PDA

View Full Version : Uneven Gestalt Levels?

Burley
2008-06-03, 09:43 AM
In my game, I'm thinking about having my player's character's unwittingly aid in the collision of two planes: Theirs and one of almost-stopped time. The other plane is kinda like a snapshot of the current plane, which moves very slowly, but still has alternate versions of everything on the current plane. When the planes collide, the alternate versions and the "current" versions overlap and join together.
Since time is much slower, the alternate versions of the PCs would be lower levels, and have different classes since it's alternate.
Anyways, is it a bad things to have a gestalt character with uneven sides? Their original sides would be around 10-12, and their new sides would probably start around 2-3. I would, of course, give them each a limited list (out of game) for them to choose from for their other side.

kamikasei
2008-06-03, 09:51 AM
It'd be kind of weird, but I don't see it being a huge problem. It'd basically amount to a short dip in another class which wouldn't affect your level, XP, caster level etc. Not a bad idea all told.

Burley
2008-06-03, 10:26 AM
Would it be horrible if one of my players got this extra class before the others? There is a fighter, and, though he's doing damage, I get the feeling he wishes he could do more than just swing an axe. So, I wanted to add Psychic Warrior onto his fighter levels (so that the extra feats over lapped and he'd only get them once). It's basically a fighter with lower HP and extra powers, right?

Chronicled
2008-06-03, 10:34 AM
Would it be horrible if one of my players got this extra class before the others? There is a fighter, and, though he's doing damage, I get the feeling he wishes he could do more than just swing an axe. So, I wanted to add Psychic Warrior onto his fighter levels (so that the extra feats over lapped and he'd only get them once). It's basically a fighter with lower HP and extra powers, right?

Psychic Warrior bonus feats actually stack with Fighter bonus feats, since the latter is chosen from the Fighter bonus feat list only, while the former ALSO gets to choose from the feats listed as Psionic.

If he wants to do more than just swing an axe, why not give him a ToB class or a more dedicated caster (the Psychic Warrior's stuff is mostly buffs and combat tricks)? Or a skillmonkey?

AmberVael
2008-06-03, 10:35 AM
If you want to get technical, the bonus feats from Fighter and Psychic Warrior are different abilities. They have different progressions as well as different selections...
Honestly, considering the other overlap, I don't think giving him the psychic warrior feats would be a problem.
Anyways.
Yeah, essentially all he'd be gaining is the ability to use powers, if you nix feats. Once the others get their class bonuses, he might feel like he's missing out yet again.
I advise allowing him feats.

monty
2008-06-03, 11:07 AM
Just treat the other side as if it had +X level adjustment.