PDA

View Full Version : The Lycan (4e update)

Blackdrop
2008-07-02, 05:56 PM
RACIAL TRAITS
Average Height: 5' 2"- 6' 1"
Average Weight: 120-190 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity
Size: Medium
Speed: 7 Squares
Vision: Darkvision

Languages: Common, choice of one other
Skill Bonuses: +2 Nature, +2 Religion
Claws of the Wolf: Unarmed attacks made with you claws do 1d6 damage.
Lycan Reflexes: You gain a +2 racial bonus to Reflex saves.
Howl of the Beast: You can use Howl of the Beast as an encounter power

Howl of the Beast
With a menacing look, you howl a horrible howl, and all who call themselves your enemy, tremble in fear and agony
Encounter* Fear, Force
Minor Action-----Close burst 3
Targets: All creatures in area
Attack: Intelligence + 2 vs Reflex, Wisdom + 2 vs Reflex, or Charisma + 2 vs Relfex
Hit: 1d4 + Charisma modifier damage force damage
Increase to +4 Bonus and 2d4 + Charisma modifier damage at 11th level, and to +6 bonus and 3d4 + Charisma modifier damage at 21st level
Special: A target hit by this attack is immobilized until the end of your next turn.

Racial Feats:
Heroic Tier

Sharpened ClawsLycan
Prerequisites: Lycan
Benefit: Unarmed attacks made with your claws is increased to 1d8 damage.

Widened Howl of the BeastLycan
Prerequisites: Lycan, Howl of the Beast racial power
Benefit: When you use your Howl of the Beast, you can choose to make it burst 5 instead of burst 3.

Lycans

The Lycan race is relatively young when compared to the humans, elves, hobgoblins and dwarves. They were not some horrible side product of nature. Their past lies in the powers of the divine and in tragedy.

Many centuries ago the foul god Wolfen(this is going to change as soon as I think up a better name) chose his favorite beast from the mortal world, wolves, and gave many of them a curse. A curse that whoever they bit would become like them when night-fell. He sent these cursed creatures into the oblivious world below. And he waited.

Decades passed and stories rose of strange creatures. Creatures that could assume a normal form by day and a wolf-like one by night. These stories were passed off as nothing more than stories. Until a village in the kingdom of Thamlor(from my up coming campaign) was ransacked, most of it's inhabitants killed, and the survivors infected with the curse.

Thamlor(a god from my campaign) decided to deal with these creatures himself, until he realized that their curse was divine in nature. He then decided to dispatch a group of paladins from his temple to deal with the wolfmen.

The plan went smoothly. The paladins arrived at the village and slaughtered all but one of the wolves. The last one ran into the forest. The paladins pursued the creature, who seemingly had control over when he transformed, for three days. When they finally caught the beast, they were exhausted and in no condition to fight. The wolfman didn't care and attacked the group anyway, but he didn't attack to kill. He attacked to infect.

The werewolf incapacitated the paladins and fled. When they awoke they could feel their sanity slipping away. The god Thamlor, feeling responsible for what had happened to them, did everything in his divine power to ward off the foul curse. When Wolfen realized what he was doing he fought back. He hit the paladins with an extra strong curse. One that would forever hold them in the form of a wolf. With the power of two divine curses the paladins ceased being human and became the lycans.

Over time, evolution, with some divine prodding, helped lift the curse. They regained the ability to walk on their hind legs and even regain humanoid thumbs. Their biggest challenge to overcome: reteaching themselves to speak in human tongue.

Primal Fury
2008-07-02, 07:56 PM
:biggrin: heeeee... this makes me want to play 4th edition. good on ya.

Ceiling009
2008-07-02, 08:24 PM
I think you could drop the +2 reflex defense, as saves are just saves... against something. You already have an auto +1 to fort and reflex, so I don't think you need more reflex defense.

The other thing, the claws are cool, but... eh, but you gain no proficiency and no bonuses to unarmed attacks; unless you're a monk (or whatever is altered to be a monk).

Also, are these like werewolves, or are they just like hybrid man wolves? cause then the racial power should be the whole morphing between man, hybrid, and beast.

Kiren
2008-07-02, 08:54 PM
God names: Luke, Lupio, Lyice, Lupe, Lycan *Obvious* Werek, Werin. Lyrik.

I liked lycantropes, to bad templates were taken from the game, good race, I haven't balance checked it though.

Blackdrop
2008-07-02, 09:09 PM
I think you could drop the +2 reflex defense, as saves are just saves... against something. You already have an auto +1 to fort and reflex, so I don't think you need more reflex defense.

The other thing, the claws are cool, but... eh, but you gain no proficiency and no bonuses to unarmed attacks; unless you're a monk (or whatever is altered to be a monk).

Also, are these like werewolves, or are they just like hybrid man wolves? cause then the racial power should be the whole morphing between man, hybrid, and beast.

So what give them proficiency with their claws?

Also, the whole point of the race, is that they were humans, but do to two divine curses, and a whole mess of other stuff, they're now a completely different race (sort of like the tiefling, but not as cheesy). They have no "human" side left at all.

Mewtarthio
2008-07-02, 10:33 PM
Why force damage instead of thunder?

Ceiling009
2008-07-02, 11:18 PM
Rules as is... nothing. Nothing short of taking the official house ruling of making a ranger into a monk from WotC. I'm leery of allowing a race to have a natural attack in a sense, as unarmed attacks no longer have so many limitations, since they have that Howl of the Beast power. I think if you dropped that, or even lowered the damage back to 1d4, and according step ups, but let them consider their claws light blades... but I don't know... I haven't actually played any 4e, I just read the rules and run scenarios... so far.