PDA

View Full Version : Need computer help! Quick!

Izodor
2008-06-15, 07:11 AM
Somehow I did something wrong on my pc (Vista) and now it is trying to open all .exe files in utorrent an gives an error. I am unable to open it normally and how do I change it back!

HELP!

Player_Zero
2008-06-15, 07:45 AM
Uninstall uTorrent. See if that works.

Izodor
2008-06-15, 07:48 AM
I wish I could do that. The uninstall file is an .exe file too.

Player_Zero
2008-06-15, 07:50 AM
So you can't Add/Remove programs either?

...What was it that you were doing that caused this?

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-15, 07:51 AM
I have no experience with Visbah(those are two dutch words meaning : Fish Eww), err sorry, I mean Vista. Neverteless I shall try to help.

Sweep the area of Utorrent clean. It shouldn't need a .exe.

Rawhide
2008-06-15, 07:53 AM
Try this. (http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm)

Disclaimer: I know nothing about that site or its files and take no responsibility if it stuffs your system further.

bosssmiley
2008-06-15, 07:56 AM
*looks* :smallconfused:

*tinker, tinker*

Uninstall uTorrent Vista. See if that works.

*nods in satisfaction*

The Valiant Turtle
2008-06-15, 08:06 AM
Here is a link I found, but it's for XP, not Vista. It definitely sounds like the same problem, but in Vista the fix may be different.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/exefile.htm

One thing you can try is right-clicking on the file and seeing if you have a "Run" option in the context menu.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-15, 08:10 AM
I second that correction of Bossmiley.:smalltongue:

And while you're at it, buy windows(xp).

Izodor
2008-06-15, 08:18 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

1. Yeah, I know Vista sucks.:smallfrown:

2. Rawhide, the files on the link you gave me do not work, as they are for xp.

3. Yeah, I have tried opening them by rightclicking them and selecting run, but it just opened it in utorrent.

4. When I delete utorrent (without emptying my trash, of course) it give a error and tells there is no known program associated with opening the file.

Renegade Paladin
2008-06-15, 08:25 AM
Okay, describe exactly what it is you were doing when this started. "Did something wrong" doesn't exactly help.

Thiel
2008-06-15, 08:26 AM
Annoying as it is, I think you might have to wipe your drive.

Izodor
2008-06-15, 08:29 AM
I was just opening a torrent file I had gotten from a friend of mine. I am not aware that I did anything out of the ordinary.

The Valiant Turtle
2008-06-15, 08:32 AM
This would be so much easier if Google wasn't on the fritz this morning :smallfurious:. I'm certain Vista has some sort of system restore feature to roll back your system to the was it was. I suggest finding it and using it.

If you are unable to find it I would recommend at least trying the registry edits in the link I posted earlier... if you can get a registry editor to run.

In XP you can also get to many of the file associations by going into My Computer (or any Windows Explorer window) Selecting the Tools menu, choosing Folder Options, and then going to the file types tab and trying to adjust file associations from there. Again, it may be different in Vista.

Rawhide
2008-06-15, 08:33 AM
Try this instead. (http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/165/1/Restore-the-exe-file-association-in-Windows-Vista-after-incorrectly-associating-it-with-another-application.html)

(Same disclaimer as before)

Izodor
2008-06-15, 09:01 AM
It works, thanks a lot, Rawhide, you saved my computer.

Lorn
2008-06-15, 09:04 AM
I was just opening a torrent file I had gotten from a friend of mine. I am not aware that I did anything out of the ordinary.
Was it the .tor file that you opened, or a file that was downloaded via the torrent?

If the latter, what was the file?

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2008-06-17, 06:37 PM
I think you'll find it's μtorrent, pronounced 'micro torrent' :smallamused:. Anyway, I don't have a clue, having been off Μ$ software for years.

Generic Archer
2008-06-22, 06:53 AM
actually it's pronounced mutorrent

the letter mu is nowadays used as the symbol for micro...
i was pleasantly surprised when i first downloaded mutorrent and saw that it wasn't just called utorrent and that the tagline was "a (very) tiny bittorrent client"
guess i was just surprised that they had actually put that much thought in to it