PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Paths; Good Idea or Bad?

darkzucchini
2008-07-04, 02:32 PM
So, 4e has come out and I haven't been all that thrilled with the feel of the game, and, as maybe a few of you know, I have been working on an overhaul of the 3.5 system. One thought that has come to me is the idea of combining Prestige Classes and Paragon Paths, they would function like Paths in that they are layered over top of the PC's base class, and will function like PrCs in their verity, flexibility, and general power.

I have also thought that I may include the Prestige Path idea as a possible method for multiclassing. Currently, I am thinking that I will include standard 3.5 multiclassing, possibly some feat multiclassing (such as buying 1d6 Sneak Attack), and Prestige Path multiclassing. Prestige Path mutliclassing will be similar to the Gestalt style of play, except that the character will still use their base BAB, saves, and Hit Points instead of the highest of the two. This form of multiclassing will give the PC the abilities of the new PrP as well as access to the skill groups (I am using skill groups instead of class skills) of the added class. Players, of course, cannont have more levels in their base class than they have levels (i.e. a 6th level Mage may not take a level in PrP Mage because that would give them 7 levels of mage at level 6). One drawback of this method is that it is much better to use some classes as the base and others as the Prestige Path (i.e. if you want someone with 1 level in Fighter and 6 in Mage at 6th level, it is better to multiclass Mage 5/Fighter 1 and add a level of Mage PrP on top of the Fighter level).

This method could also be used to give class levels to monsters as well. Just lay some PrP levels over top of the monster's hit dice (though I have no idea how to figure ELC for this).

Anyway, I am just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the idea. Do you see anyway that it could be seriously abused? Any other problems or questions about it? I am already thinking that no Prestige Paths will be accessible until 5th level, but I am also throwing around the idea of whether people should be able to go in and out of PrPs free (as can be done with PrCs at the moment) or if they should be forced to take all levels in the PrC before moving on to a new one (PrPs will all have 5 levels to them, though some will expand on others, i.e. there will be Fighter PrP, Greater Fighter PrP, and Master Fighter PrP for the Fighter multiclass Prestige Path).

Anyways, tell me your thoughts. I want to see what people think of the idea.

darkzucchini
2008-07-05, 12:28 PM
Knew I shouldn't have posted this on the 4th of July.

Anyways, *Shameless Bump*.