PDA

View Full Version : Daughters of the Waters [Creature]

The Demented One
2008-06-18, 08:17 AM
Naiad
Size/Type: Medium Elemental (Extraplanar, Water)
Hit Dice: 1d8 (4 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), swim 40 ft.
Armor Class: 14 (+1 Dex, +3 natural), touch 11, flatfooted 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/+0
Attack: Slam +0 melee (1d4) or Shortbow +1 ranged (1d6)
Full Attack: Slam +0 melee (1d4) or Shortbow +1 ranged (1d6)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: –
Special Qualities: Aquatic healing, darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits, ocean stride
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +1
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 12, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 14
Skills: Knowledge (Nature) +2, Listen +3, Spot +3, Swim +10
Feats: Point Blank Shot
Environment: Elemental Plane of Water
Organization: Solitary, procession (2-6), or court (4-12)
Challenge Rating: ½
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always True Neutral
Advancement: By class level (Favored Class: Druid)
Level Adjustment: +1

Naiads are minor water spirits native to the Elemental Water Plane. They are sometimes found in bodies of water on the Material Plane, migrating by means of deep-sea elemental portals. Naids, while at times capricious, are generally peaceful and helpful, aiding any who find them, albeit perhaps after a few harmless tricks have been played. However, if harmed, a Naiad will fight back fiercely, though they will attempt to retreat if it becomes obvious they are overwhelmed. Naiads have a body much like that of an elf or a dryad, well-formed and defined, but their bodies are made up entirely of water.

Aqautic Healing (Su)
A Naiad can heal herself by drawing water into her body. While fully or partially submerged in water, a Naiad can heal 1d4 hp as a standard action.

Ocean Stride (Su)
Once per day, as a standard action, a Naiad can teleport up to 30 ft. Either its starting or ending location must be in water.

Skills
A Naiad has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Stycotl
2008-06-19, 01:24 AM
aren't these already statted up somewhere, or am i thinking of 2nd ed?

The Demented One
2008-06-19, 07:47 AM
aren't these already statted up somewhere, or am i thinking of 2nd ed?
Not as far as I know. If they are, I'd just rename this Nereid, or somesuch.

Zeta Kai
2008-06-19, 12:19 PM
According to this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/monsters), a Naiad doesn't official exist, so they are free to homebrew. However, a Nereid is in Stormwrack, on pages 155-156.

Stycotl
2008-06-19, 06:12 PM
nereid was the one i was thinking of (i think).

whatever. pretty cool. nice creature for a low-level game. i think that ocean stride could be bumped either to 1/encounter, or raise the distance a little (100 yards, +/-).

DracoDei
2008-06-20, 09:49 PM
1/hour would be more in keeping with 3.5 style than 1/encounter, but don't let that constrain you.

Eighth_Seraph
2008-06-21, 10:24 PM
IMO, Ocean Stride should be an at-will ability. A standard action to move 30 ft. for a creature that already has a 30 ft. base land speed? It's a cool ability to be sure, and it's useful for sneaking around a swamp or damp cave, but it wouldn't be broken as an at-will, methinks, as long as it required line of sight. It would probably be a good idea to define the limits for "starting and ending in water", too. Would the drippings off a stalactite count? What about a nobleman's drinking cup? The priest's flask of holy water?

I feel like the class as you've written it up (made entirely of water) also needs some other ability. Massive skill bonuses to Hide when in a body of water and Escape Artist. The ability to slip through small spaces, not needing to breathe, bonuses to saves versus poison (or outright immunity), being slowed when hit with cold damage, resistance to fire damage, the list goes on and on.

Of course, it's all a matter of how badly you want to keep that +1 LA (I'd like you to keep it that way, personally), but there's so much opportunity for flavor here, that I think it's a shame not to use it.