PDA

View Full Version : Great movie idea: "Metal Gear: Solid"

Heresy488
2008-06-08, 01:14 PM
Metal Gear: Solid

Snake is dropped onto Shadow Moses Isle in the Alaskan Fox Archipelago. His mission is to rescue two hostages taken by the traitor Next Gen Special Forces, led by FOXHOUND, and determine the terrorists ability to launch a nuclear weapon. THIS GAME IS FREAKIN AWESOME!

And PS1 tech too, I mean geez, there are Xbox 360 and PS3 games that don't look as good, or have half the imagination of this title. I'm disappointed that MGS2 and MGS3 weren't as good.

Cybren
2008-06-08, 01:15 PM
i'd say that all three are equally good for different reasons (MGS2 and 3 introduced newer mechanics and had story elements that are rather specific to themselves)
(also http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808372/)

Heresy488
2008-06-08, 01:22 PM
i'd say that all three are equally good for different reasons (MGS2 and 3 introduced newer mechanics and had story elements that are rather specific to themselves)
(also http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808372/)

OMFG

wowowowowowowowowow

SurlySeraph
2008-06-08, 01:57 PM
Metal Gear Solid is practically a movie with brief interactive sequences already. In any case, I think the game's too long to make a good movie; they'd have to cut some stuff to keep it under 3 hours, and the insane complexity of the plot is the main point of the game.

hamishspence
2008-06-09, 06:12 AM
Release it as the Metal Gear trilogy? For two movies to come out first would partially ensure minimum of plot recap. The plotlines of Metal Gear and Solid Snake are pretty good too. So it would ensure that the 3rd movie would be anticipated well.

Ziren
2008-06-09, 06:48 AM
MGS 2 was rather weak because it mostly copied the first part without having the same amount of style. MGS 3 did it better and was the best in gameplay terms but most of the bosses lacked personality (exceptions are The Boss and The End. The Sorrow was cool as well).

My personal favourite is Twin Snakes (the remake for the GC), because it features the style of MGS1 and the better game machanics from MGS2. Also, it has by far the best cutscenes.

But a movie based on Metal Gear? I think I'll pass, it would probably some Steven Segal thing.

ZeroNumerous
2008-06-09, 07:22 AM
MGS 2 was rather weak because it mostly copied the first part without having the same amount of style.

That was sort of the point, you know. MGS2's story basis is that it's a training simulator to create a second "Solid Snake" under the control of the Patriots.

Metal Gear Solid is practically a movie with brief interactive sequences already. In any case, I think the game's too long to make a good movie; they'd have to cut some stuff to keep it under 3 hours, and the insane complexity of the plot is the main point of the game.

... Wait, what? Complexity?

MGS Spoilers:
Snake is an super secret agent. He is sent to Shadow Moses because FOXHOUND has betrayed the country and stolen their nuclear-armed walking battle-tanked dubbed "Metal Gear". His mission is simple: Kill FOXHOUND and save two hostages. Snake proceeds to kill his way through the base and discovers that the DHARPA Chief and ArmsTech President Baker mysteriously die. He proceeds to continue killing his way through the base and eventually discovers that his old friend Gray Fox was reanimated as a cyborg ninja. Then he starts killing his way through the base again to discover that Liquid Snake, the leader of FOXHOUND, is really his clone-brother and that he is a clone of Big Boss rather than his son. He then kills Liquid and discovers that he's infected with a genetic nano-machine pseudo-virus intended to kill off everyone involved.

Now where does complexity enter into this?

Tengu
2008-06-09, 07:52 AM
I think that MGS would work best as a mini-series, six episodes long or so. Maybe an anime mini-series.

You have to admit though, Snake wouldn't be Snake if he didn't speak David Hayter's voice.

SurlySeraph
2008-06-09, 05:06 PM
... Wait, what? Complexity?

MGS Spoilers:
Snake is an super secret agent. He is sent to Shadow Moses because FOXHOUND has betrayed the country and stolen their nuclear-armed walking battle-tanked dubbed "Metal Gear". His mission is simple: Kill FOXHOUND and save two hostages. Snake proceeds to kill his way through the base and discovers that the DHARPA Chief and ArmsTech President Baker mysteriously die. He proceeds to continue killing his way through the base and eventually discovers that his old friend Gray Fox was reanimated as a cyborg ninja. Then he starts killing his way through the base again to discover that Liquid Snake, the leader of FOXHOUND, is really his clone-brother and that he is a clone of Big Boss rather than his son. He then kills Liquid and discovers that he's infected with a genetic nano-machine pseudo-virus intended to kill off everyone involved.

Now where does complexity enter into this?

That's the basic plot, but you skipped a lot of fairly important stuff. The semi-tragic pasts of every single damn character that are revealed, the hallucinations Mantis sends, Snake's initial meeting with Meryl, his later meetings with Meryl, teaming up with Meryl, learning that Meryl is Colonel Campbell's niece, when Mantis mind-controls Meryl, Snake's blossoming romance with Meryl, Snake's capture and torture under which he may or may not let Ocelot know about Meryl, Johnny Sasaki, meeting Otacon, learning that Otacon was programming Metal Gear Rex and had been tricked into it and didn't realize that it was designed to fire nuclear warheads, Otacon's unfulfilled love of Sniper Wolf, Sniper Wolf's unfulfilled love of Snake, Sniper Wolf's shooting of Meryl and the effects this has on Snake, how Master Miller was actually Liquid Snake in disguise, Liquid's burning desire to fight Solid to prove his superiority, how Liquid supposedly got genes inferior to those Solid got even though he's a clone, Liquid's lifelong grudge caused by this, how the DARPA chief was actually Decoy Octopus in disguise, the fact that Naomi Hunter programmed Foxdie to kill Solid Snake due to a decade-old grudge against him for killing her adoptive brother, Gray Fox, the one who turns out not to be dead, Gray Fox's childhood and origin, Gray Fox's heroic sacrifice to save Snake in his climactic fight against Liquid, Naomi's forgiveness of Snake at the very end of the game, Colonel Campbell admitting that he lied to Snake about the entire operation (since Snake was actually sent in just to infect everyone there with Foxdie), Snake's reconciliation with Campbell, Campbell's position in charge of the operation being suddenly taken over by the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of Defense's decision to nuke Shadow Moses Island to destroy all traces of the incident, Otacon's heroic decision to stay behind in the base during the bombing to keep the doors open so that Snake would have a chance at escape, the Secretary of Defence being stopped and Campbell reinstated, various other revelations that people were manipulating each other, and finally the revelation that Ocelot was secretly working for a shadow organization the entire time , the entire incident was set up to test whether Liquid or Solid was a better fighter, and that the president of the United States was a third clone of Big Boss. Oh, and the anti-war and anti-nuclear moral of the story. And probably a lot of other stuff I forgot about.

Tom_Violence
2008-06-09, 05:48 PM
Dull game becomes equally dull movie? Ooo, sign me up! :smalltongue:

Tengu
2008-06-09, 05:50 PM
Obvious troll is obvious.

Tom_Violence
2008-06-09, 06:02 PM
Obvious troll is obvious.

Not at all. I find the games to be excruciatingly dull, and a film based on them would doubtless do no better. As Ziren said, it would probably have to star Steven Segal. Hell, when I read the first post I thought the guy was joking. The game's plot reads like it could actually be a parody, and the only saving grace of the series seems to be its gameplay, which fairly obviously doesn't necessarily make for a good film.

That, and I'm sick to death of the complete lack of originality in Hollywood these days and would give anything to prevent funding getting constantly awarded to these half-arsed cash cows, rather than to anyone trying to actually do something new.

Verruckt
2008-06-09, 06:11 PM
Not at all. I find the games to be excruciatingly dull, and a film based on them would doubtless do no better. As Ziren said, it would probably have to star Steven Segal. Hell, when I read the first post I thought the guy was joking. The game's plot reads like it could actually be a parody, and the only saving grace of the series seems to be its gameplay, which fairly obviously doesn't necessarily make for a good film.

That, and I'm sick to death of the complete lack of originality in Hollywood these days and would give anything to prevent funding getting constantly awarded to these half-arsed cash cows, rather than to anyone trying to actually do something new.

"You like trolling boards, dooOOOon't yoou?" stab, stab stab, stabitty, stab.

usually I confront unreasoned bile with thought out fact, but when people rag on MG:S I lose my temper.

Tengu
2008-06-09, 06:15 PM
Remember that:
1. Each MGS game is a deconstruction (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Deconstruction) of different action movie tropes and archetypes.
2. MGS doesn't claim to be realistic.
3. The plot is deeper than meets the eye.

Not that I'm going to convince anyone, but really - I cannot understand why anyone wouldn't like Metal Gear Solid. It's one of the few action game series that don't insult your intelligence.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-09, 06:21 PM
Yeah, Metal Gear Solid's great and everything, but you know how a movie would go. First, no one goes to see it because it's based on a video game (even though Uwe Boll WILL NOT be involved, at risk of eye lasers of death from Hideo Kojima), then the people who do go see it will either complain because they changed too much or rag on it for being an Escape from New York ripoff.

Okay, actually, it's the second one that has most of the Escape homages, but you know what I mean.

Also, I really hate it when people come into a topic just to flame the subject in a strictly non-constructive and pithy manner. It just seems like a waste of perfectly good database space. And no, Tom_Violence, I am not trying to avoid accusing you of this. I was merely speaking in a non-specific manner because it sounded better in my head, so don't think I'm looking for a rules loophole here.

Tom_Violence
2008-06-09, 06:43 PM
Remember that:
1. Each MGS game is a deconstruction (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Deconstruction) of different action movie tropes and archetypes.
2. MGS doesn't claim to be realistic.
3. The plot is deeper than meets the eye.

Not that I'm going to convince anyone, but really - I cannot understand why anyone wouldn't like Metal Gear Solid. It's one of the few action game series that don't insult your intelligence.

I guess so, but as a deconstruction there are people that it won't really work on, me being one of them. It wasn't the lack of realism that jarred me so much, but rather what appeared to be a complete and utter disregard for any suspension of disbelief that I might have once possessed that more strongly put me off. My intelligence was checked at the door, and as for the plot, well I'm probably not too qualified to comment since it seemed so throwaway that I had a seriously hard time attending to it.

I must admit when I played it I really didn't get the deconstruction thing at all. Mayhaps that was me being overly cynical but it struck me more as just a schizophrenic game than one that was actively subverting anything. Oh well.

All those things aside I still maintain that the gameplay made me lapse into a coma and that the good hard-working movie-going public deserve some originality in their diet.

Oh, and Nerd-o-rama, don't worry, I don't have to be strictly non-constructive and pithy. Sometimes it just sounds better in my head that way too.

nothingclever
2008-06-09, 07:08 PM
That's the basic plot, but you skipped a lot of fairly important stuff. The semi-tragic pasts of every single damn character that are revealed, the hallucinations Mantis sends, Snake's initial meeting with Meryl, his later meetings with Meryl, teaming up with Meryl, learning that Meryl is Colonel Campbell's niece, when Mantis mind-controls Meryl, Snake's blossoming romance with Meryl, Snake's capture and torture under which he may or may not let Ocelot know about Meryl, Johnny Sasaki, meeting Otacon, learning that Otacon was programming Metal Gear Rex and had been tricked into it and didn't realize that it was designed to fire nuclear warheads, Otacon's unfulfilled love of Sniper Wolf, Sniper Wolf's unfulfilled love of Snake, Sniper Wolf's shooting of Meryl and the effects this has on Snake, how Master Miller was actually Liquid Snake in disguise, Liquid's burning desire to fight Solid to prove his superiority, how Liquid supposedly got genes inferior to those Solid got even though he's a clone, Liquid's lifelong grudge caused by this, how the DARPA chief was actually Decoy Octopus in disguise, the fact that Naomi Hunter programmed Foxdie to kill Solid Snake due to a decade-old grudge against him for killing her adoptive brother, Gray Fox, the one who turns out not to be dead, Gray Fox's childhood and origin, Gray Fox's heroic sacrifice to save Snake in his climactic fight against Liquid, Naomi's forgiveness of Snake at the very end of the game, Colonel Campbell admitting that he lied to Snake about the entire operation (since Snake was actually sent in just to infect everyone there with Foxdie), Snake's reconciliation with Campbell, Campbell's position in charge of the operation being suddenly taken over by the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of Defense's decision to nuke Shadow Moses Island to destroy all traces of the incident, Otacon's heroic decision to stay behind in the base during the bombing to keep the doors open so that Snake would have a chance at escape, the Secretary of Defence being stopped and Campbell reinstated, various other revelations that people were manipulating each other, and finally the revelation that Ocelot was secretly working for a shadow organization the entire time , the entire incident was set up to test whether Liquid or Solid was a better fighter, and that the president of the United States was a third clone of Big Boss. Oh, and the anti-war and anti-nuclear moral of the story. And probably a lot of other stuff I forgot about.

That pretty much sums up why I don't think it'd be a good movie. I don't want a million twists. I'm happy being able to count the amount on one hand or at most two.

Jack Squat
2008-06-09, 09:39 PM
Wasn't Metal Gear based off of the Escape series?

They're making a movie based off of a movie based off of a movie...why?

Besides, Kurt Russel will be the only true Snake

http://www.ghostofaflea.com/archives/Russell.jpg

Dryken
2008-06-09, 09:44 PM
I cast my vote for a Metal Gear Solid musical!

Anyone else with me on this? Anyone?

Cybren
2008-06-09, 09:51 PM
Wasn't Metal Gear based off of the Escape series?

They're making a movie based off of a movie based off of a movie...why?

Besides, Kurt Russel will be the only true Snake

http://www.ghostofaflea.com/archives/Russell.jpg

You mean Michael Beihn?
http://www.sconnorchronicles.com.ar/forostuff/imagenes/133374501_9f2e9ee958.jpg

Callos_DeTerran
2008-06-09, 10:18 PM
Eh...I think Metal Gear: Snake Eater would make for a better movie...and I agree with Tengu that a mini-series would be better then a movie since it would allow for more things to actually get INTO the movie instead of having things cut out. More importantly...Snake Eater is relatively self-contained (In that it can be seen by itself and not leave TOO many questions left behind) so if it tanks nobody feels obligated to make a sequel to it.

Ozymandias
2008-06-10, 12:34 AM
I guess so, but as a deconstruction there are people that it won't really work on, me being one of them. It wasn't the lack of realism that jarred me so much, but rather what appeared to be a complete and utter disregard for any suspension of disbelief that I might have once possessed that more strongly put me off. My intelligence was checked at the door, and as for the plot, well I'm probably not too qualified to comment since it seemed so throwaway that I had a seriously hard time attending to it.

I must admit when I played it I really didn't get the deconstruction thing at all. Mayhaps that was me being overly cynical but it struck me more as just a schizophrenic game than one that was actively subverting anything. Oh well.

All those things aside I still maintain that the gameplay made me lapse into a coma and that the good hard-working movie-going public deserve some originality in their diet.

Oh, and Nerd-o-rama, don't worry, I don't have to be strictly non-constructive and pithy. Sometimes it just sounds better in my head that way too.

I don't get it. Why are you trying to justify your dislike? Should you have to? It's clearly a subjective deal, and against the grain, too, so what's the point? I'm not being facetious - a lot of people do that, and I genuinely want to know why.

Plus: Kurt Russel looks a lot like Snake, and the voices are sort of similar, but he's old. I think an animated, maybe a grittier DCAU style would work well.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-10, 12:46 AM
David Hayter could seriously play Snake live action. Failing that, Hugh Jackman.

Kurt Russel deserves a cameo, though, considering 3D Snake (as opposed to MSX Snake) was originally based on how he looks in older movies like Escape from. Probably as the Colonel.

Cybren
2008-06-10, 02:02 AM
David Hayter could seriously play Snake live action. Failing that, Hugh Jackman.

Kurt Russel deserves a cameo, though, considering 3D Snake (as opposed to MSX Snake) was originally based on how he looks in older movies like Escape from. Probably as the Colonel.

Or Big Boss, Solidus, or Old Snake

Cyclone231
2008-06-10, 02:12 AM
Man, when I read the thread title on the little summary, I guessed it was this, but I hoped so hard it was this:

Great movie idea: "Metal Slug"

C'mon man, THAT is an action movie. Aliens, war, tanks, aliens with laser guns, helicopters that the hero explodes single-handedly, zombies (that puke their own guts up!), mutant giant crabs and giant bugs, mutant giant crabs with mortar launchers, tanks that drive backwards, magic, robots, hoverbikes, flying saucers, and a villain who looks suspiciously like Hitler? As long as it was played for comedy, it would be one of the greatest movies ever made.

Solo
2008-06-10, 02:15 AM
Man, when I read the thread title on the little summary, I guessed it was this, but I hoped so hard it was this:

C'mon man, THAT is an action movie. Aliens, war, zombies, magic, robots, hoverbikes, flying saucers, and a villain who looks suspiciously like Hitler Saddam? As long as it was played for comedy, it would be one of the greatest movies ever made.

Fixed it for you.

Cyclone231
2008-06-10, 02:22 AM
Fixed it for you.

Okay, you're right - but the Rebellion Army's symbol is a black X on a white circle superimposed on a red background.

Also, I forgot that at one point the protagonist rides an elephant with a gun attached to it while fighting yetis, and a giant fish monster attacks him while he's in a submarine.

Turcano
2008-06-10, 02:46 AM
Metal Gear Solid is practically a movie with brief interactive sequences already.

The standard joke goes: "They already made a Metal Gear Solid movie. Do you know what would really be awesome? A Metal Gear Solid video game."

Tengu
2008-06-10, 04:32 AM

One and a half hour of increasingly absurd opponents, vehicles and weapons, and constant shootout with (usually) very slow missiles? Count me in!

Tom_Violence
2008-06-10, 06:52 AM
I don't get it. Why are you trying to justify your dislike? Should you have to? It's clearly a subjective deal, and against the grain, too, so what's the point? I'm not being facetious - a lot of people do that, and I genuinely want to know why.

Because I can't stand PostModernism. :smalltongue:

Anyway, I'll gladly throw my vote in for a Metal Slug movie! Now I gotta go trawl the net to find somewhere to download that gem.