PDA

View Full Version : Get Smart movie: worth it?

Serpentine
2008-06-20, 09:43 AM
I was always a fan of Get Smart, and I'm extremely dubious about an attempt to do anything with it without Don Adams, but I'm trying to keep an open mind. Has anyone seen it, who preferably has seen the originals as well, and can tell me whether it's any good? Any reviews?

Innis Cabal
2008-06-20, 02:11 PM
I think Carrel can carry it, if anyone can, its him.

TheGreatJabu
2008-06-20, 07:50 PM
Just got back from seeing it - I sincerely think that it is a total success! The humor isn't 100% like the old show, but that's to be expected since times have changed. They did a great job of translating the humor, though. It's not a straight shot of slapstick, sex jokes, or yelling in funny voices like so many "comedy" movies of today go for. There's a few marginal changes in the character's personas - Carrell's Smart is still a bit low in the Wisdom department, and in this movie he is a newly-promoted field agent, but he brings a highly impressive amount of cunning from his old job as an intelligence analyst for CONTROL. Agent 99 is now quite similar to the increasingly-common "butt-kicking hot chick" character that Hollywood movies feature. Not complaining, just stating that she's much more aggressive than the TV show variant. However, she does spend the first hour of the movie in her old role of making sure Max keeps out of trouble a majority of the time. I don't consider myself a good judge of acting, but I was impressed by the way that Hathoway and Carrell did a good job of communicating the growing trust in their partnership over the course of the movie through everything, even down to their nonverbal communication.

Ultimately, I'd absolutely recommend seeing it. I was a fan of the old show, and I'm not a fan of many modern comedies, but this movie DEFINITELY gets my stamp o' approval.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-06-20, 08:56 PM
I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. I went in expecting it to be dumb, but as I enjoyed their own brand of stupid in the old series I thought I might like it. It was actually a lot more serious than they make it out to be in the previews and kept the slapstick to a tasteful level.

Not by any means was it not funny and have its dumb parts, cuz it was throughout, but it was realistic.

Also, the chemistry and eventual romance between 99 and Max was believable and not forced or rushed like they generally tend to be (*cough*Neo and Trinity*cough*)

All in all, a really awesome movie.

Walrus
2008-06-20, 09:43 PM
I'm hopin I'll get a chance to go see Get Smart fairly soon. I watched reruns of the series when I was a kid and loved it. I think Steve Carrell is pretty much the perfect casting choice for Maxwell Smart.

Warpfire
2008-06-20, 09:47 PM
I thought it was a really funny movie.

Never seen any of the series, though.

smellie_hippie
2008-06-22, 07:11 PM
Excellent film.

I think Steve Carrell did an excellent job. I saw a few episodes of the original series, but wouldn't consider myself a 'true fan'. Regardless of your Get Smart background, it was an enjoyable film.

hanzo66
2008-06-22, 11:28 PM
It was a fun movie. Rather liked The Rock's retort to Larabee for being a jackass (stapling a document to the guy's head) and I do agree that the new version of Smart is surprisingly crafty at times. To quote Lewis Black, you can't call him smart (except in name), yet you can't call him stupid.

SilentNight
2008-06-23, 09:38 AM
I thought it was okay. Smart was a little too smart and the whole fat thing seemed unneccessary. What I didn't like was the massive amount of green screen and the periodic switches between movie film and what looked like a home video if you know what I mean. Like when they're about to go through the lasers and during a lot of the fight scenes. All in all though, it was pretty good.

zeratul
2008-06-25, 05:03 PM
I just saw it and thought it was great. My dad who is a bag fan of the original series, loved all the references to old gags, and thought it stayed pretty true to the old style aside from it being a bit more serious. Really funny, Anne Hathaway, and Steve Carell are great.

Phase
2008-06-25, 05:34 PM
It was terrific! The only real complaint I had was a slightly poor firing of a Chekov's gun near the end, but other than that it was great.

JadedDM
2008-06-25, 07:27 PM
I thought this movie was a huge disappointment. It wasn't even funny. I kept getting bored waiting for something funny to happen. It was as if at points in the film they forgot they were doing a comedy and were doing a straight spy movie.

Did Mel Brooks even work on this film at all, I wonder?

There was way too much backstory and plot going on here. Get Smart was funny for the sake of funny. We don't need an elaborate backstory fed to us to explain why Agent 99 looks half Max's age. Good lord.

Speaking of Agent 99, why is she portrayed as such a bitch? What on earth did Max see in her? It baffles.

This film was so terribly mediocre.

Jae
2008-06-26, 12:30 AM
Definitely funny. I dont know that I can say I found it as funny as my friend did, who could not stop laughing hysterically, but I'd say it was worth it.

But I'm a huge Carrel fan.
(office addict.)

skywalker
2008-06-26, 03:01 AM
I thought the movie was great.

Max might've been a bit "smarter" than he was in the series but I'm really not sure.

The whole movie captured how cool Max was back in the day without being too much of an "homage."

I liked it a lot.

TheGreatJabu
2008-06-26, 02:31 PM
I thought this movie was a huge disappointment. It wasn't even funny. I kept getting bored waiting for something funny to happen. It was as if at points in the film they forgot they were doing a comedy and were doing a straight spy movie.

Did Mel Brooks even work on this film at all, I wonder?

There was way too much backstory and plot going on here. Get Smart was funny for the sake of funny. We don't need an elaborate backstory fed to us to explain why Agent 99 looks half Max's age. Good lord.

Speaking of Agent 99, why is she portrayed as such a bitch? What on earth did Max see in her? It baffles.

This film was so terribly mediocre.

You know what about this thread brings joy bubbling up from deep within me? This thread was created so that everyone could very simply share their opinion on what they thought about the new Get Smart movie. Thus far, everyone but JadedDM has shared roughly the same opinion, yet no one here is trying to tell JadedDM that his opinion is wrong for reasons A, B, C, D, and E! It's blissfully rare that there's a place on this forum where an opinion can be shared without it being immediately followed with a five-point essay chock-full of Wikipedia citations discussing why your personal feelings are incorrect.

To every single person involved in this thread thus far, thank you. :smallsmile: This is not a joke; I am not being sarcastic - this is one of the best "Discussion" threads I've ever taken part in.

Before anyone feels compelled to retort with "What? So we should never try to logically defend our positions to strip away falsehoods?", just let me add that this specific thread isn't about finding the ultimate truth in Get Smart - it's just about our preferences. I, in no way, consider debate or intellectual scrutiny to be bad things. They just have no place when discussing purely subjective opinions.

Innis Cabal
2008-06-26, 04:06 PM
When one does something right, it wont seem anyone did anything at all-God

Lots of threads like this are out there :P

As for the movie, saw it, liked it but i wouldnt call it a block buster

linmacca
2008-06-28, 12:52 PM
I watched the TV series as a little kid, honestly I don't remember it very well, so I can't really compare the movie to the show. But really, I liked the movie! It isn't the most amazing thing in the world, but I'd gladly watch it again. It was all very stupid, but in a good sort of way, if that's possible. I was laughing all through it. I even enjoyed the action scenes. Steve Carell is wonderful as Maxwell Smart.

In my opinion, not every movie has to be a perfect cinematic masterpiece, as long as it's enjoyable. And I enjoyed Get Smart.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-06-28, 02:52 PM
It was a fun movie. It wasn't a masterpiece, but it was entertaining enough to hold my interest. Some of the jokes were pretty weak though. The funniest one was the Russian peasant woman with the camera phone. Other jokes I didn't get, like Max's dream when he was in the cell. Still, it was a fun ride. It was at least worth the five dollars I spent on my matinee ticket.

Jae
2008-06-28, 07:27 PM
I would like to add to my last post that I wouldnt suggest watching it three times, especially if two of those are the same day and immediately after one another...

the third time around you just end up looking for any and all distractions to the actual movie :smalltongue:

Leigh
2008-06-28, 08:15 PM
I've been wanting to see Get Smart for a while now, actually...and yes, I do think it's worth it. I mean, Steve Carrell and Anne Hathaway are in it, what more do you need? I've heard that it wasn't the best of all movies, but it's pretty funny.

kpenguin
2008-07-02, 12:52 AM
Well, I enjoyed Get Smart. It wasn't uproariously funny, but it was funny. However, it did rely a lot on Steve Carrell's unique charisma.

If anyone wants to see what Get Smart would have been without Steve Carrell, see the direct-to-dvd spin-off: Get Smart's Bruce and Lloyd Out of Control. the only thing that redeems that film is the pairing of Masi Oka and Jayma Mays, which gives me an odd warm feeling.

Heroes fans will know what I mean. :smallwink: