PDA

View Full Version : First post here! New sor/wiz spell

ZerglingOne
2008-06-13, 01:05 AM
I've been a long time reader here on these forums and I wanted to share a spell I came up with recently so here goes. :smallsmile:

Intercontinental Magic Missile (ICMM)
Evocation[Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 10 Minutes
Range: See Text
Targets: As many as level allows (see text)
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

To cast this spell a spellcaster must be scrying on their target or targets. After the ten minute casting ritual, the caster raises her hands to the sky and releases a magic missile for every caster level she possesses (max 20) at a target on the same plane of existence. The missiles do 1d4+1 force damage and seek their target unerringly, flying at one hundred miles per minute. The caster may choose to affect more than one target by making a successful spellcraft check DC 15 plus the number of targets she wishes to hit. Unlike normal magic missiles, these do damage to objects affecting 1 point of hardness per caster level (dealing only half damage on Mithral and 1/4 on Adamantine objects). If the target is within character levelx100 miles, the caster may choose to expend a second 9th level slot. If she chooses to expend this second slot, the magic missiles act as if under the spell Etherealness, passing through walls, closed doors, earth, and even the shield spell (25% chance), until they reach their target and return to the material plane.
Material Component: A seeding dandelion that is blown on moments before finalizing the spell.

magic8BALL
2008-06-13, 01:17 AM
Seems fitting your fist post ever is answered by my first post in quite a while.

The spell looks alright untill you get to the expending a "second spell slot to modify a spell" bit wich is useless anyway: being a force spell, the ethereal state of the missiles would not bypass walls etc, as they are still effecting the material plane and vica versa.

Why did this spell come into existance anyway? Is it an idea, or did need for such thing come about during play? Either way, why not just teleport there? is quicker and lets other players participate as well.

ZerglingOne
2008-06-13, 01:26 AM
This was just a spark of an idea, and it's also one of those "holy **** wtf is happening?!" spells, the idea is you don't have to be there to strike the enemy down. Plus I just happened to be thinking about intercontinental ballistic missiles when I thought of DnD.

Paragon Badger
2008-06-13, 01:55 AM
Seems a bit weak, maybe they can act like MIRVS and split into tinier (but still destructive) magic missiles shortly before impact?

Also, If I ever use this in a campaign- you can bet I'll have two wizards in two towers with Celerity cast so that when the other tries to use the ICMM, they will also cast ICMM. Mutually Assured Destruction. :smallbiggrin:

Jack_Simth
2008-06-13, 06:18 AM
It's somewhat weak for a couple of reasons.

1) It is stopped cold by Mind Blank (you have to be actively scrying your target), and at that level, Mind Blank is very nearly a given on anything with a low enough hit die to be meaningfully subject to the the ICMM.
2) A Psion or Wilder can be doing something similiar much earlier - the Remote Viewing power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/remoteViewing.htm) permits a manifester to zap after scrying (at increased cost) - and at 20th, there's methods to squeeze out powers like Fuse Flesh (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/fuseFlesh.htm) through them.

magic8BALL
2008-06-13, 06:31 PM
Yeah, 20 x 1d4+1 is a bit soft: 40-100 points of damage is nothing at 20th level (...unless it is the two wizards blasting each other out of their towers, in which case whoever rolls a better HP to damage ratio pretty much wins).

Level 9 multiple target spells usually have a maximim damage dice cap of 25 or 30 or such, correct? I don't have my books with me, so I cann't look it up myself.

My main problem lies with a basic rule I play with: anything PC's can do is open to NPC's. This means that if a PC wizard has this in their books, the PC's can expect to cop 5 x 1d4+1 damage each every 1/2 an hour or so untill they die onnce they are powerful enough to pose a threat to... whoever.