PDA

View Full Version : Girralon's Blessing is Underappreciated?

jcsw
2008-06-05, 10:20 PM
It seems Girralon's blessing never gets mentioned in the list of useful buffs, for those of you who don't know it gives the target extra pairs of arms for every 4 caster levels, capping out at three extra pairs at level 12. It's a level three sor/wiz spell from Savage Species.

What I don't get is why no one seems to use it, Savage Species says that for every extra hand used to wield a weapon, it gets a additional half strength mod to damage. At level 12, say your melee-er has achieved a pretty conservative 22 strength, the buff alone would add 18 damage to his attacks.

So what I'm saying is Am I missing some drawback here?

The Necroswanso
2008-06-05, 10:42 PM
*clears throat.*
And for my next piece, this is called, "Something to think about."

HUGE ATTACK PENALTIES

However, you ARE actually allowed to wield a weapon multihanded. So as to get STR and 1/2, and 1/2, and 1/2 etc.
It's just that usually by the time a benefit can be seen from the spell, the wizard/sorcerer has passed it up a long time ago.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-06-05, 10:42 PM
Well for starters, it's in Savage Species, the Tome of Broken abilities and templates.

Secondly, it's updated in the Spell Compendium, and it's a good spell, used occasionally, but:

1) It probably has a touch range.

2) It lost that part about how extra hands add Str damage.

3) It only gives one extra pair of arms no matter what you CL is.

jcsw
2008-06-05, 10:55 PM
oO I didn't notice it in spell compendium. The one in Savage Species was much more appealing. Especially since it mentioned in an earlier section how creatures wielding with extra hands get extra damage (The one in savage species says you can't wield individual weapons with them, but you can use the hands as additional hands holding the weapon), I even used a combo where I polymorphed into a girralon and then added two more arms at level 8.