PDA

View Full Version : Can I do that?

Cowboy_ninja
2008-06-04, 10:33 AM
This is on 3.5 ( i havent had a chance to look at 4e yet)

Concept: 2 weapon fighter- Primary weapon unarmed strike, offhand weapon greatsword ( or other 2 handed weapon)

can i? my unarmed strikes would be with my foot, knee, forehead, and any other body part that doesnt include my hands which are used to hold my 2 handed weapon.

any rules against it?

Kyeudo
2008-06-04, 10:40 AM
Any rules against it? not really.

Any reason to actual do it? not really.

Since your offhand attack is not light, you'll end up taking a hefty penalty on that attack, your damage will suffer since an unarmed strike is 1d2 damage IIRC, and you can't enchant an unarmed strike without going into Kensai.

KillianHawkeye
2008-06-04, 07:40 PM
Yes, you could do that.

However, it would make a lot more sense to primary with the greatsword and follow up with an unarmed strike. (You'd take less penalties that way.) Also keep in mind that unless you are a Monk your unarmed strike will be locked at 1d3 damage (if you're Medium-sized), and unless you have Improved Unarmed Strike your unarmed attacks will provoke AoOs.

JackMage666
2008-06-04, 08:19 PM
Yes, you could do that.

However, it would make a lot more sense to primary with the greatsword and follow up with an unarmed strike. (You'd take less penalties that way.) Also keep in mind that unless you are a Monk your unarmed strike will be locked at 1d3 damage (if you're Medium-sized), and unless you have Improved Unarmed Strike your unarmed attacks will provoke AoOs.

All true, except you could also take the feat Superior Unarmed Strike (in Tome of Battle) to increase unarmed strike damage.

I'll just say good luck with this though. You're going to need it.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-06-04, 08:37 PM
Your question seems to be: which is more powerful? An unarmed strike plus a two-handed weapon, or two one handed weapons?, With or without the Improved Unarmed Strike feat, the answer is going to be the latter, unless you use one of the following options:

1) Monk Levels
2) Slap together some homebrew class (assuming your DM approves) that is a Monk/Fighter hybrid, call it something like Enlightened Blade, Steelmonk, or Enlightened Disciple of Stabby-Kicking
3) Get a Monk's Belt (magical item in the DMG) to boost your unarmed strike damage.
4) There is some feat in the Eberron book that lets you treat the longsword as a monk weapon. Perhaps convince the DM that a greatsword isn't that far of a stretch?
5) Is your race picked out yet? If you are a human, you can multiclass between monk and fighter. If you are a shifter (from Eberron), you could call your unarmed strikes natural weapons (claws on your feet), take Improved Natural Weapon (again, from Races of Eberron) and go berskerk. Or, if your DM rules that unarmed strikes from a human qualify as natural weapons, just take Improved Natural Weapon (it treats your fists as if they were one size category bigger).

Sorry if I was too longwinded there.

de-trick
2008-06-04, 09:10 PM
id go monks belt and call it a day

The Necroswanso
2008-06-04, 09:14 PM
I'd just go with a Feral Gargun monk with MWP Greatsword, and Superior Unarmed Strike, and call it a day. LA and racial HD FTW.

Hm.. I don't think I simplified those statments enough.

Take 2: I j/g w/FG w/MWPGS w/SUS. LA+HD=FTW.

Whoo! 45cent article!

Cowboy_ninja
2008-06-07, 06:30 PM
i was more thinking of a way to get all the awsomeness of 1.5 str and power attacking with a 2 handed weapon while getting in a little kick at the end. Pure style.

i kinda forgot where i was going with this build but i think the above is about right. i could not find the thread to see if anyone had responed to it. Is there a quick way to check your past threads/posts? this is a question of how to use the forum more efficently.:smallredface:

marjan
2008-06-07, 06:39 PM
i was more thinking of a way to get all the awsomeness of 1.5 str and power attacking with a 2 handed weapon while getting in a little kick at the end.

In the OP it sounded like you wanted to use greatsword as an off-hand weapon, which is not good idea. "Little kick in the end" can be achieved more efficiently with armor spikes as your weapon (but you won't get any benefit from PA if you go this route), or using natural weapons like bite (Shifter with Longtooth or Warforged with Jaws of Death), or tail slap (Half-Dragon with a Dragon Tail).

Is there a quick way to check your past threads/posts? this is a question of how to use the forum more efficently.:smallredface:

Click your name on one of your posts, then choose "View public Profile" and you should have options for finding your previous threads and posts.

EDIT: Read this (http://forum.zaister.de/viewtopic.php?id=5). It's related to your signature. :smallwink: