PDA

View Full Version : Statting out Indiana Jones

Tyrael
2008-06-01, 07:30 PM
Well folks, having just gone and seen Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, I've recently become inspired to play a character like him in a summer campaign I'm in. However, I'm not sure what exactly Indiana Jones would be in DnD (3.5). I'm thinking perhaps a Rogue(skills)/Bard (Bardic Knowledge) with Exotic Weapon Proficiency(Whip) and the Whip Climber skill trick from Complete Scoundrel.

Any other ideas? What level would he be?

Suzuro
2008-06-01, 07:37 PM
Hey, I've actually been making a character designed after Docta Jones as well for a campaign here, it's steampunk so I can get my pistol.

I did full bard, it's a level six campaign. And I gave him profession archeology.

On a side note, what'd you think of the movie?

-Suzuro

The Glyphstone
2008-06-01, 07:43 PM
Indy's a Factotum all the way, with a lot of Font of Inspiration feats.

Oh, and George Lucas owes me $8.00 and 2.5 hours of my life back...

MeklorIlavator
2008-06-01, 07:45 PM
I would say Factotum would be a good approximation in a DnD game. In fact, I have a Factotum named Nebraska James in my current RHoD campaign right now (I know the guy, and its something of a private joke).

Bag_of_Holding
2008-06-01, 07:50 PM
Henry Jones Jr. definitely is a factotum but I don't think he has absurd amount of FoI as his feats. Sure, he pulls of a lot of tricks throughout the films but they're all divided into multiple 'encounters' that he can afford to survive without the FoI and all that.

I'd say he's around 5-7th level factotum. He hasn't quite pulled off the multiple standard action trick (by attacking multiple opponents with the bullwhip etc... hasn't happened yet, iirc), but he has shown his opportunistic piety a few times.

Oh yeah, he needs trapfinding too :smallbiggrin:

nargbop
2008-06-01, 07:53 PM
Assuming Dr. Jones always rolls 20s :smallbiggrin: , Expert would be appropriate. Now, for a PLAYABLE character, I would make a Factotum (all skills are class skills, and you get to add Factotum level to any given skill check once per day). Another option is Rogue/Bard or Scout/Bard.
Those luck- and trick-based prestige classes from Complete Scoundrel look appropriate , but I don't know how good they are in actual play. Take a look around at Trip builds and work in Exotic Weapon (whip).
If not Factotum, take the feat Able Learner (all skills are class skills).

Admiral Squish
2008-06-01, 08:16 PM
Couple things: Get a daggerwhip. You want to be useful, and it keeps the flavor, without costing more feats. It's basically a whip that can actually hurt people. Second, Improved Disarm and trip are must-haves, though you probably knew that. Whip climber, too. Hand crossbow, too, maybe. Rogues get that proficiency free, I'd like to note. Definitely factotum, maybe a rogue dip, he does do a lot of surprise attack things. Improved unarmed strike, too. For playability's sake, combat reflexes, too.

Edit: Don't forget to max Climb, Jump, Swim, Balance (maybe), and profession (Badass)/(Archeologist). Probably Appraise, Disable Device, and Know (Geography/History), too.

Jack Zander
2008-06-01, 08:53 PM
He never hurts people with his whip, though. And whips are already hella useful.

Admiral Squish
2008-06-01, 10:17 PM
He never hurts people with his whip, though. And whips are already hella useful.
Whips are about as useful as a white mage without healing spells. Yes, you can make the baddie completely unable to do anything, but at best, without a dagger-whip, you'll simply hold a stalemate endlessly. You need something to make you able to actually hurt a baddie without the help of allies, just for those special occasions.

Jack Zander
2008-06-01, 11:02 PM
Whips are about as useful as a white mage without healing spells. Yes, you can make the baddie completely unable to do anything, but at best, without a dagger-whip, you'll simply hold a stalemate endlessly. You need something to make you able to actually hurt a baddie without the help of allies, just for those special occasions.

That's why you switch weapons. Indie has a gun and his fists. He never whips people to death.

quiet1mi
2008-06-01, 11:31 PM
NO forgetting the Whip-rope skill trick!!! that is vital....

otherwise i would say...favored soul because you know that some deity is backing him up... maybe it was my homebrew deity Baron Vaon Badass...

Frosty
2008-06-01, 11:59 PM
Indie also has levels in Temple Raider of Olidimarra from Complete Divine!

RTGoodman
2008-06-02, 12:06 AM
Indy's a Factotum all the way, with a lot of Font of Inspiration feats.

Oh, and George Lucas owes me $8.00 and 2.5 hours of my life back...

Agreed on both counts there. Except I don't know about "a lot" of FoI. I'd say maybe one or two, plus EWP (Whip) and maybe some other stuff. Definitely has some skill tricks (Whip Climber or whatever).

Hawriel
2008-06-02, 12:19 AM
look up Han Solo's stats in star wars. rename Indiana Jones. take out any sci fi skill and replace them with a real world equivelent and a crap load of history, literature, arceological knowledge.

bosssmiley
2008-06-02, 04:48 AM
^ I like the way you apply meta- to this question.

Indie also has levels in Temple Raider of Olidimarra from Complete Divine!

...or the Extreme Explorer PrC from Eberron, which is basically Indy with the serial numbers filed off.

I'd just make Dr Jones as a low level rogue with Action Points coming out of his ears, substantial DR/giant mook and a b@st@rd DM. :smallbiggrin:

Dhavaer
2008-06-02, 05:17 AM
Very, very high Con, judging by that fridge trick.