PDA

View Full Version : Doomguy & Gordon Freeman vs. a Space Marine

Eerie
2008-06-05, 01:28 PM
Set: Gordon Freeman with full HL-2 weapons and ammo, including Gravity Gun (but not Supercharged). The Doomguy with full Doom-2 weapons and ammo. Regular W40K Space Marine with full weapons and ammo. Additionally, Gordon and Doomguy have encrypted radio communication.

They begin in a destroyed megalopolis covered with jungle, with lots of urban and forest enviroments and lots of open areas, too. They start at a distance of 5 kilometers. They are aware of each other.

There are lots of ammo stashes hidden (but not well hidden) all through the area, so running out of ammo is not a problem.

Who wins?

Illiterate Scribe
2008-06-05, 01:35 PM
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/7703/picture12kn2.png

And Space Marine was a zombie.

chiasaur11
2008-06-05, 01:43 PM
Indeed.
Freeman, despite his skills, his weapons, his knowledge, and his killer bug minions, is kinda irrelevant here.

Space Marines, with huge armor and bio-engineering, fight the forces of (sorta) hell constantly. With back up.

The Doomguy, with similar guns, no bio mods, and weaker armor, BLEW UP HELL.

I'm giving it to the Doomguy.

SurlySeraph
2008-06-05, 01:44 PM
@Illiterate Scribe: If I didn't want to see this discussion keep going, I'd say /thread right there.

I'd say that the pair can definitely take an SM out together. Gordon Freeman isn't going to be that effective, since his armor-piercing weapons are limited to 5 or so grenades, 3 rocket-propelled grenades, and 3 Combine energy orbs, and his only really long-range weapon is the crossbow (which, in the unlikely event that the SM can't dodge it, will just bounce off his armor). However, those weapons are enough to at least hurt the SM, and Gordon is a smart man. He can likely set up a trap for the SM, and he can definitely coordinate an ambush with the Doom guy.

The Doom guy, on the other hand, definitely has the firepower to hurt the Marine. His weapons are very powerful, and with ammo caches around he can just spam out railgun shots or BFG blasts or other insanely powerful attacks until the SM dies.

It's true that the SM might kill one of them first, but both of them are well-defended. Gordon has decent power armor that has good energy shields; it can survive at least one rocket, so it'll probably hold up to a few bolter rounds. The Doom guy doesn't have terribly good armor, but he's a tremendous badass. Shooting high-explosive armor-piercing rounds into his torso doesn't make him dead, it makes him angrier. He'll hold up long enough to hit the Space Marine a couple times with the BFG, and that'll end the fight.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-06-05, 01:50 PM
Exactly. Even normally, John Stalvern can kill the demons by shotting them with his palsma rifle; if he has a berserker pack, then I fear for our space marine.

stm177
2008-06-05, 02:38 PM
Two guys with Plot Armor vs. a faceless, albeit powerful, mook. You gotta give it to the them.

Eerie
2008-06-05, 02:40 PM
Two guys with Plot Armor vs. a faceless, albeit powerful, mook. You gotta give it to the them.

There is no such thing as a Plot Armor in freaking discussion VS. thread...

LordVader
2008-06-05, 02:42 PM
Agreed. This is hardly fair. At least make it a Marine worthy of note. It's going to be a lot harder to bring down Kayvaan Shrike than it is Generic Battle Brother #5.

If destroying Hell is what we're looking for, why not Ragnar Blackmane? He's severly wounded a DAEMON PRIMARCH, parachuted onto a Daemon World in the Eye of Terror itself on an almost-certain suicide mission, fought a thousands of years old Chaos Sorceror as an initiate and beat him, etc, etc.

Now that's a fight.
@^-Indeed, Plot Armor is meaningless BS in a Vs. thread.
And can I get a link to Doom2 weapons somewhere? I'd like to see them.

Bayar
2008-06-05, 02:48 PM
Why does Godon Freeman have acces only to HL2 arsenal ? It is very restricted. Give him the HL arsenal and he basically owns anything. Gauss gun anyone ?

And the crossbow bolts from HL2 wont bounce off the armor. Have you seen them in HL2 ? They are powerful enough to sqewer a fully armored combine soldier to a freaking wall and let him hang there.

chiasaur11
2008-06-05, 02:58 PM
Agreed. This is hardly fair. At least make it a Marine worthy of note. It's going to be a lot harder to bring down Kayvaan Shrike than it is Generic Battle Brother #5.

If destroying Hell is what we're looking for, why not Ragnar Blackmane? He's severly wounded a DAEMON PRIMARCH, parachuted onto a Daemon World in the Eye of Terror itself on an almost-certain suicide mission, fought a thousands of years old Chaos Sorceror as an initiate and beat him, etc, etc.

Now that's a fight.
@^-Indeed, Plot Armor is meaningless BS in a Vs. thread.
And can I get a link to Doom2 weapons somewhere? I'd like to see them.

Actually, that's kinda what I'm talking about. The big deal guys in Warhammer, at their best, kill one or two major demons. Doomguy, who's basically a grunt, destroyed Hell.

Eerie
2008-06-05, 03:11 PM
Actually, that's kinda what I'm talking about. The big deal guys in Warhammer, at their best, kill one or two major demons. Doomguy, who's basically a grunt, destroyed Hell.

It wasn`t the same Hell.

LordVader
2008-06-05, 03:15 PM

You do realize that a Daemon Primarch is on about the same power level as Satan himself? :smalltongue: And Ragnar destroyed a Daemon World, which is essentially Hell.

I was also under the impression that Doomguy pretty much just pwned zombies, demons, ghosts, and then a series of really huge demons and robots. This is quite feasible for a Marine.

Bayar
2008-06-05, 03:20 PM
I was also under the impression that Doomguy pretty much just pwned zombies, demons, ghosts, and then a series of really huge demons and robots. This is quite feasible for a Marine.

Give him the soul cube from doom 3, 5 demons to kill prior to the fight and watch as he annihilates anything (even a big ****ing Guy :smallbiggrin:) with it.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-06-05, 03:26 PM
Also, what you've got to remember is that John Stalvern, the Doom Guy, is the demons. (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/836450/1/DOOM_Repercussions_of_Evil)

Remember to factor that in.

chiasaur11
2008-06-05, 06:24 PM
Also, what you've got to remember is that John Stalvern, the Doom Guy, is the demons. (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/836450/1/DOOM_Repercussions_of_Evil)

Remember to factor that in.

What a SHOCKING TWIST!
But wait! How could John NOT kill the demons, when we saw him kill the demons? Plot hole!

GoC
2008-06-05, 07:35 PM
You do realize that a Daemon Primarch is on about the same power level as Satan himself? :smalltongue:
How do you know this?

Illiterate Scribe
2008-06-05, 07:36 PM
What a SHOCKING TWIST!
But wait! How could John NOT kill the demons, when we saw him kill the demons? Plot hole!

I cannot answer you because YOU ARE HEADCRAB ZOMBIE!

chiasaur11
2008-06-05, 08:12 PM
I cannot answer you because YOU ARE HEADCRAB ZOMBIE!

No, it's just a hat from Ravenholm's weekly picnic.

The stains are Ketchup!

LordVader
2008-06-05, 08:34 PM
How do you know this?
Simple abilities. Magnus the Red has been proven to be able to bring thousands of souls back to life, corrupt an entire Chapter of Space Marines, create entire Daemon Worlds, etc, etc. Essentially, physical and supernatural manipulation on a MASSIVE scale. The Primarchs were already really tough; one fused with the supernatural ability of Tzeentch is ridiculous.

AND THEN JOHN SHOT THE HEADCRAB ZOMBIE EVEN THOUGH HE HAD NO WEPONS

Rutee
2008-06-05, 09:00 PM
Only Satan? SMs just dropped a rung on my list.

In seriousness, didn't the Doom guy kill Satan? Are you /sure/ Magnus isn't tougher then that?

LordVader
2008-06-05, 09:17 PM
I'd give good odds that Magnus is in fact tougher than the Doom version of the Devil. He seems to demonstrate more individual power, anyways.

Cybren
2008-06-05, 09:47 PM
The doom guy, less frequently known as Flynn Taggart from the stellar examples of writing the third party novelizations were, took on hell itself and won. Unfortunately other than the BFG i don't think his weaponry is actually that good. He had what, a generic pistol, and a shotgun? A rocket launcher?

Gordon Freeman has the gravity gun i guess. I don't know why he's limited to his HL2 arsenel. No Gluon Gun?

(also, no Duke Nukem? Bill Rizer? Lance Beam?)

GoC
2008-06-05, 10:05 PM
Simple abilities. Magnus the Red has been proven to be able to bring thousands of souls back to life, corrupt an entire Chapter of Space Marines, create entire Daemon Worlds, etc, etc. Essentially, physical and supernatural manipulation on a MASSIVE scale. The Primarchs were already really tough; one fused with the supernatural ability of Tzeentch is ridiculous.

Wow.:smalleek:
Does he do that on a daily basis?

chiasaur11
2008-06-05, 10:15 PM
The doom guy, less frequently known as Flynn Taggart from the stellar examples of writing the third party novelizations were, took on hell itself and won. Unfortunately other than the BFG i don't think his weaponry is actually that good. He had what, a generic pistol, and a shotgun? A rocket launcher?

Gordon Freeman has the gravity gun i guess. I don't know why he's limited to his HL2 arsenel. No Gluon Gun?

Actually, that gives him better odds.
Taking on hell with advanced weaponry: somewhat impressive
With the guns Not-flynn-taggart-since-Flynn-only-fought-aliens had:
You run from the man who can do tht as fast as you can.

Fri
2008-06-06, 12:56 AM
Indeed.
Freeman, despite his skills, his weapons, his knowledge, and his killer bug minions, is kinda irrelevant here.

With his MIT education at least he can push switches and put astray cables into its place.

puppyavenger
2008-06-08, 03:44 PM

The eye of Terror is one of those places that GW never bothers to right about, but I'm guessing creating a planet that imdideatly liviable would take a bit of effort.

puppyavenger
2008-06-08, 03:51 PM

The eye of Terror is one of those places that GW never bothers to right about, but I'm guessing creating a planet that imdideatly liviable would take a bit of effort.
and Dooms Satan is just a giant cyborg from hell(literaly:smallbiggrin:)

Griemont
2008-06-08, 04:12 PM
Doomguy+BFG=Everyone dies.

But honestly, I'd give Freeman his HL1 arsenal; his weapons from HL2 seemed mostly anti-personnel in nature with a few anti-armor weapons, whereas with all the stuff he had in the first Half-Life, the amount of devastation he wreaked seems almost plausible.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-06-08, 04:21 PM
AND THEN JOHN SHOT THE HEADCRAB ZOMBIE EVEN THOUGH HE HAD NO WEPONS

I'm glad someone got the reference. I NOW BE HAPPY SOUL.

He's John Stalvern. Period. End of story.

I'd say that Kurt, of MDK, would stand a very good chance against a SPESS MEHREEN. That might be on account of his head-mounted nuclear missile launcher, though.

GoC
2008-06-08, 05:43 PM
So these are one-off events?
How powerful are the things primarches do on a regular basis?

chiasaur11
2008-06-08, 08:55 PM
I'm glad someone got the reference. I NOW BE HAPPY SOUL.

He's John Stalvern. Period. End of story.

I'd say that Kurt, of MDK, would stand a very good chance against a SPESS MEHREEN. That might be on account of his head-mounted nuclear missile launcher, though.

Not to mention the world's most interesting bomb. What space marine could resist that?

Talkkno
2008-06-08, 10:39 PM
So these are one-off events?
How powerful are the things primarches do on a regular basis?

The Primarch's rival the Emperor in their own specilities, and consider that the Emperor was create a physic blast "More chorent then a laser, more powerful then a supernova" and stop time in a local area. One of the Primarch's with bare hands took down a Avatar of Khaine and a Eldar Wraithlord. Consider that the Avatar of Khaine can easily go toe to toe with a Titan, which sport single digit gigaton weaponary. They take down a Greater Deamon without a sweat, which in the novel Grey Knights, took several regiments(Including vechiles.) combined firepower for several hours to take down while it's inert and utterly helpless, not to meation the Grey Knights forrmiddable antideamonic weaponary.

Dervag
2008-06-08, 11:04 PM
I'd say that compared to the weapons available in Warhammer, Gordon's got some weapons that even a Space Marine can't afford to ignore. He's fighting Combine soldiers who are almost certainly better armored than Imperial Guardsmen (Armor save 5+); maybe about equal to the unpowered Carapace Armor (4+) worn by the elites of the Guard.

Since Space Marine armor is only a 3+, I imagine Gordon's got a credible chance of bringing down the Marine with his weapons.

Doomguy has even bigger weapons, so he could probably do it too. Since both of them are on the kind of power level where the Space Marines would be looking to recruit them, and arguably on a skill level where they would be among the best of the Space Marines, I'm giving it to the heroic duo.

Dr. Freeman took down the Gonarch and Nihilanth on Xen, both of which were beings of considerable power and toughness. Doomguy's credentials need no expansion from me.

I think the two of them could do it.

Talkkno
2008-06-09, 12:50 AM
I'd say that compared to the weapons available in Warhammer, Gordon's got some weapons that even a Space Marine can't afford to ignore. He's fighting Combine soldiers who are almost certainly better armored than Imperial Guardsmen (Armor save 5+); maybe about equal to the unpowered Carapace Armor (4+) worn by the elites of the Guard.

Using game mechanics.....:smallannoyed:
Flak Armor can handily make a lasgun bolt survivable, and lasguns are a mangtidue more powerful then modern day weaponary at the very least. Imperial Guard issue helmets can resist a bolt pistol shot, exploding dead on with mininal injury to wearer(For the Emperor.)

konfeta
2008-06-09, 01:56 AM
Well, realistically speaking, what are GF's weapons that can hurt a Space Marine?

1.Gluon Gun - strong enough to tear down a Gargantuan (those giant things that shoot flamethrowers and stomp red beams of doom at you)
2.Gauss Gun - fully charged, goes through most forms of matter
3.Gravity Gun - more of a thinking man's weapon, mostly useful if the SM will chuck a grenade at Gordon. If supercharged, this is over before it begins. Supercharged GG instagibs anything it can pick up.
4.Dark Energy orbs - Doubtful that it can hit the SM, they are slow, and not known if it will pierce the SM's armor.

I guess, the best, in order, is 2, 1, 4, 3.

The Gauss gun has extreme penetrative power - it goes through almost a foot of steel plate in the test labs without losing any real potency. It's instant. All Gordon needs to do is charge it up and fire it at SM in a critical area (a splattered skull or severed throat or the spinal cord should do it). The problem, of course, is surviving that long and accurately hitting the SM.

The Guon gun should tear down a Space Marine. That thing can take on the equivalent of a biological tank, something the Tyranids would use if it was more spiky and had more acid. The problem is, it takes time and keeping the stream on the target.

The Dark Energy orbs, assuming they penetrate the SM armor, disintegrate him. Problem is, these orbs are SLOOOOW and make a very distinct noise while being highly visible.

The Gravity Gun, well, Gordon's best bet is to chuck a weapon SM uses against him back. Highly unlikely, though. If the GG is supercharged, it's over for the SM as soon as he is in range of it's pull. The thing instantly kills any human it picks up, presumably by turning his insides into mush or through eneregy-thingmajiking his life into non-existence.

As for the Doommarine? Dude, the guy can take on a giant Demon with a built in Rocketlauncher with his bare hands. No contest. He wins for the badass factor alone.

13_CBS
2008-06-09, 07:26 AM
The Space Marine is HUGE! That must mean he has HUGE GUTS!

Rip and tear!

(To which the SM responds, "Ah, the chain sword. The great communicator!")

GoC
2008-06-09, 10:03 AM
The Primarch's rival the Emperor in their own specilities, and consider that the Emperor was create a physic blast "More chorent then a laser, more powerful then a laser" and stop time in a local area.
The bolded part just doesn't make sense!:smalleek: It says nothing about power.:smallconfused:
Stopping time in a local area is roughly what D&D wizards do every day.

One of the Primarch's with bare hands took down a Avatar of Khaine and a Eldar Wraithlord. Consider that the Avatar of Khaine can easily go toe to toe with a Titan, which sport single digit gigaton weaponary. They take down a Greater Deamon without a sweat, which in the novel Grey Knights, took several regiments(Including vechiles.) combined firepower for several hours to take down while it's inert and utterly helpless, not to meation the Grey Knights forrmiddable antideamonic weaponary.
What do you mean by "gigaton weaponry"? They unleash energy equivalent to gigatons of TNT on each shot?
If so I've got a spoilered rant for you:
You do realize that means that every time they fire the city or army they are facing disintegrates? And tyranids are suddenly no longer a credible threat? And after a couple of shots the planet they are fighting on experiences a nuclear winter? And armor is suddenly as effective as paper?
Which kind of Titan are we talking about?
Do primarches take down the Greater Deamons physically or using telepathy/whatever?
Do most of them commonly fight the Avatar of Khaine?

Dervag
2008-06-09, 08:56 PM
Using game mechanics.....:smallannoyed:
Flak Armor can handily make a lasgun bolt survivable, and lasguns are a mangtidue more powerful then modern day weaponary at the very least. Imperial Guard issue helmets can resist a bolt pistol shot, exploding dead on with mininal injury to wearer(For the Emperor.)OK, you have a point. I was taken away by the description (and the description sort of underrates Guard armor). That said, Freeman does have weapons that can take out armored vehicles, stuff that is better armored than an Imperial Guardsman. See other posts for reference.

VanBuren
2008-06-09, 09:33 PM
Well John Stalvern is the demons, so that tilts the side in favor of Doomguy/Freeman.

And as for Gordon himself, this is not some agent provocateur or highly trained assassin we are discussing. Gordon Freeman is a theoretical physicist who had barely earned the distinction of his Ph.D. at the time of the Black Mesa Incident. In the intervening years between HL and HL2, he was in a state that precluded further development of covert skills. The man is by all standards just that--an ordinary man.

Which is why his teams wins.

chiasaur11
2008-06-09, 10:46 PM
Well John Stalvern is the demons, so that tilts the side in favor of Doomguy/Freeman.

And as for Gordon himself, this is not some agent provocateur or highly trained assassin we are discussing. Gordon Freeman is a theoretical physicist who had barely earned the distinction of his Ph.D. at the time of the Black Mesa Incident. In the intervening years between HL and HL2, he was in a state that precluded further development of covert skills. The man is by all standards just that--an ordinary man.

Which is why his teams wins.

Still, that team would win more if it had Barney.

That dude is hard core.

Talkkno
2008-06-09, 11:36 PM
The bolded part just doesn't make sense!:smalleek: It says nothing about power.:smallconfused:
Stopping time in a local area is roughly what D&D wizards do every day. I meant to say Supernova.

What do you mean by "gigaton weaponry"? They unleash energy equivalent to gigatons of TNT on each shot?
If so I've got a spoilered rant for you:
You do realize that means that every time they fire the city or army they are facing disintegrates? And tyranids are suddenly no longer a credible threat? And after a couple of shots the planet they are fighting on experiences a nuclear winter? And armor is suddenly as effective as paper?
Which kind of Titan are we talking about?
Well in the Caves of ice book It takes a denotation of fuel production facility to destroy a Gargant(Ork Titan),and the tech preist holding the button notes that the resulting explosion will be in the gigaton range.

Do primarches take down the Greater Deamons physically or using telepathy/whatever?
Do most of them commonly fight the Avatar of Khaine?

Considering that a grandmaster of the Grey Knights managed to take down one on one, abliet at the cost of his own life, and Primarch's are a magnitude more powerful at the very least, it shouldn't prove too much trouble.

LBO
2008-06-10, 06:16 AM
I prefer this description of the Endgame.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u320/LBO_photos/picture086.png

Verruckt
2008-06-10, 06:27 AM
aha, a fellow fa/tg/uy, is there anything that that board has not done for 40k? Incidentally, ****blammo! is the best compound in the English language, or any language for the matter. It's become somewhat of a catchphrase for "you dead" with my brother and I, specifically when his face intercepts a well placed SPNKR round :smallamused:.

edit:

I meant to say Supernova.

Well in the Caves of ice book It takes a denotation of fuel production facility to destroy a Gargant(Ork Titan),and the tech preist holding the button notes that the resulting explosion will be in the gigaton range.

Considering that a grandmaster of the Grey Knights managed to take down one on one, abliet at the cost of his own life, and Primarch's are a magnitude more powerful at the very least, it shouldn't prove too much trouble.

What are you talking about, have you even read Grey Knights? The main character of that book was a mere Justicar, and the "Greater Daemon" in that book was the ****ing right hand of Tzeenntch. Of course it took the combined military forces of a few planets to hack apart it's corpse, it was HUGE. They didn't kill it with conventional weaponry either, the conventional weaponry is what let it out in the first place. No, Alaric had to use its hundreds of syllable long True Name to make it fall over and hold still while 3 guard regiments, a bunch of Sororitas, the PDF and the remaining Knights hacked it up.

The Avatar can barely handle a lesser blood thirster, let alone a warhound titan. Even a primarch is a little worried if he's staring down the barrel of a plasma blastgun. Please don't just sling words, it weakens the basis of every argument that any other 40k fan makes and most of all:

Please don't just say "Hur hur gigatons hurhurhur" because it makes you sound like a starwars EU fan trying to defend stardestroyer.net math, and I hate those people. You may recall that the caves of ice explosion took place in a miles deep refinery station that was literally flooded with promethium, on a continent made of explosive ice. Of course the explosion was big...

Lord of Rapture
2008-06-10, 07:40 AM
I prefer this description of the Endgame.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u320/LBO_photos/picture086.png

:xykon:HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'm wondering, where did, "IMMA CHARGING MY LASER" come from. That quote is awesome.

Anything that can make Tzeentch go

Seriously not as planned

must be awesomeness incarnate.

LBO
2008-06-10, 08:14 AM
The Avatar can barely handle a lesser blood thirster, let alone a warhound titan.
Oi. Don't you be dissing the fragments of the Bloody-Handed God. :smallannoyed:

Verruckt
2008-06-10, 02:41 PM
Oi. Don't you be dissing the fragments of the Bloody-Handed God. :smallannoyed:

Eh, the Avatar was always awesome, but even in it's second edition incarnation, back when Eldar where cool, It couldn't handle a blood thirster. Just a sad fact of GW being GW (don't get me started on what they did to my beautiful Warp Spiders)

LBO
2008-06-10, 04:07 PM
"Back when they were cool?" :<

GrassyGnoll
2008-06-10, 04:34 PM
This fight is clearly stacked. Not only does our SPESS MEHREEN have to contend with Gordon Freeman, but a beserker packin' man and a half as well? Interestingly enough there is nothing doom guy can't fix with his hands. Does that include the Immortal God-Emperor of Mankind?

Talkkno
2008-06-10, 08:50 PM
edit:

What are you talking about, have you even read Grey Knights? The main character of that book was a mere Justicar, and the "Greater Daemon" in that book was the ****ing right hand of Tzeenntch. Of course it took the combined military forces of a few planets to hack apart it's corpse, it was HUGE. They didn't kill it with conventional weaponry either, the conventional weaponry is what let it out in the first place. No, Alaric had to use its hundreds of syllable long True Name to make it fall over and hold still while 3 guard regiments, a bunch of Sororitas, the PDF and the remaining Knights hacked it up.

I was talking about the first chapter, where they banished the deamon in the first place.

Talkkno
2008-06-10, 09:04 PM
The Avatar can barely handle a lesser blood thirster, let alone a warhound titan. Even a primarch is a little worried if he's staring down the barrel of a plasma blastgun. Please don't just sling words, it weakens the basis of every argument that any other 40k fan makes and most of all:

Source? It is implied here, that a single avatar was a large contribution to defense of Iyanden, being a major craftworld, it surely has Eldar titans available.
http://uk.games-workshop.com/tyranids/defence-of-iyanden/1/

Talkkno
2008-06-10, 09:12 PM
Please don't just say "Hur hur gigatons hurhurhur" because it makes you sound like a starwars EU fan trying to defend stardestroyer.net math, and I hate those people. You may recall that the caves of ice explosion took place in a miles deep refinery station that was literally flooded with promethium, on a continent made of explosive ice. Of course the explosion was big...
Bringing stardestroyer.net does nothing, it only opens you for attack.

And 8 million liters of promethium, and it noted in the article in the same book that it seems to type of fossil fuel referecning that it says that it can obtained from "subterranean deposits of ancient organic materials" and it didn't blow the continent or anything, it severally messed up an area several kilometers wide around the valley(pg 249)

GoC
2008-06-10, 10:11 PM
I meant to say Supernova.
Ah, that makes more sense. Who is it who says it's the energy output of a supernova? Because "the energy of a supernova" sounds a bit too artsy to be a precise measure.

So the makers of Warhammer 40K, while normally quite good with matters of scale (excluding the ecumenopolises), went for something cool sounding instead of seeing how much energy an explosion of that range would release? Fortunately it doesn't say what the gigatons are of so without knowing the unit being used nothing can be determined.

So... a mental battle then?

Talkkno
2008-06-10, 10:16 PM
Ah, that makes more sense. Who is it who says it's the energy output of a supernova? Because "the energy of a supernova" sounds a bit too artsy to be a precise measure.

The narrator, well i'm done with this topic, the topic has widely diverged from the O.P, so i not going to argue this anymore.

GoC
2008-06-10, 10:22 PM
The narrator, well i'm done with this topic, the topic has widely diverged from the O.P, so i not going to argue this anymore.

Shall we continue in PMs?

Deadmeat.GW
2008-06-11, 12:32 AM
Eh, the Avatar was always awesome, but even in it's second edition incarnation, back when Eldar where cool, It couldn't handle a blood thirster. Just a sad fact of GW being GW (don't get me started on what they did to my beautiful Warp Spiders)

Actually the Avatar was always a bit random but could destroy a titan.

It was just unlikely since originally the Avatar was a slightly bigger then Eldar sized creature, not a enormous demon-like being.

Also, due to the old system where weaponskill determined who would be able to hit the Avatar mostly won fights against the Blood Thirster, better weaponskill and marginally lower attacks with better initiative meant he would most of the time be the only hitting and then all those extra strength and special weapon abilities of the Blood Thirster would mean nothing.

Sadly enough now we kinda lost that.

LBO
2008-06-11, 02:43 AM
You're really lamenting 2ed rules? Dammit, what's the "to hit" modifier on the second scout along... where's my slide rule...