PDA

View Full Version : Robotech Movie : Epic Win in the Making?

Hunter Noventa
2008-06-16, 03:12 PM
The same man who wrote the screenplay for The Empire Strikes back has been tapped to write the screenplay for a big-screen adaptation of Robotech. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080616/film_nm/kasdan_dc)

I say, keep Micheal Bay and Shia LeBeouf away from it, and we may very well end up with win of amazing proportions. It's slated to come out in 2010.

Your thoughts?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-16, 03:46 PM
I'm scared, mommy.

This will either be Epic Win or Ultra HAI GUIS Epic Fail, with no middleground. Being carefully optimistic, I say it'll be the latter.

Tom_Violence
2008-06-16, 04:00 PM
Sorry to tell you, but you're doomed. Spiderman is producing it. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotech_%28film%29)

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-16, 04:31 PM
Even if it's terrible, we can watch Macross Frontier instead.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-16, 04:31 PM
First: you forgot to exclude Carl Macek from people not allowed near it.

Second: Foreman Spidey (I'm sorry, but they look identical) has his own production company?

Third: thank you for reminding me I need to find and watch Super Dimension Fortress Macross and its sequels. I guess I can't really comment until I watch that or Robotech itself.

Hunter Noventa
2008-06-16, 06:17 PM
It's already the Macekred version, so we can't worry abotu that too much.

And we can only hope that Spiderman is a robotech fanboy at heart.

CannibalHymn
2008-06-16, 07:07 PM
If Ville Valo doesn't play Khyron, I refuse to see it.

Various
2008-06-16, 07:34 PM
Sorry to tell you, but you're doomed. Spiderman is producing it. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotech_%28film%29)

McGuire is at the age where he might have watched the series as a kid like the rest of us. If that's true then this movie will be far more promising than what they're planning on doing to Voltron. :smallfurious:

hanzo66
2008-06-16, 07:45 PM
I was going to remark that Robotech is from what I've heard a butchered version of a number of the Macross series by mixing them all together and part of Carl Macek's legacy.

Then again I don't really think I've seen the series as a kid.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-17, 03:33 AM
I was going to remark that Robotech is from what I've heard a butchered version of a number of the Macross series by mixing them all together and part of Carl Macek's legacy.

It's mixing 1 Macross series with w series unrelated to Macross (but at least one of them had aired in the same time slot as Macross). They hadn't brought out a second Macross series at the time Robotech was made.

Fri
2008-06-17, 06:12 AM
to be honest, the macross saga from robotech is kinda good. I watched both of them (macross and robotech) as a kid. The second and third part... not as much, though it's not really macek's fault, other than trying to fit it into one story (on second thought, yes, it's macek's fault)

pendell
2008-06-17, 07:32 AM
I was a rabid fan of the TV series in junior high, and I read the companion book.

First, an amazing true fact: The reason for the 'butchering' is that the original Macross (which is what the producers really, really, wanted to show) is only 35 episodes long. Which is a great story, but at the time in order to be syndicated on American TV you needed 65 or so. What to do?

What they wound up doing was upping the episode count by taking two additional shows (Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospaeda) which were in the same boat, then stapling them all together back-to-back to reach the required episode count. The three shows originally had nothing to do with each other. But they strung 'em back to back, recycled some footage to make additional episodes to tie the storylines together, and re-dubbed the dialog slightly. Voila! One syndication-worthy TV show long enough to meet network guidelines. The rest is history.

Oh, they made other changes too. Southern Cross was originally not set on Earth at all, but on a human colony in the Epsilon Eridani star system (wikipedia tells all!) The original showed two suns in the sky, and one sun had to be carefully cropped out for re-use as part of Robotech, which takes place on earth.

Am I complaining? Heck no. I got three fine Japanese animes with English translation and story lines which were only mildly raped (IMO). Far better than what happened to 'Battle of the Planets!'

Thoughts on the movie:

It's been done before (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotech:_The_Movie)

2. Since I still have the original series in it's entirety on DVD, I will ignore the current movie. It's not that the new movie won't be good. I hope it's great! But it won't be *my* robotech, not part of *my* childhood. It'll be part of someone else's. I'll let you young whippersnappers enjoy the new. I'll stick with my old friends.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Skyrocket
2008-06-22, 03:39 PM
I'm optimistic about this project. If Toby is looking to play Rick then there are certainly far worse choices out there. Get the guy who did one of the *good* Star Wars movies to right it? Awesome!

If done carefully this could be fanboy gold the likes of which we haven't seen in ages. If it blows, well, the Robotech DVDs I have aren't going anywhere.

Mouse Anderson
2008-06-24, 07:04 PM
McGuire as Rick, boy that sucks. Does that mean will get Dwanye "the Rock as Gloval. Ick

Maelstrom
2008-06-26, 11:59 AM
Dennis Leary as Roy Focker FTW...