PDA

View Full Version : Because Psychoportation deserves more awesome.

pyrefiend
2008-07-01, 11:33 AM
Reactive Teleport
Psychoportation
Level: Psion/Wilder 4, Psionic Warrior 3
Display: Mental
Manifesting Time: One Immediate Action
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Power Points: 5

Whenever a creature makes a melee attack against you, you may manifest this power as an immediate action to teleport a short distance away, avoiding the attack. When you manifest this power, you and the attacker roll an opposed initiative check; if the attacker succeeds he manages to hit you before you teleport away. In that case, you take damage as normal and must succeed on a concentration check (10+damage taken) or fail to teleport at all. The aforementioned initiative check has no effect on the normal initiative count which determines the order of turns. You may not teleport farther than 10 feet away as a result of this power; if your movement ends in a square also targeted by the melee attack, the enemy must still succeed on an attack roll to hit you.
Augment: For every two additional power points spent, you may teleport an additional five feet.

Disorient
Psychoportation
Level: Nomad 1
Display: Visual
Manifesting Time: One standard action
Range: Close (25 feet+ 5 feet/2 levels)
Target: One Corporeal Creature
Duration: See Text
Saving Throw: Will
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 1

You teleport a single creature into a less steady position in it's own square, rearanging it so it stands at an odd angle and it faces the opposite direction. The targeted creature must succeed on a will saving throw or become disoriented and suffer a -1 penalty to attack rolls and -2 penalty to armor class for one round.
Augment: For every two additional power points spent, you may target an additional creature. No two targets may be farther than 15 feet apart. You may extend the range of this power by ten feet for every additional power point you spend, and increase the saving throw DC by one for every two extra power points spent.

Dimensional Swap, Hostile
Psychoportation
Level: Psion/Wilder 4, Psionic Warrior 4
Display: Mental
Range: Close (25 feet+ 5 feet/two levels)
Target: You and one creature in range, or any two creatures in range; see text
Saving Throw: Will negates
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 7

You instantly swap locations between your current location and that of a designated creature in range, who need not be willing. Alternatively, you can swap the positions of any two creatures in range. This power affects creatures of large or smaller size. You can bring along objects, but not other creatures.
Augment: For every two additionally power points you spend, you may affect a target of one size category larger.

Disintegrating Touch
Psychoportation
Level: Nomad 3
Display: Mental and Auditory
Range: Touch
Target: One corporeal creature
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial; see text
Power Resistance: Yes (object)
Power Points: 5

You reach out and disperse some of the matter making up a creature or object, Dealing 6d4 damage to that target. On a successful save, the target takes only 1d4 damage.
Augment: For every additional power point you spend, the damage this power deals to a subject that fails its saving throw increases by 1d4 points. Augmenting this power does not change the amount of damage the target takes if it succeeds on its saving throw.
If you expend an additional 4 power points, you can disintigrate creatures and objects completely with this power. If the damage dealt is enough to bring the target to 0 or less hit points, it disintegrates completely, leaving nothing behind but a small pile of dust. A disintegrated creature’s equipment is unaffected. When used against an object, your touch simply disintegrates as much as one 5-foot cube of nonliving matter. Thus, the power disintegrates only part of any very large object or structure targeted. Your touch has no effect on objects constructed entirely of force or psionic effects such as a null psionics field.

More to come!:smallsmile:

Scaboroth
2008-07-01, 01:47 PM
Nice to see psionics getting some love!
Just a nitpick about "Disintegrating Touch" though... you list it as "Range: Touch" but refer to a ray in the text. Also, isn't 10d6 for a 3rd level power a bit... excessive?

Innis Cabal
2008-07-01, 01:50 PM
most listed powers for 3rd level are 5d6

I understand that disintegrate is under psychoportation, but a disintegrate at level 3 is...well....i would call it well and truely unbalanced, and the augmentation just...again the whole thing should be taken out, to powerful to soon when stacked against the psychokensis(the highest of which is 5d6, and looking at their damage progression it goes up by 2 for every level)

pyrefiend
2008-07-01, 04:11 PM
All right, a second look at Disintigrating Touch reveals that it is completely overpowered. I dont think it's beyond saving though. I'll try to fix it now.

EDIT: OK, how does it look now?

Innis Cabal
2008-07-01, 04:35 PM
i'd honestly bump the disentigrate up by 2 more PP, just me, but much much more balanced as it stands then from before

Chronicled
2008-07-01, 05:21 PM
Disorient is overpowered. I like the Reactive Teleport a lot.

Innis Cabal
2008-07-01, 06:58 PM
totally missed that one. There are no rules for flying upside down for starters. Remove the prone and its...powerful but alright

pyrefiend
2008-07-01, 08:27 PM
Well, I pretty much just changed it completely. That's more how I intentioned it anyway. How do you think it is in terms of balance?

Innis Cabal
2008-07-01, 10:51 PM
again, alot better

Chronicled
2008-07-02, 12:00 AM
I would let it be augmented for more distance and for more penalty.

pyrefiend
2008-07-02, 12:14 AM
I would let it be augmented for more distance and for more penalty.
Yes, that makes sense. I'll change it now, thanks for the advise.
Also, here are some of the new psychoportation powers I promised!

High Speed Flight
Psychoportation
Level: Nomad 5
Target: Self
Duration: One minute/level
Power Points: 9

Your mastery of psychoportation allows you to sacrifice control to fly at great speed. You fly at a speed of 100 feet per round (or 70 feet if you wear medium or heavy armor, or if you carry a medium or heavy load). You can ascend at half speed and descend at double speed, but your maneuverability is poor. The somewhat turbulent nature of your flight forces you to make concentration checks to manifest powers or cast spells. The DC is 15.

Vacuum Blast
Psychoportation
Level: Nomad 4
Display: Auditory
Range: Close; (25 feet+ 5 feet/2 levels)
Saving Throw: See text
Power Resistance: No

You psionically disperse the air around a targeted creature, then watch as it rushes back in to fill the vacuum you created. The target takes 7d4 damage from the concussive force of air hitting him on all sides, half if he succeeds on a reflex save. In addition, the target must succeed on a will save or become dazed. Fire and Air elementals suffer a -2 to their reflex save. This power has no effect unless the target is surrounded by air or gasses of similar consistency.
Augment: This power deals an additional 1d4 damage for every extra power point you spend. For every two points you spend in this manner, the save DC increases by 1.

Chronicled
2008-07-02, 12:35 AM
Yes, that makes sense. I'll change it now, thanks for the advise.
Also, here are some of the new psychoportation powers I promised!

High Speed Flight
Psychoportation
Target: Self
Duration: One minute/level

Your mastery of psychoportation allows you to sacrifice control to fly at great speed. You fly at a speed of 100 feet per round (or 70 feet if you wear medium or heavy armor, or if you carry a medium or heavy load). You can ascend at half speed and descend at double speed, but your maneuverability is poor. The somewhat turbulent nature of your flight forces you to make concentration checks to manifest powers or cast spells. The DC is 15.

Vacuum Blast
Psychoportation
Level: Nomad 4
Display: Auditory

You psionicly disperse the air around a targeted creature, then watch as it rushes back in to fill the vacuum you created. The target takes 9d4 damage from the concussive force of air hitting him on all sides, half if he succeeds on a reflex save. In addition, the target must succeed on a will save or become dazed. Fire and Air elementals suffer a -2 to their reflex save. This power has no effect unless the target is surrounded by air or gasses of similar consistency.
Augment: This power deals an additional 1d4 damage for every extra power point you spend. For every two points you spend in this manner, the save DC increases by 1.

I should have been clearer; I meant that the penalty to AC/hit should be increased with more power points. However, increasing the DC is more important anyways.

The new ones look pretty good.

Holocron Coder
2008-07-02, 01:10 AM
Nitpicks:

The spell Dimensional Swap, Hostile has the line 'You can bring along objects, but not other creatures.' in it twice.

It's spelt 'psionically', not 'psionicly'.

Otherwise, cool :smallsmile: I haven't studied psionics enough to see the gap these fill 'n' all, but they look nice.

pyrefiend
2008-07-02, 01:05 PM
Nitpicks:

The spell Dimensional Swap, Hostile has the line 'You can bring along objects, but not other creatures.' in it twice.

It's spelt 'psionically', not 'psionicly'.

Otherwise, cool :smallsmile: I haven't studied psionics enough to see the gap these fill 'n' all, but they look nice.

Thanks for noticing that, I'm fixing it now and I'll probably have a few more powers up later today.

Baron Corm
2008-07-02, 01:39 PM
Reactive Teleport makes all psions immune to melee attacks, with an immediate action. I would make it so that the psion cannot use any actions for the round after they use this power, or offer some sort of opposed check or saving throw.

pyrefiend
2008-07-02, 05:45 PM
Reactive Teleport makes all psions immune to melee attacks, with an immediate action. I would make it so that the psion cannot use any actions for the round after they use this power, or offer some sort of opposed check or saving throw.

I agree. When I created the power, I wanted to put some sort of opposed check in there, but nothing seemed to fit so I just kept it as it was. Now that I think of it though, perhaps an opposed initiative check would be aporpriate? If the attacker succeeds, he hits the psion before he telports away. I've never seen an opposed initiative check used in the middle of a battle, but I think it makes sense in this context.

Edit: How does it look now? It's sort of badly phrased, I know, but I couldn't figure out a better way to explain it.

Baron Corm
2008-07-02, 08:21 PM
The way you're saying it, it still only allows the attacker one attack... in my opinion it should be a higher spell level (eight maybe) and if you lose the opposed initiative check, specify that the attacker gets his full round of actions against you. That might be a little harsh, and I don't play psions, but there's my opinion. Given the way I explained it, I would still take it on every psion I made who had a decent initiative.

pyrefiend
2008-07-02, 09:22 PM
The way you're saying it, it still only allows the attacker one attack
Not necessarily. If the attacker succeeds, and the psion doesn't manage to teleport away, there's no reason the attacker can't continue to attack.

in my opinion it should be a higher spell level (eight maybe)
I can see maybe making it one level higher, but I don't understand why it's possibly powerful enough to be level eight. Bend Reality is an eighth level power, and it pretty much let's you do whatever you want within some fairly loose restrictions. Reactive Teleport lets you dodge one attack, maybe and travel such a short distance that the enemy will just run up and attack you again anyway, if you manage to travel at all.

pyrefiend
2008-07-02, 09:31 PM
Also, here's another power, psychoportation as always.

Erratic Teleport
Psychoportation
Display: Auditory and Mental
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 round/2 levels

You fill the target with dangerous amounts of unstable psionic energy, forcing it to teleport in a random direction each round. Every round after you manifest this power, at the beginning of the target’s turn, it must succeed on a will save or teleport a distance equal to (this power’s saving throw DC-target’s will save) ×10 feet. It travels in a random direction as determined by a roll of the d8.
Augment: For every six additional power points you spend, you may target another creature with this power. No two targets may be further than 15 feet apart at the time this power is manifested

Lorien077
2008-07-03, 12:51 AM
I loooove reactive teleport. Keeps those darned frenzied berserkers that always try to kill me (a party member) from one-shotting me... maybe. :P
My only whine is the Vacuum Blast power's damage output. I know it only does d4s, but the vast majority of psionic powers do 1 dice of damage per power point spent. So I guess I'm mostly curious as to why this one is different. The flavor is sweet on this one btw. :)

pyrefiend
2008-07-03, 06:39 AM
I loooove reactive teleport. Keeps those darned frenzied berserkers that always try to kill me (a party member) from one-shotting me... maybe. :P
My only whine is the Vacuum Blast power's damage output. I know it only does d4s, but the vast majority of psionic powers do 1 dice of damage per power point spent. So I guess I'm mostly curious as to why this one is different. The flavor is sweet on this one btw. :)

Well, I may be wrong, but I believe that all the powers that deal 1 dice per power point affect an area and thus multiple targets, whereas vacuum blast targets only one creature.

Lorien077
2008-07-03, 11:12 PM
I don't think that's true, maybe I'm missing all the good single target powers, but even Crystal Shard and Energy Ray are one damage dice per power. The trend I see is the higher the level the more targets it can effect. I see you have a couple of status effect type things that can kick in, so the d4 seems the best damage die, but I would scale it down to one die per power point. But its your power and doesn't look broken or anything. :)

pyrefiend
2008-07-04, 10:27 AM
I don't think that's true, maybe I'm missing all the good single target powers, but even Crystal Shard and Energy Ray are one damage dice per power. The trend I see is the higher the level the more targets it can effect. I see you have a couple of status effect type things that can kick in, so the d4 seems the best damage die, but I would scale it down to one die per power point. But its your power and doesn't look broken or anything. :)

No, you're right, I didn't see the single-target powers. It should be only one die per level.