PDA

View Full Version : Help Running a Pre-made Adventure

Enguhl
2008-06-04, 09:21 PM
So I finally broke down and decided to get a pre-made adventure. I looked at 'Expedition to the Undermountain' and decided it would be a good one. My question is, it says for adventurers of levels 1-10, but most of the things in it seem horribly more powerful. The first set encounter has a CR 5 creature.
Is this something I would really want to send level 1 characters into?
(Perhaps I am reading the level thing wrong, does it mean it takes them from 1-10 or something else?)

Lycan 01
2008-06-04, 09:23 PM
Perhaps you should just switch things up a bit, and put a slightly weaker monster in its stead? I mean, surely a small tweak like that won't ruin the game...

MeklorIlavator
2008-06-04, 09:26 PM
Check the monster's tactics: depending on what it does it could be much easier. And Cr+4 encounters, while tough and likely the only encounter for the day, should be doable if they play it smart.

KillianHawkeye
2008-06-04, 09:34 PM
When an adventure says it's "for characters from X to Y level" it means that you can start with 4 level X characters and you will end up with 4 level Y characters. If you have more or less players in your group, you either need to adjust the starting level or the encounter difficulties to make up for it.

I haven't played Expedition to Undermountain, but I've heard that it contains some very challenging combat encounters and it's pretty ruthless if done out of order.

nargbop
2008-06-04, 10:08 PM
Be generous with roleplaying XP. Insert a character you know and love to stand around in the tavern and have a rollicking conversation before going off to do out-of-plotline things. Arrange with one player in secret to be a counter-agent.:smallbiggrin:

nargbop
2008-06-04, 10:11 PM
Be generous with roleplaying XP. Insert a character you know and love to stand around in the tavern and have a rollicking conversation before going off to do out-of-plotline things. Arrange with one player in secret to be a counter-agent.:smallbiggrin: