PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Minions' Damage?

Goober4473
2008-06-03, 03:49 AM
So I notice in 4th Edition, minion monsters' damage is listed as a number, rather than a dice roll. This is obviously to save time. But I can;t find the rule that minion damage is supposed to be this way anywhere, or any guidelines for how the number should be arrived at.

RukiTanuki
2008-06-03, 04:19 PM
Well, honestly, are there rules in the books for creating Minions at all? My understanding was that it's not a how-to template applied to a monster.

I'd appreciate a guideline, to be sure, but if it's not there, then I could see how a specific step of said guideline isn't around either.

RTGoodman
2008-06-03, 04:21 PM
Not having access to the books yet I can't check this out, but maybe compare the minion at hand to another creature of its level and find the average damage of that creature. Minions are supposed to do what, half damage, on average or something like that, I think, as mentioned in the 4E Minions preview on the WotC site.

Dark Tira
2008-06-03, 04:24 PM
It looks like most of at least the low level minions do the average of the damage die rounded up with no stat bonuses to damage.

kc0bbq
2008-06-03, 04:27 PM
Minions generally do minimum damage. If their appropriate combat stat isn't at target it'll be slightly off from the table.

From levels 1-3 standard damage is 1d10+3 for medium damage type attacks, so it's 4, in general.

EDIT: Hmm, that can't be completely right, the minions for aboleth should be doing more damage than they are if that's the case, and they don't even do their strength bonus in damage.

I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND.

FoE
2008-06-03, 04:36 PM
I don't know if this helps, but the Legion Devils deal an additional point of damage for each five levels. A Level 6 minion deals 5 damage, a Level 11 minion deals 6 damage, etc.

kc0bbq
2008-06-03, 04:54 PM
I don't know if this helps, but the Legion Devils deal an additional point of damage for each five levels. A Level 6 minion deals 5 damage, a Level 11 minion deals 6 damage, etc.There's a level 16 minion that does 7, and one that does 8. Some do +1 damage with combat advantage, most don't. The skeleton minion does less at range than in melee, even though the stats would indicate otherwise.

I think it's just balancing what works. Minimum damage by level bumped up or down 1 (or by giving one more damage with advantage) as needed. That's the only thing I can come up with.

elliott20
2008-06-04, 09:11 AM
goob, I have to ask, do minions have to roll for attack or is the damage they do automatic?

Charity
2008-06-04, 09:28 AM
They still roll to attack, just they don't roll damage, it seems to be set to minimum.

Norsesmithy
2008-06-04, 11:03 AM
It doesn't matter where it is set, a handful of minions kill the party fast, if the party thinks they can ignore them.

elliott20
2008-06-04, 11:10 AM
I suppose that's sort of the point. minions are probably there mostly for color but when commandeered properly should pose a serious threat.