PDA

View Full Version : General Homebrew request, 4E/3E conversions

EvilElitest
2008-06-29, 09:59 AM
right, now as i'm sure your all aware that 4E has come out, and some people like it and some people don't. Now 4E is radically different from 3E, for better or worst, and now homebrews are being made for both systems. So just a general request, could you please when you make a new race or monster, just convert it to the other edition's version please, because i know that when i see a niffty 4E monster, i fee rather upset because i can't use it in my games with 3E, and i'm sure 4E people feel the same. Please, just for general clarity' sake. I realize this is most likely very difficult and in terms of balence it might be a pain, but it would be very nice all around
from
EE

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-06-29, 10:23 AM
While a decent idea, this has several big problems behind it:

1: Some ideas are not really compatible cross system. Prestige classes have far more in them than Paragon paths, for example, and a conversion leaves much to be desired.

2: As you said, it's a LOT of work, especially for a base class.

3: I know I'm not ready to homebrew 4e, and I doubt I ever will be. Numerous other people are in the same situation--we don't know a system well enough to design for it, whether it's 4e or 3.5.

I'd suggest that it's probably easier and more effective if you simply learn to balance a conversion yourself, as I don't really see this catching on, nice though it might be for people who need both systems. I know that if I see something cool from 4e, I'll just whip up a conversion myself...sure, it's time consuming, but I don't see any way around it.

EvilElitest
2008-06-29, 10:53 AM
NO i mean only for races and monsters, the rest of the stuff to too confusing and should be left up to individuals
from
EE