PDA

View Full Version : hacked!

thubby
2008-06-22, 01:21 PM
my world of warcraft account has been hacked. and so, presumably, has my email :smalleek:
so if i have been acting strangely, or do in the nearby future, thats why.
also, I'm probably going to be significantly less active while i sort this all out.

feel free to share tales of your own hacked woes, or just pity me, either way.

DraPrime
2008-06-22, 01:32 PM
A while back someone hacked my account here and claimed I was leaving.

reorith
2008-06-22, 02:12 PM
this one time, a guy i didn't like saved his email address and password on a computer in the public lounge. not only that but, he had saved them in the fields on the facebook login page. so being the philip k. that i am, i tried the password for the email and got in. i forwarded all his spam to his mom, changed a bunch of his passwords to other sites and then i went onto his facebook. i changed his status, broke up with his girl friend and made {scrubbed} his default picture and tagged his gf in it. truly, that was a great day.

Inhuman Bot
2008-06-22, 02:18 PM
this one time, a guy i didn't like saved his email address and password on a computer in the public lounge. not only that but, he had saved them in the fields on the facebook login page. so being the philip k. that i am, i tried the password for the email and got in. i forwarded all his spam to his mom, changed a bunch of his passwords to other sites and then i went onto his facebook. i changed his status, broke up with his girl friend and made goatse his default picture and tagged his gf in it. truly, that was a great day.

Thats a great day to you?

reorith
2008-06-22, 02:24 PM
Thats a great day to you?

yes. yes it is.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-06-22, 02:32 PM
this one time, a guy i didn't like saved his email address and password on a computer in the public lounge. not only that but, he had saved them in the fields on the facebook login page. so being the philip k. that i am, i tried the password for the email and got in. i forwarded all his spam to his mom, changed a bunch of his passwords to other sites and then i went onto his facebook. i changed his status, broke up with his girl friend and made goatse his default picture and tagged his gf in it. truly, that was a great day.
That's plain... evil. Not something to be proud of IMO.

NikkTheTrick
2008-06-22, 02:35 PM
You do realize that he's honor-bound to find you and eat you alive after that? Chances are, he is still going through the internets, looking for you. In fact, he may be one of us. And now he read your message. It is only weeks, nay, days until he figures out who you are. He must be sharpening his fork right now...

Hoplite
2008-06-22, 03:01 PM

Although I understand that it must have given you a great feeling, we all hate some people who we would like to do these things to. Revenge feels good, but this really is quite wrong.

Copacetic
2008-06-22, 03:09 PM

*applause*

Not that I'm saying what you did is a good thing, but it was well done. Well done, you Magnificent Bastard (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagnificentBastard).

insecure
2008-06-22, 03:16 PM

Evil. Just plain evil.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-22, 03:19 PM

Heheh. Only his own fault he was that stupid:smallamused:
(I'm chaotic neutral, I'm allowed to make such a comment:smallamused:)

de-trick
2008-06-22, 03:23 PM
not a true hack, but i left my account to the forum logged in and one of my "friends" got me a infraction, but thanks, to the wonderful moderators they lowered it to a warning.

Victor Thorian
2008-06-22, 04:42 PM

I tip my hat to you sir. *wink*

Player_Zero
2008-06-22, 04:46 PM
My parents once got online bank-frauded as I recall...

I don't think I've ever been hacked... But then, I don't have anything valuable enough to hack on the internet or which I wouldn't just laugh off. It's not like these people are gonna' come getcha' if they know where you live. :smalltongue:

And reorith, I cannot condone your actions, however I will say that that are both hilarious AND amusing. :smallsmile:

Mauve Shirt
2008-06-22, 04:50 PM
Reorith, you are fantastically evil.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-06-22, 08:58 PM
I think four of five of my friends have my email and facebook passwords... I trust them though and they won't really do stupid crap with it.

Em Blackleaf
2008-06-22, 09:27 PM
Although I understand that it must have given you a great feeling, we all hate some people who we would like to do these things to. Revenge feels good, but this really is quite wrong.
They say an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. But hey, fair is fair. :smalltongue:
I think what reorith did was mean, but ya gotta admit, that guy was pretty stupid to leave his information on a shared computer like that. Most places suggest that you don't click "remember me" if you're on a shared computer. :smalltongue:

A lot of my friends have had their MySpaces hacked and all of their friends were deleted because they gave one of their friends that they ended up getting in a fight with their passwords.
Luckily, I'm not stupid enough to tick off friends that have my passwords for stuff. :smallwink:

Flickerdart
2008-06-22, 09:40 PM
Dark Side Points gained.

Solo
2008-06-22, 09:57 PM
yes. yes it is.

Commonplace

Volug
2008-06-22, 10:40 PM
Dark Side Points gained.

I Just got done playing KotOR....

On Topic: The game, which I hacked to give me uber powers and items =D

Nebo_
2008-06-22, 11:37 PM

You disgust me.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-06-23, 01:38 PM

Ah, but you had it easy. Some of us have to work for our mayhem.

Spiryt
2008-06-23, 01:46 PM
You disgust me.

Expanding this - I indeed must say that this is not very okay way to fight someone.

Although they say that the end justifies the means...

Hoplite
2008-06-23, 03:21 PM
However you look at it, he did win the thread with that comment.

thubby
2008-06-24, 12:48 AM
Although they say that the end justifies the means...

he essentially ruined the guys life for the vague reason of not liking him. he hurt bystanders (GF plus the dude's mother) knowingly and maliciously. he broke a few laws in the process.
nothing good came of it either. what end is there to justify the means?

Amotis
2008-06-24, 01:03 AM
GITP: Internet Crybabies. :smalltongue:

Ruined his life? Come on, he taught him a valuable lesson in public computers and multiple passwords.

Gaelbert
2008-06-24, 01:05 AM
Honestly, it seems to me that everything reorith did could be easily reversed. Call the girlfriend, tell her he was hacked. The forwarding spam to the mom doesn't even seem like it should be a big deal. I know with my friends, if someone says something really big and important or embarassing over the internet that hasn't been corroborated by real life sources, we automatically assume that the person has been hacked. Big deal.

Edit: Yeah. Pretty much what Amotis just said.

Nebo_
2008-06-24, 01:22 AM
Are you kidding? Just because the noticeable damage can be eventually undone, doesn't mean the experience isn't humiliating and degrading. It takes a low down coward to do something like that, no matter if he made the mistake of leaving his password on a public computer or not. It's a horrible thing to do to someone and that's all there is to it.

poleboy
2008-06-24, 01:22 AM
reorith: Fair enough. I guess you had your reasons. Just one problem. Anyone who claims that the site beginning with a g and ending with an e exists must be swiftly put down. I'm truly sorry about this.

*ties reorith to a chair and stars pouring gasoline over him*

BRC
2008-06-24, 01:23 AM
this one time, a guy i didn't like saved his email address and password on a computer in the public lounge. not only that but, he had saved them in the fields on the facebook login page. so being the philip k. that i am, i tried the password for the email and got in. i forwarded all his spam to his mom, changed a bunch of his passwords to other sites and then i went onto his facebook. i changed his status, broke up with his girl friend and made {scrubbed} his default picture and tagged his gf in it. truly, that was a great day.

Okay, you have just earned yourself five minutes of hate from me, followed by a hippy ninja death squad when you least expect it. He was stupid, but the proper way to deal with that would be to get onto his email, save a draft email saying "Hey idiot, you should be more careful with your internet passwords", then if you are feeling mean say "I had some fun changing stuff". Then go and get the passwords and stuff off that computer. The end result of this is
A) You don't feel/are not a horrible person
And
B) You get to have some fun as he runs around trying to figure out what you changed. Now you didn't actually change anything, but he dosn't know that. It's like that episode of M*A*S*H*.

Pandaren
2008-06-24, 01:33 AM
As mentioned above, why do people feel the need to give friends passwords to personal sights? Is it an impulse? Or do they just think it'll help form a trust-bond type thing?

It's also not very bright to brag about criminal offenses.

thubby
2008-06-24, 01:34 AM
GITP: Internet Crybabies. :smalltongue:

Ruined his life? Come on, he taught him a valuable lesson in public computers and multiple passwords.

we could all learn a valuable lesson by having our identities stolen and losing thousands, but there's a reason we don't do that.
the point really isn't how extreme the action was. the point is it was not his place to do it (we have rules about this stuff for a reason), he still disrupted the lives of innocent bystanders for his revenge.
and i reiterate that we don't know what this person did.

to put it another way, you would object if someone stole your car for a day, even if they brought it back in the same condition. "it's just a car" "but it taught you about car security"
come on, would you buy that?

Jayngfet
2008-06-24, 01:37 AM
this one time, a guy i didn't like saved his email address and password on a computer in the public lounge. not only that but, he had saved them in the fields on the facebook login page. so being the philip k. that i am, i tried the password for the email and got in. i forwarded all his spam to his mom, changed a bunch of his passwords to other sites and then i went onto his facebook. i changed his status, broke up with his girl friend and made {scrubbed}his default picture and tagged his gf in it. truly, that was a great day.

Well done, this is why I never save passwords, I copy and paste lengthy things.

Personally ever since my runescape account got hacked I changed all my paswords and got a new email address to be safe.

Phae Nymna
2008-06-24, 01:46 AM
Eheheh... Ehehehahaha... HEHEHAHEHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

*Ahem*

I've never been hacked (yet), but I have hacked someone I know two to three times on Runescape. :smallamused: Human misfortune is so fun. Anyway, if you're wondering, Schadenfreude is one of my more Machiavellian traits.

Well, huh... I guess THAT says a lot about me...