PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Illumians

Edea
2008-06-04, 06:37 PM
Thanks go to SamTheCleric for helping me balance out some of the unique racial powers. We both also came up with the idea to turn some of the parts of the illumian racial traits into racial feats, one at each tier.

This was made mainly due to lack of an Int/Wis race in the core rules atm. Hopefully this will be a useful conversion.

Illumian
===========================================
Average Height: 5'6" - 6'2"
Average Weight: 140-240 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Normal
Langauges: Common and any one other language
Skill Bonuses: +2 Arcana, +2 Religion
Luminous Sigil: Can exude light equivalent to
that of a candle as a minor action (sustain
minor). When active, provides a +1 racial bonus
to Will saving throws.
Multiclass Mastery: Select a multiclass
initiate feat at 1st level as a bonus feat.

Heroic Racial Feat:
Expanded Luminous Sigil:
When using Luminous Sigil, increases the
light to torch light in strength, and gives
everyone a +1 power bonus to Will defense who is
in line of sight to the illumian.

Paragon Racial Feat:
Power Sigil: For a move action, provides a +1
bonus to attack rolls while your Luminous Sigil
is active (sustain move).

Epic Racial Feat:
Illumian Word: You can use Illumian Word as an
encounter power.

Illumian Word Illumian Racial Power
------------------------------------------------
The sigils around your head start spinning
rapidly, and give off a blast of light as you
speak a word of power, channeling your
knowledge into an ally.
------------------------------------------------
Encounter * Arcane
Standard Action Ranged 10
Targets: One ally
Effect: Choose one of your at-will powers. For
the remainder of the encounter, the affected target
can use that power as an encounter power. This
ability can only be used once per encounter.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-04, 06:38 PM
Personally, I think this is a fine piece of work... but I may be biased.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-04, 06:52 PM
Multiclassing bonus as part of the race?

B0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000RKEEEE EEEED!

Also, Illumian word is completely useless. One use of an at will power? Colour me unimpressed.

Sounds like the class would make a great mage, though.

Xefas
2008-06-04, 08:16 PM
Multiclassing bonus as part of the race?

B0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000RKEEEE EEEED!

I hope you're joking. It's just a bonus feat that you don't get to choose. A Human can spend their bonus feat on a Multiclass feat at first level, too.

The ability to give an At-Will power as an Encounter to an ally is cool, and I could see several situations where it would be useful. That said, it should be a Paragon feat and not Epic.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-04, 09:19 PM
I hope you're joking. It's just a bonus feat that you don't get to choose. A Human can spend their bonus feat on a Multiclass feat at first level, too.

The ability to give an At-Will power as an Encounter to an ally is cool, and I could see several situations where it would be useful. That said, it should be a Paragon feat and not Epic.

Nope, no joke. Consider that multiclass feats are, far and away, the best ones, with only PA or Durable coming close in usefulness.

And remember that humans have only ONE good score, to compensate for all the goodies they get.

With the stats an Illumian has, you're set up for a tremendous Cleric/Wizard multiclass.

On the subject of granting powers, how many at wills are useful at high levels? Thunderwave is about the only one I can find that is consistently useful, because of the OA you get if it hits.

Xefas
2008-06-04, 09:53 PM
On the subject of granting powers, how many at wills are useful at high levels? Thunderwave is about the only one I can find that is consistently useful, because of the OA you get if it hits.

Thunderwave causes Forced Movement, which does not grant an Opportunity Attack. Player's Handbook Page 285.

Forced Movement does not provoke opportunity attacks or other opportunity actions.

However, I can see the advantage of a Paladin giving a Radiant Damaging attack to fight Undead or a Wizard giving Scorching Burst for taking out a wave of minions. A Cleric could give Sacred Flame to get more Saving Throws around the table. A Warlord could give Commander's Strike to an immobilized, slowed, or impeded ally so they can deal so decent damage while outside the immediate fray. Sure, it's situational, but so are most of the other feats.

Squash Monster
2008-06-06, 01:22 AM
I quite like it, though it actually strikes me as a little underpowered. Compared to humans, you get one more stat bonus and a free candle whereas the human gets extra freedom in choice of bonus feat, an extra at-will power and +1 to three defenses.

The +int/+wis combo doesn't exist in any current races, but you can bet your pants that WotC will publish a race that fills that soon. Sure it works really well with wizards, but almost all the other races work really well with some class or another so it can hardly be considered an advantage.

An extra racial feature really can be justified here. Personally, I'd suggest bringing sigil choice back in some capacity. A lot of the sigil combinations let you substitute one ability for another for certain actions; perhaps you could make it a simple choice of being able to pick a certain stat substitution that you could make for one power per encounter. For example, I could make an Illumian wizard/fighter and be able to use Intelligence as Strength for one fighter power per encounter.