PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Converting your Character: Part 3 - Complete Warrior

SamTheCleric
2008-06-27, 07:30 AM
A new set of "kits"...

When it comes to converting characters from 3.5 to 4th Edition, we’ve previously stated that “there's no conversion guide that could adequately cover the vast array of options that have been published over the lifespan of the game.”

That said, we also recognize that if you don’t wish to set aside your favorite character in order to start up a new 4th Edition campaign, some amount of conversion will be attempted. To that end, Andy Collins put together the following recommendations for playing your favorite 3.5 character in 4th Edition.

This week, we look at those classes from the Complete Warrior.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Swashbuckler
This character is best translated as a trickster rogue (Player's Handbook p117), becoming a true striker rather than an odd (and underpowered) hybrid between defender and striker. Swashbucklers preferring two weapons could also consider the two-blade ranger build (p104), or simply select feats that enhance this fighting style.

Hexblade
This class mixes melee combat with spellcasting, but definitely favors the blade over the hex. Thus, the great weapon fighter build (p76) is probably a good base class/build selection, adding multiclass warlock feats to round out the spellcasting. Call your Combat Challenge class feature a “Hexblade’s Challenge” in order to change its flavor to something a bit more supernatural; or, if your DM is willing to experiment, you could trade Combat Challenge for the paladin’s Divine Challenge, re-flavoring it in the same manner.

Alternatively, you could start with the scourge warlock build (p130), adding multiclass fighter feats, armor training feats, and the like to craft a striker who’s durable enough for melee combat.

Samurai
The archetypal samurai fits best into the defender role, and thus works well as a fighter. Call your greatsword a katana and use the great weapon fighter build (p76) build, or ask your DM if you can treat your off-hand short sword (or wakizashi) as a shield for the purposes of the various powers that go well with the guardian fighter build (p76).

For a slightly off-beat solution, use the two-blade ranger build (p104) and play your samurai as more of a two-weapon-wielding striker. Then use feat selections to add fighter powers and to improve your armor, if desired.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that’s Complete Warrior. Join us next time for a look at classes from the Player's Handbook II!

Interesting that the next book is the PHB2... beguiler will be interesting.

Crow
2008-06-27, 11:03 AM
Katana equals Greatsword now. I sense another katana thread prohibition at the WotC boards soon...

hamishspence
2008-06-27, 03:11 PM
Personally, I liked the "off beat" suggestion of making samurai into rangers. It gives you the awesome (but not entirely realistic) twin sword theme. And, it gives you the rider, bow shooting theme. The Way of Horse and Bow.

Asmodeus
2008-06-27, 04:23 PM
Personally, I liked the "off beat" suggestion of making samurai into rangers. It gives you the awesome (but not entirely realistic) twin sword theme. And, it gives you the rider, bow shooting theme. The Way of Horse and Bow.

I've always seen a Samurai as more of a Striker than Defender anyways, so the Ranger really makes sense to me.