PDA

View Full Version : 4e: Cunning Knave Rogue Tactic

BardicDuelist
2008-06-15, 12:33 AM
Now, as I said in annother thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83250), I have a problem with the fact that intelligence is the best dump stat for rogues. To change this (so I can play my clever scoundrels again), I came up with a realitively quick fix. Please tell me your thoughts.

Rogue Tactics
Some rogues depend on clever skill and precision to complete their tasks.

Cunning Knave
You gain a bonus to Perception checks made to locate traps and hazards as well as Theivery checks made to disable traps equal to your INT bonus.

Make the following changes to Rogue Powers:

Riposte Strike (level 1 At-Will)
Add the following text:
Cunning Knave: Your riposte made as an immediate interrupt is an INT vs. AC attack that deals 1[W]+INT damage. Increase to 2[W]+DEX and 2[W]+INT at 21st level.

Positioning Strike (level 1 Encounter)
Add the following text:
Cunning Knave: You slide the target a number of squares equal to your INT modifier.

Setup Strike (level 3 Encounter)
Add the following text:
Cunning Knave: You gain a bonus on the attack roll equal to your INT midifier.

Imperiling Strike (level 7 Encounter)
Add the following text:
Cunning Knave: The effect last for a number of rounds equal to your INT bonus.

Fool's Opportunity (level 13 Encounter)
Add the following text:
Cunning Knave: You gain a bonus on the damage roll equal to your INT modifier.

Stab and Grab (level 17 Encounter)
Add the following text:
Cunning Knave: You gain a bonus on the attack roll equal to your INT modifier.

Steel Entrapment (level 23 Encounter)
Add the following text:
Cunning Knave: You gain a bonus on the attack roll equal to your INT modifier.

Perfect Strike (level 27 Encounter)
Add the following text:
Cunning Knave: You gain a bonus on the damage roll equal to your INT modifier.

Vikingkingq
2008-06-15, 12:34 PM
Well, you don't necessarily need any of that to play a "Cunning Knave" Rogue.
Why? Because, at least in 4e, Intelligence != intelligence. Rather, it reflects your book-learning, since Arcana, History, and Religion key off it, and those are all skills that reflect your education rather than any innate intelligence.

What you want is a high Wisdom, because Dungeoneering, Nature, Insight, and Perception all key off Wisdom. And that would be actually useful for a Rogue, because you would be a very handy skill-monkey type rogue, and you'd also be well set up for multiclassing into Ranger.

BardicDuelist
2008-06-15, 08:13 PM
Well, you don't necessarily need any of that to play a "Cunning Knave" Rogue.
Why? Because, at least in 4e, Intelligence != intelligence. Rather, it reflects your book-learning, since Arcana, History, and Religion key off it, and those are all skills that reflect your education rather than any innate intelligence.

What you want is a high Wisdom, because Dungeoneering, Nature, Insight, and Perception all key off Wisdom. And that would be actually useful for a Rogue, because you would be a very handy skill-monkey type rogue, and you'd also be well set up for multiclassing into Ranger.

I completely disagree with this. A wise person is not necessairly a clever one. Cleverness is an aspect of intelligence. Dungeoneering (itself having knowlege skills), Nature (again, with knowledge), and Perception are not cleverness. Insight may be in some cases, but not in the uses it has in 4e.

Book-learning is the skill itself. Intelligence is the ability to book-learn.