PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Battle Tourniment

Silence
2008-07-04, 05:04 PM
This thread is rendered moot by the newer thread located here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84792)

Please post in that one. It serves as both a discussion thread and a recruiting thread for the moment.

mikeejimbo
2008-07-04, 05:15 PM
Shouldn't this be in the Play by Post boards?

Silence
2008-07-04, 05:21 PM
Nope. I'm not asking for people to join, I'm just asking for people to give feedback on the rules and ideas presented.

mikeejimbo
2008-07-04, 05:24 PM
All right then. I thought that those kinds of posts also belonged there. Either way, it sounds like an interesting idea if you could keep it well organized.

Silence
2008-07-04, 05:31 PM
Well, as long as it stays unsuccessful I should be fine, but if it does take off I'll have to recruit for staff.

Oslecamo
2008-07-04, 05:41 PM
He, to be honest, I love tactical combat with lots of guys, but geting people to play it's another story alotogheter.

What books allowed? Are flaws usable?

How big the arena? Clean terrain or obstacles and such?

No gaining exp. There's really no need for it. The armys should have the same power in all battles.

Also, let the losers fight between themselves to see wich one is the best loser.

I propose we use the D&D miniatures rules. Like in chess, each player moves one piece of his army per turn, going back and forth between the players, untill all pieces have been moved.

Actually, I strongly sugest using the D&D miniature rules. The wotc website offers plenty of free pdfs with several monster stats, each one with a certain point cost. Theoretically, armies of the same total cost have equal power. The rules are almost equal to D&D, but creatures are simplified and there are some extra details like moral and stuff.

Grey Paladin
2008-07-04, 05:44 PM
Looks decent, though hardly original, I've seen 20 year old games based upon the exact same concept using an earlier edition.

Silence
2008-07-04, 06:53 PM
I don't like the mini rules. Takes away from the depth of the game.

What books allowed? Are flaws usable? I want to only allow PHB, as I don't want to give any unfair advantages. I don't think there will be a need to allow more books, but if people want to, then I'll think about it.

How big the arena? Clean terrain or obstacles and such? I'm planning to make a few different arenas, but I think 200 x 200ft would be good dimensions. There's going to be lots of obstacles, and use of cover is going to be vital.

About originality: So what if it's not original? 99% of the games out there aren't original, but that doesn't diminish the fun of it.

Grey Paladin
2008-07-04, 06:55 PM
Just saying that it's rather likely for someone to 'steal' it by mistake :smallwink:

Silence
2008-07-04, 10:13 PM
Ok, first draft of the rules.

Team creation

Your team consists of 12 human, level three warriors.

For simplicity, your men will be named by numbers. NO content is allowed from books other than the PhB. This is so that nobody has an unfair advantage.

Number:
Strength:
Dexterity:
Constitution:
Weapons:
Armor:
Speed:
AC:
Attacks:
Skills:
Feats:
HP:

Charisma, wisdom, and intelligence are 10 by default and cannot be changed. You have 10 points to buy stats.

All characters have 16 + 3*con modifier + and bonus granted from toughness.

You are given 1000 gold that you may only use to buy weapons and ammunition with. You are NOT allowed to by special items, such as greek fire. You may only buy weapons from the player's handbook, and they must be the basic version of the weapon. No enchanted weapons, no masterwork weapons, just regular weapons. Each man has three weapon slots, one holding a large or smaller weapon, one holding a medium sized or smaller weapon, and one holding a small or smaller sized weapon.

You are given 3000 gold to spend on armor and sheilds. Same rules as with weapons apply.

Matches

Beginning Matches
There are two teams, a red team and a blue team. There is no difference between the two teams. Maps will be chosen at random.
Match threads will be posted by a referee, and at that time you explain where your men will start, and roll initiative, which will be set up in an unorthodox way. To keep the game running smoothly, your team will operate in four man groups. They will have one initiative roll for the group, and they will all move at the same time. The referee will put out a starting map of the two teams, and then the players say what their first group will do. They will then continue in order, until both teams have moved all of their men. At that time, both players MUST wait for the ref to post an updated map of the position. They players will repeat the process until someone wins.

Ending Matches
There are 6 ways a match can end.

1. One player retrieves the enemy flag, and brings it back to his or her base.
2. One player's team is entirely dropped into the negatives on HP.
3. One player does not post for thee days, at which time the other player wins.
4. One player breaks or tries to avoid one of the forum rules, at which time the other player wins.
5. One player breaks or tries to avoid one of the game rules, at which time the other player wins.
6. One player surrenders.

After a match
After a match, your team is completely reset. Any men can be replaced, and dead player's slots can be filled. All weapons, ammunition, armor, and shields are taken, along with any money. 1000 more gp is given for weapons, and 3000 more is given for armor. XP is not awarded, and characters cannot advance in levels.

Wadda ya think?

Istari
2008-07-05, 08:19 AM
Im not so sure about the 4 man group rule, are the groups required to stay near each other? Please give more detail.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-07-05, 08:59 AM
I like the idea, but I've got a couple of problems. First: Cha, Int, and WIs should NOT be auto 10. That totally nerfs a couple of skills that would be very interesting for the combat (namley UMD). Second:YOu should allow PHB,DMG, and MM. Finally: WHy no magic weapons? What's the point of winning more money for weapons if you can't get anything but the most basic version?

Silence
2008-07-05, 09:41 AM
I like the idea, but I've got a couple of problems. First: Cha, Int, and WIs should NOT be auto 10. That totally nerfs a couple of skills that would be very interesting for the combat (namley UMD). Second:YOu should allow PHB,DMG, and MM. Finally: WHy no magic weapons? What's the point of winning more money for weapons if you can't get anything but the most basic version?

There is no magic. You don't win money. Frankly, I can't think of any skills that will be worth giving up the AC, HP, attack bonus and attack damage for. The point of a lot of these rules is to have the teams extremely balanced. You'll have plenty of chances to win during the match.

About the INT rule.

The game would be way too slow if the players moved their troops 1 guy at a time, and things would become uninteresting. No, they do not have to move as one or anything. The only link between them is that they all share an INT roll.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-07-05, 08:59 PM
Doesn't keeping the intelligence scores at 10 rule out various feats for the warriors (namely Combat expertise, Improved Trip, Improved Disarm, etc.)?

Silence
2008-07-05, 09:07 PM
It does.

There's a link on my siggy to the sign up thread. Do check it out.

Siosilvar
2008-07-05, 09:52 PM
I don't like this idea. It seems like the person who masses their forces the best and rolls the best will win, hands down. Mental stats at 10 rules out things like improved trip, combat expertise, improved disarm.

Also, weapon sizes are 3.0 and you're also contradicting yourself.

There is no magic. You don't win money.

All weapons, ammunition, armor, and shields are taken, along with any money. 1000 more gp is given for weapons, and 3000 more is given for armor. XP is not awarded, and characters cannot advance in levels.

I will, however, sign up to referee.

Silence
2008-07-05, 09:56 PM
I don't like this idea. It seems like the person who masses their forces the best and rolls the best will win, hands down. Mental stats at 10 rules out things like improved trip, combat expertise, improved disarm.

Also, weapon sizes are 3.0 and you're also contradicting yourself.

I will, however, sign up to referee.

Well, we'll see how tactics work out. I'm working on it.

Also, what are you saying about the 3.0 weapon sizes? I don't follow.

You don't win money. You're given money which you can only spend on weapons, which are then taken after the battle. Same concept in practice, but different in theory.

Thanks for reffing.