PDA

View Full Version : A homebrew item contest?

BisectedBrioche
2008-06-20, 07:56 AM
I was thinking that since there's now a Homebrew monster contest and a Homebrew class contest, maybe there could also be a homebrew Item contest.

Items don't have as much crunch as monsters or classes so it might be a good idea for more right brained playgrounders who are more intersted in writing fluff and such. What does the rest of the playground think?

Eighth_Seraph
2008-06-20, 09:41 AM
Hrm. This would be a tough one, if only because items have such a broad scope. We would need to steal part of VT's format for the Monster Creation contests in terms of theme. There are so many HUNDREDS of magic and mundane items in the compendium and in our own personal notebooks that we can't just ask for the best magic item, we'd be flooded out with entries. What we need is a theme for each competition. For example, one month could be "Righteousness' right hand", with the competition being for the best item that would serve to further the cause for good.

We would also need to keep in mind that items often come in sets, and decide whether we accept items sets as a single entry. Further, are artifacts considered items? Etc. Etc. I like the idea, but it'd be a tough thing to get started properly. But then again, what isn't? The question is, Monsieur Bisected, whether you or anyone on these forums would be willing to take it upon yourself to organize and maintain the effort.

If someone's willing to do this thing like Vorpal Tribble did with the Monster Creation contests, I see a great deal of potential in this.

BisectedBrioche
2008-06-20, 10:55 AM
I thought the contests were supposed to have a theme anyway...

Eighth_Seraph
2008-06-20, 11:06 AM
...you haven't answered the central question of my post. Would you be willing to take responsibility for starting and maintaining the contests you're proposing?

Jayngfet
2008-06-20, 01:54 PM
I think I'll add my knockout ball (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83265&highlight=knockout+ball).

BisectedBrioche
2008-06-20, 05:42 PM
...you haven't answered the central question of my post. Would you be willing to take responsibility for starting and maintaining the contests you're proposing?

Well I'm holiday from uni until September, so I probably could give it a shot.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-06-20, 05:48 PM
I'd also be willing to assist in this, as I ran a similiar contest on the WotC boards a while back, and that went fairly successfully. That said, I'm unsure on the decision-making part of these contests, but I'm willing to lend a hand where ever I can.

Also, we might want to have categories for 3.5 and 4e, unless we go with idea over execution, which poses its own problems.

BisectedBrioche
2008-06-21, 01:46 PM
I was thinking that entries could have a format like this (obviously different items would need slightly different descriptions, so I've posted multiple formats for different item types);

Weapon, Staffs and Wands Template
Name
Type: The weapon type. This may be one of the weapons from the d20 SRD (e.g. Repeating Crossbow, Flail, etc) or a new type which has been thought up by the entrant. Non-SRD or original weapons are not allowed.
Proficency: Martial, simple or exotic.
Damage/Crit/Crit Range: The damage type dealt by the weapon (slashing, bludgeoning, etc)/The Critical modifier/The Critical range
Range: The range of the weapon, melee weapons have a range of "Melee". If a weapon is thrown then it has a range of "thrown".
Max/Min Reach: Only melee and thrown weapons have reach. The max reach is the furtherst target, the min reach is the furthest.
Rarity: Describe it as common (its the item of choice for many), uncommon (Favoured by some), Rare (hard to come by or not in wide use) or Artifact (a unique and very powerful item).
Creation: For artifacts this gives the history of why it was created. For more common items it details the history of their development and how to craft them (including DCs, XP and GP costs, feats, spells, etc).
Use: Describe who will use them and what for.
Abilities: List speacial abilities here

[Physical description]

[Describe special abilities here]

Armour Template
Name
Material: The armour material. This may be one of the materials from the d20 SRD (e.g. Steel, Cold Iron, etc) or a new type which has been thought up by the entrant. Non-SRD or original materials are not allowed.
Proficency: Light, Medium or Heavy.
AC Bonus/Check Penalty/Weight: The AC bonus/Armour Check Penalty/The Weight
Rarity: Describe it as common (its the item of choice for many), uncommon (Favoured by some), Rare (hard to come by or not in wide use) or Artifact (a unique and very powerful item).
Creation: For artifacts this gives the history of why it was created. For more common items it details the history of their development and how to craft them (including DCs, XP and GP costs, feats, spells, etc).

[Physical description]

Wondrous Item Template
Name
Weight: In lbs.
Size: From fine to collosal

[Physical description]

I was thinking that a monthly competition with a theme and 3E and 4E categories could work, with a limit of one entry per category per entrant would work.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-06-21, 02:05 PM
Looks good to me.

Here's the important question though...how will it be judged? As items are easier to make than creatures, I would expect many more entries. Thus a traditional voting method might be to complicated.

Personally, I'd suggest a panel of judges like the Iron Avatar competition uses...have, say, five judges, with a random four judges looking at each item (so that if a judge submits an item, it can still receive a full review). Maybe use categories such as:

Flavor: 15 points
Mechanics: 10 points
Campaign Use (Can it be incorporated well, or is it just plain useless in an actual game): 5 points
Judge's Opinion: 20 points

Just to throw something out there quickly.

BisectedBrioche
2008-06-21, 02:30 PM
Having judges could work, but finding a panel and having them judge the entries could prove troublesome. Since items are easier to make, perhaps the deadline for each month could be shortened (so more of the month is devoted to findign a winner) and then the entries could be done round robin, where entries are put into groups of two or more. Each voter votes for their favorite in each group and the "winner" in each group goes to the next round and they're put into groups and so on until we have 4 entrants left for a final vote to decide the month's winner.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-06-22, 12:15 AM
Problem is that that method takes SO LONG to accomplish anything valid, as votes must be tallied for each step. Additionally, a random pairing could eliminate the best two items in the first round...something that simply shouldn't be allowed.

BisectedBrioche
2008-06-22, 06:53 AM
The thing is, I've seen too many contests in message boards fail (yes, really) because they relied on judges who ended up being unreliable. As I said, finding a group of people with the time to go through and score entries could be problematic. So I'd like to avoid using a panel of judges if possible.

EDIT: What we have a sort of a "pilot" contest some time this week to test things and stick to the standard voting thread method, and if that doesn't work we can try something else?

BisectedBrioche
2008-06-23, 05:08 AM
If no one has any objections, I'll try and start a contest on Tuesday or Wednesday and see how it goes.

levi
2008-06-24, 07:10 AM
We'll, it's Tuesday? Ya startin' a contest or what?

Just kidding, I'm not that pushy. But this really does sound like fun and most of my homebrew is items, so I want to enter.

AjaxTorbin
2008-06-26, 01:27 AM
Oremünd: Earth Hammer
This +2 Bludgeoning, Throwing, Pick Hammer truly comes alive in the hands of a worthy Dwarf.
If used in the defense of Dwarven kind, three times a day it can use Earthbolt (ComArcane PG 104) as the spell as cast by an eighth level caster (5d6). It takes a standard action do use this ability. If used by a Dwarf the spell is cast at maximum damage potential (10d6) and can be used an additional time per day.

Earth Blood:
Oremünd can change its form and material at will. In combat, as a standard action it can change to any damage type or weapon material. Also, if somehow damaged, Oremünd will repair itself if buried in earth or stone.

These abilities can be used if Oremünd is wielded by a Dwarf it finds worthy of his ancestry:
Bonds of Earth: Oremünd ignores the hardness of stone or metal, and its wielder receives +4 to sunder attempts. Oremünd dislikes flying creatures and any creature with the Air subtype and my use Cyclonic Blast (Pg 57 Spell Com.) three times a day against such creatures.

Blessing of the Dwarven Maker:
The foes of Dwarves are Giants, Orcs and goblins. Oremünd acts as a Bane weapon when fighting these creatures.
Once a week Oremünd can call upon the Great Ancestors for aid. For one minuite per Character level this weapon becomes a Dwarven Ancestor. (Pg 52 of MM IV)
If this weapon is thrown by a Dwarf it has the Returning property.

Needs of the Present:
This weapon may change to any +1 weapon enhancement. This ability works 3/Day; the change is permanent until changed again by the wielder. (+1 abilities include: Flaming, Acidic, Frost, Ghost Touch and Shock)
Spell like abilities:
3/day Mend
3/day transmute earth
1/week Creation
1/week Repair
1/year Major Creation and Bestow Dewemer

Blade of The Storm Wind:
These +2 Keen, Grace Strike, scimitars are a relic of a forgotten age. It was once given to legionnaires in the far south who performed some great service to the Rajah of Teal-Lacrune, where the currant city of Nartendo sits.
In the hands of someone with desert blood it can be thrown at enemies, as the Whirling Blade spell and will protect as the Endure Elements spell.
Also, three times a day it can be used to change or counter wind or bring rains as with a Control Weather spell.
Legends also tell that a few of these blades were enchanted to a greater degree, although none such as that have been found.

BisectedBrioche
2008-06-26, 04:42 AM
Oremünd: Earth Hammer
This +2 Bludgeoning, Throwing, Pick Hammer truly comes alive in the hands of a worthy Dwarf.
If used in the defense of Dwarven kind, three times a day it can use Earthbolt (ComArcane PG 104) as the spell as cast by an eighth level caster (5d6). It takes a standard action do use this ability. If used by a Dwarf the spell is cast at maximum damage potential (10d6) and can be used an additional time per day.

Earth Blood:
Oremünd can change its form and material at will. In combat, as a standard action it can change to any damage type or weapon material. Also, if somehow damaged, Oremünd will repair itself if buried in earth or stone.

These abilities can be used if Oremünd is wielded by a Dwarf it finds worthy of his ancestry:
Bonds of Earth: Oremünd ignores the hardness of stone or metal, and its wielder receives +4 to sunder attempts. Oremünd dislikes flying creatures and any creature with the Air subtype and my use Cyclonic Blast (Pg 57 Spell Com.) three times a day against such creatures.

Blessing of the Dwarven Maker:
The foes of Dwarves are Giants, Orcs and goblins. Oremünd acts as a Bane weapon when fighting these creatures.
Once a week Oremünd can call upon the Great Ancestors for aid. For one minuite per Character level this weapon becomes a Dwarven Ancestor. (Pg 52 of MM IV)
If this weapon is thrown by a Dwarf it has the Returning property.

Needs of the Present:
This weapon may change to any +1 weapon enhancement. This ability works 3/Day; the change is permanent until changed again by the wielder. (+1 abilities include: Flaming, Acidic, Frost, Ghost Touch and Shock)
Spell like abilities:
3/day Mend
3/day transmute earth
1/week Creation
1/week Repair
1/year Major Creation and Bestow Dewemer

Blade of The Storm Wind:
These +2 Keen, Grace Strike, scimitars are a relic of a forgotten age. It was once given to legionnaires in the far south who performed some great service to the Rajah of Teal-Lacrune, where the currant city of Nartendo sits.
In the hands of someone with desert blood it can be thrown at enemies, as the Whirling Blade spell and will protect as the Endure Elements spell.
Also, three times a day it can be used to change or counter wind or bring rains as with a Control Weather spell.
Legends also tell that a few of these blades were enchanted to a greater degree, although none such as that have been found.

You need to post it in the contest thread.