PDA

View Full Version : Fellow PC needs help deciding...

McClintock
2008-06-03, 12:59 PM
.. on what to play.

He's started with a level of Paladin and has recently taken a level of Fighter, but he is willing to change them out.

We need to stay core & completes with BoED recently added to the mix tentatively. He played a Rogue/Drow Paragon/Fighter to level 20 and loved it. He's looking for something rogueish, that will stand out and hold its own.

Any Ideas?

We are playing the Shackled City adventure path (Presently without a rogue)

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-03, 01:05 PM
Is there an Arcane spellcaster? If not, the Beguiller would be a good choice. Scouts and Wilderness Rogues probably wouldn't fit, and I've heard that Ninjas aren't that good. Spellthief could be an option if there will be a lot of magic-using enemies.

McClintock
2008-06-03, 01:14 PM
we will have a cleric/mage-MT (dumb I know, but its what he wants to do)
a warlock
a monk (VoP)
and my warblade

so we probably won't need an arcane caster, not sure about casting enemies.

he just told me that he is thinking about rogue/dungeon delver... any opinions?

monty
2008-06-03, 01:26 PM
MT isn't a real casting class (unless you use a full-casting PrC). Beguiler is a good choice.

An idea for the MT, if he's willing to try it:
Since you're adding in BoED, Apostle of Peace gives full divine casting over 10 levels, and gets 2nd level spells in 2 levels. If he (and the rest of the party) can handle all the RP issues, Wizard 7 / AoP 2 / MT 8 / Wizard 3 will give you 9th level divine spells at 16th level and 9th level arcane spells at 19, considerably better than a Wiz/Clr MT.

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-03, 01:26 PM
I think there is a Ranger variant which gets Trapfinding and Open Lock and Disable Device as class skills in place of Tracking and Ride (I think). Perhaps you could combine that feature with the Urban Ranger variant which is mentioned on page 93 of http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf . It would fit with the setting while fulfilling the Rogue role as long as you keep Search, Disable Device, Open Lock, Hide and Move Silently maxed out.

FlyMolo
2008-06-03, 01:28 PM
I looked at this and it screams CRUSADER. at me. SCREAMS it.

It's martial and godly and right up his alley.

And you are using ToB, so there.

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-03, 01:30 PM
Are Crusaders able to handle stealth and traps? I'm not famliar with the class, but I thought they were similar to Paladins fluff and abilitywise.

FlyMolo
2008-06-03, 01:32 PM
Are Crusaders able to handle stealth and traps? I'm not famliar with the class, but I thought they were similar to Paladins fluff and abilitywise.

They are. Okay, lesson learned to read the whole post. Paladin/fighter=crusader, but if he's looking for something roguey, I suggest rogue. Halfling rogue/whisperknife, or Warlock and Dervish.

Warlock until you get invisibility, and Dervish so you can sneak attack everyone all at once.

Johnny Blade
2008-06-03, 01:36 PM
he just told me that he is thinking about rogue/dungeon delver... any opinions?
Yeah: it sucks.
A bit blunt, I know, but it adds almost nothing to your combat capabilities.

Seeing how he already took levels as a Fighter and a Paladin, ever thought about the Shadowbane Inquisitor?
The class would be appropriate for your group's power level and - without giving away too much - the Shackled City campaign.
It's in the Complete Adventurer.

They don't get too many skill points per level (4, I think), but he could share skill monkey duties with you and the Monk, I presume.