PDA

View Full Version : Eyes of the Lich Queen IC

Kyeudo
2008-06-14, 12:44 AM
With no warning, you suddenly hear the voice of what sounds like a gnome inside your head. "Your services have been requested. Come to Kern's Rest and Revelry tommorow morning to discuss arrangements. Be prepared for travel. A House Sivis Service."

Kern's Rest and Revelry is a rather large hostel of average quality located in the merchant district of Starilaskur, not far from the lightning rail station. The hostel is jointly operated by House Ghallanda and House Thuranni, and incorporates numerous performing stages and private dining rooms, as well as rooms for rent. The private rooms are said to have witnessed every sort of secret dealing, from the illicit sale of stolen goods to covert meetings between spies, and are rumored to be magicaly protected against observation, although more likely they simply incorporate the more mundane aproach of thin lead sheeting within the walls.

The hostel is fairly quiet when you arive, with only a lone bard playing for the various patrons enjoying breakfast. Once you inquire with the host, a perky young half-elf, you are welcomed and swiftly ushered up a short flight of stairs and into a balcony room that overlooks the stage below. A number of chairs are arranged close to the balcony's edge and a low table, laden with fruits and pastries, rests against the back wall.

A middle-aged human with dark hair and a neatly trimmed beard stands near the chairs, apparently enjoying the sounds of the lute drifting up from below. He turns as the door opens and, upon seeing you, gestures to the table. "Please, help yourselves. My name is Sur'kil, and we have buisness to discuss, which is always more pleasant on a full stomach."

((You may arrive together with the first comers or arive seperately later, as you so choose. Makes no difference to me, although it might mean things get explained twice.))

Wiz
2008-06-14, 01:43 AM
Will

The tall, young Brelander nods and takes a plate and begins putting fruit on it, and one pastry. "Since I couldn't eat this much, even if I desired to, I'm assuming that others will arrive. I'll save my questions til then, because I'm sure you don't want to have to repeat yourself."

Incarnum3
2008-06-14, 10:56 AM
A muscular young man walks tentatively onto the balcony, looking around to make sure he is in the right place. Seemingly satisfied, he takes a seat by the small table and takes a bite out of one of the pastries. He scratches distractedly at his cheek, which, along with the majority of the left side of his face, is covered by a blue cloth. He sits back in his chair, exhales slowly, and turns to face the other man present.

"Ejard Lukrinson," he says, reaching his hand out towards the tall, young fellow beside him. He then turns to the bearded man and asks,"You wouldn't happen to have anything to drink, would you?"

Kyeudo
2008-06-14, 11:15 AM
"Would you prefer orange juice or milk?" He indicates two ceramic pitchers along the back of the table.

Wiz
2008-06-14, 02:06 PM
Will

The young man licks pastry crumbs off his hands, wipes it on his cloak and takes Ejard's hand. "You can call me Will. I'm from Sharn originally." He glances over, apparently not having seen the pitchers at first, "Milk."

Incarnum3
2008-06-14, 05:49 PM
Ejard chuckles to himself when he sees the pitchers, and mutters,"Orange juice," before turning to Will. "I'm afraid I don't know much about these lands. Perhaps you could tell something of Sharn before whoever else might be coming gets here?"

thevorpalbunny
2008-06-14, 06:30 PM
Kabe ir'Morgrave

When Kabe walks in he remarks, "Haven't been here in a few years. The bartender has changed, but not much else."

Then addressing Sur'kil, "Why the secrecy of the hiring? Not that I object, I just prefer to know why we're keeping secrets -- and, more importantly, who we're keeping them from."

Kyeudo
2008-06-14, 07:22 PM
"It's not realy secrecy, merely good buisness practice. I want as little competition as possible in this endevor."

Wiz
2008-06-14, 07:48 PM
Will

Will shrugs, he opens his mouth and someone else enters. "Hmmmm... perhaps we should wait and see who all is coming." He looks at the gnome, "Is this everyone?"

Kyeudo
2008-06-15, 12:14 AM
"I am expecting two more. They should be here shortly."

Wiz
2008-06-15, 10:18 PM
Will

Will looks at Ejard, "Sharn's... well, it's just Sharn. Probably the most cosmopolitan, mostly human city there is. It's close to an elemental air node so it has this tendency to go up rather than out... but otherwise it's like most other human cities... just multiplied by ten or so."

thevorpalbunny
2008-06-16, 07:39 AM
Kabe
"You're a Sharn boy, too? Nice to meet you. I'm Kaberon ir'Morgrave, but practically everyone calls me Kabe."
He extends his hand to Will.

Wiz
2008-06-16, 02:55 PM
Will

Will reaches out to take Kaberon's hand, "People just call me Will. Did you attend Morgrave University, or are you actually related to the founder? I was here on an expedition with Dr. Shrike to the Mournland."

thevorpalbunny
2008-06-16, 05:40 PM
"Guilty on both counts. Larrian, the Master of Morgrave, is my cousin. I don't know Dr. Shrike very well, personally. Perhaps you've met Professor Gebin Visine? He was my tutor."

Wiz
2008-06-17, 12:59 AM
Will

Will nods, "I think I had him for Magical Trap Theory 250. Traps are my speciality."

MeklorIlavator
2008-06-17, 04:01 AM
Krellic
Krellic, you promised that you would relax on this vacation. Host knows, you need it after that last case...And you shouldn't be working for these people, especially if they know who you are. Just walk away, enjoy your vacation, and go home.
Krellic enters, muttering to himself"or just walk in..".

Krellic pauses in the doorway, scanning the room, and notes the three younger men standing together and the older man off to the side, before approaching the group. "Hello I'm called Krellic, you gentlemen were called here too? Any idea why?"

Krellic is not disguised at the moment

thevorpalbunny
2008-06-17, 07:27 AM
Kabe
"Not yet. He's Sur'kil, our employer, and we're waiting for one more. Nice to meet you, I'm Kabe."

Wiz
2008-06-17, 08:11 AM
Will

Will nods, "Krellic... call me Will."

Shottaz
2008-06-17, 01:31 PM
Muntassur stepped out onto the balcony, leaning gingerly on his quarterstaff, playing the part of the of the old man. He looked it. Though he was in his forties his pale exterior and hair (or lack therof) added more than a decade. Flashing a false smile, showing as little teeth as possible Muntassur sat down at the table and began shaking hands. To him these men assorted mineaswell be walking tomes of knowledge, because to him they were only a means to an end.

Smiling and holding out his hand he says, "I am Muntassur it is very nice to be meeting with you."

Incarnum3
2008-06-17, 02:46 PM
Ejard looks on in silence during the introductions, apparently lost in thought and wearing a brooding expression, but finally looks around when he notices that everyone seems to be present. He smiles widely, offers his hand, and says in a loud voice,"Ejard Lukrinson, happy to meet ye."

Kyeudo
2008-06-17, 03:45 PM
"Very good. Now that you are all here, we can discuss why I have asked you all here. I am what you might call an independant researcher. I have recently uncovered hints and rumors of an ancient site dating back to the so-called Age of Demons. I would like to employ you to investigate this location, and to retrieve a relic that I believe might yet remain there."

"This task is not without some degree of danger, which is why I require the services of individuals such as yourselves," Sur'kil continues. "The location, while nominaly still in Khoirevaire, is somewhat remote, and so I would like to procure your services for a period of at least four weeks. You will have free choice of any treasure found at the site with the exception of the relics I seek, for which you will be rewarded in full. I can offer you each a base fee of 250 gold pieces per week plus travel expenses. I will provide half up front."

thevorpalbunny
2008-06-17, 05:26 PM
Kabe
"Intriguing, but I'd have to know where you had in mind to accept. The pay is good, but I'm not sure it's quite good enough to get me into the Demon Wastes."

Kyeudo
2008-06-17, 05:46 PM
"I would rather not say where the location is specificaly, at least, not yet, but I can assure you that it is not the Demon Wastes. If it were, I would be hiring a small army before setting foot there."

Shottaz
2008-06-17, 07:29 PM
Muntassur winces as Sur'kil mentions that they can have everything except the relics. Leaning forward he tilts his head to the side, and pulls his seat forward as if he's struggling to hear Sur'kil.

I will decide for myself what we bring back he muses to himself.

"So what is it that we will be bringing to you?" Muntassur asks leaning forward in his seat and squinting for good measure.

Kyeudo
2008-06-17, 09:16 PM
"I don't know precisely, but hopefully tablets or slates with ancient writings, lost works of art or symbology, and other exiting finds."

Wiz
2008-06-17, 09:17 PM
Will

"Your terms are totally unacceptable. You may be an independent researcher, but I am a professional. First, you tell us you want a relic, which then becomes relics... then you tell us you're not sure what they are: writings or tablets, works of art or symbology, or other exciting finds? And who determines all these things? You? I have no intention of putting my life on the line and bringing everything back for you to decide what's yours and what's ours..." he glances at the group. "Furthermore, who is our priest, or healer?"

Kyeudo
2008-06-20, 03:58 PM
"I know which relic I believe you will find there, but one never knows what else may be found there, and there are many things which may be of intrest to me, quite a few of which would be of no intrest or use to you. That does not mean I will not compensate you fairly for whatever you bring back."

"As for a healer, I did not make arrangements for one per-se, but it shouldn't be too much a challenge for skilled proffessionals such as yourselves to work around. After all, the only danger I expect you to encounter is from local wildlife and primitive natives."

Incarnum3
2008-06-20, 04:10 PM
Ejard downs the remainder of his orange juice, wipes his mouth with his sleeve and places the cup down loudly onto the table. "Seems fair to me. I'm just looking for some pay. I'm your man, whenever you need us to leave." With that, Ejard leans back in his chair and closes his eyes, apparently uninterested in whether anyone else would be accompanying him on this mission.

thevorpalbunny
2008-06-20, 11:00 PM
Kabe
"Will has a point, though he was perhaps too rough in his terms. How do we know what you consider a relic? Will any of these relics be similar to the type of items made by, say, House Cannith? By what you have told us so far, if this haversack had runes on it it could qualify as a relic. We can't bring you what we want if you won't tell us anything about it. With that said, I'm in as soon as we have a satisfactory description of what we're looking for."

The Host know I could use something to do. I'll kill myself in a month from sheer boredom at this rate!

Kyeudo
2008-06-20, 11:32 PM
"I shall try to be more specific then. I am looking for objects dating back to the Age of Demons with historical, academic, or religious significance. I am not interested in weapons or tools, should you find any still intact from so long ago. I can assure you that much of the site where you will be going does not date back to the Age of Demons, so such items as I am interested in will be in the minority."

MeklorIlavator
2008-06-21, 12:16 AM
He wants to hire us for some sort of Job? But how did he know about me? I think I can swing four weeks, especially if I tell them I'm following some leads...yes.

Those Guidelines are more helpful, thank you. But just when are we supposed to leave on this expedition? I have some business affairs that need to be settled before I can leave.

Kyeudo
2008-06-21, 12:55 AM
"I intend to be setting out by lightning rail this evening. No sense in wasting time."

Wiz
2008-06-21, 02:35 AM
Will

Will looks more interested. "Ah, so you intend to accompany us. Also you will negotiate with us for any items except the one relic you will detail to us before we enter, and that item alone is yours without negotiation. That is much clearer and more acceptable! Now as to equippage, for the expedition; I don't know what your arrangements are, but I would like to inspect them. Also, I think you should provide some assistance for healing the party. I can do some healing, but really I usually only back up and assist a trained healer, it's not my main thing. I think if you provided a healing belt for each member of the party and five potions of neutralize poison, that should cover most situations." He smiles, "You assume we will only have to deal with wildlife and primitives... that's not much of a guarantee. The only thing I am certain to expect in an expedition like this is that there will be something I don't expect. And even if I'm wrong about that, don't put down the amount of damage wildlife and primitives can inflict."

Kyeudo
2008-06-21, 12:44 PM
"I will be accompanying you as far as Adderport, yes. As for the rest of your terms, most of them are acceptable. However, I am already paying you a considerable amount and paying for the travel arrangements, a cost which is not insignificant. Any further equipment, barring a few necessities that I was already going to provide, are your buisness, unless you would like to pay for your ship passage instead."

Wiz
2008-06-21, 06:13 PM
Will

Will shrugs, "All right, I suppose we can handle things among ourselves. I accept the conditions and the assignment, contingent on the others all accepting of course, I don't want to go into a situation like this undermanned. I would like to be paid our advance here, though, so we will have a chance to procure other equipment... unless of course there will be a stop along the way which is more likely to have explorer's equipment available?"

thevorpalbunny
2008-06-22, 09:47 PM
"Those terms sound fine. What time is the coach leaving?"

Kyeudo
2008-06-23, 01:00 AM
"The rail coach will be leaving the station at three o'clock. You will have until then to purchase any supplies you will need. Anything further that you decide you need you may be able to find on arriving in Adderport."

Wiz
2008-06-23, 08:44 AM
Will

Will turns to the others after receiving the assurance of advance money. "Five hundred apiece is not enough for belts of healing, they usually go for seven fifty. However, I'm willing to put my 500 forward as a loan to be paid back to two of you if you want to buy belts. I consider it an investment, since it will lessen the use of my healing magic on the party. Zero interest, just pay me back from your share of the profits."

thevorpalbunny
2008-06-24, 05:53 PM
Kabe
"I'll get one, I think. I've got a letter of credit I can draw, so I'll only need to borrow 80 gold."
He turns to Sur'kil.
"Our pay is in letters of credit, correct? I wouldn't want to carry a sum that large in specie."

Kyeudo
2008-06-24, 06:51 PM
"Niether would I." Sur'kil withdraws a small sheaf of papers from an inside pocket of his waistcoat, each carefully penned and notarized with the House Sivis mark and the Kundarak seal. He hands one to each of you that has accepted his offer of employment. He holds the last, looking at Muntassur. "Will you be joining us as well?"

Wiz
2008-06-25, 11:18 PM
Will

Will looks at his letter of credit, "Well, most stores that might carry such things can usually handle these, we should go... and we'll meet you on the train, sir."

Kyeudo
2008-06-27, 10:26 AM
Muntassur's silence gives his answer. Sur'kil returns the last letter of credit to his coat pocket. "Very well. If you change your mind before we leave, you can meet us at the lightning rail station. Alright, gentlemen, if there is no further questions, it would seem time for us to prepare for the journey."

((Shottaz has been offline for the last week and gave no word he was leaving, so I figure we may as well press on. Starilaskur is large enough that anything that is within your price range is readily availible, so just let me know what you are picking up and we can continue on.))

Kyeudo
2008-06-28, 08:27 PM
((I'm going to assume that no one has anything they want to buy then, and get on with the adventure.))

You meet Sur'kil at the lightning rail station, as scheduled, and depart. You travel in first class accomodations to Korranberg, where you board the Swiftwind, a Lyrander galleon chartered just for this expedition. Though you may ask for specifics before the Swiftwind sets sail, Sur'kil refuses to elaborate further until you are underway.

Once the vessal is safely away from the docks of Korranberg, your enigmatic employer finally fills you in on the details. "The location you will be surveying is in the jungles of the Q'barran peninsula, to the south of the great volcano of Haka'torvhak. From Adderport, you will have a five-day trek inland to the site of the Temple of Kha'shazul. This temple is your destination and the site of the relics you seek."

"The temple is now used by a tribe of lizardfolk worshipers of some half-fiend dragon god. From what I understand, they demand tribute from other lizardfolk tribes in the region, so I would expect them to be armed and capable. However, the temple and it's inhabitants are merely an obstacle."

"I believe that the Temple of Kha'shazul hides a deeper secret, one unknown to even the current inhabitants. My research indicates the temple occupies a place where an ancient demon was cast down. Such places were guarded, in legend, by half-dragon beasts. Somewhere beneath that temple, I believe that the crypt of one such ancient creature lies, along with relics of that time."