PDA

View Full Version : Just saw the Hulk Movie.

North
2008-06-09, 11:06 PM
HULK SMASH!!!

I liked it a lot. Edward Norton did a great job as Bruce Banner, made it believable. Plot was good, pacing was fast, and there was some really funny lines. It was much more intense then the first one. Lot and lots of great cameos and references to the rest of the Marvel Universe too. They also easily set it up for a Hulk sequel and for the Avengers movie too.

Funny part from beginning of movie.
So it starts off in Brazil, they show Bruce as hes trying to learn Portuguese. Figuring out the language with a Portuguese/English Dictionary and sesame street. A bunch of bullies at the place hes working are harassing a woman there and he steps in. So they start getting in his face. And he says the classic line in Portuguese...
"Don't make me ...hungry."
*Confusion*
"You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry." :smallbiggrin:

turkishproverb
2008-06-10, 12:32 AM
HULK SMASH!!!

I liked it a lot. Edward Norton did a great job as Bruce Banner, made it believable. Plot was good, pacing was fast, and there was some really funny lines. It was much more intense then the first one. Lot and lots of great cameos and references to the rest of the Marvel Universe too. They also easily set it up for a Hulk sequel and for the Avengers movie too.

Funny part from beginning of movie.
So it starts off in Brazil, they show Bruce as hes trying to learn Portuguese. Figuring out the language with a Portuguese/English Dictionary and sesame street. A bunch of bullies at the place hes working are harassing a woman there and he steps in. So they start getting in his face. And he says the classic line in Portuguese...
"Don't make me ...hungry."
*Confusion*
"You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry." :smallbiggrin:

*looks at spoiler*

ok NOW i have to see that movie

and to think, people rag on the Bixby series.

kpenguin
2008-06-10, 12:48 AM
Agreed. That spoiler makes this movie sound awesome.

Also, I saw a Hulk ad with Tony Stark in it. They're definitely trying to push the whole continuity thing.

bladedSmoke
2008-06-10, 02:32 AM
When I read this title, I thought you meant you saw him walking down the street or something.

Put it down to over-tiredness and not having heard that this movie has come out.

But after reading that spoiler, I want to watch it. I like action/superhero movies with a sense of humour.

bosssmiley
2008-06-12, 07:44 AM
*looks at spoiler*

ok NOW i have to see that movie

and to think, people rag on the Bixby series.

Huh? :smallconfused:
The Bixby/Ferrigno series is The Hulk story in it's purest form.

*walks away to sound of slow, sad piano tune*

TheEmerged
2008-06-12, 07:16 PM
Just curious, it's been reported (http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Captain-America-Cut-Out-Of-Hulk-To-Protect-Your-Kids-9131.html) that there was a massive edit to the movie (to the tune of 70 minutes and a Captain America cameo). Did the movie feel like it was missing something?

Tar Palantir
2008-06-12, 08:01 PM
I've seen some of the previews and it looked pretty good. I might see it next week. The first one really didn't fill my need for large, angry, green guys beating the crap out of people.

Anteros
2008-06-12, 11:16 PM
Hmm...I saw the movie tonight as well...but I couldn't have come to a more different conclusion. I felt that he did a very poor job of acting in general. In addition the character's motives were extremely contrived, and the military is depicted as incredibly stupid. Especially during that one scene in the middle.

Hulk certainly did smash though...I'll give him that.

doliest
2008-06-13, 02:26 AM
Hmm...I saw the movie tonight as well...but I couldn't have come to a more different conclusion. I felt that he did a very poor job of acting in general. In addition the character's motives were extremely contrived, and the military is depicted as incredibly stupid. Especially during that one scene in the middle.

Hulk certainly did smash though...I'll give him that.

What are you talking about? I just saw it, the acting was the best I've ever seen, his motives are clear,
He wants to be cured, until at the end where he wants control after seeing the good he can do.

And as for the military-
It's really only 'The general' who does anything stupid, and he's just trying to get a serum that he's been trying to develope for a long time, as for abomination, he's just gone crazy with power

Overall, Hulk was one of the best comic movies ever made.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-13, 08:44 AM
I agree that this movie was fantastic.

When Emil Blonsky was fighting the hulk the second time, after getting the first dose of Super Soldier serum... that made me very excited for the Captain America movie... the way he was jumping around, doing flips, running faster than everyone. Good stuff.

Not as good as Iron Man... but close.

Anteros
2008-06-13, 04:17 PM
What are you talking about? I just saw it, the acting was the best I've ever seen, his motives are clear.
Banner's motives are pretty clear...but everyone elses are stupid. Particularly the military. And the acting is pretty good...as long as he was trying to play Keanu Reeves.

And as for my point with the military-
They purposely don't shoot Banner with tranqs so that he can become the Hulk. They have several opportunities and choose not to. Also, I doubt a college campus is the best place to engage an unstoppable killing machine. Just me.

Lastly, don't even get me started on the fact that he just happened to "not notice" that they were shooting directly at his daughter until it was too late. That's just pure stupid and bad writing.

The movie wasn't absolutely terrible...we all love to watch Hulk smash...but I don't think it was any better than the first Hulk movie.

North
2008-06-13, 09:13 PM
Just curious, it's been reported (http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Captain-America-Cut-Out-Of-Hulk-To-Protect-Your-Kids-9131.html) that there was a massive edit to the movie (to the tune of 70 minutes and a Captain America cameo). Did the movie feel like it was missing something?

I dont think so. Although I would have been happy with more. I like more. Yeah, I kept waiting for a cap cameo. But ...

There were Stark Tech weapons and references to the Weapon Plus program which is where Cap and Wolvie come from.

Mewtarthio
2008-06-13, 11:16 PM

I can't think of any place in the movie that looked like it was missing anything. In fact, I find it difficult to think of any point in the movie in which they could have inserted it.
Throughout the entire film, he's still trying to gather more data for Stern to develop his cure. Thus, he never really loses hope for the cure, except for that one scene in the university lab, and there's no way he could have gone to the North Pole and back between that scene and the next one (when he meets Betty, who takes him home and gives him the missing data).

Gaelbert
2008-06-14, 12:40 AM
During the fight between the two Hulks, specifically the part where they were hanging off the helicopter, I couldn't get "Handlebars" by Flobots out of my head. It seemed like the perfect fit. Power, the corruption it holds, and the way it affects other people's lives. Weird, especially since that song only just recently came to my attention.

Revlid
2008-06-14, 04:32 AM
I thought the movie was great - about the same level as X-2 Spider-Man 2, but not on the same level as Batman Begins or Iron Man.

It had a great mix of humour, action, and emotion, with brilliant acting and scripting. There were points when the CGI could have used some more work, but it was still better than the last effort, and Hulk is never going to look that realistic.

I'm not sure what it was missing. Maybe the deleted scenes mentioned above. I just can't put my finger on what would take this from a 7.5-8/10 to an 8-9/10.

Oh well. It was still awesome, and I'm looking forward to the next one!

Also, don't bother staying after the credits - there's nothing (very disappointing). What feels like the after-credits scene actually takes place just before the credits - it's Robert Downey Jr.'s cameo as Tony Stark.

kamikasei
2008-06-14, 06:57 AM
I was very iffy going in but in the end, very much enjoyed it.

It is not a great movie. It cannot stand on its own as something that people who have no interest in comics could enjoy, unlike the best comic-book movies (e.g. Batman Begins). However, following Iron Man and being chock full of hints of future projects, it works very well and is damn entertaining.

Mewtarthio
2008-06-14, 10:47 AM
Also, don't bother staying after the credits - there's nothing (very disappointing). What feels like the after-credits scene actually takes place just before the credits - it's Robert Downey Jr.'s cameo as Tony Stark.

I also felt that scene would have done best after the credits. As my sister pointed out, it's pretty much meaningless to anyone who's not following the comic book movies as a whole.

Pearl
2008-06-14, 11:18 AM
I also felt that scene would have done best after the credits. As my sister pointed out, it's pretty much meaningless to anyone who's not following the comic book movies as a whole.

It definitely would have fit better after the credits, but a lot of people missed the fury scene, and how do they find out and get excited without hints? I imagine bunches of casual fans who had no idea about the Avengers may have done some googling last night.

Dervag
2008-06-14, 03:02 PM
I can't think of any place in the movie that looked like it was missing anything. In fact, I find it difficult to think of any point in the movie in which they could have inserted it.With 70 minutes of extra stuff stuck in, they could have made such a point easily enough.

Twin2
2008-06-14, 05:17 PM
Just got back from it, and I really enjoyed it. Gave us both sides of banner and the hulk to great effect in my opinion.

Anyone else realize the Leader tie in?

It seems like marvel is doing a great job with foreshadowing in both recent movies.

SAMAS
2008-06-14, 05:18 PM
But that's why we have DVD releases.

I was surprised at the sheer amount of references to other works:

The old Hulk piano theme when he's walking around in Central America, Lou Ferrigno's cameo, the purple pants, SHIELD's logo (still haven't hit on that acronym, I see), they even worked in a reference to the Ultimate Destruction game.

Although, not being a Hulk fan, I didn't hit upon Mr. Blue being the Leader until I saw the more obvious hint.

Overall, I think it's worth full price.

Finn Solomon
2008-06-14, 09:25 PM
Sam Sterns is the Leader? I thought he was Doc Samson!

turkishproverb
2008-06-15, 01:13 AM
But that's why we have DVD releases.

I was surprised at the sheer amount of references to other works:

The old Hulk piano theme when he's walking around in Central America, Lou Ferrigno's cameo, the purple pants, SHIELD's logo (still haven't hit on that acronym, I see), they even worked in a reference to the Ultimate Destruction game.

Although, not being a Hulk fan, I didn't hit upon Mr. Blue being the Leader until I saw the more obvious hint.

Overall, I think it's worth full price.

Erm, if he is the leader, thats messed up.

Me too, espcially considering
Mr. Blue was a code for Doc Samson in the comics

Twin2
2008-06-15, 01:28 AM
Me too, espcially considering
Mr. Blue was a code for Doc Samson in the comics

That could be just an easter egg.

He's most likely the leader due to him being Samuel Sterns. Samuel Sterns is the leader in the comics.

turkishproverb
2008-06-15, 01:34 AM
That could be just an easter egg.

He's most likely the leader due to him being Samuel Sterns. Samuel Sterns is the leader in the comics.

arg. I missed that.

kamikasei
2008-06-15, 04:37 AM

Someone else is credited as Samson on IMDB (I didn't check whether this is taken from the movie's own credits). I'm guessing it's
Betty's psychologist boyfriend.

SnowballMan
2008-06-15, 09:20 AM

Yes, I got the impression that there were parts edited out. At one point in particular General Ross seems to jump position and it seemed pretty clear it was an edit rather then a continuity error.

Also, the scene from the first trailer ("See a shrink." "It's a little more complicated then that.") wasn't in it at all.

Hadn't heard anything about a Captain America scene being cut, but they do set up a posibility along those lines. All I'm saying.

I enjoyed it, more so when I told the logical parts of my brain to shut up and enjoy the dang movie. (Don't expect the psuedo-science to seem any more plausible then an actual comic book, other wise you will be disapointed.)

Did anybody actually pay attention to what Sterns is spewing when he's talking about curing Banner. Banner and Ross are both scientist, but that hardly qualified as a doctorate level of discussion. I just felt that the two of them were humoring Sterns. Crackpot though he seemed, he still had the equipment they needed.

I really don't like when the military is depicted as idiots. I could list the many, many things that irked me, but the main thing that bothered me was the fact that Ross was still in command of ANYTHING after the first public screw up.

Leigh
2008-06-17, 01:16 AM
I absolutely loved the Hulk movie! I thought they captured the story really well, and the special effects were great. And plus I love Edward Norton.
When Tony Stark showed up at the end, I was so happy! Yeah, I'm a giant fan of Iron Man as well.:smallbiggrin:
*sniff* I smell a sequel coming up!

sealemon
2008-06-17, 08:32 AM
They purposely don't shoot Banner with tranqs so that he can become the Hulk. They have several opportunities and choose not to. Also, I doubt a college campus is the best place to engage an unstoppable killing machine. Just me.

Lastly, don't even get me started on the fact that he just happened to "not notice" that they were shooting directly at his daughter until it was too late. That's just pure stupid and bad writing.

Your interpretation; I humbly suggest you check out the 70's comic book Hulk stories, which this movie is obviously largely based on. The actions of the military, Gen Ross in particular, are spot on. Ross might as well have "Cap. Ahab" tattooed on his forehead.

I really enjoyed the movie. Not quite as good as Iron Man, but that's mainly because Hulk is more of a tragic figure. All the big guy wants is to be left alone, and he can't even get that.

Even the final Abomination/Hulk throw down was true to form: The Abomination is stronger than the Hulk, until Hulk gets mad enough.

Also, I really, REALLY loved Seeing Banner work on controlling the Hulk at the end. The sequel therefore not only promises to have The Leader in it, but also one of the other versions of the Hulk in it...I figure Professor Hulk might make a brief appearance before Banner somehow loses at least partial control of the Hulk, then maybe Mr. Fixit will show up

Loved all the references, as well as the back to basics approach of the movie. The Hulk concept is fine as it is, and the director recognized that.

LongVin
2008-06-22, 03:12 PM
I loved the movie thoroughly, one of the best superhero movies thus far it ranks right up there with Iron Man.

I also liked the little crossover at the end.

Though...I do have two pressing questions:

What the hell happened to abomination? The Hulk just left him there, he didn't kill him...he just choked him to near death and then walked away. Seriously, who is cleaning that mess up now? How the hell is the military supposed to just wrap him up and take him away, he is just going to go on another destruction spree...which leads to question 2...

2. The movie takes place in New York City, where the hell is Spider Man?!? His city is getting wrecked and where is he? Out delivering pizzas? On Vacation? Afraid of the Hulk? Is he the one who is going to be forced to wrap abomination up in a big web and throw it into the ocean or something?

Skyrocket
2008-06-22, 03:30 PM
I was really happy with the movie. I got most of the nods to really geeky fans and the story flowed much better than the last film. I was hoping the Hulk would speak more than he did. But maybe in the next film...