PDA

View Full Version : Alignment Matters in 4e!

Tequila Sunrise
2008-06-16, 06:14 PM
These are some homebrew powers that I whipped up for my first 4e session this Friday. I don't want to force my players to care about alignment, so I made them so they're not strictly better than other 1st level powers, but they are much cooler if used successfully against Evil or Chaotic Evil targets. Comments and criticisms welcome! (Unless you want to rave about the horror of alignment actually mattering. :sigh: Those comments aren't welcome here.)

Cleric Level 1 Encounter Prayers
Holy Word
You speak a word of power that sends creatures of evil fleeing in terror.
Encounter * Divine, Fear, Implement
Standard Action Ranged 10
Target: One creature
Attack: Wisdom vs. Will
Hit: (If the target is Evil or Chaotic Evil) The target moves its speed + your Charisma modifier directly away from you, heedless of unsafe squares or difficult terrain. This movement provokes opportunity attacks. (If the target is Unaligned) The target moves its speed away from you, avoiding unsafe squares and difficult terrain if it can. This movement provokes opportunity attacks. (If the target is Good or Lawful Good) The target moves half its speed away from you, avoiding unsafe squares and difficult terrain if it can. This movement does not provoke opportunity attacks.
Special: You must be Good or Lawful Good in order to use this power.

Cleric Level 1 Daily Prayers
Holy Word
You speak a word of power that sends creatures of evil fleeing in terror.
Daily * Divine, Fear, Implement
Standard Action Ranged 10
Attack: Wisdom vs. Will
Hit: (If the target is Evil or Chaotic Evil) The target moves its speed + your Charisma modifier directly away from you, heedless of unsafe squares or difficult terrain. This movement provokes opportunity attacks. In addition, the target takes a penalty to attacks for the remainder of the encounter equal to your Wisdom modifier. (If the target is Unaligned) The target moves its speed away from you, avoiding unsafe squares and difficult terrain if it can. This movement provokes opportunity attacks. (If the target is Good or Lawful Good) The target moves half its speed away from you, avoiding unsafe squares and difficult terrain if it can. This movement does not provoke opportunity attacks.

Paladin Level 1 Encounter Prayers
Smite Evil
You imbue your attack with radiant energy that scours evil from the face of the world.
Encounter * Divine, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: (If the target is Evil or Chaotic Evil) 2[W] + Strength modifier + Wisdom modifier radiant damage. Until the end of your next turn, the target takes a penalty to attack rolls equal to your Charisma modifier. (If the target is Unaligned) 2[W] + Strength modifier radiant damage. (If the target is Good or Lawful Good) 2[W] radiant damage.

Paladin Level 1 Daily Prayers
Smite Evil
You imbue your attack with radiant energy that scours evil from the face of the world.
Daily * Divine, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: (If the target is Evil or Chaotic Evil) 3[W] + Strength modifier + Wisdom modifier + Charisma modifier radiant damage. Until the end of your next turn, the target takes a penalty to attack rolls equal to your Charisma modifier and a penalty to AC equal to your Wisdom modifier. (If the target is Unaligned) 3[W] + Strength modifier radiant damage. (If the target is Good or Lawful Good) 3[W] radiant damage.

TS

Roderick_BR
2008-06-17, 07:59 AM
I like it. I've been thinking about something similar for my homebrew system. I read someone say that alignment in 3.5 works only to see what can hurt you.
A system that actually rewards you for having an alignment different of neutral/unaligned without making it useless against other unaligned characters works perfectly.
An idea I had for 3.5 was something like the Holy enchantment for weapons to be something like this: It deals +1d6 points of holy damage, additional +1d6 against evil creatures, and you need to be good alignned for it to even work. I don't know how magic weapons work on 4E yet, but I want to add it. Nice job thus far with the powers.
Ah, maybe add that only good or lawful good characters can use it. As is, you can stay unaligned, and fully benefit from it, without suffering much if someone else uses it on you.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-06-17, 04:49 PM
An idea I had for 3.5 was something like the Holy enchantment for weapons to be something like this: It deals +1d6 points of holy damage, additional +1d6 against evil creatures, and you need to be good alignned for it to even work. I don't know how magic weapons work on 4E yet, but I want to add it. Nice job thus far with the powers.
Thanks, and the weapon idea is great!

Ah, maybe add that only good or lawful good characters can use it. As is, you can stay unaligned, and fully benefit from it, without suffering much if someone else uses it on you.
Du'oh! How did I forget that requirement? *fixed*

TS