PDA

View Full Version : 3e Paladin Special Mount

sonofzeal
2008-06-21, 09:00 PM
At what level should special paladin mount options be available? Could a lvl7 Paladin NPC be reasonable expected to have aquired (say) a Hippogriff?

Also, what are your favorite options for Paladin mounts? Metalic Dragons are obvious, but what else have you used, seen, or read about that would be nice to use, and at what levels would they be reasonable?

Townopolis
2008-06-21, 09:31 PM
my favorite paladin "mount" ever was when my DM agreed to let my human paladin take the riding dog. Biscuit was never used as a mount, but could follow Gredon into dungeons and was useful.

Eventually, I killed off Gredon because he had a bad attitude, pity about the dog. I had been RPing him too, and the rest of the group loved him.

sonofzeal
2008-06-21, 10:26 PM
That's an interesting approach. Riding Dogs are specifically allowed so it's technically RAW, but it's not being used as a Mount as intended. Still, it seems like it would be a very valuable addition to the team.

Anyone else?

Ned the undead
2008-06-21, 11:09 PM
Dragonne? I think that could be allowed. However I'm at my Grandad's and don't have my books with me so.....

RTGoodman
2008-06-21, 11:18 PM
If you've got a DMG 3.5, flip to pg. 204. It's got several variant mounts and the levels they suggest giving them to Paladins. It lists Hippogriff as an alternate mount for Paladins of 6th lever higher.

My personal favorite Paladin Special Mount is any sort of dinosaur, but that's mostly just because riding a dinosaur at all is awesome, and having a celestial dinosaur companion sent from the heavens to aid you is even better. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Also, if you're the DM and the Paladin in question is an NPC, just give him what you want unless your players are going to complain about it. Just don't give him a Great Wyrm Silver Dragon that DMPC's everything to death and you'll be good.

KillianHawkeye
2008-06-22, 12:34 AM
Also, if you're interested in dragons, check out chapter 3 of Draconomicron: Dragons as Mounts p.136, Dragons as Cohorts p.138, Dragons as Special Mounts/Fiendish Servants p.139, and Dragons as Familiars p.141.

sonofzeal
2008-06-22, 07:45 AM
If you've got a DMG 3.5, flip to pg. 204. It's got several variant mounts and the levels they suggest giving them to Paladins. It lists Hippogriff as an alternate mount for Paladins of 6th lever higher.

My personal favorite Paladin Special Mount is any sort of dinosaur, but that's mostly just because riding a dinosaur at all is awesome, and having a celestial dinosaur companion sent from the heavens to aid you is even better. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Also, if you're the DM and the Paladin in question is an NPC, just give him what you want unless your players are going to complain about it. Just don't give him a Great Wyrm Silver Dragon that DMPC's everything to death and you'll be good.
Ah, thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for! I figured it'd be somewhere, but I wasn't sure if it was in the DMG, Complete Divine, Defenders of the Faith, or something else entirely. My copy seems to have serious formatting issues, but it works for this. Yay!

And I know I can give him anything, but it's nice to follow guidelines. =P

Renegade Paladin
2008-06-22, 08:07 AM
For 3.0 it was in Defenders of the Faith; it was moved to the DMG in 3.5.