PDA

View Full Version : 4E Homebrew Primal World (PEACH)

Levyathyn
2008-06-10, 10:33 PM
Alright, I'm making a homebrew world for use mostly in 4E campaigns. The world is as yet unnamed, but I have a bunch of ideas and am now getting help on these forums. I'll outline the methodology below, according to the lists used in the 4E Dungeon Master's Guide.

The World is a Fantastic Place Not quite. This world is primal, and early. There exists almost every race and creature in 4E, save maybe a couple of handfuls, but they're not everywhere, nor is magic everywhere. Dark temples filled with yuan-ti, cults hiding in secret waterfall caves, worshipping forgotten gods, monstrous creatures terrorizing villages then disappearing. Picture Robert E. Howard's Hyboria, then 4E it.

The World is Ancient This is true, for this world. Civilization, however, is not. Humans, especially are a new race to the world, and most races who were here that long time ago are long gone. Many ruins exist in a few places, and there will be more languages than in the 4E book. Languages other than those mentioned in the 4E book will exist, but it should be easier to learn more.

The World is Mysterious True to a fault. Woods and jungle cover tons of the landmass, swamps litter the plains, mountains skirt seas, and frosty islands lie in wait for the unsuspecting sailors. If a map of the world was drawn, 90% would be blank. I'm aiming to have a large portion tropical jungle, if not outright forest, however, all environments will exist. Spots of magic, and magi environments themselves will be rare, and wholly focused in one area when they do occur.

Monsters are Everywhere Not as true here as in standard D&D. My plans for this world include a plethora of monsters, but inside the standard tomb, travelers might only find human-based undead, or even bandits. However, should the PC's venture outside the realm of civilized races, they would be in for a tough journey frought with all the greats. To produce this feeling of facing the unknown, many homebrew monsters and races will have to be made.

Adventurers are Exceptional Yes; Perhaps even moreso here. The roughest and toughest standard humans are simple caravaneers who brave slight danger travelling to and from human lands to nearby elves or dwarves. The rare exception will usually be outside the known, civilized area. The few called to the sword, or even the spell, usually die once they leave the known world, and few guides exist to the world outside.

The Common Races Band Together Not as true. Dwarves live secluded in their own underground cave systems, relying on stalwart fortresses and reliable defenders to protect them. The elves inhabit areas of forest/jungle near the humans, but protect themselves with mighty cities in the sky, held aloft on giant trees. Their military can easily defend the entire race raining arrows from above. Other races, such as Teiflings and Warforged, while they do exist, do not come from an empire and are rarer. Humans, last but not least, live out in the open in a blend of locales, spreading their cities farther and closer to the other races. Living mostly in the plains, humans rely on their gods and their men alike to keep danger out. A few wild tribes of most races exist outside the safe area, and these people are often dangerous, or are tougher than standard for their race, to account for generations of living close to trouble. Half-elves will be rarer, due to elves and humans being xenophobic.

Magic is not Everyday Moreso here. Magic will be rarer in this world. It is spread enough to warrant PC use, but rare enough to surprise people on the streets. In this area, we may need plenty of homebrew powers or magic items, again to convey the sense of mystery to the PCs. Those who find themselves under the tutelage of a mage are often able to learn few spells, or invoke them only by chane. Rarely, however, one finds magic an inborn talent, much as 3e sorcerors. Any books found of certain old races might have rituals. Even simple wizards are sometimes viewed with the fear and suspicion normally reserved for warlocks.

Gods and Primordials Shaped the World Nope. Gods exist, and I don't yet know whether or not Primordials will, but something has definitely happened to the gods since they created the world. New gods wait under every rock, in every stream, and in every person, waiting to be raised up. The more people who worship a god, the more powerful the god. I have some ideas here, but input is welcomed, as always.

Gods are Distant Indeed, if not farther. The gods in this homebrew world stay far away, manifesting themselves only as voices that individuals sometimes get. Their power is there, but divine magic can be as rare as arcane magic. As a kind of aside, the dwarves have a larger amount of divine presence than the elves, who in turn have more arcane. Humans are, as always, split in the middle. Those few who hear the call of a god, whether they be clerics or paladins, are often outcast and rarely believed. Proof causes even more suspicion. The only revered people are rulers of the inlands and survivors of the outlands, both of which are few.

In addition to what's listed above, I intend to homebrew the rules a little, adding in a few rituals to:

Raise controllable undead
Teleport anywhere
Create a teleport circle
Summon creatures

I also plan to add more low level 'good' creatures, to give evil PC's a little more of a chance.

Give input, if you care to, and I'll listen. There is much more to come, inlcuding languages and realms. I might retool every PHB race, edit the classes a little, and I might throw in a few more races from the Monster Manual as full races, such as the orcs. If you read this and can think of a homebrew reation that you think would go well here, let me know. Finally, any suggestions or questions you have, just put 'em out there. I don't expect too many people to love it, but I'll want honesty. =)