PDA

View Full Version : Reepicheep vs. Puss in Boots

Swordguy
2008-06-08, 12:53 AM
A showdown for the ages! Swordsman vs swordsman! Gallant vs swashbuckler! Cat vs Mouse!

Taking only their movie versions into account, who will win?

The Indefatigable Reepicheep?
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n294/wolffe42/narnia-guide-Reepicheep.jpg

Or the Indomitable Puss in Boots?
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n294/wolffe42/Shrek_2pussinboots_L_poster.jpg

(Just got back from seeing Prince Caspian again, and my wife thought up this match. Wondered what ya'll thought about it.)

Mirrinus
2008-06-08, 01:15 AM
My vote's for Reepicheep. The things he does with that tail of his...

Revlid
2008-06-08, 05:26 AM
Puss has this in the bag. They're both swashbuckling animals, but Puss is
a) Adored by women, while Reepicheep induces squeals of terror.
b) A cat. Against a mouse. Yeah.
c) Voiced by Antonio Banderas.

So, Puss in Boots wins.

Verruckt
2008-06-08, 06:19 AM
Puss has this in the bag. They're both swashbuckling animals, but Puss is
a) Adored by women, while Reepicheep induces squeals of terror.
b) A cat. Against a mouse. Yeah.
c) Voiced by Antonio Banderas.

So, Puss in Boots wins.

but Reepicheep has
a) Stared down a dragon who had a rather personal distate for him.
b) Hogtied and trussed up a cat
c) Voiced By Eddie ****ing Izzard

So, Reepicheep wins :smalltongue:

Also, He's got... Great, er, fangs and, well... Look At All The Bones!

(having known who voiced him before i saw the movie, my first thought when he appeared, running about and hamstringing people was "And what could be more surprising, then the 1st Battalion Transvestite Brigade, airborne wing?" thus making it impossible to not sputter and giggle whenever he appeared on screen thereafter.)

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-08, 11:28 AM
What Verrukt said.

Chronos
2008-06-08, 12:46 PM
I've got to go with Reepicheep, here, too. We've seen how he handles cats (which admittedly wasn't in the books, but it's perfectly in-character, and the OP said movies only). We have not, however, seen Puss in Boots defeat any sort of mouse, swashbuckling or otherwise.

GoC
2008-06-08, 01:02 PM
I've got to go with Reepicheep, here, too. We've seen how he handles cats (which admittedly wasn't in the books, but it's perfectly in-character, and the OP said movies only). We have not, however, seen Puss in Boots defeat any sort of mouse, swashbuckling or otherwise.

I think he defeated one of the three blind mice...

Tirian
2008-06-08, 01:56 PM
I've got to go with Reepicheep, here, too. We've seen how he handles cats (which admittedly wasn't in the books, but it's perfectly in-character, and the OP said movies only).

You want to know how Reep handles cats? He's the only being in the history of Narnia to defeat Aslan. PiB isn't a slouch, but he's way out of his league here.

puppyavenger
2008-06-08, 03:29 PM
You want to know how Reep handles cats? He's the only being in the history of Narnia to defeat Aslan. PiB isn't a slouch, but he's way out of his league here.

but isn't Aslan basicly a metaphor for Jesus?

Tirian
2008-06-08, 05:09 PM
but isn't Aslan basicly a metaphor for Jesus?

Take your pick. He's clearly a Messianic figure in LWW, but it's a flawed metaphor at best; he created the world, oversaw its destruction and the judgment of its people, and never taught people to come to know the Emperor-Over-the-Sea. Whether you think that he's Jesus or God or merely Arthur, he's far more than anything that Puss in Boots ever stood before, much less faced down. I don't know what PiB has defeated, but I know that he was outmatched by a "mere" ogre.

This is pretty much a carbon copy of the matchup a few months back between Zorro and Aragorn. And you hate to come down against Zorro, who is a cool fellow who was the hero of Spanish colonial California and the inspiration for a dozen pulp heroes. But he still can't credibly stack up to the most renowned knight of a fantasy era lasting thousands of years, because all he has ever been known to face are immoral politicians and soldiers who are nearly as good as he at swordfighting.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-08, 05:29 PM
It might be more correct to say that Aslan is representative of the whole Trinity at different points in time, despite the presence of an All-Father figure in the Emperor-over-the-Sea. Regardless, the original point still stands, in that Reepicheep faces down an enormous lion and supernatural figure with no fear, only proper humility, and manages to guilt him into a favor.

GoC
2008-06-08, 06:14 PM
But he still can't credibly stack up to the most renowned knight of a fantasy era lasting thousands of years, because all he has ever been known to face are immoral politicians and soldiers who are nearly as good as he at swordfighting.

Nitpick: Aragorn isn't the best warrior, numerous others are better such as Turin, Beren, Isuldur and many many elves.
Boromir also appears close to Aragorn's level.

NinjaHippy
2008-06-08, 07:43 PM
(having known who voiced him before i saw the movie, my first thought when he appeared, running about and hamstringing people was "And what could be more surprising, then the 1st Battalion Transvestite Brigade, airborne wing?" thus making it impossible to not sputter and giggle whenever he appeared on screen thereafter.)

Me and my friends saw it together and we're all huge Eddie Izzard fans, so it was all we could do not to yell "Cake or death!" every time he stabbed somebody.

Obrysii
2008-06-09, 05:51 AM
Nitpick: Aragorn isn't the best warrior, numerous others are better such as Turin, Beren, Isuldur and many many elves.
Boromir also appears close to Aragorn's level.

"Most renowned" does not mean "best" ... it means the most famous, the most looked-up-to.

puppyavenger
2008-06-09, 06:18 AM
"Most renowned" does not mean "best" ... it means the most famous, the most looked-up-to.

but Zorro can just shoot him.

GoC
2008-06-09, 09:20 AM

So he's more famous than Fingolfin or Thingol?:smallconfused:

puppyavenger: Pistols in that time were very inaccurate and not that powerful (arrows would generally be much better at long ranges).
Anyone on the playgound with decent aim and a pistol could kill Aragorn (assuming they can find him). And anyone with military training/infra-red goggles and an AK 47 wouldn't even have to sweat.
That said the thread was concluded as a win for Aragorn.

Verruckt
2008-06-09, 11:08 AM
So what your saying is, so long as the playgrounder were dropped in with FANTASTIC Make-up, with a Fantastic Gun... they'd be fine?

(So help me God if you respond to that seriously I'll strike you dead with a wet fish where you stand.)

ElfLad
2008-06-09, 09:44 PM
Reepicheep, no contest.

Puss in Boots always starts out with the googly eyes, which will have no effect on Reepicheep, who hates cats and hates cute.

So it will be down to skill vs. skill alone. In which case Reepicheep wins.

VanBuren
2008-06-09, 09:53 PM
Reepicheep, no contest.

Puss in Boots always starts out with the googly eyes, which will have no effect on Reepicheep, who hates cats and hates cute.

So it will be down to skill vs. skill alone. In which case Reepicheep wins.

Plus the failed eyes may provoke an AoO.

Baerdog7
2008-06-10, 12:42 AM
But only if Puss in Boots is in a threatened square at the time. :smalltongue:

ElfLad
2008-06-10, 11:56 PM
But only if Puss in Boots is in a threatened square at the time. :smalltongue:

He's in the same room as Reepicheep and you think there's a possibility Puss isn't threatened?

Baerdog7
2008-06-11, 12:24 AM
He's in the same room as Reepicheep and you think there's a possibility Puss isn't threatened?

Touche good sir. Touche.

horngeek
2008-06-13, 07:35 AM
Reepicheep. Definitely.

1. He's definitely not scared of cats

2. He is a better swordsman

3. He's just so AWESOME:smallbiggrin:

SilentNight
2008-06-13, 10:00 PM
I'm going to vote for Reepicheep as well because, as Verruhkt so eloquently put, "He's voiced by Eddie ****ing Izzard.":smallcool: