PDA

View Full Version : OGL Steampunk

DementedFellow
2008-06-09, 09:17 PM
I recently bought the rulebook for OGL Steampunk and I must say I am impressed. I like how you could be a hybrid (think were-), a ghost, a CoG (Warforged anyone?) or a vampire at level one. I also appreciate that you can choose traits from your vocation or race or take a feat or whatever so long as you meet the requirements for it.

I also like how a large portion of the traits didn't rely on stats, but rather levels. It makes a lot of sense that if you are a diplomat, you should have certain tools of persuasion at your disposal no matter what your Charisma is. Or the fact that a vampire can shape change into a bat so long he is at x level.

I don't have a love for the setting, but I've always been a fan of pulpy worlds, like Eberron. I feel that if you are going for a setting, go for the gusto.

I thought the idea of wealth being an arbitrary number based on vocation and how it can lessened with exorbitant purchases. But more importantly, I like how profession skills actually have a use that isn't just a drop in the bucket when it comes to wealth. Less book-keeping = good in my book.

So as you can see, I'm kinda enamored with not only the game, but the system as well. I do have a few questions. I want to play this but I don't want my friends to get turned off by the whole Steampunk oeuvre, what would be a good way to introduce this to them other than shoving the character sheets in their faces and showing them how different it is from 3.x?

Also, are there any additional books that would supplement OGL Steampunk without much headache?

And finally, I would like to hear people's personal experiences with this game. Was it as fun as I think it is?

Thanks in advance and I anxiously await your responses.

RukiTanuki
2008-06-11, 01:56 AM
I'll have to look into this one. I'm wanting to do a dungeon punk 4e setting.

I just hope it's better than Steamworks (http://midnightcellar.com/product.php?productid=16254). I was very, very disappointed to purchase a product whose content could have been recreated in its entirety with the phrase "reflavor the Wizard and his spells as technological gadgets."