PDA

View Full Version : Fleche [fencing] mechanics.

unosarta
2008-06-08, 01:10 AM
for any one who might know what would the mechanics for a fleche [fencing] would be? im a newbie but it would make sense for it to have to do with a charge or something.

thanks in advance!:smallsmile:

[no sabreists!:smallbiggrin:]

Icewalker
2008-06-08, 01:43 AM
Oooh, a fleche...hmm...

Isn't there a feat for a run-by attack? I know there is a mounted ride-by attack, if there isn't an unmounted version I guess it'd be simple enough to replicate. Probably just a run-by attack with a rapier.

I've got a character in my campaign world who is a fencer and champion of one of the countries, with a lightning fleche ability where he bolts past someone with a flash of lightning.

unosarta
2008-06-08, 10:39 AM
probably is i dont know. but if there was, what book would it be in?

unosarta
2008-06-08, 10:42 AM
that lightning fleche sounds pretty sweet.

SilentNight
2008-06-08, 10:55 AM
Yeah, definitely a run-by-attack. However, you should get the benefits of charging. I'd actually consider a -4 AC given how easy it is to riposte once you've got the parry.

unosarta
2008-06-08, 11:19 AM
i kinda still dont get the mechanics. so you make a charge attack trying to hit the target, in which case you get a -4 penalty to ac, and when you charge in to hit them, instead of stopping you run past? what about a counter attack on the hand/arm? could you remise?

i think this would be really fun for a gladiatorial campaign that had a duelist as one of the PCs.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-06-08, 02:48 PM
A fleche? I'd say it's just a basic spring attack, honestly. Provokes attacks (Attacks of Opportunity or a parry riposte) if performed, as it would in an actual bout. Seems about right to me.

ImpFireball
2008-06-09, 12:45 PM
How about a feat that allows you to charge and move away all in the same round? Could relate to a gladiator class or fighter with prereqs, perhaps.

Call it: Agressive Mobility; prereqs: mobility

You may use special attacks as many times as you want whilst applying any other movement based feats during a round (as long as the character isn't restricted). You may charge only once per round, however a charge won't limit your movement (charge crunch will be applied however it counts as a move action rather than a full action).

unosarta
2008-06-14, 11:15 PM
you do know that when you fleche you dont move away after you make the fleche, right?

BardicDuelist
2008-06-15, 12:46 AM
If you can charge and make a spring attack, that seems to model it perfectly. Allow the AoOs and you have the counter-attack or riposte as well. Anything else would be needlessly complicated, especially if it's somthing that will be used often (although a good fleche should be a surprise).

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-06-15, 11:08 PM
you do know that when you fleche you dont move away after you make the fleche, right?

Actually, this is rather untrue. A fleche usually involves moving PAST your opponent, striking as you go. I know Wikipedia isn't always reliable, but here's what it has to say on the matter.

After attempting the hit, the fencer continues to move forward, running past his opponent, to avoid the riposte if he was parried, or a counter attack. If the fencer moves past as quickly as possible the opponent generally only has one chance to hit the fleching fencer as he/she passes.

Emphasis mine.

Your momentum will carry you either past them or into them, hence why the fleche is one of the leading causes of corps-a-corps (Body-to-body contact). So maybe you only take a 5ft step past your opponent. So it's a charging Spring Attack, or, if you don't step past them and crash into them instead, a charging Bull Rush (Which gets you a yellow card :smallbiggrin:).

-The Djinn

unosarta
2008-06-18, 06:48 PM
essentially, thats what i meant djinn [sorry for not wording it better]. one of the other posts had said that you moved away, and i thought he meant that the flecher[sp?] moved back from the target. sorry if it sounded different than the way i meant it.