PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica

Illiterate Scribe
2008-06-05, 05:36 AM
I just read his article (http://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/home/articles-archive.php).

I'm fairly angry right now. Almost this angry: :smallfurious:

To assuage it, let's talk about how good the Re-Imagining is.

So, the Last Cylon - who is it, in your opinion?

LBO
2008-06-05, 06:18 AM
Pffft, grumpy old git bawwing about GRIMDARK. Sure, old BSG was fun enough in its campy, silly stock-footage way, but I do prefer a superior helping of death, hate, mindscrew and despair, and anyone who can talk about "family values" with a straight face just annoys me.

kamikasei
2008-06-05, 06:28 AM
Huh.

I'd heard he'd written something criticizing the new show and especially the changes to Starbuck, back when it was young, but I was under the impression it was about the fact that they had (in his eyes) changed Starbuck's gender because you couldn't get away with a male character behaving like she did. The actual article is much heavier on misogyny and sour grapes than I'd expected. Interesting that apparently the new Starbuck is just the old Starbuck castrated, as if moving from male to female is a purely subtractive process.

:smallannoyed:

I've actually gone off the new series. After a great start, season three went waaaay downhill, and season four doesn't seem to be picking up at all. I'm basically waiting until the show is over (or possibly before, with sufficiently compelling reports) to hear whether it actually redeemed itself and then finish watching the fourth season if so.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-06-05, 08:46 AM
Kamikasei - yeah, 3 did tail off a bit during the middle, but the final two episodes were teh awesome.

mentatzarkon
2008-06-05, 11:54 AM
Yeah, the article smacks heavily of "Let me tell you sonny, in my day etc etc" type nostalgia. Mixed with a little bit of bitterness about the turn Hollywood has taken. I think his points about how television and movies are increasingly bland garbage (read pablum) designed to maximize profits and minimize risk is legit, but it doesn't stop him from being a jerk for saying it out loud.

Anyway, regarding the OP's question, I really enjoy the new Starbuck, I'd even go so far as to say she's my favorite character in the series. The whole messiah thing they have going on with her is a little wierd, but unlike most of the other characters, she's morally consistent. Not in a christian/protestant sort of way, but based on her own standard of morality, which is admittedly fairly amoral (from that 50s family values perspective).

Also, I'm betting on Dualla, just because they've already created a pattern with Saul-Adama, Tory-Roslin, so they need Dualla-Lee just to wrap it up. For a brief amusement check out the odds on this at http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/05/betting-site-la.html