PDA

View Full Version : Need 4e Help already!

SamTheCleric
2008-06-04, 08:29 AM
So, my local gaming store is doing midnight madness sale... as well as a day long session of gaming on saturday. The 5pm to 7pm game is "build a 5th level character. 7 people at the table at any given time. Roll randomly for encounters... if you die, you're replaced with the next person in line. Last man standing wins"

5th level survivability vs random encounters scares me. I was thinking of an Elf Ranger for the mobility and distance advantage... but maybe you guys have a better idea than me.

Chronicled
2008-06-04, 09:10 AM
Last man standing... strategically, someone who can run or hide well enough to not die if you're losing (or even targeted) would work nice. As would someone who could easily dispatch an almost dead "teammate"...

SamTheCleric
2008-06-04, 09:10 AM
I don't know the rules on fighting each other... :P

But yes... I was thinking of the "better part of valor"... run away and let everyone else take the damage... :smallbiggrin:

Scintillatus
2008-06-04, 09:11 AM
MM races in?

SamTheCleric
2008-06-04, 09:12 AM
Pretty sure its just PHB (its just a simple thing that the store owner threw together, so I doubt its going to get very complicated)

Scintillatus
2008-06-04, 09:15 AM
Eladrin Rogue or Ranger, going for outright maneuverability. Use your teleport when everything goes Pete Tong, get yourself a gigantic AC, fight ranged so your buddies are the ones taking damage.

Or; Dragonborn Paladin, going for huge hit point total and insane healing surges. Get toughness, get durable, etc.

Dark Tira
2008-06-04, 09:22 AM
I think a fey-pact warlock could do well. Eyebite alone keeps you relatively safe. Add in free concealment and lots of teleportations and even if you don't have the top AC in the party you'll probably redirect most of the attention to other party member.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-04, 12:17 PM
Here's what I have so far...

http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=13327

No powers as of yet.. cause... well... I'm at work. :smallbiggrin:

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-04, 12:23 PM
Eladrin Mage or Archery ranger.

See, the idea is not to be pummelled, and with movement, you're going to screw every meleer. Then, if someone SOMEHOW gets close, both builds have something to keep the enemies away. The ranger moves out. The wizard Thunderwaves the enemies way. It's probably the best option, though you should try to find some way to use multiple hhealing surges. Possibly a cleric multiclass.

Starsinger
2008-06-04, 12:24 PM
I have to say, if you're going warlock, Infernal pact seems pretty sturdy. Con is your primary stat which means more starting hp and more surges. Plus, whenever a foe that you've cursed dies, you get temporary hit points. Take the hellfire pact feat which makes you get even more. Infernal pact seems to be all about the temporary hp, which is a good deal to me. Why avoid damage when you can survive it?

SamTheCleric
2008-06-04, 12:25 PM
Possibly a cleric multiclass.

I considered this, especially with my 16 wisdom... would work out nicely.

Tengu
2008-06-04, 12:29 PM
I have to say, if you're going warlock, Infernal pact seems pretty sturdy. Con is your primary stat which means more starting hp and more surges. Plus, whenever a foe that you've cursed dies, you get temporary hit points. Take the hellfire pact feat which makes you get even more. Infernal pact seems to be all about the temporary hp, which is a good deal to me. Why avoid damage when you can survive it?

If you're so tanky, why did you stay away at the back all the time? :smalltongue:

Draz74
2008-06-04, 12:42 PM
I vote Dwarf Warlord, with the whole "be so durable you just can't be taken down" concept. And the "get your allies into troublesome spots if they are too eager to take advantage of your "helpful" abilities that give them bonus attacks" concept.

Yakk
2008-06-04, 12:42 PM
I'm curious about the stealth rules. Can you make yourself sneaky and disappear from the map?

Remember that a human can charge a target 12 squares away. So getting range while still fighting is hard.

How will they encourage anyone to kill anyone, and not just hide in their corner of the map?

Teaming up will be deadly.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-04, 12:44 PM
I'm curious about the stealth rules. Can you make yourself sneaky and disappear from the map?

Remember that a human can charge a target 12 squares away. So getting range while still fighting is hard.

How will they encourage anyone to kill anyone, and not just hide in their corner of the map?

Yeah, I plan on making alliances :)

I don't think its all that serious, just a fun little death fest. Im curious if we use our encounter powers and daily powers... that's it. :P

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-04, 12:44 PM

Rogues can do that. But not at such a low level.

RTGoodman
2008-06-04, 01:35 PM
Well, a Teleportation-focuses Eladrin Fey-Warlock seems like one of the most mobile builds (from what I've heard about them). However, I was thinking you might want to look into Halflings - they get that ability to force rerolls once per encounter, I think, so that could save you. Or if you're allowed monstrous races, play a Gnome - they get that ability that lets them become invisible, and that could come in handy.

If you're going for tankiness, maybe do a multiclass Leader/Defender - that'll get you some staying power, plus the ability to use healing surges better. Don't know any specifics, yet, but you've got the books and can look it up yourself. :smallwink: