PDA

View Full Version : Evangelism, Outsiders take over the world.

Pages : [1] 2

Greyen
2008-06-23, 12:58 AM
This is the IC Thread for http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83137

Players: Paragon Badger
Whiteknight777
Lochar
Incendius
Frosty

Greyen
2008-06-23, 12:59 AM
You all have served in Trual's service for a few years now. Serving him by spreading his influence, crushing his enemies, recruiting new servants and whatever else has been assigned for you. Your loyalty was tested and after you were tested you bathed in the Pools of Rebirth. The pools remade you, your mind was searched by the powers and you have been made strong. From the lowliest body comes some of the most powerful of creatures. From the vile, the most holy, and likewise. Yet all who know his service do not regret their choices nor are they questioning their faith in him.

All of you have seen him at work in his gardens or in meetings or even in passing. He rarely holds the same form for more than a week or a moment. His aura is what lets you know it is him. The power of a diety is uncomparable to anything else. There is no animosity in his punishments, only the thought to teach a lesson. Each failure is rewarded with appropriate punishment, if you lose a battle you will serve the master of arms for a year (sometimes as his practice dummy), and so on. His rewards for sucess are praise, power, the servitude of another, granting you an "excess" (for those with restained darker tastes, generally as punishment to another also), or in times of great reward; access to the Pools of Rebirth.

You rise from the steaming brilliant golden syrup that is the last of the three pools. The first a painfilled dark green boiling morass boils away the material that holds your true spirit. You scalded away your old form and floated, a mere whispy shadow of your self, only to decend into the second pool. The second a turbulant cyan pool of warm but thick pure planar essense, here the essense cooled your pain, soothed the burning sensation. It collected, unformed around you. You moved on to the next pool, power growing inside you at the interaction of the essense and your spirit. PLunging into the deep syrup of the final pool yoou felt the essense harden, congeal and then begin to slough off of you as you sank into the deeps. As the waste sloughs off you begin to rise slowly, knowledge of yourself and your true form fills you. As you face breaks the surface of the pools you can see in the dimness only the lowerlegs of the Keeper. The one of the three "Aspects" of Trual that are kept on the domain. He lowers his hand and assists you out of the pool. Silently he hands you a dry skin of a lamb for you to wipe away the waters and last bits of cast off essense. Motionless he waits, until you are finished. With a way of his changing hand, an opening in the wall irises. A chamber to rest yourself awaits.

After you rest and examine yourself you know few new things. Trual is your lord and master. You are now bound to his domain, you will return here upon your destruction on another plane. He has marked you and remade you, a small (1" round) raised circular spiderweb design is somewhere on your body, his infamous stamp that others in his service have spoken of. The mark of his true servants. And finally you are reborn, more powerful than any demon of your previous caste, stronger, and full of the potential to grow, unlike many immortals.

You rest, maybe even dream. You wake to the sound of thwall irising open, on the other side of the chamber the wall skims away revealing a large chamber. The stone walls a re fancifully decorated in scenes from the prime material. Farmers, temples, war, mountains, fish, many of the common scenes of life. In the middle of the room is a small altar upon which stands a large clear bluish gem, cut with an untold number of faces. Behind it stands a large red skinned masculine demon, a pit-fiend gone angelic. His is beautiful and horrific at the same time. As you step into the chamber you see others stepping out of similar nooks as you are stepping out of.

The dim light that suffuses every place within Trual's domain palls as fiery letters begin to write themselves above the gem in front of the demon/angel-thing. Congratulations, on being rewarded for service. You are now truly one of his. You all have been chosen for a great task. Each of you will have a role to play in the coming events. I suggest you get to know each other, and get beyond your old natural differences, as they are gone now. You will go the the prime material, to a world known a Clanth. Trual is unkown there. There you will spread the word of him, and bring him believers.

There are three primary goals for you.
1. An Icon of Trual, needs to be made by the mortals on the world.
2. Find any rouge immortals and bring them to Trual as believers, or remove them from the world.
3. Bring down the forces that govern the world so that Trual's Way can be openly accepted. Bring down the forces of law, of chaos, of righteousness, and of hatred. There is no room for zealots on his path.

[ooc-introduce yourselves.]

Lochar
2008-06-23, 02:25 PM
Waetir (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=60668)

Waetir looks to be a humanoid of modest height, although his skin and body are different shades of blue, with his skin seeming to be only a thin membrane. Short hair, blue almost to the point of black is cropped and ends before touching the nape of his neck, sticks up and is slightly wild, a sight that is matched by the slight glint in his eyes, that of an almost mad look in his eyes, one that is easily held in check here, among his Lord and the others of his faith. Long wings flow from his back. Literally flow, as water can be seen flowing through the see-through skin, there are no bones, although they hold their form. Here in Trual's domain, Waetir feels no need to use the inherient invibility he has been granted, and stays visible, even though he knows most of his companions can most likely see him either way. It was a courtesy thing, for them.

The spiderweb symbol of Trual is emblazoned on his right palm, the symbol of his loyalty. Waetir's open hand extends Trual's salvation, and the closed fist is Trual's force.

Waetir looks to the others. "I greet you in Lord Trual's name. May his guiding force be known throughout the whole of creation. I am known as Waetir."

WhiteKnight777
2008-06-23, 02:40 PM
Zariel

Stepping into the room, garbed only in a short kilt of black silk that hung from a simple belt of silver. He turned his head, his eyes -silver, for the moment- taking in each of his new companions in turn even as he nodded to acknowledge he understood the instructions. He stretched his long, lithe limbs luxuriantly, smiling. His skin was flawless, his proportions perfect, like a statue given life and motion and vivacious vitality. He smiled a smile like the sin of angels, displaying perfectly white, even teeth, and spoke in a melodious, honeyed baritone.

And I greet you in the name of our inestimable Lord Trual, eternal may his dominion be. I am called Zariel

He paused for a moment, stretching his vast, black-feathered wings before he continued

And since we are to be working with one another on this grand endeavor, I will speak plainly - I am a corrupter and a seducer. My talents lie in the silver tongue and the honeyed word, the knife in the dark and whisper in the ear. The best place for me is in the shadows behind the thrones of the mighty, turning them or replacing them as necessary.

Lochar
2008-06-23, 02:48 PM
Waetir

"I am the cold destruction of those who do not follow our Lord. I strike without being seen against his enemies. Those who follow our Lord I help on the battlefield against common foes. Before our Lord, I was a healer, and I may in time try those abilities on once more, but not now."

Incendius
2008-06-23, 03:02 PM
Excilath

A towering individual steps into the room, one of a height that dwarves the prior two individuals. The individual's body is colored a pale gray, almost the color of dead skin. Under each portion of this skin are masses of knotted muscle; no inch of fat can be seen on this body, and there is little question to how massively strong this individual is. A sparse mane of black hair graces the head of this individual, who's skin is otherwise smooth and unbroken. Both the mouth and eyes of this individual glow with an unearthly green light that is almost sickening, yet also entrancing, to look at.

Crossing his arms, the individual spoke with a rumble that seems to resonate throughout the other's bodies. I greet you in Lord Trual's name, may he be the nation breaker, nation maker. I am Excilath, and my power is as it appears. I am one of the strongest beings in creation, and just as hard to take down. I may serve as an army breaker, a commander, or even a threat to rally others to your thrall.

Frosty
2008-06-23, 06:10 PM
Celeste Guerrier

A figure draped in a thin flimsy robe glides into the room, with long golden hair flowing behind. Quietly the figure lands before the angelic demon, and curtseys. As she turns around to walk back a respectable distance, it is plain that the flowing robes do not hide her tanned skin very well. Her arms are athletic and tone, unlike the pale gray hulk of a thing nearby. The bright green glow of her eyes fades away as she looks at each of her new comrades in turn. She silently smirks, smug with the fact that her physical perfection is not only a fashion statement, but also an armor of faith, since it is her belief that Trual would not give her this form without it being useful and durable in its own way.

Celeste looks like an elf with long, shapely legs, and a large, perky bust. The soft clicking of her heeled boots fades away as she stops and introduces herself. "My current name is Celeste Guerrier. I have always been, and always will be, a part of Trual's will, even if sometime in the past I did not know it. Right now, I am one of our Master's celestial warriors, and I will stop at nothing to fulfill his every order. My speciality is not necessarily corruption, although I know how to do that quite well. Rather, I build trust between us and others...by mundane means or otherwise." Blue arcs of electricity sparkle around her momentarily, clearly a showoff of magical energy.

At this time, she performs a stretch, raising her arms above her head, causing her figure and chest to move in interesting ways, and the word "supple" to come to mind to some that may be watching. "Our task should be a simple one considering our nature and the nature of those we're trying to convert. Introducing a cult is something I've had experience with, and this is even easier due to the fact that the deity we are introducing is not a lie. I've many ideas on how to go about establishing a presence, but I shall wait for more details to be revealed."

WhiteKnight777
2008-06-23, 06:27 PM
Zariel

Zariel nodded at Celeste's suggestion, casually eyeing her lithe form with approval. I agree, starting a religious organization is an excellent vector... I also find that turning existing power structures to our side through careful persuasion is an excellent method to use. It might be best to operate on multiple fronts so as to maximize our efficacy. But as you say, best to wait until we have more intelligence before we make any definite plans.

Although as for simple... I am unsure. If it were that easy, I'm sure it would have been done before... and our Lord would not have allotted so many accomplished individuals to the task. In my experience, there are always complications.

Lochar
2008-06-23, 06:46 PM
Waetir

"A religious sect, with the backing of powerful creatures from beyond their prime. I do not think it would behoove us to have power as to preach healing, unless we have abilities I am not aware of. A more martial bent, one that promises victor's spoils to the faithful. The mortals always wish for riches and power beyond their own."

Frosty
2008-06-23, 06:55 PM
Celeste Guerrier

The appreciative looks do not go un-noticed by Celeste. "We need not promise powers of healing from ourselves. We can promise that the powers of healing will come to themselves naturally if they believe, which should be true enough if we can cultivate clerics of our Master from the populace. Besides, in my experience, tempting with spoils and and power beyond their ability to handle responsibly is a recipe to collapse the civilization, instead of a recipe to bolster it with our Master's teachings. We should lead by example...mostly" she says with a twinkle in her eye.

Incendius
2008-06-23, 06:55 PM
Excalith

If we should establish a following, it should not be in an advanced nation. Such usually are too arrogant and set in their ways to embrace change. In the same way, a barbaric culture would not be suitable, for in addition they have their worships that are more integral to them then the civilized. Rather we should look towards a downtrodden nation and offer them a chance to rise up. Give them the truth, for if they side with us then our great power will be helping them. As they grow stronger, Trual grows stronger, and the resulting wars will force all nations to look upon themselves and adapt.

Lochar
2008-06-23, 07:12 PM
Waetir

Motioning to the writings in the air, Waetir continues. "There is no room for those not of Trual's way. I will only give a mortal two chances to convert. Those who continually resist may change their mind after their death."

WhiteKnight777
2008-06-23, 07:20 PM
Zariel

Zariel laughed lightly, his own eyes shifting from silver to a rich, luxuriant golden hueYou can't murder everyone who doesn't believe in Trual... far too inefficient. There are far more effective and enjoyable methods to convert them than the quick death of the sword. Of course, they require a deal of time and some specialized equipment... but in any case, such plans will have to wait until after we have established a power base.

And established kingdoms can be changed rather easily, provided it is done subtly and correctly. Power leads to decadent, and the decadent are ever easy to corrupt... offer them a few unknown pleasures or some paltry relief from their jaded existence and they are putty in your hand. Although I do agree that the poor and desperate also make excellent tools. It's all in your approach, really. And, as I mentioned, we can always use multiple methods.

Incendius
2008-06-23, 07:25 PM
Excilath

A slight rumble, conceivably a laugh came up in Excilath's throat. No need to be so hasty friend, we are immortals after all. Regardless, even with a force such as us, there would be endless opposition. It is one thing to establish a base of power upon the world for Trual, it is another to dethrone other gods and attempt to slaughter nations as our first task. While I would not be afraid of divine wrath or the collective mortal might, I do not doubt we would fail unless Trual devoted an inordinate amount of resources.

While such is of course our end goal, it should be plotted methodically, and enacted over as much time as is required. Haste and slaughter, while pleasing, is in the end, self defeating. Let us establish a base of power such that at first we are ignored, and then when we are noticed we are too powerful to wipe out, and then finally we are powerful enough to turn the tide against any god or mortal that shall interfere.

Lochar
2008-06-23, 07:25 PM
Waetir

"Then I will leave that to you, once that powerbase is established. But until it is, my way leaves behind no backstabbing enemies."

Frosty
2008-06-23, 07:40 PM
Celeste guerrier

The elf-like being's eyes are now a relatively normal shade of emerald instead of the entire eye glowing green. She holds her palms out to signal for everyone to sit back and relax a bit. "While I am not above going as far as causing a bit of trouble so we can then ride into town and solve the problem, so to speak, I really do see our roles as missionaries. We are tasked with bringing truth of Trual to those people so that *they* may benefit from it. And when people benefit from believing in Trual, they will do the work of spreading the word FOR us. Hurting the people we are trying to convert should be the last thing on our minds. That said, we have room for a bit of fun if there are troublemakers, but we should all keep in mind we are there to save the people from their ignorance. We are not there to primarily exploit them."

WhiteKnight777
2008-06-23, 07:48 PM
Zariel

Once again, the diabolically beautiful creature nodded, giving Celeste a wide, wicked smile A very good point... we should focus on turning these people to our point of view, not destroy them. However, certain key personages - particularly monarchs and high priests - will likely require either a great deal of deception or outright removal, given how much they have invested in the status quo

Lochar
2008-06-23, 07:50 PM
Waetir

The water elemental looks at Zariel. "We are to bring down the forces of law, there are no room for zealots in Lord Trual's world. Monarches and such are the epitome of that law."

Frosty
2008-06-23, 09:45 PM
Celeste Guerrier

Celeste returns Zariel's wide smile with a knowing one of her own. "Priests and monarchs are people too. They to can be turned. In fact, if we can turn the monarch, the rest of the job becomes so much easier because then we'll have the nearly unquestioned support of the existing infrastructure and social structrure. Those priests that are not corrupt worhsip the deities they choose to worship because they genuinely believe that the teachings of their deity is a good way to live and is good for their flock. If we can genuinely show them that living according to Trual's tenets will make the lives of them and their flock better, *and* is spiritually satisfying, there is a good chance we can convert even them. But, if they can't be turned normally, there'll be plenty of opportunities to use...magical means to get their support."

WhiteKnight777
2008-06-23, 09:57 PM
Zariel

Zariel smiled ruefully and nodded once more. Very true, though I don't like to rely on magical methods of persuasion, at least not for a long term plan or for highly important targets... too many ways for it to go wrong. A genuine conversion, or at least a working relationship is always a superior option, as you already mentioned. . However, if they can't be converted, there are numerous options.

He rubs his hands together and chuckles softly. I must confess, I'm eager to get to work. It's been too long since I've put my hand to business.

Lochar
2008-06-23, 10:04 PM
Waetir

"Diplomacy never worked for me, before Lord Trual rescued me. It always failed, leaving me to fend for myself, hiding from bindings placed on me, or bargaining off what little ability I did for some bare hiding spot for a night, before I was turned upon anyways." The water that flows through Waetir's body speeds up as he speaks, his agitation showing. "If we wish to take a monarchy, we will have to remove a monarch's current advisors if we wish to replace them, much less not have them putting up blocks to Lord Trual's requirements."

Waetir turns to the flaming words and the demon/angel creature. "Where are we to be sent on this world, if I may be so bold as to ask? My companions for this may have the ability to teleport themselves massive distances, but not I."

Greyen
2008-06-23, 10:51 PM
The large red skinned immortal watches the interplay silently. When Waetir asks him a question the wording from before fades away and is replaced by The world is most average in every way. There are large and small kingdoms, deserts, mountains, plains, and oceasn. You will begin in a beleaguered state bordered by three major rivers, and 2 larger nations. This has been determined to be the most open to influence of all sorts. With a wave of his hand, another doorway opens into the Pools. Through the doorway you can see the Keeper look up and nod.

The Keepers changing form solidify's for a moment before it stretches a draconic arm out over the golden pool. A jet of water shoots up and holds position under his hand. It twists into a long shard of crystal and hardens. The Keeper grasps the crystal and walks over to the dark pool. Again he hold his hand over the pool. IN the bubbling depths rises the form of a small homnunculos which shivers its way out of the pool. Striking swiftly the Keeper plunges the crystal into its head. It shudders and the golden glow suffusesit for a moment. The ever silent Keeper points to the red one and the homonunculus scampers to him.

It looks odd as the now ashen skinned small humanoid thing moves about with no cares, except for the shard of crystal sticking out of its head. The red writing appears over its mishapen head. This crystal will travel with you and be the basis for the Icon.

WhiteKnight777
2008-06-23, 11:14 PM
Zariel

Zariel watched the process curiously as the keeper of the pools forged the homonculus that would be the basis for Trual's idol in this new world.Wondrous... does this mean we are ready? if so, perhaps it is best we get underway... we have a great deal to do, and the swifter we act, the easier our task shall be.

Paragon Badger
2008-06-24, 12:30 AM
"Haste shall beget only thy quickened destruction, devil." Came the sudden words of a being previously silent throughout the entire discussion, her telepathic words echoing to all within. Her unearthly voice was soft and melodic, yet it was flat and full of stern condemnation for Zariel. This would be a tone the others would soon grow accustomed to...

"Mortals die and their knowledge of us shall fade unto obscurity, yet our machinations will be felt by their brood. A mortal epoch is but one breath to the undying, and this one," She continued, referring to herself in the third person ", would desire our Master's goals realized unerringly."

"Such an infernal lust for corruption shall consume thy better judgement, Zariel." The celestial said as her fair face indicated a bit of disdain. Though she was beautiful by human standards, the contortion of her face and harsh disposition did a bit to dull the effect. Wearing nothing but her natural form, the angel put a hand on the pale golden flesh of her hip and stared coldly at the devil. The tips of the celestial's ashen hair descended to her back and meshed in with the feathery wings sprouting lazily from her shoulderblades. "Thy name is ill-fitting. Not nigh as much as what that one fathoms herself to be, however." She said as her golden eyes turned to Celeste, "A Celestial Warrior."

"...But if our Master envisions worth in such lowly subjects; then this one is not to cast her doubts upon His ways." She admitted matter-of-factly. "If thou must speak to or of this one, then do so by the name of Sophiel."

WhiteKnight777
2008-06-24, 01:48 AM
Zariel

Zariel turned to the creature that called itself Sophiel, smiling sardonically and giving her a bow at the waist. A chuckle spilled from his lips as he looked her up and down slowly, letting his gaze linger in ways that he knew would draw the celestial's irritation.

Ah... come now, angel, there's no need for that tone. We are on the same side here. I merely seek to fulfill our master's desire in the most efficient way possible. If honest conversion is an option, so much the better... it's just that mortal hearts and minds seem to respond so very well to what is commonly known as corruption. Vice takes hold more quickly than so-called virtue... at least in my experience

He ruffled his wings a bit, his smile widening a fraction As for my name... it was given to me by my previous master, and I've kept it as a reminder of how much better the one I follow now is. Still, for all his faults, Asmodeus does have a sense of humor, doesn't he? That was the only time he ever really took an interest, was my descent and my first rebirth... The reasons behind my naming are too complex to go into the moment, but suffice to say, it was yet another twist of the knife at his former fellows. Ironic, yes, that he used to be among the Celestial host? One of the greatest. It's a fascinating story, the Fall... so many versions... and a very pointed reminder.

He laughed again, still eyeing the celestial, and then he winked. In any case, I'm glad you can put aside your natural animosity. I promise not to dine on infants or terrorize any orphans, if it makes you feel better.

Frosty
2008-06-24, 02:18 AM
Celeste Guerrier

Celeste gives a quick nod to the celestial, her face showing nothing but professional respect. "Our charismatic friend here is correct. Corruption should be our last resort, for it leads to needless destruction. Why should we corrupt what we intend to own? Afterwards we'll just have to clean the mess up. It would behoove us to proceed with this mission as if we were a diplomatic envoy...albeit one with much power to showcase our problem-solving skills should the populace require a demonstration of Trual's embrace."

<ooc> I gotta go to bed. Will finish this in the morning </ooc>

Incendius
2008-06-24, 02:19 AM
Excilath

Hah, I would never have guessed, but I must say I, in part, agree with the celestial. Most of you do not have the perspective that I do of the world, of the lesser people, of those that serve rather then rule. Before my rebirth, I was a mere foot soldier. Only the unusual quality of having an individual intellect marked my apart from my peers. Have you ever heard the saying? "It's better to be one of the grunts in the field. It might not give you the 'bigger picture', but it gives you a much truer one." Seeking to corrupt the heads of the worlds governments is one thing, and will help to prevent police action against us, however it probably will not give us as great an inroad into Trual's goals as one might think. To gain a person's faith is different from gaining a person's fealty, and such is what we must do.

However, again, good works and healing will only go so far. We must prove that we are able and willing to back Trual's word, that we seek to be a force of moderation and of benefit to the world that all the other gods are too mired in hubris to provide. We must not give into our baser impulses, and while I know I'm not one to talk, these would ruin us before we began. Working together, celestials and infernal united in raising the world up to a better place, will also go far towards this goal, however we ascertain it must be done.

As his speech rumbled off to a halt Excilath smiled, a truly jarring sight. If I may suggest, given the rest of our natures, it might be in our best interests to place Sophiel in a position of authority within our ranks. Not so much our commanding officer, but one able to veto our plans and reign us in. Personally, I know that such will be welcome, for as much as I wish to serve Trual to all my capacity and enact his dream, I am a creature of my nature. Whereas Sophiel, whom I presume is a celestial warrior, is familiar with the neccesities of battle and the other acts we must do to achieve our goals, but it is within her nature to temper her acts to only what is needed, rather then what is desired.

Greyen
2008-06-24, 07:25 AM
The Red One holds his hand over the the crystal which begins to float above its pedastal. It spins gently the Red One says in a deep resonant voice "Clanth" A single facet lights up, he touches his clawed finertip to the facet. A glowing portal irises out of the air, on the other side you see a dirt crossroads in a wooded area. The writing appears again in front of the Red One This is your destination. If you have any questions ask them now. The portal will remain open for an hour.

The homonunculus jerkily knuckles its way over to stand in the middle of the group, seeming to await orders from someone.

Lochar
2008-06-24, 07:39 AM
Waetir

"I know I do not have the ability to lead, not as of now. I will follow." Waetir says to the others, before addressing the Red One. "Is the crystal carryable without the homonculus?"

Greyen
2008-06-24, 07:51 AM
The body is necessary to maintain the integrity of the crystal. The crystal houses a tiny mote of Trual's essense, it needs a life force to sustain it until it is bound by mortals into a solid form, the Icon. You will need at least one hundred willing mortal souls to give themselves to Trual.

The ceremony and makings of the Icon are up to you and the populace. If it is somber, or frenzied, joyous or dark, it matters not to Trual. Do not allow the life of a mortal to be sacrificed to him, you all know that this is abhorrent to him. Once the Icon is in place, Trual's power will have a gateway to Clanth. True clerics can then be granted power there, until then you are the only powers of Trual on the world.

Lochar
2008-06-24, 07:55 AM
Waetir

"I understand. My existence goes before the homonculus."

Waetir moves to the homonculus, before standing at it and picking it up. Waetir's body vanishes, water seeming to splash out of his body covering the creature as both disappear. Waetir's voice echoes from where he stood. "I will hold onto it."

Frosty
2008-06-24, 09:52 AM
Celeste Guerrier

The voluptuous elf-woman with the tanned skin gives off a quick, "Heh." as she turns to address every one of her comrades in a clear voice. "Whether we realize it or not, we are ALL Trual's celestial warriors. He has chosen us to be so, and we have chosen, of our own free will, to accept his leadership. As we trust our Master, so shall we trust ourselves as He puts his faith...figuratively and not-so-figuratively speaking...in us. We can afford little self-doubt if we are to convince the doubters in Clanth."

Then, turning to address Sophiel specifically, she continues, "What are names but a form of identification? Names can be, at times, both ill-fitting and perfectly-fitting simultaneously. As an indication of the truth, names are often ill-fitting because the individual is more than capable of lying to itself. However, as an expression of what the individual feels *should* be the truth, a name can almost never be ill-fitting. True names...not pseudonyms...tell us much about the bearer of the name. As for me, I'm just a bit more comfortable of exactly what I am right now"

Finally, she turns to the oldest aspect of Trual, the pit-fiend. "Can you tell us anything more about this world? Its customs, cultures, political-social structures, and major religious powers? If we can do some homework before-hand, our task can be completed quicker. I not, we will ready ourselves to depart."

Paragon Badger
2008-06-24, 10:05 AM
As Sophiel felt Zariel's gaze upon her, a feathery wing arched around her side and draped itself over her form. If the angel's golden eyes were any indication, she was not amused.

Her scowl was soon supplanted by a slight recoil as Waetir went invisible. Sophiel turned her head to the side in curiosity, then she gave will to her celestial powers; a sight that penetrated all forms of illusion.

Sophiel had felt relieved that the little beast was in the water elemental's hands, for Waetir seemed to be well-qualified for the task.

With little else to say, the Celestial turned her focus to the pit-fiend, awaiting its response to Celeste's inquiries.

Greyen
2008-06-24, 10:19 AM
The established pantheon is those that are of the realms of the many. Pelor, Heironeos, Nerull, Vecna all hold sway as do their peers. There are few minor dieties that have yet to reach beyond their own world. If you interact with them have caution, their power is beyond anything Trual can compete with, for now.

The customs are as such as the humasn and other mortal races have everywhere on the prime. The technology has not advanced beyond knights in fanciful plate, trebuchet, and the longbow. Gun powder, steam, and such is barely an experiment with the gnomes and dwarves. The nation that you will be placed in is a weakening monarchy, troubled with in-breeding and outside forces playing the throne for its strategic position. It controls the rivers, the primary roads for the three nations. All trade flows through its ports. It was once powerful, now it is a paper tiger, unbeknownst to the outside nations. This much has been determined by the spiders but not too much more. The area is ripe for change and upheaval.

Paragon Badger
2008-06-24, 10:29 AM
"Then let us go forth and discern the mortal realm ourselves." Sophiel said as she closed her eyes, focusing her energies on the crystal and offering her spirit to the crystal so that it may have ease in transporting her to the small kingdom.

Concentration: [roll0] Just guessing both parties have to willing and nearby so we won't have to poke at Waetir to touch the little guy. :smallwink:

Edit: Wait, There's two crystals. :smalltongue:

WhiteKnight777
2008-06-24, 10:31 AM
Zariel

Zariel smiled softly at the comments of the others, holding up his hand as if in surrender. I apologize... you are correct when you say that corruption is wasteful. I can only say that the habits of the millenia are hard to overcome, even after the Pools... they linger on like old ghosts, I'm afraid. You have my word that I will do no harm unless there is no other option, and I will restrain my impulses towards corruption and the sowing of sin, for that is what our Lord wills.

He sighed a bit, his smile becoming slightly sad There are still many changes I must make to my outlook before I am truly of one mind with our Lord, I am afraid... still, it is a path well worth walking.

He shook his head, as if to clear away the maudlin ruminations. In any case, this nation sounds ripe for conversion... the people there are no doubt starved for something that can revive their flagging power and restore them to their former glory... and Lord Trual can be the force that turns the tide of entropy. If you are ready, I am prepared.

With that he stepped forward, preparing to enter the portal, changing his body to a very similar form, but without the telltale wings.

Incendius
2008-06-24, 11:26 AM
Excilath

My presence shall perhaps be the greatest obstacle in our quest, for I am the least likely to be accepted. However, let us deal with that when we enter the world. If at worse I shall go to the more savage frontier while the subtle deeds are done. Excilath rumbled as he stepped forwards toward the portal.

Frosty
2008-06-24, 11:49 AM
Celeste Guerrier

"Oh, before we go...how would we go about getting back from this Prime? In our current forms I certainly can't hop amongst the planes as of yet. Should we just pray for transport if need be?" Celeste asks the Pit Fiend as she steps forward to the portal.

She giggles a bit at Sophiel's reaction to Zariel and chides gently "Come, Zariel. One shouldn't cause such discomfort to such a pure being like Lady Sophiel. I'm sure there are other places your eyes can wander off to. Speaking of wandering eyes..." Celeste shrugs off her robe and offers it to Sophiel. "You might want this until Zariel learns to not stare at you anymore. And it's big enough to maybe hide your wings if you can't make your wings disappear."

Greyen
2008-06-24, 12:05 PM
The previous words fade and new ones spring up again before him. Death, you will reform here in a few days. We can easily send you back to the crossroads.

Lochar
2008-06-24, 12:12 PM
Waetir

Silent, Waetir waits until several of the others have entered the portal before he too enters, carrying the little creature that was their first goal.

Greyen
2008-06-24, 12:24 PM
{If you have more questions for Big Red, OOC them}

As you all begin to step through the portal a very complex feeling of speed and the strange ripple of moving between the planes strikes you. You realize that this world must be far from the domain. Time in transit seems like a mere second stretched over an hour.

You step out into the center of a cross roads. The forest is old, the trees covered in lichen and moss. The air is humid and you can smell the life in the forest, molds, pollen, animal musks, and a profusion of plant life. No wind or breeze passes through the thinkness of the forest. High overhead you can see the lines cut by the road in the sky, it is a blue sky with the sun of this world high in the sky. Deep wide wagon ruts run at almost a 90degree angle to each other. Creating almost a forest tunnel as you can see the roads run off into the distance.

To one direction you can see sunlight, a brightness indicating an opening of the forest or clearing, possible the edge of the wood. To its right you can hear a possible ripple of a creak or slow moving river. The other two directions offer no clues to their destinations.

After a moment of you gaining your bearings you can hear the birds begin to chirp and the normal forest noise returns to fill a silence you had not noticed before.

Lochar
2008-06-24, 12:30 PM
Waetir

Stepping through, Waetir, still invisible, immediately ducks and hides beneath the massive frame of Excilath, his eyes tracking everything in the area as he holds the homonculus' body tight against his body.

Paranoid.

Invisible Hide:[roll0] -20 if they can see invis
Move Silent: [roll1]
Spot: [roll2]
Listen: [roll3]

OOC: I really need to invest in Spot and Listen

--Edit
1,1,2,2? WTF!

Paragon Badger
2008-06-24, 12:41 PM
"Angels do not require modesty if they keep themselves in the company of those who lack such base lusts." Sophiel said as she waved off Celeste's gift. "If we are to walk amongst lowly mortals, it doesn't matter which one of us walks bare. I shall remedy the situation in short order."

"Until then, unless that one find himself distracted- It matters not where eyes wander." She said of Zariel.

Soon after, the group was teleported to (presumebly) Clanth. Without saying a word, Sophiel's head mechanically tilted up, towards the sky. "I shall see what environs." She said shortly before taking flight, her angelic wings pounding air against the ground as she searched for a gap in the forest to clear its canopy.

Rising thirty feet in the air, Sophiel remained there, beating her wings in place to maintain a steady altitude. The Angel tilted her head all around, searching for anything distinguishing.

Spot: [roll0]

Greyen
2008-06-24, 01:27 PM
Sophiel rises into the air and the birds in the forest take flight or go silent at her action. At 30 feet all that she can see is tree trunks and branches. Rising another 100 feet into the air clears the tree tops. From this vantage she can see for miles on this clear and sunny day.

The forest is huge. Easily 20 miles across. The crossroads seems to not bee to deep in the forest as you can see pasture land to the west(?). Or at least you assume pasture land with what appear to be large herd animals on the plain. To the east is mountains, where you can see the track rising and dissappearing into the foot hills. To the North is more forest and the south is a large slow moving river. The river is deep and dark blue with runoff from the mountains. To the the north, south, and west you can see smoke on the horizon, probably from settlements of some sort. To the west you can see a village, not more than 8 buildings. To the east there is only the mountains, but the track must go somewhere.

Frosty
2008-06-24, 02:28 PM
Once the planar travel stops, Celeste takes a good look around while re-robing herself. As the celestial soars upwards, Celeste thinks to Sophiel telepathically without looking up. "You sure you're all right like this? Lack of modesty is one thing, but your skin can only be so tough. Would you accept some magical protection in the form of an invisible armor of force like the one I employ on myself?"

Paragon Badger
2008-06-24, 02:45 PM
Looking around the skies as she heard Celeste’s words, the angel replied, “If it pleases thee, I am not so unwise to spurn aid.”

The celestial returned back down to the ground shortly after, relaying the information she found to her comrades. "If any, the hovels would be a suitable place to begin." she said at the end of her description.

"But it is not my choice, for it would seem that I must remain with our rather bestial ally henceforth," She nodded her head towards Excalith as she continued to speak, her preference for the third-person diminishing now that they were away from Trual’s influence, "At least until one of thee could procure for me a suitable degree of coverings." She added sarcastically, and those who were carefully watching could briefly spot a smirk stretching across her lips.

Lochar
2008-06-24, 02:49 PM
Waetir

Waetir's voice drifts from near Excalith in a whisper. "I would prefer not to take the homonculus into any mortal area with at least most of our group there. I will not lose our Lord's beginnings on this world!"

Why does Waetir with the homonculus make me feel like Wormtail with baby Voldemort?

Incendius
2008-06-24, 03:20 PM
Excalith

Perhaps we of the infernal origins should scout out the remaining lands through a combination of our teleportation and flight abilities. Meanwhile, one of our shapeshifters could inquire unto the hovel, and Waetir can protect the homunculus. If such is agreed upon, we can spend an hour doing such. I would take the mountains, if only because the chance of sightings is lesser there, and I could probably handle any of the creatures such an action might intrude upon. Excalith rumbled as he waved a hand over his body and a barely perceptible field of gray enmeshed his form.

[spoiler]Mage Armor cast on self[/color]

WhiteKnight777
2008-06-24, 03:26 PM
Zariel

Zariel just laughed at the discourse between the two females, throwing himself into the magical transport without a moment's hesitation. Upon arriving, he shifted and stretched, breathing deep and taking in his surroundings with a keen eye. He turned his head, giving Celeste and Sophiel patient looks.

Neither of you have any need to worry. I can control my eyes and my emotions both. My only motivation was to irk you, my angelic friend, as your rebuke irked me. A moment of childishness, I suppose, and for that I apologize.

He paused and chuckled softly at her wordsOh, I don't know... I fancy you might attract quite a crowd of admirers. Unfortunately they probably wouldn't focus on our message should it be presented to them thus. Perhaps Celeste and myself can travel to the nearest settlement and procure some clothing for all of us, as well as pick up any local news of note, see if there's a way to get our efforts off the ground, so to speak.

Frosty
2008-06-24, 03:32 PM
Celeste Guerrier

Celeste runs a hand through her long, silky strands of golden hair as she considers her next course of action. "We should start asking around about the local geography. Once we know where things are and what is the center of power in these parts, we can further devise plans." Looking at Sophiel's lovely form, she places her left hand on Sophiel's sternum while chanting some magic words of power. An invisible field of force identical to one surrounding Celeste surrounds Sophiel's form without restricting any movement. Celeste inquires once more, "Are you sure you won't take my robe? I have some innate ability to disuise my appearance, and clothing as part of that disguise is not hard at all."

Paragon Badger
2008-06-24, 03:56 PM
Sophiel closed her eyes as she replied to Celeste, "Very well. If thou must insist, though I am hesitant to envisage all the base deeds done in… or on such airy garments." She added with a playfully malicious smirk to the succubus. “Thy sort carries with it somewhat of a reputation, if I recall.”

“My kind are emissaries to all goodly beings, but I cannot duplicate such passing material things.” She admitted as her wings grew faint and faded away. Her luminescent skin turned more natural and the angel more closely resembled a regular human in form. “Regardless, I shall stay with Waetir if the elemental is so fearful of his little one’s safety.” She said, shrugging her shoulders.

Lochar
2008-06-24, 04:01 PM
Waetir

"Not fearful, but cautious. It only has the barest link to living energy which is the homunculus. Once it recieves prayers, I assume it will be strengthened. But until it is strong enough to not lose almost accidentally, I will take no chances with it."

Frosty
2008-06-24, 04:45 PM
Celeste Guerrier

Shrugging off her robe for the second time in as many minutes, the nude (except for knee-high boots) demon hands over the robe. "It is true that I was a succubus, but nowadays any such activaties are for pleasure, whereas when I was a succubus is was all work. Much more liberating actually." She gives a playful wink. "Oh, and the only smell you may have to worry about is the smell of Trual on those robes."

Then, closing her eyes for a moment, she visualizes the new look she wants, and in a few seconds she appears to be clothed in a short brown leather skirt, and a mottled green cloth shirt that looks tight enough to not snag on branches and loose enough to not showcase her more than generous curves. With the skirt almost meeting the top of her green heeled boots, she effectively has a camoflage suit. Of course, anyone with True Seeing can see right through the "clothing" as if they weren't there. The look screams "adventurer" and "practical." "So are you still going to wait for proper clothes Sophiel or will you come with us in that robe?"

Paragon Badger
2008-06-25, 01:07 AM
"Ah. It is relieving then, for I had deemed that only the pools of rebirth would be sufficient to remove such an odious feel.” Sophiel replied with a coy smile as she put the silky material over her shoulders and donned the robe.

“If Waetir is content to walk unseen among us amidst mortals, than I shall follow. If not, then I shall watch over the little one with these two.” The angel said as her eyebrows arched and she regarded Excalith and Waetir.

Greyen
2008-06-25, 06:00 AM
As you all stand there planning the first steps of you conquest, you all begin to hear the jingle and low rumble of an animal drawn cart coming from the path that runs toward the mountains. It is distant but sounds like a large heavy vehicle, being pulled by several animals. What is noticably missing is the sound of hooves.

Lochar
2008-06-25, 06:25 AM
Waetir

"I do not mind walking with you, invisibly." At the sound of the approaching whatever, Waetir unfurls watery wings and lifts into the air, landing on a higher treebranch, still invisible and holding the homunculus.

Incendius
2008-06-25, 06:36 AM
Excalith

Since my presence would be... troublesome, I will then scout out the lay of the land from the mountains. There I should be able to see the majority, and of any major settlements to... Excalith broke off as he heard the sound of the wagon. Letting a low annoyed rumble from his throat, Excalith immediately moved into the forest, flying as he did so so as to not disturb the undergrowth. Excalith moved far enough away from the path that only the marks of his passage would be seen with all else obscured by the many trees, but that he hopefully could still hear what was going on.

WhiteKnight777
2008-06-25, 10:05 AM
Zariel

In his human-seeming form, Zariel was not worried about his discovery, so he moved to the side of the road and seated himself on a large rock to await the approach of the cart. Perhaps he would be able to glean some information about the local area from whoever was driving it.

Frosty
2008-06-25, 10:42 AM
Celeste Guerrier

With her natural form resembling that of an elf (albeit a tall one), Celeste sees no need to hide herself unless the locals have something against elves. Depending on how far off the wagon sounds, Celeste will probably wait until the cart is closer before mumbling a few words of power and gaining the ability to Detect Thoughts. "No hooves...a flying beast of burden pulling a cart? This doesn't add up." she thinks to all of her allies within 100 ft of her. Celeste finds a comfy rock close to Zariel and sits down on it.

Thinking quickly, she also powers a quick cantrip, gaining the ability to Detect the presence of Magic, and concentrates on the direction the cart is coming from. If she discovers some large magical aura, she will try to spellcraft it, and also cast the Shield spell.

Greyen
2008-06-25, 12:11 PM
Up the road you can hear the whuffle of a large animals breath, the creaking of a cart and the whistle of a humanoid. As the cart hoves into view, the first thing you notice is the fact that the draft animals are huge lizards, looking like horse sized iguana. There are four of them and they look relatively docile.

The cart itself is a wooden box on wheels, build very stoutly. Driving the cart high in the seat is a mail armored dwarf, sitting next to him whistling is a kobold with a crossbow. Alongside the cart walk another 6 or so kobolds they do not seem to see any of you as of yet. The cart is heavy and ponderous. Painted a simple grey you can see an emblem of a silver anvil on a golden coin painted on all sides of the cart.

Frosty
2008-06-25, 12:45 PM
<ooc> I can't access my sheet right now. Can someone roll any of my relevant knowledge skills such as religion to see if I can identify the emblem?</ooc>

Celeste sees the approaching cart, and quietly activates her Tongues ability to be able to speak Dwarven and whatever Kobolds speak.

Lochar
2008-06-25, 04:32 PM
Waetir

Waetir silently waits, hidden in the trees, for the cart to pass. He would not take the lead on any attacks, nor on any diplomatic sense. He'd given up the diplomacy to the Pools. And besides, Waetir re-secured his grip on the homunculus, he would not risk the creation. Maybe once it was more empowered, but not now.

At first sign of any of the others or himself being attacked, Waetir is going to go absolutely ape-sh*t. At the moment though, Hide: [roll0]

--Edit
What is it about me and rolling 1's for skill checks? Thank god there isn't critical failure for them.

WhiteKnight777
2008-06-25, 09:05 PM
Zariel

Zariel hopped down off of the rock, smiling pleasantly. As the wagon approached, he spoke up in a conversational tone.

Good day to you. I was wondering if you had any news about the road ahead - I've been away for a time and I'm a bit behind on current events.

OOC
[roll0]
[roll1]

Greyen
2008-06-25, 10:50 PM
As soon as you are withina hundred feet the whistling trails away as teh dwarf sees you first, the one of the lead kobolds, both of which let out an odd barking noise. The Lizards slow to a halt and the running kobolds take up defensive positions with crossbows ready.

The dwarf sees you walking and readies a large crossbow Tha's far enough brigand! I've dealt with your kind enough on this road. You and your friends that are surely hiding in the trees can run along before I feed you to the Ranha's.

Zariel
Good day to you. I was wondering if you had any news about the road ahead - I've been away for a time and I'm a bit behind on current events.

Ya look decent enough, not like the brigands I've seen before. You should know better to be in these woods though. There are many nasties living in these trees. The middle aged dwarf says. You should run along now, I've got to get on to Rivergate, I've got a delivery to make. With that he lets out another clipped set of odd barks,
For those w/ tounges - Lets go, remain wary
He slaps the reins and the lizards once again begin to strain against the traces slowly the cart gathers momentum. The kobold guards rescatter to a wide ring around the cart.

Frosty
2008-06-25, 11:10 PM
<ooc> Is the cart headed in the direction of the small village up ahead with 8 buildings? </ooc>

Greyen
2008-06-26, 05:21 AM
The cart and its entourage slowly make way to the crossroads and then turn north. The kobolds are skittish but not hostile.

The lizards are great muscular bulls of reptilian meat in motion. Their padded and clawed feet literally chewing up the roads as the cart passes. Their mouthes are lines with hundreds of small sharp teeth. Being chewed by one of these scaled beasts would be unpleasent.

As the cart passes you can see several arrow slits cut into the sides and peep hole from which little reptilian eyes gleam. Slowly the cart begins to gather speed. Eventually a pace just faster than a walking human is achieved. The Kobold on the seat next to the dwarf hops up onto the top of the cart and watches you all as they move away.

-------------

If no one does anything else then the cart will pass slowly out of sight to the North.

Frosty
2008-06-26, 01:55 PM
Celeste Guerrier

Celeste quickly thinks to Zariel, "Hey, you think we could start becoming a part of the local community by going with this delivery cart? We could offer to act as guards to defend against whatever it out there."

She gets off her rock, and shouts off a quick question in Common to get them to slow down. "Wait a moment please. Could you tell us how far it is to Rivergate?"

Greyen
2008-06-26, 02:06 PM
The dwarf calls back Aye, I could. Its about four leagues to the north, or about five days by Ranha cart. But if you want to talk, I'll not bar ya from walking with us. These 'bolds not being the chattiest group of mercenaries around. The cart does not slow down, but continues onward to the north.

WhiteKnight777
2008-06-26, 09:28 PM
Zariel

Following the dwarf's suggestion, he begins to follow along with the cart, showing no signs of discomfort having to move rather quickly to keep up with the creatures.

Yes, they do seem a bit reticent. But then, a good mercenary is paid to keep an eye on the road and deal with trouble in a rather pointed fashion, not necessarily to provide conversation. Too much thinking or talking often gets in the way of the job.

Lochar
2008-06-26, 10:05 PM
Waetir

Seeing one of the others following the cart, Waetir ghosts along on silent wings, holding the homunculus tight.

Paragon Badger
2008-06-26, 11:01 PM
Sophiel's eyes follow Zariel as he moves towards the cart, and she closes them for a moment- telepathically speaking to all within the group. "It would seem a certain Rivergate is now on our itinerary. ‘Tis five days a voyage northwards, Excalith. What of your plans?”

Opening her eyes and coming back to the matter at hand, the celestial approached the cart and followed after it in line with Zariel. Narrowing her gaze, she gave will to all her celestial powers innately created to deal with mortals, detecting the auras of magic, evil, and lies. As long as they were in this world, she felt it might be best to keep wary at all times.

Greyen
2008-06-26, 11:16 PM
The cart rumbles along northward, the dwarf talking and his kobold mercenaries quietly watching.

Yes, they do seem a bit reticent. But then, a good mercenary is paid to keep an eye on the road and deal with trouble in a rather pointed fashion, not necessarily to provide conversation. Too much thinking or talking often gets in the way of the job. Yes but you need smart ones if you know you are going to be having problems. This clan of 'bolds is very honorable and I have worked with them many times. They are some of the best mercenaries available up in Dwaraun. A pair of them can be that equal a good dwarf in plate, and they cost a quarter of he price. There are few dwarves who'll work with'm. Me, I don't care if they smell or talk funny, as long as they are good to their word. Right Rrrlaf? The dwarf pats the kobold on top of the cart who fairly beems with the praise. You notice now that the one on top has a brighter green tinge to his scales than most kobolds you have seen. The scales on him seem heavier than most generic kobolds.

Paragon Badger
2008-06-27, 12:27 PM
"Honorable?" Sophiel questioned softly, but her voice grew louder as she continued, "You are expectant of problems along the path? What, if I may be emboldened to wonder, dost thou intend to deliver to Rivergate?"

Sense Motive (Hunch) [roll0]

He may ping neutral but I've got my eye on him.. :smallamused:

Greyen
2008-06-27, 12:52 PM
Cocking an eyebrow at you he says Ye don't know what the symbol on the side of the cart means? Where are you from?

Frosty
2008-06-27, 01:05 PM
Celest Guerrier

The elf-demon follows along, her "clothing" making her harder to see (not that she's trying to hide). "As good as a dwarf in plate? That's high praise. Between you and the kobolds, that's at least 4 plated dwarfs. What's so dangerous around here that you need such good protection? You mentioned brigands? They would be interested in your cargo?"

As the dwarf is shocked by Sophiel's apparent ignorance, Celeste decides to probe the dwarf's mind gently, trying to see exactly what he is thinking with regards to the symbol. And while she's at it, she'll also find out how Intelligent he is (this all done via Detect Thoughts. DC 26 Will to negate the reading of surface thoughts. Other functions have no saving throw).

Celeste also tries to sense motive to see what hunches she can feel. 1d12+20 ok the roll didn't work. next post

Frosty
2008-06-27, 01:23 PM
sense motive [roll0]

Greyen
2008-06-27, 01:25 PM
@Celeste

Detect Thoughts gets-How could these people not know about the Silver Anvil Consortium!? We trade weapons and armor everywhere. Who are these strange folk?

WhiteKnight777
2008-06-27, 02:03 PM
Zariel

Zariel continued to walk, still smiling, watching the Dwarf's reaction. After a moment, he spoke up once more A good point. You're wise and fortunate to have found such trustworthy mercenaries. My own trading experience has been riddled with encounters with bad ones. I can't count the number of times I've had some cretinous oaf decide he wanted a bigger cut in the profits - usually at the most inopportune time. Luckily I've always believed in keeping a few aces up my sleeve for such occasions, so I've always pulled through. Still, I've had a few close calls.

Frosty
2008-06-27, 03:09 PM
Celeste Guerrier

Celeste quickly interjects with a smile. "Forgive my friend here. She has had a tiring past few days and it was just a momentary slip. The Silver Anvil Consortium is of course recognized and respected by everyone. Bandits and Brigands do like to steal weapons, but with you and your kobolds i'm sure they'd meet the business end of the weapons instead. Still, you seem fairly cautious. Would you like some assistance from me should we be attacked?" Of course, Celeste does not appear armed, but most people know of magicians, so they may not dismiss her out of hand.

Telepathically, she alerts her friends, "Just as I suspected. Abjuration and evocation auras are typically found on armors and weapon respectively. Add to the fact that it's a heavily guarded dwarven cart, and my intuition that this is a weapons trade is correct. The Silver Anvil Consortium trade weapons and armor everywhere"

Greyen
2008-06-28, 12:58 AM
You shouldn't need to be helping much, these 'bolds will be fine. The casrt rumbles along.

From along the road steps out an elf, he is 200 feet distant. Dressed in green leathers and holding a bow he shouts down to the dwarf Back again Marak? You are no longer allowed through here. You and your 'bolds killed to many last time. Then he raises a hand shouting Kill him!
As soon as he stepped out the woods and begins to speak the "'bolds" dive for cover under and around the cart, crossbows trained in every direction.

It is an instant scene of chaos, the 'bolds on the ground and in the cart begin to fire crossbow bolts out into the forest, seemingly with out direction.
Arrows begin to fall like rain upon the area. Those of you within the area take a few arrows from the woods but they fall harmlessly to the side in the face of your heavy natural armor.

In the moment before the surprise wears off you all hear multiple dull heavy thunks of larger weapons. From high in the trees a long heavy spear slams into one of the lead Ranha's pinning its screaming form to the ground. Another comes from almost level with the road slamming into the side of the cart, producing screams of kobold and the clatter of steel from inside the cart.

Lochar
2008-06-28, 06:45 AM
I would like to comment that Waetir has been flying along in the trees, and probably would have spotted some of this.

Waetir's init:[roll0]

Waetir

Waetir, flying along in the trees, sees the attack on his companions. He alights in the closest tree without an enemy and scowls as he reaches inside himself for his magical power, unleashing frost.

If he can spot enemies within Close range (45') he uses his cold scorching ray.

A1[roll1]
C1:[roll2]
D:[roll3] Cold + [roll4] SA
CD: [roll5] Cold

A1[roll6]
C1:[roll7]
D:[roll8] Cold + [roll9] SA
CD: [roll10] Cold

If he can't see any enemies, he instead sets a Cold Wall of Fire pointed outwards towards the elf, away from the cart.

Greyen
2008-06-28, 07:06 AM
Between full concealment and illusionary hiding spots they had ya'll beat. Not that any of them can hurt you.

As you all begin to react and take a look for your attackers the illusions seem to fade away for those of you who are stong of mind (everyone). There are about 20 elves standing in nooks cut into the trunks of the widest trees. The nooks are hidden by an illusion that mimics the bark itself. On the command the elves simply leaned out of the concealing illusion. The pair of ballista. similarly hidden are manned by a pair of elves each.

Waetir fires a pair of scintillating blue bolts at a pair of the elves who fall dead from their hiding spots.

Incendius
2008-06-28, 09:12 AM
Excalith

Listen check to see if Excalith can hear the battle from where he is.

[roll0]

Initiative

[roll1]

(If the listen check succeeds)

As Excalith hears the din of battle he quickly ponders a course of action. I doubt that my help shall be needed, but I should apprise the situation to see whether this is true or not. With this thought Excalith summons up his infernal power and teleports himself far into an aerial view of the battlefield. Here he looks unto the situation, and decides to wait to see where the rest of his group would go. He could plainly see that none of the Elves were going to be much of a trouble to his fellows, but he still did not want to interfere just yet if they attempted to negotiate. Most likely the elves would not look into the sky and see the floating eighteen foot tall monstrosity, but even if they did there was not much they could probably do about it.

Teleport to about 220 feet up in the air. Not using the move action.

WhiteKnight777
2008-06-28, 10:27 AM
Zariel

Zariel stood unafraid as the arrows, obviously not possessing enough magical power to pierce the supernaturally tough flesh of the devil. Quickly assessing the situation, he began to mimic the words and gestures of spellcasting as he activated one of his innate powers. A ball of black flame appeared in his hands, and he hurled it towards the nearest of the ballistae and its crew.

Bluff check to fake spellcasting [roll0]

Ranged touch attack for fireball, in case there are trees in the way. If not, ignore. [roll1]

Damage (Half is Vile, half is Fire) [roll2]

Greyen
2008-06-28, 10:45 AM
Excalith 'ports above the treeline and can see far below him, like ants, the commotion of the battle. Marak the dwarf lies bleeding on top of the cart, Rrrlaf the kobold leader, lies along side of the cart knocked off of the top when the ballista hit. The other kobolds around the cart continue to reload thier crossbows while some of those inside appear to be alive as an occaisional bolt shoots out.

The black flames explode around the ballista and its crew who fall as burnt husks to the ground. Their dying screams echoing into the forest.

The elf in the road draws aim on Zariel letting fly his arrow. The shaft bounces harmlessley off his hardened skin, leaving no mark. One of the kobolds see this and begins to chatter to the other kobolds while reloading.

@those w/ tounges or who speak draconic
Didja see that! The arrow bounced off that one!

Lochar
2008-06-28, 10:51 AM
Waetir

Still invisible, but now getting a better idea, Waetir again summons his innate powers, this time not to freeze, but something more...debilitating. They could not convert the dead, but they could still prove the superiority of Trual's way.

On round 2.

Sculpted Stinking Cloud for four 10' cubes. One cube goes on the main elf if he isn't dead, one on the remaining ballista, and the rest to the closest elves. DC 21 Fort or nausea.

Paragon Badger
2008-06-28, 11:04 AM
Sophiel's calm face turned to one of slight annoyance as an arrow aimed for her heart harmlessly dug into a thick layer of her skin. Furrowing her brow, the celestial pulled the crude projectile out of her flesh and dropped it to the ground.

Closing her eyes, the angel put her hand out to her side. A faint glimmer permeated the air and the light took the form of a long staff at her palm. It grew larger, and materialized with a great blade sinking into the ground. The weapon looked more appropriate for a being of Excalith's size than Sophiel's, and in her human guise, the weapon spanned nearly three times her height.

"Such trivial creatures..." Sohpiel thought to the others as she watched the scuffle.

Initiative: [roll0]
Move: Summon Glaive
AttacK ..None? :smallsmile:

And I wiki'd; the average glaive is 7-8 feet long including the blade... Doubling makes for a rather silly (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ImprobableWeaponUser) weapon. At least it doesn't grant 15 foot reach, maybe Sophie's using it short-haft? :smallwink: At least we'll never need to buy 10 foot poles.

WhiteKnight777
2008-06-28, 11:15 AM
Zariel

Zariel laughed as the arrows bounced harmlessly off of his skin once again. Taking aim on the other ballista, he repeated the process, pretending to cast a spell while drawing on his innate energies to create a ball of wicked-looking black flame that he sent streaming towards the machine and its crew.

Wash, rinse, repeat

Bluff [roll0]

Attack [roll1]

Damage [roll2]

Frosty
2008-06-28, 12:11 PM
Celeste Guerrier

Celeste watches all of the carnage around her, and sighs. She wonders her elf-like physiqe might help her in this case. Quickly climbing up to the top of the cart, she shouts (in Common) in a very commanding voice, utilizing her full presence. "In the name of all that is holy, STOP, ALL OF YOU. AND I MEAN ON BOTH SIDES."

Once she has their attention, she switches over to Elven, "There's wounded everywhere. If we all stop this madness now, we can still recover them and save them from death. As a neutral third party, I want to discuss with your leader on why he or she thinks this violence was necessary, and how your two sides might resolve this WITHOUT further deaths." Celeste then quickly tells the Kobolds in Common what she had announced, as well as telepathically telling her party members to CEASE the violence.
This is a diplomacy roll to see if the next step is really necessary. If Diplomacy won't work, then the intimidation might. [roll0]

Now speaking in Common again, "Anybody, on ANY side that makes a further attack WILL face my wrath and feel extreme PAIN even though your body will not suffer any lasting damage. You DON'T want to try my patience right now. Now, who is your leader?" Celeste really wishes her clothes weren't illusionary right now. Intimidation usually doesn't work as well if one is seen as un-clothed.
[spoiler]Indimidate check: [roll1]

Greyen
2008-06-28, 12:49 PM
The angelic Sophiel summons her glaive as Cesleste climbs aboard the cart and begins her tirade.

On the ground Rrrlaf crawls underneath the cart taking cover from the falling arrows. After Celeste begins speaking to him Rrrlaf barks something to the other kobolds. In draconic - The tasty looking elf says we stop or we face her pain. -laughter- Where is the dwarf with gold? We no stop unless he say so, we have his paper! They all ready to fire again.

The elves in the trees pause for direction from their leader who stands for a moment, deciding. Leave the cart and the dwarf and you may go, the 'bolds may go also. Our quarrel is with him.

WhiteKnight777
2008-06-28, 12:59 PM
Zariel

Zariel smiles, letting the black fire around his hands fade as he stares down the elven leader. Hearing the Kobold's conversation, he glances at their leader, speaking in a low, cool tone.

We're trying to resolve this without further bloodshed. I strongly suggest that you do not undermine our efforts. I am more patient than my compatriot, but I am not a forgiving man.

Returning his glance to the elf, he looks hard at him, speaking in a powerful voice. You are really in no position to make demands, friend. We seek to resolve this situation amicably, without further loss of blood or life on either side. Be reasonable, and tell us what your quarrel is with this dwarf, so that we might try to mediate it.

Indimidate Vs. Kobolds [roll0]

Intimidate Vs. Elves [roll1]

Diplomacy Vs. Elves [roll2]

Greyen
2008-06-28, 01:24 PM
Rrrlaf looks into the eyes of Zariel and then ducks his head in subverience. He barks to the other 'bolds. Draconic - Gather our dead, where is that dwarf? Some of the other kobolds bark back and begin to drag their few wounded from out of the wrecked cart and then under it. A few of them are dead. One of the kobolds from inside the cart climbs up to the roof where he barks and hisses Draconic - Greenscale! He's up here. Bleeding out. Can we eat him?

The elven leader says back to Zariel He has trespassed on our land and killed my rangers, as have you! He owes many lives. Leave him and you may go, you were trapped in the crossfire. And thusly will be forgiven if you walk away.

Lochar
2008-06-28, 01:53 PM
Waetir

Hearing the command, Waetir changes his course of action, instead calling for a nature spirit to answer. A Unicorn should be viable for healing. Waetir's voice rises loud enough to be heard before he begins quietly chanting the spell. "Summoning for healing purposes only."

Full Round Action, Summon Nature's Ally IV for a Unicorn. It's commands are to heal the dwarf, then anything of the hurt kobolds.

Also, Hide check because he actually made noise.

[roll0]

Frosty
2008-06-28, 09:26 PM
Celeste Guerrier: HP=112. AC/Touch/Flat-footed=39/24/39

The elf-demon walks forward slowly, arms outstretched to show that she has no weapons. As she walks she uses her innate ability to give others Suggestions. Targeting the elf leader, she suggests in Elven, "You want to explain your grievances in full so we can mediate the dispute. Calming yourself and your people down is a good idea."

Suggestion SLA. No components of course except speaking since it is language dependant. DC 27 Will save negates

Paragon Badger
2008-06-28, 10:00 PM
Sophiel shrugged her large weapon upon her shoulder, taking a few steps towards the wounded. Raising her hand, a faint magical energy flowing from those who could see it, she moved to lay it upon the dwarf, ignoring the kobolds along the way.

But once the celestial had seen the unicorn trotting along, her open palm collapsed into a weak fist, and she let her arm fall to her side.

"Crude little beasts."Sophiel remarked in draconic after they suggested eating their employer.

Turning to the elf, she telepathically said to him with a glare, "You are truly bold to offer forgiveness to those who could end your life in but a breath. I did not detect the taint of evil upon your quarry, aside from his underlings... You w-"

Interrupted by Celeste's words, Sophiel closed her eyes and ended her train of thought, allowing the succubus to do her work. There were many roads to victory, afterall.

Greyen
2008-06-28, 11:29 PM
{We're not in combat rounds now, I'm going to boil down some conversation here.}

The unicorn appears in a splash of light. Immediately it begins walking around touching three of the kobolds and then the dwarf. All of them have their wounds close. It awaits instructions after that.

Celeste's words nearly stun the elf, he begins blubbering on and on about how the consortium, this dwarf most often, has wronged his band of men time and again by passing through their land with out paying the toll. During the last few times the dwarf has used the 'bold mercenaries and at least 8 of his men have dies now the warband wants revenge.
As all that is going on Maarak the dwarf is healed and stumps his thick legs up to Celeste and begins to poke holes in the elf's story. First of all they don't own the forest or the roads and are collecting taxes illegally, the brigands. Next of all the first arrow was fired by them, now a good trader lost his leg and I have to hire the 'bolds. What a waste of money all around, only if they weren't trying ta skim off of honest folk!

Back at the cart the kobolds are stunned by the power of Celeste, and Zariel and especially Sophiel. When she speaks in draconic to them their eyes get huge and they all huddle around the leader, Rrrlaf. They begin to speak very quickly and all over one another, too confusing to a non-kobold to quite follow. After a moment they all go quiet and Rrrlaf steps out speaking in draconic to Sophiel, falling to his knee as he does so Why you [beings of power] here? We serve dwarf paper, then we take you to see [winged elder]! The other 'bolds take a knee behind him before scattering back to their spota around, in, and under the cart.

Incendius
2008-06-28, 11:53 PM
Excalith

The situation seems to be boiling down, and I don't want to risk my presence impacting negotiations. I believe I'll continue to observe from afar though, high enough up I will only look like another bird. Then so as to avoid further chances of detection Excalith again gathered his infernal energies, and teleported. However this time was too a much higher height, so as to appear more as a bird then a gigantic floating beast.

WhiteKnight777
2008-06-29, 12:16 AM
Zariel

Zariel looks back and forth between the two parties for a moment, at last speaking up in a calm, thoughtful voice. He notes the reactions of the kobolds, but for now leaves it for Sophiel to handleGood sir elf.. what claim do you and your men have to this land? and moreover, what claim to do you have to owning the road itself, and having a right to collect a toll on it?

Greyen
2008-06-29, 12:58 AM
The elves begin to climb down from their trees, and gather their dead and wounded. The leader steps forward indignant This is our land! We claimed it more than thirty years ago! The dwarf shoots back This land belongs to the human king in Pular to the west. You thieves just up and decided that this stretch of forest was yours one day.We claimed it and no one has challenged that claim!Like thieves saying 'no one has caught me so I'm not stealing'The elf and dwarf are standing chest to chest screaming at one another now. Our land you pay the toll!oh, bugger off! This isn't yer land!

Paragon Badger
2008-06-29, 01:20 AM
Sophiel narrowed her eyes at the diminuitive being, tilting her head in curiosity.

"Wigned Elder?" She asked the kobolds, "You serve a greater being than thyself? And this paper- is it a contract?"

Furrowing her brow in annoyance at the little creatures, Sophiel simplified her words, "You serve someone stronger? -But you have to keep a promise with the dwarf first? Yes?"

Greyen
2008-06-29, 01:36 AM
Yes, [winged elder] is our leader. Yes, paper is binding, we work, he pays us. Rrrlaf says to Sophiel. How he says winged elder is mildly different, maybe its a name or title as well as a monicker. You come to see [winged elder] speak to him about why you here. Rrrlaf seems confident that you will do as he says, as if there is no other possibility that the other races activities even matter.

Lochar
2008-06-29, 06:55 AM
Waetir

Once the healing is complete, Waetir dismisses the unicorn. He then glides in to hear the conversation, although staying more than sixty feet away from the group.

Hide: [roll0]
MS: [roll1]

WhiteKnight777
2008-06-29, 10:26 AM
Zariel

Stepping between them, Zariel meaningfully put his hand on the shoulder of each being and pushed them firmly apart, the look in his eyes brooking no resistance. Once again, he looked at the elf and the dwarf, his jaw set firmly

Calm yourselves. Screaming like spoiled children does no one any good. Both of you are angry, and both of you feel you are justified. Let us try to work this out in a reasonable manner. My good friend elf - if what my dwarven friend says here is true, you're technically trespassing on the crown's land, and charging an illegal toll based on that trespass. However, you obviously believe that the land is yours by right of possession. Is there anything else that might justify this claim? Have you done anything to improve the land or the road itself that might justify charging a toll for others using it?

Frosty
2008-06-29, 12:11 PM
Celeste Guerrier

Celeste concentrates on the pair arguing. She reads the thoughts of the dwarf (who has already failed the save) and will try to read the thoughts of the elf leader as well. "While being lawful isn't the end all be all, there is what is reasonable and what isn't. By what authority do you lay claim to these lands? Just by settling here? That's just squatting. Still, I can understand your feelings."

She considered Suggesting magically a solution to the two parties, but tries regular diplomacy first. "I have a proposal. If you indeed have been maintaining these lands and making traveling, and by extension, trade, easier within these routes, why not formalize a relationship the the human king? Perhaps, in return for you maintaining these lands and keeping it free of bandit activity, the king will grant you control of these lands even allow you to charge a modest toll, provided you pay taxes of course. You're doing it already anyways, so why not do a bit of negotiating and get some official recognition? And this way, nobody has to die from here on out, and merchants can save gold by not having to hire so many guards. Does that sound fair to the two of you?"

diplomacy roll: [roll0]

Greyen
2008-06-29, 12:17 PM
EDit: Ninja'd- will update for Celeste in next post

The dwarf and elf are pealed apart only with application of some strength. The dwarf stands there sputtering about ...oos gonna pay for the Ranha and the cart now? I bet some of the wares are ruined too...

The elf responds to Zariel, I hold this land by right! My ancestors held this forest for thousands of year before the humans came along! Now it is ours again. And this malignant little axe chewer drives his armored cart through here once a month with out permission or paying for the rights to use our roads! Your roads...Pshaw! The dwarf spits at the elf hitting him square in the face...the elf's anger breaks again he leaps at the dwarf drawing steel in one fluid motion fists flying. Zariel easily catches him before actual contact.

The other elves are tending to their wounded and cries of anguish can be heard from the sides of the road as they come upon their dead.

Greyen
2008-06-29, 01:22 PM
Celeste's words intterupt the attack momentarily, her presense setting the mortal minds off kilter.

Celeste Guerrier

Celeste concentrates on the pair arguing. She reads the thoughts of the dwarf (who has already failed the save) and will try to read the thoughts of the elf leader as well. "While being lawful isn't the end all be all, there is what is reasonable and what isn't. By what authority do you lay claim to these lands? Just by settling here? That's just squatting. Still, I can understand your feelings."

She considered Suggesting magically a solution to the two parties, but tries regular diplomacy first. "I have a proposal. If you indeed have been maintaining these lands and making traveling, and by extension, trade, easier within these routes, why not formalize a relationship the the human king? Perhaps, in return for you maintaining these lands and keeping it free of bandit activity, the king will grant you control of these lands even allow you to charge a modest toll, provided you pay taxes of course. You're doing it already anyways, so why not do a bit of negotiating and get some official recognition? And this way, nobody has to die from here on out, and merchants can save gold by not having to hire so many guards. Does that sound fair to the two of you?"

diplomacy roll: [roll0]

Read thoughts- Elf- I'm going to kill that dwarf and his interlopers! We were once a great mercenary band, now reduced to lowly bandits!

Read Thougts- Dwarf - That blasted elf, trying to ruin my profits! I'm going to come back through here and roust out every one of these point eared tree huggers, even if I have to out of pocket to get the Consortium to sponsor it!

The dwarf laughs at the idea of the 'human king', while the elf stammers back The humans can barely keep their kingdom together! Let alone worry about this forest. They have too many larger issues at hand. That why he is making such hefty profits! The elf stands pointing at the dwarf. Who only smiles the sly smile of a rich merchant.

Paragon Badger
2008-06-29, 09:32 PM
The angel turns towards her comrades, telepathically saying, 'It seems the little ones serve an entity of some power... They speak of it with the honorific of a wigned elder, and appear to be quite intent on having us meet with it. Settle things with the squabbling mortals, for they are of little influence.'

Turning back to the kobolds, Sophiel asked, "Where?"

Greyen
2008-06-30, 02:27 AM
{In Draconic} In the mountains, is his cave. We must serve the bearded smelly one's paper first. Rrrlaf will present you to [winged elder], it is Rrrlaf's duty. Rrrlaf beams with pride at the thought of presenting beings of great power to his elder.

Frosty
2008-06-30, 02:00 PM
The angel turns towards her comrades, telepathically saying, 'It seems the little ones serve an entity of some power... They speak of it with the honorific of a wigned elder, and appear to be quite intent on having us meet with it. Settle things with the squabbling mortals, for they are of little influence.'

Turning back to the kobolds, Sophiel asked, "Where?"

Celeste Guerrier: HP=112. AC/Touch/Flat-footed=39/24/39

After receiving Sophiel's mental communication, she responds mentally to all allies, "These squabbling mortals are of the utmost important, for not only are their kind directly part of our mission objective, mortals make up the vast majority of a deity's worshippers. We care, if for nothing else, then for the fact that Trual needs as many mortals worhsipping him as possible. Now, I understand that influencing a being of power is also very important. I agree with you there, but we can't just callously discount the needs of mere mortals. When we can satisfy their needs, Trual gains worshippers."

Brushing back her hair, the busty elf continues, "So, what are everyone's suggestions? It seems both parties are rather-bullheaded. Although the dward doesn't appear malicious for its own sake, he is purely concerned about profit, and I know he is willing to come back and kill all the elves here to keep this trade route open. The elves are very much concerned about status and honor it seems. Their ancestors were once a great emrcenary band that claimed these parts. Now mere brigands, they seek to reclaim their former glory by trying to claim these lands once again, and they see the actions of traders as a direct challenge to their authority. Damned egos."

Lochar
2008-06-30, 02:28 PM
Waetir

Waetir thinks for a bit, before slowly, oh so slowly, flies out of tree he is in. This is one of those times he wishes for his previous telepathy. Possibly he'd look into getting it from Lord Trual once more, but at the moment, he needed to speak to one of the others.

"Short of killing them all, we cannot solve this problem without staying with one of the groups. Our question becomes, do we push past the elves and continue on, seeking the kobold's greater power, or do we stay with the elves and help them to re-establish themselves? One way, we find a probable immortal to convert to Trual. In the other, we may gain worshippers." he whispers to one of the others, attempting to not be heard by either side.

Greyen
2008-06-30, 11:20 PM
The kobolds seeing that there is no action to be done and that the leves are no longer hostile at the moment take stock of the situation and begin to separate the dead Ranha from the traces. The other Ranha seem unreactive to all of the combat around them. As the kobolds begin to cut the dead one away though you can all smell the Ranha blood. The other Ranha begin to get ancy pulling at the traces and generally acting restless. Rrrlaf sees this and barks something tooo them and tosses a ceramic jar to his second. THe second takes the jar and carefully wipes some of the goo from inside it on the nose of the other three Ranha.

All the while the elves begin to gather along the sides of the road. They lay their burnt and frozen dead, four in total in the road way. They stand in silence waiting for further instruction.

Marak (the elf), and Sollm (the elf) are still going at it screaming and yelling about racial rights and profits.

Paragon Badger
2008-07-01, 01:08 AM
"These mortals' goals are not aligned with our own." Sophiel said to her comrades, "The large one is singular, favoring little beasts to his own kind. The other mortals are few in number, less than a score. They serve no one but themselves and their nature is that of isolation."

Shrugging, Sophiel went over to Maral, hoisting the glaive onto her shoulder as she grabbed the dwarf with the other.

"How much do you pay the little ones to protect your wares?" She asked matter-of-factly. "Give these people the same amount and be done with it. You would find safe-passage profitable enough."

Turning her eyes to the lead elf, she telepathecally said with her own voice, "Beings greater than you and I have an interest in this region; and you will find it favorable to keep the soil bloodless. Your deaceased comrades would agree, or shall I summon their spirits and ask them myself? Accept this one's price, and greater boons shall follow."

Greyen
2008-07-01, 01:41 AM
Marak stops and thinks for a moments with Sophiel's directions. Turning toward the elf he says Mercenaries, Eh?

The elf blanches at the thoughts going into his skull. Going silent for the first time in a while he looks around at his men and then at Marak. I've got twenty odd men left now. Two gold a day plus expenses. We will need a day to prepare the rites for our fallen.

The dwarf looks outraged Two gold a day! I pay five silver per kobold per day, and half of that is in trade! They also provide the Ranha's! One gold per day! The two step to the side and begin to bargain back and forth fiercely.

Rrrlaf walks over to Sophiel [Tasty One]He seems to be refering to you, Sophiel they speak too quickly for me. What is going on now?

WhiteKnight777
2008-07-01, 11:33 AM
Zariel

In the telepathic conversation, Zariel spoke up My best guess as to this "winged elder" would be a dragon... the lead kobold looks a bit different than his fellows, and the signs might be those of a bit of draconic blood in him. Green if the coloration is any indication, thought if he's in the mountains it would be an unusual lair for such a creature. It could also be a half-breed of some sort. Difficult to tell at the moment, but that's my best guess. The

He watched as Sophiel interceded between the two, concealing a small smile at her less-than-subtle tact. Still, he had to concede it wasn't a bad plan. Speaking telepathically once more, he said Of course, the direct approach does have its charms.

He stood between the merchant and the mercanary, his face impassive, but ready to step between them again should violence threaten. After a moment, he spoke up. The merchant is not responsibly for the death of your comrades. I caused their deaths, though in fairness to me it was self defense. I cannot pay you a blood-price at the moment, but when I am able you have my word that I will pay renumeration for the loss of your elves and for the war machine. With this in mind, perhaps you could see the way clear to cutting a deal with the good merchant?

With a flourish, he conjured a long, ebon stylus out of the air, along with a curled scroll of parchment, writing an IOU with quick, practiced strokes in the Elven language. He paused with the tip resting at the bottom, his name yet unsigned, one eyebrow arched inquisitively as he stared at the elven leader.

Frosty
2008-07-01, 01:09 PM
Celeste Guerrier

Celeste smiles and places a hand on Sophiel's shoulder. "You and I think alike, my friend. We're very similar in more ways than one." Turning back to Marak and giving him a warm smile, she says, "Think about this. Not only are you getting rid of bandit activities along these roads, you'll also have their protection instead. You're getting two for the price of one, so why not meet them halfway? 1 and a half gold per day. The consortium will be glad that their goods are in less danger, and your missus, should you have one, can sleep easier at night as well. Besides, these elves may know the forest better than you do, and can even decrease your travel time by guiding caravans through shortcuts. Surely that is worth something?"

Agreeing with Zariel's assessment, Celeste thinks to her allies, "Dragons are not known for their neutrality for the most part. They might be more difficult to turn to our cause...but then, the sheep that are the most lost need the most guidance, right?"

Greyen
2008-07-01, 01:58 PM
The two bargainers look horrified at the interloper even speaking to them while in the heat of greed. Both of them step away from Zariel only to redouble their bargaining.

Rrrlaf steps up to Celeste [Spicy one] what is happening? they speak too fast. And can my cousins begin to feast upon the dead Ranha?

Frosty
2008-07-01, 02:23 PM
Before Celeste can respond...she reflects upon Trual's teachings. Would Trual frown upon the Bolds' eating habits? In the meantime, Celeste smiles and kneels on one knee to make herself seem less threatening and more friendly to Rrrlaf, and concentrates on Rrrlaf, trying to detect his surface thoughts.

taking 10 in a non-threatening situation. Total of 18 for Knowledge Religion. DC still 26, as before, to negate.

Greyen
2008-07-01, 02:59 PM
Trual says "Eat what thou will when thou will. As long as it is not alive and sentient, and unwilling. In other words if you bite someone, don't chew and swallow, unless they are your enemy or a willing victim."

rrrlaf's brain says - The boys are getting hungry.

Frosty
2008-07-01, 03:35 PM
Celeste Guerrier

The female elf-demon attempts to get some of the mannerisms of the bolds down, "There is no reason to delay. My...elder, if you will, Trual, says that you eat what you want to eat, if it is dead or willing. Go, feast, and let me try one bite later? As for other two, they talk about papers. Maybe elves will work for smelly dwarf's paper as well so they don't try to kill you and Ranhas anymore."

Celeste takes an opportunity to refresh her Disguise of mottled green tunic and brown leather skirt (her thigh-high boots are real, but the coloring green is a disguise). Disguise Self SLA only lasts 90 minutes at this level, so she refreshes the effect now and then. Upon renewing the effect, she checks her disguise by quietly asking Rrrlaf, "You don't see anything wrong or strange with my outfit yes?"

Lochar
2008-07-01, 03:38 PM
Waetir

Waetir quietly moves around, checking on the other elves, seeing who still lives. When he finds one, he summons from a distance another unicorn with commands to heal and then depart. He stays invisible, and preferably upwind of the kobolds and lizards. No need for them to catch his scent if at all possible.

Greyen
2008-07-02, 01:26 AM
Rrrlaf looks at Celeste All of you soft skins dress oddy to us. It wil not matter to the [Winged Elder].

The unicorn heals those few that need it, leaving the elves wondering the source of the unicorn's actions.

Greyen
2008-07-02, 01:40 PM
Zariel holds out the IOU and the elf waves him off. Both the elf and dwarf pull long slim daggers from their belts and after brandishing them for a moment they slice open the meaty part of their palms before shaking hands. Seems they have struck a deal. The elf turns around and stalks off to the largest clump of his followers.

MArak turns to Rrrlaf and says Rrrlaf old mate, he then switches to heavily accented draconic Me break paper with you. He pulls a vellum scroll from a scrollcase and shows a simple work contract signed by a Marak Thanedeep and {in draconic}Rrrlaf. Rrrlaf blinks surprisedly at the dwarf but I must pay you as per our terms. Here is you pay. He takes a hefty pouch of clinking coins from inside his shirt and hands it to the kobold. Rrrlaf, thanks Marak. We do work again. Marak simply nods smugly Sure thing little guy.

Marak walks over to the cart and begins to examine the damage while the kobolds unhitch the remaining Rahna's and lead them down the road a bit after some of them get to work butchering the dead one. Rrrlaf looks at the three standing outsiders You all come to see [winged elder] now?

Paragon Badger
2008-07-02, 07:30 PM
"I may return to see how you've fared in keeping the soil bloodless." Sophiel telepathically said to the elf, "There is profit in such a deed, and you shall find rewards beyond the dwarf-thing's payments."

Closing her eyes, she sent another telepathic message to the outsiders nearby, including Waetir and Excalith, "I believe you may reveal yourselves to the little ones and suffer not. They regard us without trepidation."

Turning to the kobold, Sophiel simply said, "Yes, if my compatriots are willing."

Lochar
2008-07-02, 07:46 PM
Waetir

"Away from the dwarf and elf first, but yes."

Frosty
2008-07-02, 08:12 PM
Celeste Guerrier

Celeste says to Rrrlaf, "Yes, we will go see your elder very soon, but we need to talk to dwarf and elf quickly beforehand." She waits patiently for the deal to be sealed in blood, and then steps up to make a short speech. "And there you have it. A solution that works for everyone." Looking at the dead bodies, she shakes her head and adds, "What a waste. However, all is it not lost. We worship a god named Trual, and I believe we may be able to bring some of the dead back to life if enough people worship Trual. We must be off for now, but if you are interested in hearing more about our god, please look for us. I am Celeste."

Greyen
2008-07-03, 02:22 AM
The elves and dwarf soon forgotten the kobolds are swift in their butchery, eating as the cut up the great lizard. The meat is quickly packed and stowed on the other Ranha's. Harnesses and tack for the beasts coming from the packs of the other kobolds. The three remaining Ranha's are mounted, 2-3 kobolds to an animal and they proceed back down the road the way they came, the lizards move at a swift walk but not much faster.

The kobolds seem to be in good spirits but are wary in the forest.

Incendius
2008-07-03, 06:21 AM
Excalith

It looks as if my allies have divested themselves from the goodly races and somehow became attached to the Kobolds. Perhaps the kobolds shall be amendable to my appearance, and if not I'm certain I can intimidate them into keeping their opinions to themselves. Excalith thought as he watched the small dots that represented the different people's at the meeting moving on. With a simple thought Excalith again teleported himself, this time behind the rest of his allies and the Kobolds. It was a quiet appearance, and as he did not say a word (Both for he could not understand the Kobolds, and he expected his allies to inform him of what came next), only if the Kobolds turned would they see the gigantic humanoid monstrosity walking in pace behind them with its arms clasped behind its back.

Lochar
2008-07-03, 06:22 AM
Waetir

Once away from the elves and dwarf, Waetir summons another Unicorn and sits upon it before allowing himself to become visible. He nods to the others and the kobolds, before dismissing the unicorn once more, and beginning to fly 40' above the rest of the group.

Greyen
2008-07-03, 06:36 AM
The kobolds notice Excalith and Waetir's appearances with some commotion. Chattering back and forth in draconic for some time before Rrrlaf says to the three more humanoid of the troop Are these others with you?

WhiteKnight777
2008-07-03, 02:36 PM
Zariel

Once away from the more - normal humanoids, Zariel allowed his more human shape to fall away, revealing a form similar - save for the massive black-feathered pinions stretching from his shoulderblades.

Indeed, they are with us. We have been traveling in disguise in order to avoid alarming others with our somewhat... unusual appearances, but we feel that you and yours are sufficiently brave and cunning to look past our strange outer forms.

Greyen
2008-07-03, 03:09 PM
Rrrlaf beams with pride at the thought of such powerful and honorable beings pandering to him You are right to come with us. [Winged Elder] will be greatly pleased. You notice that Rrrlaf seems more comfortable now and speaks more smoothly and with far less of the idiot speech patterns. He asks you Where do you come from? And why are you here?

WhiteKnight777
2008-07-03, 04:32 PM
Zariel

Zariel smiles gently, glad to see that the appeal to the little creature's pride seemed to have struck home. They might prove more pliable and ready converts than he had thought.

We come from many places - but each of us serve the same Lord, the great God Trual. We are here to bring the word of his glory to this world, and endeavor to shepherd those who dwell here into His light.

Frosty
2008-07-03, 06:24 PM
Celeste Guerrier

Celeste is curious about this Winged Elder. Obviously the 'bolds venerate this being, so influencing the Winged Elder could bring about some worshippers to Trual. "Tell me a bit about this Winged Elder. What does he or she look like? And you seem to have great respect for your Winged Elder, right?"

Paragon Badger
2008-07-03, 11:03 PM
Turning back into her angelic form, Sophiel had a face resembling somewhat of relief. Celeste had been correct about the robes, and they seemed airy enough to allow the celestial's wings to sprout.

"It may be awhile, Let us speak as we walk." The angel said as she gazed upon her hand, focusing on her powers until her complexion returned to its normal hue.

Greyen
2008-07-04, 12:29 AM
Rrrlaf watches everything you all do as you change and shift back to your natural forms You are alll, obviously very powerful beings. Tell me about this Trual. I have never heard of this name for a god here.

He turns to answer Celeste's questions He has been my tribes leader for a very long time. Every 'bold in the tribe respects [Winged Elder] he is the heart of the tribe. His blood flows through some of the tribe, like myself.

In response to Sophiel Rrrlaf says We will travel into the night and then rest. We can do almost everything from the back of a ranha!

WhiteKnight777
2008-07-04, 08:27 PM
Zariel

Zariel paused for a moment, thinking what to tell this kobold as they rode to meet its master. The comment about bloodlines had only served to further some of his suspicions. Trual is a great lord and... unique among the gods. He rewards his followers hadnsomely, but moreover he does so fairly... and he accepts everyone under his wing, unlike some of the so-called deities of light. He is just, and perhaps the best aspect of him is that he allows anyone, regardless of who they are, to shape and achieve their own destiny, whatever they wish it to be. He rules fairly, and for the benefit of all of his servants.

Greyen
2008-07-04, 11:57 PM
Rrrlaf turns to say something to Zariel when on eof the other kobolds begins to chatter something very excitedly while pointing into the forest. As Rrrlaf turns to look where the kobold is pointing a pair huge black tigers leaps from the trees landing on the central Ranha. The kobolds are flung to the sides landing heavily on the ground. Both tigers begin to rend the Ranha swiftly spilling its guts across the road, raising a foul stench. The lead Ranha spins hissing at the panthers, the rear also balks hissing at the cats.

The kobolds begin to gather themselves some of them are able to fire their crossbows into the side of one of the tigers, the other pick themselves up and begin to gather and reload their crossbows.

[Combat- First come first served! I'll make a Q&D Map in a bit.]

Lochar
2008-07-05, 09:45 AM
Waetir

Waetir summons his internal magics and a cloud of naseous vapors appear, clumped on the tigers.

Sculpted stinking cloud, 4 10' cubes. 2 per tiger. DC 23 Fort save or nasueated for [roll0] rounds after they get out of the cloud. Must save every round in the cloud.

Frosty
2008-07-05, 11:57 AM
Celeste Guerrier - HP=112, AC/Flat/Touch=39/39/24

Celestesighs as the two black panthers leap and kills a ranha, "Well this will slow us down even more. Too bad for YOU, Trual needs worshippers, and animals can't exactly worship. Now HOLD STILL and let us send you to to yuor eternal rewardd" With a thought, she uses her mighty innate abilities to attack the two felines.

If the creatures are big enough so that she can target them normally even though they're affected by Stinking Cloud, Celeste will cast Hold Monster on one of them. DC29 Will Save or be held. If the Stinking Cloud has blocked her vision enough so she can't target them with targeted spells, Celeste will instead run forward to get a better angle (if need be), then use her Empowered Fireball (Electricity damage) placed behind the felines so it will hit the two felines and ONLY the felines. DC27 Reflex save or take [roll0] x 1.5 = 49

Frosty
2008-07-05, 12:03 PM
damned double post.

Incendius
2008-07-05, 12:45 PM
Excilath

Excellent. I haven't had the joy of meat for quite some years. Excilath shouted as he barreled forward rushing past all of the other combatants to slam into the tiger on the right.

If his reach can extend far enough (it should) he strikes from outside the cloud.

Each successful hit also produces a DC 34 Fort Save against a Stun of 1d4 rounds

Attack on the Right Tiger [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Stun [roll2]

Push (5ft) Against the tiger on the Right into the other tiger if possible. [roll3] (No size advantage bonus)

Trip Attempts
Right [roll4]
Left [roll5]

Attack Right [roll6]
Damage Right [roll7]
Stun [roll8]

Attack Left [roll9]
Stun [roll10]
Damage Left [roll11]

Greyen
2008-07-05, 01:43 PM
The two black panthers are instantly enveloped in sickly green vapors that seem to cling to them. Both look irritated but look around for the source of the vapors.

Celeste's spell locks one of the panthers down, it goes rigid instantly.

Moments later Excilath lams into the side of the rigid panther bashing its body into the next. Both of them are knocked aside and get further pulverized by the huge stone demon.

Damage
A-Held 9, Stunned 1, 61
B -Stunned 1 30

Lochar
2008-07-05, 02:00 PM
Waetir

With the clouds of vapors still there, Waetir then enacts his natural invisibility before taking for the air, holding onto the homunculus.

Would re-enacting the natural invisibility be a swift action, or a standard? it's an Ex ability.

If it's a swift, then Waetir will then use cold scorching ray.

Both on the non-held one.
Ray 1 Touch: [roll0]
CC on 20: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] + [roll3] SA.
CD: [roll4]

Ray 2 Touch: [roll5]
CC on 20: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7] + [roll8] SA.
CD: [roll9]

Paragon Badger
2008-07-05, 06:13 PM
Sophiel grimaces in annoyance at the circumstances; a pair of wild beasts... "How troublesome." She murmers.

The angel hoisted the cumbersome glaive from her should and tossed it aside, the weapon's otherworldly energies already dissipating and vanishing into nothingness. Taking flight, she flew towards Rrrlaf and picked the little kobold up, wrapping her arm around its stomach. As contemptable as she found Rrrlaf, the kobold was their connection to its master.

The celestial beat her wings to the ground, making sure to put as much distance between her and the beasts as was neccesary. Saying nothing, the angel merely scanned the area below, looking for any wounded or a place to set the kobold down safely.

No rolls needed, right? Unless Rrrlaf doesn't want to be picked up? <_<

WhiteKnight777
2008-07-07, 04:21 PM
Zariel

Zariel watches as the others assault the black-furred beasts. After a moment, he took to the air, where he made a simple gesture, sending a trio of burning rays into the panther that Waetir was not attacking

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Damage Roll 1 (Half Fire, Half Vile) [roll3]
Damage Roll 2 (Half Fire, Half Vile) [roll4]
Damage Roll 3 (Half Fire, Half Vile) [roll5]

Greyen
2008-07-07, 10:32 PM
Sophiel easily scoops up the surprised Rrrlaf and moves him. He says The Ranha meat! They we brought by the smell! as she flies him around.

Zariel Blasts the other, still moving panther, it howls in pain an confusion. 2 of the three rays slamming into the panther.

The on e panther that can move wobbles shakily on its feat looking around. Crazed with confusion, pain and shock it is unable to react properly.

-New Round-

The second of Waetir's scorching rays blasts into the panther seeming to wake it up a little.

Waetir has already acted this round.

Damage
A-Held 8, 61
B - 94

Frosty
2008-07-08, 07:26 PM
Celeste Guerrier

Celeste walks forward calmly, one hand outstretched and pointing to the held jaguar for theatrics. "Beast of the land, perhaps there may be some use for you after all. You can repace the beast of burden you just felled." With that, she wills forth magic to turn the Dire animal into their friend. She will finish her movement next to the held jaguar.

Charm Monster on the Jaguar that is current Held by the Hold Monster spell. DC28 Will save negates.

Incendius
2008-07-08, 08:31 PM
Excalith

Excalith merely glances to the side as Celeste performs her magic on the beast. Focusing his attention to the still unmesmerized animal Excalith raises his arms and brings them down with tremendous force.

Power Attack for nine on the animal that Celeste isn't trying to charm.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Stun DC 34 [roll2]

WhiteKnight777
2008-07-08, 08:35 PM
Zariel

Zariel nodded in approval as Celeste moved to charm the animal, wearing a small smile on his handsome face. He also watched as Excalith systematically pumelled the remaining creature, and directed another series of fiery rays in that direction

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Greyen
2008-07-09, 01:20 PM
Celeste feels her magic sink deep into the mind of the held Jaguar. It cannot react or do anything else but she can feel the magics are successful.

Excalith again slams into the second Black Cat. It can only stand stunned as it takes the beating.

Zariel's beams burn into the cat, scorching a pair of holes into its hide.

The kobold troops all ready themselves and let fly a volley of crossbow bolts at the mobile cat, peppering it with crossbow bolts. In unisom they begin to reload, a well drilled firing squad.

-Waiting on Sophiel...then new round-

A- Held 7, Charmed, 61
B - Stun 4, 174

Paragon Badger
2008-07-10, 12:16 AM
Sophiel hold tight onto the kobold leader, uninterested by its observation. She simply remained hovering in place, knowing that there was little she could do to match the offensive power of her companions. Besides, they had things well in hand, and the celestial never favored killing anything but the vile of heart. Fearsome as they may be, she did not believe the predators to be evil.

Greyen
2008-07-10, 12:36 AM
----New Round----

Incendius
2008-07-10, 07:10 AM
Excalith

Well at least this will help bleed off some aggression. No sport at all. Maybe the kobolds will eat well tonight. Excalith called jeeringly as he once again brought up his arms to slam them down into the creature.

Power Attack for 9 on the uncharmed one

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Stun DC 34 (in case of a 4 again) [roll2]

Lochar
2008-07-10, 07:50 AM
Waetir

From his own position in the air, Waetir double checks his grip on the homunculus before releasing another set of cold rays at the uncharmed lion.

Should be far enough away and in the air now that SA doesn't count.

A1:[roll0]
CC: [roll1]
D: [roll2] Cold
CD: [roll3]

A2:[roll4]
CC: [roll5]
D: [roll6] Cold
CD: [roll7]

Greyen
2008-07-10, 08:24 AM
The unheld panther drops to the ground, dead. The kobolds all ready their crossbows, aiming at the locked up animal. They look to Rrrlaf for guidance. Calling to him in Draconic as they spread out in a rough circle around it You want us to kill it?

Frosty
2008-07-10, 11:06 AM
Celeste Guerrier

Celeste leads the animal gently, not wanting to appear threatening. She says to all, "Lower your weapons for now. This one will BE friendly to us for the time being. If there something you need it to pull? If we want to keep it alive, we may wish to heal it somewhat as well."

Paragon Badger
2008-07-11, 12:38 AM
Descending softly towards the ground, Sophiel lets Rrrlaf down onto its feet. "I have faith in her magic." The celestial assured the kobolds, "As long as it is not provoked, the beast will remain tame."

Turning to Celeste, "My kind are friends to the natural world; If you could keep it tame with your magic for a few weeks... I may be able to teach it to refrain from sating its hunger without your compulsions, and even to serve our purposes."

As she stroked the back of the animal's neck, Sophiel gave a dry, almost sinister smile as she remarked to her companions, "I find these beasts would make for better companions than most mortals, at least. In simplicity, they are not subject to such things as avarice or hatred."

In other words, a Handle Animal check to domesticate the panther, though Greyen is free to veto, since the PHB says nothing about taming a magically compulsed animal, or an animal that would claw out your throat if it wasn't under a compulsion... :smalltongue:

Greyen
2008-07-21, 03:57 AM
After a few moments the panther unlocks as the hold spell fades away. It looks around warily before leaping into the bushes on the side of the road.

Frosty
2008-07-21, 11:32 AM
Celeste Guerrier

Turning to Rrlaf, she says, "It appears you have lost your Ranhas. Shall we continue on or will you need some special assistance now?"

Greyen
2008-07-21, 12:02 PM
We shall butcher this one and take it home also. We are only a few hours away from the village anyway. Hopefully we will have no more attacks. He turns and barks orders at the other kobolds, who swarm the dead panther and Rahna skinning and swiftly butchering the dead. They make a great mess and are very cheerful in the process. There is a small scuffle over the heart of the dead panther before Rrrlaf intervenes taking the still warm mass of meat the size of a watermelon and presents it to Excalith. The mighty deserve the heart of the fallen as their due. The liver is portioned out amongst the rest of the kobolds and the others of you, The liver is for strength. it is customary to eat of the fallen before it spoils. He begins eating noisily, gore dripping from his chin.

WhiteKnight777
2008-07-21, 04:01 PM
Zariel

Zariel watched the customs of the kobolds closely, noting once again the respect for strength and brute force that seemed to be a hallmark - or at least a respect for power. That would prove quite useful - and perhaps an easy way to convert them to Trual's path, if they could demonstrate his strength to these creatures. they might even prove perfect for creating Trual's idol...

Excellent... we look forward to meeting the rest of your folk. We herald the coming of great things to this world, and I'm sure your folk will be in the forefront of helping us achieve them.

Paragon Badger
2008-07-21, 04:24 PM
"I think not." Sophiel said to the kobold as it presented the panther's liver, "I have enough strength as it is, and my contribution to the battle is not worth such...'praise'."

Looking around, Sophiel seems almost saddened by the panther's affinity for the shadowy depths of the forest around them. "That beast will be saddened when it realizes the fate of its' companion." the angel sullenly remarked.

Greyen
2008-07-22, 05:24 AM
Rrrlaf looks puzzled for a moment at Sophiel before turning away saying If you do not want to be strong... He shrugs and shouts some orders to the troops who begin to drive the ranha down the road once again.

Frosty
2008-07-22, 10:49 AM
Celeste Guerrier

Celeste makes a showing of eating the liver bits. "It's not like we can get sick from this, fellas. Granted, I prefer cooked liver, but this will do in a pinch." she thinks to all of her outsider allies. "One can never be too strong, Rrlaf. Panther liver isn't half bad, but I think I'm too full for any Ranha meat for now."

Greyen
2008-07-22, 01:38 PM
The kobold troop their slow path toward the foothills that you can eventually see as the forests thins into woods and then hills. A few small clearings and breaks in the branches ahead alow you to see steep sharp mountains far on the horizon. The road runs straight only diverting to cross streams at small stone bridges that are very well made and maintained. These bridges bear marks of their dwarven makers on the end caps. A few times you all can catch glimpses of the panther stalking along in the forest, shadowing your footsteps. You all alos notice that occaissionally Rrrlaf moves to the noses of each Ranha feeding them something as they move along.

As the day passes into evening you come to a small fork in the road wher you all turn to the south. A stone pillar carved in draconic marks the edge of kobold territory. The woods are a little denser than you have been traveling in, harkening back to the primordial forest you left earlier that day. As you move south ward you all hear a barking in draconic coming from in the woods to your left, which Rrrlaf answers back with another series of barks. As you all round a bend in the road a steep drop marks the entrance into a cleared area.

Set into a natural bowl the road circles the edge dropping in a spiral to the center where a large cavern opens. There are several smaller caverns set into the couple hundred meter wide depression. You can see a few kobolds venturing about on some ledges but there are just those few seen. Standing at the edge of the bowl, Rrrlaf steps to a large flat stone that is intricately carved at the lip of the bowl. There he takes a striker stone and smacks them together three times like a gavel. We are announced. Come we will put the beasts away and I will take you to [Winged Elder]

WhiteKnight777
2008-07-22, 02:07 PM
Zariel

Concious of their appearance and wanting to make an impression, Zariel follows confidently after Rrrlaf, his wings spread wide, eager to meet this Winged Elder and curious what he will prove to be.

Lochar
2008-07-22, 02:40 PM
Waetir

Waetir takes a better grip on the homunculus before moving forward, allowing his innate invisibility to cover himself and the creation. "I would rather be overly cautious, than loose the creation."

Greyen
2008-07-22, 11:21 PM
As you all reach the floor of the bowl, several other kobolds come out of small caverns near the mouth of the largest cavern. These circle the guards and begin leading the Ranha's away. After a moment only Rrrlaf and yourselves are left.

Rrrlaf begins to lead you down into the mouth of the main cavern. There are no natural lights, but that is not a problem for you. As you decend you can see that the natural lloking cavern mouth is actually a finely crafted facade. The cavern is a worked tunnel. You can see that small but skilled workers have decorated it in fantastic scenes of dragons and kobolds. There are many of them that are of a single kobold fighting amongst gnomes and coming out victorious, Kertlmak the Kobold God-Hero. As the route moves downward several branches and galleries come off the main passage that you travel down. After several hundred feet of downward movement you come to a set of large bronze doors. These are carved into the form of an uprising dragon. Grasping a claw handle Rrrlaf says to you all before entering The [Winged Elder]'s chamber. We go now to present you to him. Please allow me to speak first.

Frosty
2008-07-23, 04:03 PM
Celeste Guerrier

Celeste walks confidently at the side of Rrlaf, happy that they'll have their chance to work with a being of local influence. "There's a lot of kobolds here. If we can convert them all, we'll be much closer to our goal." she thinks to her allies. Pointing to some of the scenes in the tunnel, she says, "Those are some finely-crafted bas-reliefs, Rrlaf. It must be a great hero being depicted for so many gnomes to be defeated."

Greyen
2008-07-23, 11:16 PM
Kurtulmak was the greatest of all kobolds. Rrrlaf says in respectful tones. He qiickly changes gears But now is time to meet the [Winged Elder], keeper of our tribe. Rrrlaf walks the last fes steps to the doors before pushing them open. The Dorrs swing as if on smoothly oiled hinges. They are large enough so that even Excalith can walk through with out stooping.

The chamber beyond is quite large, and very well lit. There are singular chains hanging from the ceiling of the chamber every 20 or so feet with a brightly glowing last link, which shed light on the area. The walls are only partially finished. The walls nearest the doors are the ones most finished, with a slow progression to stone walls that still bear marks of the pickax that origianlly hewed them out. You can see 2 kobold workers chipping and smoothing away midway down one of the walls. The primary feature of the room is the skeletal head of an enormous dragon that has 2 brightly glowing pinpoints of light which seem to bore into you as you approach. The skull is supported by a the usual series of bones which proceed into the floor. The floor behind where the neck emerges from is bare stone, unsmoothed. There you can see the gleaming off-white skeleton, trapped forever in the stone of tha chamber. The winges of the beast make up the back wall. You can see the strong but delicate bones of the wings, partially chipped out. You think that the doors to the chamber may have been an image of this ancient relic of a dragon in its prime. The head, easily 15 feet long, does not move. In fact as you all get closer you can see that while the bones are cut cleanly from the stone, it is all a single piece. The draconic skeleton is fused into a single piece of petrified stone.

Rrrlaf steps into the chamber onto a well worn spot on the stone. He kneels and says [Winged Elder] I bring to you strange and powerful beings. Beings who have helped us finish our paper early and walk among us in their true forms. his small voice echoes through the chamber, the accoustics carrying his coversational tone through out the room. He waits a moment then seems to have a small one sided conversation with himself.
Yes lord.

No lord.

I will, lord. I will see to it.

We are planning a festival lord. These great beings helped fell one of a mated pair of the great forest panthers. The other they charmed and allowed to flee. There is a surplus of Ranha meat also lord which needs to be eaten and stored. The tribe will be greater lord.
He stands and turns to you and says It is time for me to leave. I must make arrangements. When you are done just rap the stone next to the door. He walks out closing the doors behind him.

A moment after he leaves a respectful, deep and all together old and tired voice comes into your minds <Greetings outsiders. You may call me [Winged Elder]. Why do you come as you are into these lands? Why do you interfere with my little tribe?>

WhiteKnight777
2008-07-23, 11:42 PM
Zariel

Zariel examined the massive creature in silence for a moment, taking its measure - it seemed as if he had been right, or at least parially so. But what bound the spirit of the wyrm to its husk? Why did it linger in the mortal world? Was it an accident? Or the will of the thing?

Greetings, [Winged Elder]... We do not mean to interfere, at least not in a way that will bring harm to your tribe. We are... emissaries. Agents from the God Trual - He wishes to manifest Himself in this world and bring it under his guidance... your people seemed well-disposed towards us, so we wished to offer our respect to their leader and discuss the possibility of an alliance.

[roll0]

Frosty
2008-07-24, 12:45 AM
Celeste Guerrier

Giving a respectful bow, the elf-demon explains further their interactions with the kobolds so far. She will show how she only has the best interests of the kobold tribe in mind.

"We do not wish to cause any disturbance within your tribe, Winged Elder. Your people and us happened to be travelling the same way when we were attacked by some squatters in the forest. Our involvement was mainly to defuse the situation so as little of your people died as possible. Our leader Trual prefers to avoid senseless blood-shed and I believe you and your people could benefit much from his teachings. Of course, he is no push over either. If violence is indeed necessary, we are not afraid to use it, as you can see from some of ourmore...burly members."

Diplomacy roll: [roll0] Also, since most of us have True Seeing on, what do we see when we look at the buried skeleton?

Paragon Badger
2008-07-24, 01:31 AM
Sophiel remained silent, furrowing her brow as she let flow into her body the abilities of her kind; those that allow the angels to see things with eyes unclouded.

Giving the Elder a good once-over with Detect Magic, Detect Evil, Discern Lies, and True Seeing. Just curious. :smallwink:

Greyen
2008-07-24, 04:44 AM
@ True Seeing
Looks like a petrified skeleton of a dragon

@Detect Magic
LOTS! Necromancy, Abjuration, Transmutation are the strongest in that order. The skeleton is nearly blinding with power and active or old magics. The walls/floor/ceiling all glow of abjuration and transmutations, some left over evocations tuff there too.

@Discern Lies
No one is lying as far as you can tell.

@Detect Evil
EVIL! You are stunned for 1 round and the spell ends.

Greyen
2008-07-24, 04:55 AM
The two workers look up suddenly and scamper out of the room through the main doorway behind you. Leaving you alone in the chamber with the petrified wyrm skull. The pinpoints of light flicker for a moment and the lighting dims to near darkness.

The voice comes again <Emmisaries from a god. Interesting. I do not care for the actions of the gods, it is they who have imprisoned me here in this stony form for millenia.>

Another voice comes <Hee HEee hee HEEE We've been trapped forever.>

And finally a third can be heard, barely audible in the mental background noise of the other two <My babies, they war! Must protect my babies!>

The primary voice carries on over the others, seemingly unknowingly of them Tell me of this Trual. I have not heard of this GOD.

Lochar
2008-07-24, 08:33 AM
Waetir

Waetir appears, holding the homunculus. Not that is was probably necessary, a being like this most likely could see him anyways. But best to not even look like he was trying to hide. Not when they were speaking with the [Winged Elder]. "Lord Trual is the god of change and continuation, but also that of neutrality. His teachings preach that all should work together, and that no chain should bind a man, except the yoke he chooses on his own. Each of us swore our loyalty to Him, and have been granted new forms and powers, marking us as His servants. But He does not enforce His will over us, we follow Him willingly."

Waetir takes a hand from the homunculus and holds it open towards the skeleton head, showing the spider mark on his palm. "We have come to this Material Plane with a mission to find followers for Lord Trual. Possibly, we could find followers among your people, but we would not wish to do so behind your back, so to speak."

Aid another Diplo for Celeste: [roll0]

Greyen
2008-07-24, 09:10 AM
<The followers of Kurtulmak will not be pleased that you are trying to convert their people. I do not care either way. <New playthings>This is my tribe and they shall do as I tell them to. I do not meddle in their religious affairs though. You can attempt to sway them toward your god but I do not think you will be very successful with out proving first that your god is stronger.><The mines! The war in the mines. My babies are in the mines.> Again the eyes dim for a moment. It continues once more, seemingly more in control <Go now and experience my tribe. I will speak with you again on the rising of the moon tomorrow.>

Paragon Badger
2008-07-24, 10:22 PM
Sophiel stiffened at the sight of the great beast's true nature. Her eyes squinted and she bit her lip as its evil overwhelmed her senses. As it demanded them to leave, the angel staggered away from the undead monstrosity's presence, bracing herself against a wall with one hand the moment she was beyond its sight. Sophiel stood there, catching her breath as she waited for the other outsiders to join her.

"That thing..." She whispered with her own mouth, fearing that it might detect her thoughts, "I have witnessed only one source of evil greater; that of an abyssal lord my legion once had the misfortune of facing... And the magics around it are truly worth the gods' ire."

Rubbing her forehead with the other hand, the celestial sighed. "This being... I find its existence unsettling." She admitted. "I shall commune with our master on this subject..."

Turning to a kobold (if there was one nearby), Sophiel asked, "I require some solitude. Take me someplace where I can meditate."

Greyen
2008-07-25, 09:58 AM
Rrrlaf is waiting outside the chamber. He looks concerned at Sophiel's request but simply says I will take you to the guest chambers. He looks at Excalith and says I am sorry but we do not have anything large enough to accomodate you. We will have to make do for now. We are going to be feasting and celebrating this evening in the bowl.

He then leads you all back out to the bowl and into a large natural opening at the ground level. Just inside the opeing it changes into a finely furnished hall that opens into four chambers, three human sized bedrooms and a bathing area.

WhiteKnight777
2008-07-25, 10:11 AM
Zariel

The diabolic creature looked around at the guest chambers, nodding. It didn't really matter - it wasn't as if he had to sleep. Seems I was both incorrect and correct at once... curious, it seems to have effected our angelic companion most severely. What are your impressions of the creature?

Paragon Badger
2008-07-25, 12:42 PM
"I do not believe that... thing is something we can take lightly." Sophiel remarked as she went over to one of the bedrooms.

"I shall speak with our master of this being's nature." She said, "Have you any questions for the master?"

Lochar
2008-07-25, 12:46 PM
Waetir

"But if it can be converted..." Waetir trails off, thinking. "Ask Lord Trual what would be required for us to release the Elder if he converts to Lord Trual's following. I do not know if you also heard the other voices, but it might be advisable to listen to them. Unbinding the creature, upon it's sworn oath to our Lord, would be a good thing. Remember our second command for this plane."

Frosty
2008-07-25, 01:55 PM
Celeste Guerrier

Celeste looks at Sophiel's worried face. She thinks to her allies, "Let me guess...that thing registered as foul and evil to its very core correct? You'e right. We can't take it lightly, and this is a great opportunity for us. After all, who better to preach to than those who need salvation the most? The choir is already converted. We're heading into the rough neighborhoods to get the rowdy sheep. Now...if I remember correctly, we are to destroy other agents who try to get in our way, but if they are content to let us do our work then we leave them alone even if they don't convert?"

Lochar
2008-07-25, 01:58 PM
Waetir

The water elemental shakes his head. "The immortals that do not convert are to be removed from the world. The mortals were to be left alone if they did not convert, but the immortals were not to be."

Greyen
2008-07-25, 02:05 PM
@Excalith
Having been inadvertantly left outside the guest chambers you can see that there is a great commotion going on outside in the bowl of the kobold home. They are erecting a great fire pit and spit for the meat and smoking racks also. The skins of the great cat, and the two Ranhas have been stretched between saplings and are being studoiusly cared for by tanners. One of the smaller kobolds comes to you and says in broken commom Great Master...you want....ummm...fuuud...trink....sleepy??

Frosty
2008-07-25, 03:46 PM
Waetir

The water elemental shakes his head. "The immortals that do not convert are to be removed from the world. The mortals were to be left alone if they did not convert, but the immortals were not to be."

Celeste Guerrier

"Are we sure that Winged Elder is an immortal? Are we specifically referring to beings that don't die of old age?"

Lochar
2008-07-25, 03:51 PM
Waetir

"He might qualify either way. One voice stated he had been bound for millennia, at the behest of the gods. Conversion to Lord Trual would provide a powerful help, especially if Lord Trual broke his bonds for him. Remember, one of Lord Trual's commandant's is to throw down the chains that bind you. So if this Winged Elder did not choose his binding, should we not work towards his freedom, should he choose to join Lord Trual?"

WhiteKnight777
2008-07-25, 04:41 PM
Zariel

Zariel nodded in agreement with Waetir Indeed. In this we can both follow our Lord's dictates and advance his cause - if, indeed, the creature is not merely playing us, and, of course, if we can find the means to both persuade it and free it.

Paragon Badger
2008-07-25, 10:31 PM
"Our Master may know of the beast's true nature." Sophiel said as she walked into her chambers.

The angel sat down cross-legged on the floor and closed her eyes. From then on, she was silent and unmoving, and for ten full minutes she remained- until she could feel the pressence of her lord.

"Master." She began, "This one bears word of our progress, and questions."

"This one and her companions have come upon a tribe of reptilian beasts and human brigands. The humans number only a score, yet they seem palletable. The little ones are already devout in some god, yet they brought us to their master."

"They serve a powerful being; an immobile draconic lich, one whose body is hewn into the walls of a cavern. It is called the Winged Elder by its diminuitive followers, and it says it has been imprisoned here by the Gods. This one senses immense magic and immense evil, and the creature seems to be of at least three minds."

"Pray tell, Master... What dost thou know of this being we have across?" She finally asked.

Using Commune, of course. :smalltongue:

Greyen
2008-07-26, 12:51 AM
@Sophiel
The answer comes to you Ancient, older than Trual. (OOC- 8 more questions)

Paragon Badger
2008-07-26, 01:50 AM
"Master." She continued, "This one does not believe she and her companions alone could convince such a powerful being to serve you, nor could we release it from its prison in hopes of aiding conversion. Pray tell, dost thou have the knowledge as to how one may undo the being's curse?"

"Of course, we have yet to determine the being's nature; If it cannot be converted, its threat to thy will shall be dealt with. Your commandments are ever in our minds. That is all this one requires, Master."

That was helpful. :smalltongue: Trual is a relatively new god, afterall, though.

Greyen
2008-07-26, 01:56 AM
@Sophiel
Curse of Nature, not Gods.

Paragon Badger
2008-07-28, 01:00 AM
The celestial gave her master a final bow as Trual's presence left her mind. Returning to the other outsiders, she shrugged.

"This being is beyond our master's knowledge, yet our master did tell me that it was not bound here by any gods- rather it's plight is a thing of nature." She related to them, "Still. It is powerful... And I am not fond of it. We cannot predict the being's actions, for it is of a fractured mind. I would destroy it and its servants, if I had faith in our ability to preform such a task. It may be immobile, but I sense great magic within."

Frosty
2008-07-28, 12:59 PM
Celeste Guerrier

Celeste looks back at the direction where the Winged Elder lays trapped. "Are any of us experts with the ways of nature? If not, I wonder how we can begin to research this. Perhaps enlisting the help of a druid of some sort?

Lochar
2008-07-28, 01:14 PM
Waetir

Unless other noted by myself, I am always to be considered have a tight grip on the homunculus. Greyen, please specifically note if this changes.

"I wonder if it is possible to either heal it's fractured mind, or remove the other minds? If we could gain the worship of one of those mind pieces and have it gain true dominance in the mind, we would have it converted. Possibly, the one that thinks it has been shackled by the gods, since Lord Trual said it was a natural process, and not the gods."

Waetir shrugs. "By the way, does anyone have a spell to detect one from listening in remotely, or stop it completely?"

Greyen
2008-07-28, 01:47 PM
@lochar
Noted on the Homonunculous.

Frosty
2008-07-28, 02:50 PM
Celeste Guerrier

She thinks to her allies, "We can communicate mentally instead of telepathically. That'll prevent people from listening in. Otherwise...there's a spell called Zone of Silence, but those are the specialties of bards or beguilers."

Paragon Badger
2008-07-30, 10:18 PM
"I do not care for this being." Sophiel admitted as she crossed her arms over her chest, "I do not believe we can do much to or for it in our current state. Even if the little ones uncover all the stone and earth that entombs it, it may yet be restricted to this cavern."

"I sense that these little beasts are of strong faith, and our time would be better spent among the brigands' kind, in the nearby town." She said, "Let us stay a little while longer, at least. The being expressed that it wished to speak with us tommorow, and we would be wise to exhibit our politeness to this tribe; we may come upon them again."

Greyen
2008-07-31, 07:38 AM
A small pale colored kobold walks ingto the main hallway area and calls out Great Masters, the feast will be ready in another hour. Do you require anything?

Frosty
2008-07-31, 10:29 AM
Celeste Guerrier

Celeste walks up to the pale kobold and looks down, giving a warm smile.

"Yes, do you have any cloth or clothing for our size? My uhh clothes are rather dirty after the scuffle on the road, and I would not like to dishonor you by being un-clean at the feast. If you only have cloth, then I will also require a pair of scissors and perhaps some needles and thread to do my own cutting and sewing."

Thinking to Zariel, Sophiel, and Waetir, she goes, "We also need to think: Is freeing this beast a good idea? If it goes loose and starts terrorizing the surroundings, some of our future followers may die."

Greyen
2008-07-31, 12:10 PM
The kobold bobs her head I will see what we have in the store rooms. She turns and retreats from the area.

Frosty
2008-07-31, 05:52 PM
Celeste Guerrier

Celeste sighs, wishing she had the power to just fabricate materials out of thin air. "So, shall we stay the night or are we excusing ourselves after the feast?

WhiteKnight777
2008-07-31, 06:06 PM
Zariel

Zariel quietly considered their options. at last, he joined in on the telepathic conference. I say we stay the night... perhaps we can find an opportunity to examine more of the beast's nature or do a little searching to find some answers. And if not, we can always seek elsewhere. However, we do not necessarily need to free the beast. After all, it did say it had no objections to our attempts to convert its populace.

Greyen
2008-08-01, 01:48 AM
After short while the pale kobold returns leading a quad of 'bolds carrying a large chest over flowing with clothing. She says Great Masters, this was all taken from human lords that have tried to roust our tribe from our home. Feel free take what you need, it is our pleasure to garb ones such as yourselves. The four kobolds carrying the chest look at you all with fear and set the box down before scurrying out of the chamber. The pale one looks at them go and says Is there anything else you require?

A moment after she has finished her question another set of small feet come running down the tunnel. A kobold pokes his head in and says Great Masters, the large one of your number has left. It spoke of seeking others, 'more his size in the mountains'.

Frosty
2008-08-01, 12:59 PM
Celeste Guerrier

She nods her head in thanks as the pale kobold returns with with the chest full of clothing. "Your assistance is very much appreciated. There are a few more things you can do. If you can find a backpack for each of us, it'd be much appreciated. I'd like to be able to carry around a few sets of clothing hands-free. Secondly, if you've got time, I'd love to ehar more about your history, your heros, and of course, whom you worship. We're very interested in the local culture, and I found your art in the caverns to be fascinating."

Greyen
2008-08-01, 01:39 PM
The pale Kobold says Krttat is my name. I will help you Great Masters as I can. but now I must go assist with the final parts for the feast tonight. Ther you will hear some stories and songs about the greatest Kobolds. Perhaps tomorrow you can seek me out and we can speak more. But if you reallyw ant to know about the greatest of all kobolds you must speak to the Followers of Kurtulmak.

cytokinesis
2008-08-02, 08:43 AM
Excalith

This is assuming that Excalith was left out because he could not fit inside the guest quarters, or the hallways to such.

At the Kobolds stuttering words Excalith allows a smile to alight onto his face; a dreadful one that makes him seem all the more ferocious and devilish, but a smile all the same. Crouching down Excalith replies in a whisper (for him at least) No thank you, scurry away little one. As he finishes his words Excalith reaches out with one of his fingers, in of itself nearly as large as the Kobold, and gently prods the fearful creature away.

Truth to be told, Excalith found the little Kobolds amusing, and wouldn't have minded a good repast, of which was rare in his experience, but he had other things to think of. Excalith, while a spellcaster of sorts, usually looked to more worldy concerns, being as he was first and foremost a soldier. A thought soon occured to him along these lines, and he wished he had not sent his little kobold away, though he might not have been of much help with his speech problems.

Getting up from his crouch, Excalith walked closer to the gathering of Kobolds, not close but not too far away. In his best attempt at a somewhat normal voice, which still reverberated louadly throughout the cavern and into the side tunnels as well, Excalith asked If any of you can understand me, would it be possible for me to look at any maps you have of the world?

Paragon Badger
2008-08-02, 11:22 AM
Sophiel slipped out of Celeste's airy robes, as suddenly as she had first arrived. Pinching the cloth in two fingers, she held them up to the other outsider. "I suppose you'll be wanting this back, now."

The celestial looked away for a moment, almost as if she was hesitant to speak, "They...do not look as appealing when I am wearing them."

"But...thank you?" Sophiel tried to say, yet the celestial uncomfortably shrugged away at the very thought of devils and demons expressing kindness.

Straightening her brow, the angel went over to the chest and picked the first few sets of clothing out of the top of the pile, not caring much for anything except an appropriate size. With a inelegance that seemed just wrong for such a divine being, she methodically dressed herself again. Sophiel began analytically tugging at the plain tunic over her torso, looking somewhat discontent, but she let it pass and arched an eyebrow as she said, "Shall we be off to indulge the little ones in joining their feast?"

Greyen
2008-08-02, 01:28 PM
OOC Retcon-
A moment after she has finished her question another set of small feet come running down the tunnel. A kobold pokes his head in and says Great Masters, the large one of your number has left. It spoke of seeking others, 'more his size in the mountains'. Did not happen.
--------------

Inside the cave - Krttat waits patiently. When the feast is mentioned she says When you are ready I will lead you all to the feasting.

Outside- The group of kobolds that are preparing the skins look up at Excalith and all tremble in fear, the apparent leader of the group, an elderly kobolds says in heavily accented common Great One, the maps are all in the hands of the Followers and Rrrlaf. Maybe you should speak to them after the feasting. It turns its graying head and sniffs the air Which should be ready about now anyway. If you would follow me. He gives a bark in draconic and another kobold goes scurrying down to the guest chambers.

Frosty
2008-08-03, 11:22 AM
Celeste Guerrier

Celeste spends a bit of time looking through the chest, and picks up something elegant but not very impractical: A small tunic and a short skirt on the inside and a longer, silky dress on the outside. Taking the bits of cloth back from Sophiel, she replies, "I am happy to be of assistance, although I believe Zariel found your appearance plenty charming when you wore them. Let us feast with them."

Incendius
2008-08-03, 02:29 PM
Excalith

Excalith simply nods and follows the Kobold in the direction of the feast. He does smile though, which is extremely unnerving to any who view such an unnatural expression, also being his intention.

Greyen
2008-08-04, 05:47 AM
Just south of the main bowl is a small natural ampitheater. In the center is a huge roating pit, where the butchered carcasses of three large animals are currently being cooked on assorted spits and racks. The smoke is being drawn into a great leather tube and pumped, by dog power, into large layered leather hut where small whisps of smoke can be seen sneaking out of, the smokehouse.

A few hundred kobolds are in the ampitheatre, working, playing and cooking. Many of them are blackened or dirty, common signs of the miners. It looks as if the whole clan is here.

You all arrive at relatively the same time, as Excalith and the rest of you have taken separate paths. It is late afternoon and at your arrival the chittering, barking, and low murmur of a crowd of small creatures quites.

Rrrlaf steps out of a knot of kobolds in robes and raises his hands to the crowd [draconic]Great Ones! Family! Tribe! He calls to them all. He turns to a group of elderly looking kobolds who sit closes to the tables already laden with trays and foodstuffs, Elders. He says with respect, and then he turns to the other side of the ampitheatre facing a small group of black robed kobolds with hoods. All that can be seen of them is their protruding snouts Followers of Kurtulmak. he says in a quiet voice.

Then he turns back to face everyone We are here to celebrate and feast! Another paper finished! And the arrival of the Great Ones! [Winged Elder] is pleased and we are to celebrate this day! Let the feasting begin. He drops his hands and from the far side of the fires a small band begins to pick up a tune as kobolds begin to gather around the tables and the fires gathering food and drink.

Rrrlaf walks toward the main group, waving to Excalith to join them, Greetings! It is a great day. Please join our feast! It is our pleasure to show you true kobold hospitality.

Frosty
2008-08-05, 10:20 AM
Celeste Guerrier

The elf-demon, now properly dressed, walks confidently up to Rrlaf. "This feast looks magnificent, surely worthy of any celebration I have had in my world. May Trual shine upon you. Willy ou be very busy tonight or will you be able to tell us about your traditions?"

Greyen
2008-08-06, 01:52 AM
Rrrlaf looks at you all and answers Celeste Enjoy the food and songs first. I will tell the tale of our finding of you Great Ones and then the Followers will come and tell tales of our heroes and history.

Please allow my family to serve you, it would be our honor. A small troop of about ten kobolds, most of them younger stand and come over at a wave from Rrrlaf. He direct a pair to each of you.

Each of you is served in fine, but spicy, foods for the evening. There is great revelry amongst the kobolds.

A little way through the first course a troop of ceremonially decked out kobolds begin a dance. Most are masked as dragons of the various types and have decorative leather harnesses and wings. They dance a thumping, hunger filled dance that emulates the personalities of each of the ten true dragons. Singing of kobold folk songs, most of which have to do with mining and crafting, or dragons, along with more dancing fills the night.

Around midnight, the band is stopped and the black robed priest circle the fire. The begin a low humming drone and begin to sing a dark song about their god Kutulmak. The hour long song brings images of this greatest of Kobolds who founded the a great kobold city. How the city was destroyed by Garl Glittergold and the gnomes. The hatred for gnomekind and how Kurtulmak was given a choice by one of the God Dragons, be risen as a diety or return his city to splendor. Kurtulmak chose to rise as a diety so he could raise all of his kind to greatness. It is a dark story full of betrayal and hatred for gnomes and their treachery. (OOC - See Kobold entries in Races of the Dragon, and other books).

Shortly after the song ends they begin to preach of the greatness of Kurtulmak and how powerful he is. After a few sentences a screamming is heard coming from the main bowl. Help! Help! In the mines! The [Demon Fish] are attacking!

Frosty
2008-08-06, 11:06 AM
Celest Guerrier

Celeste can't help but let out a small whimper of joy as she dines on the meat of the beasts seasoned with spices. "I've always enjoyed spicy food..." she goes as she finishes up a drumstick. As the song about Kurtulmak begins and the cries for help are heard, Celeste sighs. "And here they were getting to the good parts of the song and story. Well, time to get to work."

Getting up and casting Prestidigitation on herself at the same time to clean her oily palms. she looks to a nearby 'bold (or Rrlaf, if he is close). "What is this demon fish? And how may we beat it into submission?" she says with complete confidence.

Paragon Badger
2008-08-06, 11:39 AM
Sophiel did not touch much of her food, taking only a few tiny bites at first, and leaving it alone for much the rest of the feast.

Even during the ceremonies and demonstrations, the celestial seemed at best, only mildly amused. When the commotion regarding an attack occured, Sophiel stood up and made her way to Celeste, passing her and the kobold as she summoned her glaive into being.

Hoisting the weapon onto her shoulder, the celestial walked towards the hall from whence the frightened kobold cried out its warning.

WhiteKnight777
2008-08-06, 11:44 AM
Zariel

Zariel made polite conversation during the feast, quietly sounding out just how devout these kobolds were, and what might be the best way to sway them. As if it were a sign, just as he was thinking that particular thought, the screaming began. As he took wing and headed for the disturbance, he mouthed quietly to himself - "Demon Fish?"

Incendius
2008-08-06, 11:52 AM
Excilath

Throughout the entertainment and such Excilath watched quietly. The tales of battle of war, betrayal and slaughter made his blood boil, made him hunger for something less substantial then food, but he managed to keep himself under control. When the food came Excilath ate oddly for his size, he ate his food daintily, as if he was a fine diner in a great civilized house, and he did not scarf it down as one might expect from a creature of his size.

When the warning came Excilath merely sighed, his blood lust was at a high level anyway, and he might as well endear himself to his hosts with his actions. With his load rumbling voice Excilath said If I fit inside the mines, let me help teach these demon fish that there are other things to fear inside this mountain.

Lochar
2008-08-06, 12:04 PM
Waetir

Waetir shakes his head at Excilath. "We are guests, and our hosts were just speaking of the strength of Kurtulmak. Should not this deity's people take care of the problem?"

Waetir looks over the kobolds. "Or do you require the assistance of the heralds of Lord Trual, a show of our true power, not the small fraction that was seen with the panthers?"

Greyen
2008-08-06, 01:38 PM
@ Anyone questioning "demon fish"? - The nearest kobold turns and says "huge tentacled fish and their minions that we have been fighting in the depths of the mines for many years" (or something to that effect)

The black robed priest nearest you spins and points at you (Waetir) If you are truly as you say then prove it! You and your weak 'Lord Trual' cannot hope to best the [Demon Fish]! Kurtulmak has sent this plague upon this tribe due to its idolatry of [Winged Elder]. The utter disdain pouring out of the small robed kobold is powerful.

He turns and nods to his fellow black robes who begin pulling out ceremonial, but viscious looking, mining picks. As one they clang them against the stones at their feet before beginning a circlar walking chant. You all can feel power rising from the ritual they have begun.

Lochar
2008-08-06, 01:47 PM
Waetir

Waetir smiles calmly, the kobold having said exactly what he wanted him to. "And if we remove this plague, you will accept that Lord Trual is stronger than your Kurtulmak? You will venerate Him, in true belief and love?"

Greyen
2008-08-06, 01:50 PM
The black robed ones keep on with their ritual, a circle of powdered silver is being poured as they move, a low thrumming coming from their throats.

Rrrlaf looks to Waetir If you can remove the [Demon Fish] then the tribe will rejoice in your glory.

Incendius
2008-08-06, 02:01 PM
Excilath

A loud almost deafening laugh escaped from Excilath's lips as he told the black robed priest and all in the cave. It would be our pleasure to take of these fish for you. Truly a fine joke though, it has been a long time since I have been called 'weak'. With that said Excilath simply started to stride in the direction of the direction that was pointed out for the demon fish. As he did so however Excilath rumbled under his breath and drew upon his own infernal energies, preparing himself for battle. He only stopped to take a look at the Kobold's strange ritual before continuing on his way.

Cast Mage Armor and Heroism on himself

Spellcraft check on the Kobold's ritual [roll0] Edit: +2 onto that for Heroism

Lochar
2008-08-06, 02:18 PM
Waetir

Waetir nods to Rrrlaf. "Give us a guide to the entrance to the mines, and we will clear these things for you."

Frosty
2008-08-06, 02:38 PM
@ Anyone questioning "demon fish"? - The nearest kobold turns and says "huge tentacled fish and their minions that we have been fighting in the depths of the mines for many years" (or something to that effect)

The black robed priest nearest you spins and points at you (Waetir) If you are truly as you say then prove it! You and your weak 'Lord Trual' cannot hope to best the [Demon Fish]! Kurtulmak has sent this plague upon this tribe due to its idolatry of [Winged Elder]. The utter disdain pouring out of the small robed kobold is powerful.

He turns and nods to his fellow black robes who begin pulling out ceremonial, but viscious looking, mining picks. As one they clang them against the stones at their feet before beginning a circlar walking chant. You all can feel power rising from the ritual they have begun.

Celeste Guerrier

To the black robed priest, Celeste says, "You have not witnessed the true might of Lord Trual, and because of that your words are forgiven. I am certain that Kurtulmak is strong, but we shall show you what Lord Trual can offer. When we come out victorious, you will see the light."

With that, she flies after Sophiel.

Greyen
2008-08-06, 03:29 PM
Rrrlaf waves over another dirty smudged kobold This is Taktak, he will show you the way. Taktak ducks his head and jogs over the hill into a huge well worn cave entrance.

WhiteKnight777
2008-08-06, 05:19 PM
Zariel

Zariel chuckled softly. It was almost too easy, and he half-suspected a trick... he mused on this quietly as he headed towards the mines with the others. Then again, the kobolds seemed keen to keep their word... Only time would tell, he supposed.

Greyen
2008-08-06, 11:03 PM
Taktak leads you down a slope into a great underground space with many openings leading from it. In the center is a chain driven platform that after he he loads everyone on he begins to lower into the depths of the earth. Working a small crank he is able lower you all several hundred feet in a few minutes. The platform is large enough for three Excaliths if needed. THe engineering expertise is impressive for kobolds.

At the bottom the tunnels are smaller, plenty wide enough but their height is an issue in some spots. Crawling and teleporting short distances is the only way to proceed. You can hear in the distance fighting and screaming of some kobolds and something else. You can also hear the rushing of water.

The air is dank and damp here, unlike the surface where it was dry. The darkness is opressive and the weight of the earth seems to be crushing.

Paragon Badger
2008-08-06, 11:14 PM
"Ugh." Sophiel let out with a groan, "I cannot bear being so...confined."

The celestial closed her eyes, and a divine energy radiated from her body, until she had shrunk down to the size of a adolescent girl in similiar features to the angel, comparable to the kobolds in stature. She nearly tipped over as the weight of the large glaive caught her off-guard. Sophiel tossed it aside, letting the ethereal energies of Trual's plane take it for safe-keeping.

"Lead us, little one." She commanded to taktak, despite her childish appearance and voice.

Change shape to a cute wittle small-sized Sophiel :smallsmile:

Greyen
2008-08-07, 05:19 AM
As Tak Tak leads you deeper into the mines more small branches cut off from the main. One is of particular notice as it is borded up with many kinds of kobold grafitti covering it with the general gist given by the images as "Do not enter. You will be eaten." and "Do not go this way, you will never return".

After a few moments with a final shriek the sounds of fighting dies away. Taktak picks up the pack and you round a corner and look down the slope into a large open cavern. Tere are several branches coming off the wall but the main feature is the pool of water that seems out of place. The water seems to be bubbling up out of the center area of the floor. There are several dead kobolds littered about the area as well as some that seem to stand off to the side wandering aimlessly. Amongst the dead there are several humanoid fish-lizard things and at the center of the pool you can see the large form of a fish like monster. Its tenatcles pull it out of the pool onto the edge, its powerful tail working to assist. The many eyes are black as a night.

[OOC- You all have about 1 round before it spots you. React accordingly.]

@Excalith - Missed that spellcraft check earlier
Ritual of Planar Ally

Incendius
2008-08-07, 07:39 AM
Excilath

Hrrrr, too small for me to fit. A shame. A question for everyone. How do you keep a fish out of water? Excilath merely growls to his companions as he raises his hands and points to the demon fish. A nearly unpronouncable word escapes Excilath's lips as a stream of fiendish red tinged mist escapes his hands and rushes towards the demon fish. The majority of the red tinged mist passes the demon fish by and enters into the lake and the surrounding environs behind the fish, but more then enough stays for everyone to see the shredding and tearing being done by the mist on the fish's hide.

The answer is simple, you poison the water.

Cast Vortex of Teeth, its basically centered in the lake, but with enough of it to cover the Aboleth. It has a 80 ft diameter, and is 20 feet high.

Damage [roll0]

Lochar
2008-08-07, 07:58 AM
Waetir

"Lord Trual, bring your divine might here, that we may remove these creatures and your worship will grow strong!" Waetir waves a hand, and a pillar of blue flame, extruding a horrendous cold, descends on the creature in the center.

Cold sub'd flame strike. Dealing [roll0] points of damage, half cold, half divine and not subject to resistance. Supernatural, so it bypasses spell resistance.

Paragon Badger
2008-08-07, 10:24 AM
Sophiel's child-like form had a smirk on her face, the expression remaining constant as she changed shape back into her adult, angelic form.

Beating her wings, the celestial bolted towards the beast, opening her fist wide to bash the creature with her palm. She had little time to summon her glaive, figuring surprise was her best weapon at the moment.

Full-Round: Flying Charge!

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Frosty
2008-08-07, 10:24 AM
Celeste Guerrer

"Has Lord Trual imparted to any of you knowledge about what this thing is and whether or not it has any special defenses?" she asks mentally to her allies as looks at the beast and sends forth a blast of evocation. A scintillating sphere of electricity goes out and blasts the fish demon before Sophiel gets there.

Celeste stays in the back and casts Empowered Fireball (subbed electricity) as a SLA at the fish thing. DC 27 reflex for half. I'll roll damage next post.

Frosty
2008-08-07, 10:53 AM
Gogo electricity damage on a water creature! 1.5*[roll0] equals 58 electricity damage.

Greyen
2008-08-07, 11:09 AM
With the united onslaught of mystical otherworldly power the [Demon Fish] is veritaby frozen and fried "fish and chips" in the passing of a moment. The loose kobolds snap out of their daze. The minions turn to see where the magical death is coming from.

[OOC-waiting on Zariel before they can do anything]

WhiteKnight777
2008-08-07, 11:16 AM
Zariel

The dark angel smiled wickedly, tossing a fireball almost casually into the mix to give the fish-creatures something else to think about.

Fireball SLA

[roll0]

Greyen
2008-08-07, 11:27 AM
The final blast finishes off the last few surviving lizard-fish things. TakTak barks out to his fellow miners and they come running over. They start chattering about how the "[Demon fish] opened the hole in the floor and their minions started pouring out of the hole. Now the mine is flooding. Something must be done!" While another is busy mourning the fallen, and the other is still wandering about dazedly.

[end combat]

After a moment Taktak looks to the group and says But that is only a young one! How many came at first? Three of the big ones, they left this one behind when we attacked.

Paragon Badger
2008-08-07, 11:32 AM
Sophiel rubbed the back of her neck, healing any of the wounds she had taken during the chaos with her divine power.

"To where did they flee? -into the water?" She asked half-heartedly as the celestial checked her body for any more injuries.

Frosty
2008-08-07, 12:17 PM
Celeste Guerrer

Walking up to Rrlaf while loosening her shoulders, Celeste demands, "Lead us to where the rest of the monsters are. We will protect as many kobolds as possible."

Incendius
2008-08-07, 03:15 PM
Excalith

(This is all assuming that the hole they drilled is somewhere in the cavern)

At the Kobold's words of fear about the present condition of the mine Excalith grunted. Turning away he moves into the cavern, squeezing himself through the places that he could. Reaching through the cavern, he locates the largest stalagmite/stalactite he can. Bringing up his massive fists Excalith first pounds with a tremendous force at the very base of the protruding rock, and then he proceeds to wrenches it with all of his considerable force as he calls out to the Kobolds. Show me the way to this hole in the cavern. Now.

Excalith's intent with his attack is to weaken the base of the Stalactite/Stalagmite so that it is easier to wrench free, hopefully by producing cracks around the base. Then he attempts to push/wrench it so that the majority of it comes along with him.

Power Attacking Sunder/Attack against the Stalactite/Stalagmite base
[roll0]

Damage [roll1] (I forgot previously that having one natural weapon gives it a +1 and 1/2 strength to damage, is why its a bit more then last time)

Strength Check [roll2]

Greyen
2008-08-08, 01:57 AM
[OOC - Describing the room again incase I wasn't clear]

It is a roughly circular area about 50- 70 feet across with a 20-25 foot ceiling. In the center of the room, slowly filling in a small depression is a 13-15ft wide hole in the floor. The aboleth was coming up out of this hole as did the skum minions. The water coming out of the hole is slowly filling the room and looks like it will slowly begin to flood the mines if left unchecked.

Sophiel is unhurt, but there are 6 dead kobolds and 3 more who are ok physically. One of the three is still having confusion problems. Taktak is not included with these.

Excalith - are you making yourself a stone club? Or some other tool? You are easily successful in collecting a large stalactite.

Taktak looks to you all The [Demon Fish] live in the Undersea. I can lead you to the tunnel that leads to the [Undersea] but I will go no further. His eyes speak of true fear of the [Demon Fish]. He turns and begins to lead the way down one of the tunnels that comes off this main room.

WhiteKnight777
2008-08-08, 02:04 AM
Zariel

Zariel nodded in agreement with Celeste, thinking that this would make an excellent goodwill gesture, and further prove the superiority of Trual. Indeed... lead onwards, and we will do what we can to aid you and your fellows against the foul invaders that dare to usurp your tunnels. We shall further demonstrate the might of Lord Trual, as exemplified through us.

Incendius
2008-08-08, 08:25 AM
Excalith

(Not Exactly, I'm simply plugging the hole. And if this Stalactite wasn't enough, well there's plenty in the room to help fill it.)

I shall come with you in a few moments. While I don't mind dealing death, drowning seems such a horrible waste. Even a pointless battle serves to strengthen the survivors. Excalith growls as he squeezes over to the hole in the floor and places the stalactite next to the whole. Then he goes and repeats this process of gathering stalactites and stalagmites as much as he deems necessary before attempting to use his tremendous strength to plug the hole with them. If he succeeds, Excalith will also pile several further stalactites/stalagmites on top of the plugged hole so that the plug will not come off as easily.

Frosty
2008-08-08, 01:17 PM
[OOC - Describing the room again incase I wasn't clear]

It is a roughly circular area about 50- 70 feet across with a 20-25 foot ceiling. In the center of the room, slowly filling in a small depression is a 13-15ft wide hole in the floor. The aboleth was coming up out of this hole as did the skum minions. The water coming out of the hole is slowly filling the room and looks like it will slowly begin to flood the mines if left unchecked.

Sophiel is unhurt, but there are 6 dead kobolds and 3 more who are ok physically. One of the three is still having confusion problems. Taktak is not included with these.

Excalith - are you making yourself a stone club? Or some other tool? You are easily successful in collecting a large stalactite.

Taktak looks to you all The [Demon Fish] live in the Undersea. I can lead you to the tunnel that leads to the [Undersea] but I will go no further. His eyes speak of true fear of the [Demon Fish]. He turns and begins to lead the way down one of the tunnels that comes off this main room.

Celeste Guerrier

Following Taktak, she asks, "So we must go into the water to fight this Demon Fish thing? This shall be interesting."

To all of her allies, she asks again mentally, "Anyone know anything about the things we'll be fighting? Since I don't know anything, I was just going to shock them all to death in the water."

Greyen
2008-08-08, 04:37 PM
Ecalith's efforts greatly slow the inrushing water but cannot seal the hole completely.

Taktak leads you to another tunnel which is downright wet. There is lcien and molds growing here. The smell of fungus is strong. Very faintly you can heal the lapping of waves. Taktak stops at the edge of a puddle in the tunnel and then points down the tunnel, he is literally shaking with fear, unable to speak.

Paragon Badger
2008-08-08, 10:29 PM
Sophiel turns to Taktak, contemptously furrowing her brow at the assumedly evil creature's cowardice. "Have no fear, little one." She said, "For you shall bear witness to the supreme divinity of our master. It is within us that his power is expressed."

Summoning her glaive and hoisting the heavy thing onto her shoulder, she walked forward into the tunnel, keeping a vigilant eye out for the kobolds' enemies.

Activating Detect Magic, True Seeing, Detect Evil and all that jazz, plus looking around.
Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

Frosty
2008-08-10, 12:27 PM
Celeste Guerrier

"Tak Tak, the BIG demon fish is down that way? If so, we will go there and destroy it."

Greyen
2008-08-10, 04:35 PM
Yes, yes they live in the [undersea] The little kobold nods vogorously. He looks a little pale but seems to have better control over the fear with your confidences.

Incendius
2008-08-10, 04:52 PM
Excalith

Might be a bit annoying getting to them if they go into the pools, I can do many things but breathing under water isn't one of them. Still, perhaps my teleportation abilities will help in that respect. Excalith growls as he catches up with the group, and as once again a tinge of reddish glow surrounds his body.

Shrugging his shoulders Excalith says I may as well go first then. as he walks into the cavern, nonchalent to any threats that may be within.

Cast Heroics: Improved Trip