PDA

View Full Version : Help with Inkscape needed: Frames

Xandro
2008-06-09, 05:23 PM
Hello everyone!

Perharps the answer of this question is ridicilously simple but I don't get there by myself. I want to create comics with inkscape and everything works fine. I create the pictures with inkscape. Then I export them as bmp-files and cut them to be exactly of the size of one panel with an image processing program (GIMP in my case). Then I import the panel back into Inkscape. Finally I add the speech bubbles but it would be nicer to add a frame before.

So that's my question: How do I create a frame for my panel. In my situation it doesn't matter if I do it with GIMP or with Inkscape.

The simplest way I can imagine is to put a transparent rectangle over the panel, but I guess there is a better way.

Thanks in advance. :smallsmile:

Greetz
Xandro

Calamity
2008-06-09, 05:53 PM
The simplest way I can imagine is to put a transparent rectangle over the panel, but I guess there is a better way.

You mean you go through doing all that work when you can think of a simpler way? Why?

I use the transparent rectangle method and thanks to Inkscape's functions I can easily adjust the size and postion of the panel. It takes like 10 seconds to make a frame that way.

EDIT:
Umm, yeah, I meant a rectangle with no fill, thanks Lying.

Lyinginbedmon
2008-06-09, 05:54 PM
Not a transparent rectangle, a rectangle with no fill. I also recommend putting the frames on their own layer, below dialogue and above characters (Who as well should be above the background).

For clarity, my works generally go like this for layers:
Dialogue
Frames
Effects (Like lighting, though I rarely use this so it's rarely included)
Action & characters
Background.
This keeps everything separated so I can hide parts to look at others or move them around without disturbing anything above or below.

Also, why bother exporting out the individual pieces? Just put them into the main file. That way you can resize them and move them about without ever leaving the program.

Xandro
2008-06-10, 12:47 PM
Not a transparent rectangle, a rectangle with no fill. I also recommend putting the frames on their own layer, below dialogue and above characters (Who as well should be above the background).

For clarity, my works generally go like this for layers:
Dialogue
Frames
Effects (Like lighting, though I rarely use this so it's rarely included)
Action & characters
Background.
This keeps everything separated so I can hide parts to look at others or move them around without disturbing anything above or below.

Also, why bother exporting out the individual pieces? Just put them into the main file. That way you can resize them and move them about without ever leaving the program.

Hey, thanks a lot Lying! I guess my question is answered! :smallsmile: