PDA

View Full Version : Combat Discipline [Feat]

Abjurer
2008-06-30, 07:56 PM
Just a crazy idea I came up with. It's extremely abusable, I know.

| Combat Discipline [GENERAL]
|
| Prerequisites: Concentration 8 ranks
|
| Benefits: Through superior focus and training, you are able to concentrate
| on tasks that would normally be impossible to perform while distracted. You may
| take 10 on skill checks even when threatened or distracted.
|
| Normal: You cannot take 10 on skill checks when threatened or distracted.
|
| Special: This feat can be taken as a fighter bonus feat.

It might be a bit better if I limited it to certain skills.
Namely, balance and jump; that kind of thing.
That's what it was originally intended for.

It might work well as class ability too.

Also, it definitely needs another prerequisite or two.

Any ideas?

JackMage666
2008-06-30, 08:53 PM
Seems a bit overpowered. OK, quite overpowered. The Rogue's Skill Mastery level 10 ability does the same thing, except only to a smaller number of skills. As well, it's gained at level 10 (at the earliest), while your feat is gained at level 5 at the earliest. I'd say you might be able to make this work, if you make it so it only applies to one specific skill. That might not be broken.

Abjurer
2008-07-01, 08:22 AM
By gum. I guess I just don't play enough rogues. Or high-level ones at least.

Stycotl
2008-07-02, 08:14 AM
if i were the one doing it, i'd bump the prereqs up to 15th level or so, with a couple of good feats required for good measure (hmm, iron will, either combat expertise or combat casting, and... um, something else) and then just keep it as it is: take 10 on any concentrate check.

Zenos
2008-07-02, 08:42 AM
What about making it a combat form feat, so he has to be in Combat Focus to use it? The Combat Form feat line is in the PHB2.

RandomFellow
2008-07-02, 09:49 AM
I'd suggest limiting it to two skills and raising the Concentration skill requirement to 11 ranks. The Rogue Class Ability gives 3 + Int Mod skills that you can always take 10 on.

Abjurer
2008-07-02, 09:17 PM
What if it's for one skill, and you have to have 8 ranks of concentration and 8 ranks of the skill for which you wish to take the feat?

insecure
2008-07-05, 02:25 PM
What if it's for one skill, and you have to have 8 ranks of concentration and 8 ranks of the skill for which you wish to take the feat?

That seems fine to me. I know that it probably wasn't me you asked, but then again, that's just mine opinion.