PDA

View Full Version : True Story about a weird vs. thread Eli Whitney vs. George Washington Carver

EvilElitest
2008-06-17, 07:55 PM
So in AP class we were talking about the Cotton Gin and Eli Whitney and mentioned how after the Civil War George Washington Carver helped bring about the growing of new crops (no he did not invent peanut butter) and somebody in my class asked who would win if the two of them had a fight to the death. I'm sorry, but this was so weird i just had to mention it
from
EE

Dryken
2008-06-17, 08:36 PM
George Washington Carver would make a gun out of sweet potatoes and bullets out of peanuts. Then he will shoot Eli Whitney, who will just be wearing a cotton sweater.

...and that's the end of that battle!

(and although Carver didn't invent peanut butter, he did come up with 300 uses for peanuts and about 118 uses for sweet potatoes. :P )

EvilElitest
2008-06-17, 08:37 PM
Was it Eli Jr. who helped make the Colt revolver?
from
EE

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-06-17, 08:40 PM
Nope. He just gave Congress the idea for guns with interchangeable parts...he only actually built or even had a hand in building a total of about ten guns, which were his examples.

That said, the Cotton Gin was a MUCH more dangerous piece of machinery than the average peanut, so Mr. Whitney might have this one. Not sure though...

EvilElitest
2008-06-17, 09:08 PM
Beaten to death by a cotton gin that is......

Wait a second, the Cotton gin led to an increase in slavery, and Carter was an ex slave so..............He was beaten because of Whitney. Ironic
from
EE

Moff Chumley
2008-06-18, 05:56 PM
Beaten to death by a cotton gin that is......

Wait a second, the Cotton gin led to an increase in slavery, and Carter was an ex slave so..............He was beaten because of Whitney. Ironic
from
EE

No. That is not how it works.

Nibleswick
2008-06-20, 03:20 PM
Well obviously Carver is going to win this, what with his peanut powered heavy assault mech, I mean what has Whtney got that can stand up to that?:smallbiggrin:

Tyrant
2008-06-20, 11:10 PM
The only one of these two I have witnessed in a fictional conflict is Carver. He was involved in a battle in The Tick* and his side prevailed, likely thanks in some part to his peanut firing machine gun. Now, he did have the backing of others such as DaVinci and Edison along with the nigh unstoppable Tick. However, they were fighting everything from Mongolians and armored elephants to cyber ninjas so I think it balances out. So, at least in the Media department, I believe Carver's greater combat experience will win the day for him.

*The episode was Leonardo DaVinci and His Fightin' Genius Time Commandos

Hectonkhyres
2008-06-20, 11:46 PM
I roll to disbelieve!
Damn. Didn't work.

kpenguin
2008-06-20, 11:50 PM
No. That is not how it works.

Why not? I mean, if we take "beaten" to mean being hit repeatedly as punishment, then it is conceivable that GWC would not have been born a slave to suffer that indignity if Whitney didn't cause an increase in the need for slaves.

Perhaps without the cotton gin making cotton plantations so very profitable, slavery would have died out in the South parallel to Europe.

Tirian
2008-06-21, 02:47 AM
The only one of these two I have witnessed in a fictional conflict is Carver. He was involved in a battle in The Tick* and his side prevailed, likely thanks in some part to his peanut firing machine gun.

Ah, but The Tick has also crossed paths with Eli Whitney in Karma Tornado #1-2, when they were a part of a team composed of Earth's greatest representatives throughout history. He may not have particularly distinguished himself, but that president name-stealing peanut fancier didn't even make the team and who are we to argue with the pandimensional hyperintelligent beings who selected the team members?

turkishproverb
2008-06-21, 03:00 AM
Ah, but The Tick has also crossed paths with Eli Whitney in Karma Tornado #1-2, when they were a part of a team composed of Earth's greatest representatives throughout history. He may not have particularly distinguished himself, but that president name-stealing peanut fancier didn't even make the team and who are we to argue with the pandimensional hyperintelligent beings who selected the team members?

The same people who chose the Tick? hyperintelligent?

Yea, I'm gonna pretend you didn't say that.

SurlySeraph
2008-06-22, 12:35 PM
This isn't the weirdest vs. thread I know of. I have created more than one vs. thread based on questions that I'd asked my history teacher.

I also once asked my teacher (who's very, very, very obsessed with politics) whether he thought Rush Limbaugh or Michael Moore would win in a fight. He thought about it for a minute, and then said that they'd both die of heart attacks ten seconds in.

But that's enough off-topicness for now. Carver wins, because he has a more intimidating last name than Whitney.