PDA

View Full Version : The Mask vs. The Witch King

Steven the Lich
2008-06-19, 12:02 PM
This came to mind during the Soth vs. WK thread. I recently watched The Mask, so I thought, what the heck?
The Mask vs. The WK. The mask is a superly insane being of unparelled power, rivaling even Loki in chaos.
And in this corner, the Witch King, mightiest of Saurons servants, an undead with hundreds, nay, thousands of orcs at his fingertips, along with evil powers.
Two settings.
1) The Mask and the WK face off alone, with whatever they have in their pockets. Their location is an alley way in New York (How the WK got there we will never know).
2) Somewhere in Middle Earth (How the Mask got there, is less of a mystery). WK gets his Nazgul brethren and army of orcs, The Mask gets his baby and dog (Both of which are wearing the mask as well... duplicated).

Let us battle to the last. BEGIN!

EvilElitest
2008-06-19, 03:45 PM
i have no knowledge of the mask, but against the WK's entire army? never mind his ability to hurt the WK (if any) how can he destroy such a large army
from
EE

puppyavenger
2008-06-19, 04:04 PM
I can think of at least 3 maks of the top of my head, which one is it?

ImperialGolem
2008-06-19, 04:09 PM
The Mask hero, as in the Jim Carrey version, I'm assuming.

Anyways, the mask. This is only based on my knowledge of the movie (the first one).

He gets shot, repeatedly, and doesn't get injured. What finally defeats him is him being stupid and taking off his mask.

bibliophile
2008-06-19, 04:44 PM
Hmmm, tough call. The Mask is immune to purely physical attacks, but the Witch-King isn't called that for no reason. He wields powerful magic, and so could, in my estimation, overcome the Mask's inherent magic/chaos.
Plus, the Witch-King destroyed the entire Northern kingdom; what's the biggest thing the Mask ever destoyed, a building?

Revlid
2008-06-19, 04:48 PM
Since the Mask can essentially alter reality in any way that it finds amusing, I'm going to have to give this one to the Mask.

puppyavenger
2008-06-19, 05:06 PM
well in that case, the mask is a major artifact that boosts the greatest part of the personality to insane levels while destroying most of the morals and the rest of the personality. and it gives them super-powers. depends on who its on.

Seraph
2008-06-19, 05:25 PM
which version? movie-mask is more or less a looney tunes character, but the original version could be best described as The Joker with a Green Lantern Ring.

puppyavenger
2008-06-19, 05:36 PM
which version? movie-mask is more or less a looney tunes character, but the original version could be best described as The Joker with a Green Lantern Ring.

the original wins if that description is correct, and you can't kill a loony toon

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-19, 06:14 PM
In fact, at one point The Mask WAS The Joker, on a Batman crossover.

Steven the Lich
2008-06-19, 06:18 PM
I can think of at least 3 maks of the top of my head, which one is it
I'm talking about the Jim Carrey one. Now that was a role he was born to play.

EE, allow me to educate you in the mask.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJej6kCgxVM
He turns a entire police force into a congo line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KzSeGOaw1k&feature=related
He makes tommyguns out of balloons.

He carries bazookas in his pockets (And has a permit for them, oddly), he can cause a huge noise with a tiny horn, he can get an oscar for best dying scene, dodges bullets with dancing russian/elvis/self bending abilities, he can swallow a bomb meant to blow a building up (And all he has to say is "That's a spicy meat ball"), can paint a flush lever on a tree and use it to drain a fountain, and even pull out a mini-gun, shot gun, gun merged thing with a missile attached and then some to scare off some gangsters, then reveal the whole thing to be false. Oh, and he also fell out a window and went flat, and lived, as well as going bouncy ball in a hallway to dodge shot guns.

Read up on The Masks history on wikipedia.

i have no knowledge of the mask, but against the WK's entire army? never mind his ability to hurt the WK (if any) how can he destroy such a large army
See above for knowledge. And in that second setting, he is backed by "The Son of the Mask" which doesn't need the mask, and also the Loki Dog (What Milo or Otis (The two mask movies have different dogs) turn into). Thats the mask times three. Triple the chaos.
And see the first movie for what he would do to all the orcs. CONGO, BABY! CONGO!

well in that case, the mask is a major artifact that boosts the greatest part of the personality to insane levels while destroying most of the morals and the rest of the personality. and it gives them super-powers. depends on who its on. That is true. I believe it turned Stanley into the movie's The Mask because he watched too much cartoons...
While when his nemesis places it on, it is a more serious (And ugly) sight with more control

bibliophile
2008-06-19, 06:37 PM
the original wins if that description is correct, and you can't kill a loony toon

Have you ever seen Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Hilarious movie, but I digress. Loonytoons and the Mask, can, to a limited degree, ignore physics, and distort reality, but I think the Witch-King can prevent or overcome that with magic.

Seraph
2008-06-19, 06:59 PM
Have you ever seen Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Hilarious movie, but I digress. Loonytoons and the Mask, can, to a limited degree, ignore physics, and distort reality, but I think the Witch-King can prevent or overcome that with magic.

limited degree? The Mask's only limits are the limits it chooses at the time.

puppyavenger
2008-06-19, 07:01 PM

yep, it gives the wearer to look at reality and say "screw this, I'm doing MY way"

seraphimovic
2008-06-19, 07:03 PM

so it's you who stole my name :smallwink:
the witch king can just create an illusion and trick the mask. just sprinkle some shiny things here and there and the childish nature of the mask would be subdued.

Rowanomicon
2008-06-19, 07:12 PM
I believe The Mask's power is basically to "do whatever he wants" and that is a quite literal "whatever."

So basically nothing at all could beat him except for Pun-Pun, Squirrel Girl, Q, etc and I'm not saying they'd win, but those arguments would be pointless.

So, unless The WK has advanced knowledge of the Mask or gets a surprise round I'd say he's done for.

EvilElitest
2008-06-19, 10:23 PM
Mask is a comedy character, he wins,
from
EE

Tirian
2008-06-19, 11:14 PM
My question would be whether The Mask actually allows the wearer to actually do whatever he wants. If Stephen Hawking puts on The Mask, can he come up with a Grand Unification Theory? Or, like Roger Rabbit and his handcuffs, can The Mask only do what is funny and furthers the ends of chaos?

I'm sure that the Witch King would have his hands full as long as he didn't realize The Mask's Achilles heel, but I'm not certain that The Mask has the attention span required to actually destroy something as large as an empire when eternally vexing it would be so much more entertaining. I also think that we should give WK enough credit to eventually figure out that all you have to do is to get the guy to take his "face" off; The Mask is hardly undefeatable even in his own stories.

Hectonkhyres
2008-06-19, 11:38 PM
The Mask. For all intents and purposes, The Mask is Illuvatar... LotR creator god. He says something, it happens. A mountain falls on you, your orcs turn into poodles, he fills your hollow armor up with giant snails, whatever. It. Just. Happens.

The only way, and I mean only way, for him to be defeated is to convince or trick him into removing his titular mask.

Fri
2008-06-20, 12:47 AM
The Mask is Loki. Yakno, the trickster god from Norse Pantheon.

We can change this into a Loki vs Sauron. God vs Lesser God. How powerful is a god from norse pantheon compared to sauron?

tyckspoon
2008-06-20, 02:05 AM
The Mask is Loki. Yakno, the trickster god from Norse Pantheon.

We can change this into a Loki vs Sauron. God vs Lesser God. How powerful is a god from norse pantheon compared to sauron?

That's not quite accurate. The Mask is Loki applied for the sake of comedy. That makes a major difference. Loki is a fairly normal chaotic/Trickster figure (well, within the viewpoint of Norse myth, anyway). That means there are other figures that oppose him of equal or usually greater power (because the joke is better when you play it on a supposedly superior being) and there are rules he plays by, even while he subverts them. And sometimes he's a little too clever or somebody else sees through the joke and he gets his comeuppance. That figure we could talk about. He has limits, although they're deific ones and not particularly easy to find.

Loki as The Mask, on the other hand, does not seem to be a limited being. It's Cartoon Chaos, which takes the idea of no-limits freedom and cranks it to 12. It's a concept that doesn't just play with the rules, it blatantly rewrites them. The Mask's powers do indeed appear to be just whatever it wants to do. The only consistent facet of it seems to be that the Mask avatar's appearance and activities will be in some way influenced by the desires, so that it probably won't end up being much more than a persistent nuisance unless whoever is wearing the Mask is motivated to fight.

Shieldage
2008-06-20, 04:13 PM
The Mask gets his baby and dog (emphasis added) (Both of which are wearing the mask as well... duplicated).

C'mon, now, the WK can not be killed by man of woman borne, according to somesuch prophecy. Therefore the dog is so going to kill him :D

Also, the original comicbook mask was used by an African tribe to survive their yearly ritual beheading... I'm not sure how they got it, but I believe the Norse myth element was created by the movie people for audience familiarity and for a more coherent/condensed plot.

Also, the first chain of people to wear the mask in the comicbook series turned into cursed and murderous egomaniacs who ended badly, so the comparison to the Joker is apt. The mask became more in touch with it's calmer and beneficial side as time went on, however :)

puppyavenger
2008-06-20, 04:29 PM
My question would be whether The Mask actually allows the wearer to actually do whatever he wants. If Stephen Hawking puts on The Mask, can he come up with a Grand Unification Theory? Or, like Roger Rabbit and his handcuffs, can The Mask only do what is funny and furthers the ends of chaos?

sort of, give it to Jim Carey and he becomes what we think of as the character, give it to a would-be mob punk, and they become some really scary

Hectonkhyres
2008-06-20, 05:00 PM
Ok, everyone. It looks like we have a new game: What happens when <insert name> puts on the mask. Particularly fun if its the Patrician from Discworld or somesuch figure of unparalleled awesome.

Like, oh, I don't know... SANTA CLAUS??

Shieldage
2008-06-20, 05:11 PM
If Stephen Hawking puts on The Mask, can he come up with a Grand Unification Theory?

Probably, but I'd suspect the correct theory, if he came up with it, would be something that nobody wanted to hear.

For most other applications I'd go with the intersection of these two rules:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfFunny
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfCool

Kobold-Bard
2008-07-04, 12:39 PM
Hectonkhyres idea intrigues me.

I propose that Superman has aquired the mask. Would it increase his force for good or would it corrupt him?

Also going by the movies standards, the person or animal wearing the mask was only seen to affect humans, would its powers even work on orcs or mega-wraiths?

Rowanomicon
2008-07-04, 02:45 PM
I propose that Superman has aquired the mask.
I do believe he said someone awesome... I'm just kidding, don't kill me!

On a more serious note, I'm sure we can come up with someone much mroe interesting than Superman to wear The Mask, even just my searching within Superman's original medium I'd say Spawn, The Joker, Magneto, Wolverine, Tony Stark, Hawkeye, Thor (heheh), Gambit, Morbius (not 100% what would happen here), or even Batman (and many others) would have much more interesting results from The Mask.

Of course, my taste in characters is such that the Captain Americas, Cyclopses, and Super...mans...generally don't grab my interest.

Also going by the movies standards, the person or animal wearing the mask was only seen to affect humans, would its powers even work on orcs or mega-wraiths?
Damn the internet and it's not communicating tone.
Are you joking here?

Y'know, The WK might have one chance to win this...
If he could sunder The Mask then Jim would be pretty screwed.
Actually, does The Mask make the wearer immune to fear? If not then The WK's mere presence might end the battle in his favour.

Indon
2008-07-04, 03:48 PM
I'd say the Mask would win in the first encounter, and (the masks would) probably lose in the army encounter, because he would get bored of fighting and somehow screw up/throw the fight.

Powerful, yeah. Reliable? Not so much.

Kobold-Bard
2008-07-05, 09:49 AM
To Rowanomicon I'm sorry my comments were a source of annoyance to you.

Next - a factor that has not been mentioned yet (I think), going on movie standards only the Witch King can fight during the day whereas the Mask is only active during the night. This would make when as important as where.

Also does Carrey count as human whilst wearing the mask: if he doesn't then the fight goes to him right away as opposing numbers are not a significant problem.
If he does however then a straight engagement is a stalemate because the mask is immune to physical harm and the WK can't be killed by any man.

Demons_eye
2008-07-05, 10:58 AM
Alot of people here are talking if the mask was from the movie. Witch was toned down like 100%. The comic mask was much more deadly and prove to fights. He would beat WK no problem regardless if he is a man(bending reality) and the army would be no problem also, for the comic mask that is.

Zencao
2008-07-08, 12:40 PM
The mask would end up making all the orcs do thriller then drop them off a cliff in a 300 parody.

Then the which king would slash at him, slicing his stomach open, where the mask would simply say 'Would ya look at that!' pull the wound open further, and launch a spring-loaded boxing glove from his intestines straight into the witch kings face.

I'd say it'd be a stalemate from there on, the mask probably wouldn't kill the witch king, just torture him with slapstick and impressions.

In fact I'd say the Mask would probably find witch king much more fun to mess with and end up following him around just to annoy him.

Dervag
2008-07-08, 08:31 PM
Loki as The Mask, on the other hand, does not seem to be a limited being. It's Cartoon Chaos, which takes the idea of no-limits freedom and cranks it to 12. It's a concept that doesn't just play with the rules, it blatantly rewrites them. The Mask's powers do indeed appear to be just whatever it wants to do.So, in other words, the Mask is an avatar of Nyarlathotep?

Kato
2008-07-09, 02:01 AM
I'd also go for the mask... though it never encountered a magician I assume it's power to alter reality at will is simply enough... he'd turn into a nuclear bomb and blast half of the army into dust. Then repeat it for the other half. And finally turn into wonder woman or some undead or so to finish of WK. He can... he'd be pretty helpless I think, unless he can stop him with some spell... But i don't assume he could even come up with something as fast as the mask is able to act.