PDA

View Full Version : Half-Dragon and Half-Fiend

brian c
2008-07-06, 12:11 AM
Two races that I've got for my campaign setting. The stats for them are almost identical, but as always I've got a lot of flavor text that's more important really. Races are created for my campaign setting, but free for anyone to use. For more info on my setting, the gods, and the other races so far, please look at the links in my sig.

I appreciate any and all comments; feedback can be hard to come by with such long posts, but if you skim over and have anything at all to say please let me know what you think. Also, these races (well, templates really) have LA so I'm interested in hearing if people think it's appropriate

Half-Dragons

Dragons sometimes crossbreed with humans and elves, but rarely with other races. A Chaotic dragon is more likely to crossbreed with a wild human or elf, while a Lawful dragon is more likely to crossbreed with a civilized human, but almost never with a dwarf.

Personality: Half-dragon personality depends on the type of dragon. If the dragon parent is good, then a half-dragon can be a paragon of virtue, helpful and introspective. Half-dragons with evil parents can be haughty, arrogant and domineering. In general, half-dragons are very aware of their physical and mental superiority over the average human, or indeed over most any other race; the key marker of a half-dragon's personality is how they act with regard to this fact, whether by bragging, boasting and asserting themselves as deserving of glory, or by accepting responsibility to act as role models and guide other beings to a state of cooperation and safety.

Physical Description: Half-dragons stand between 6 and 9 feet tall, and weigh anywhere from 250 to 700 pounds. They have scaly skin, colored to match their dragon parent. A half-dragon's body is similar to that of a human, except that each hand has only four fingers and each foot only four toes, all of which end in sharp claws several inches long. Facial features are only vaguely human, with no external ears and no hair. Some half-dragons have a snout resembling that of a dragon, while others have flatter faces. The mouth holds a forked tongue and two layers of small sharp teeth, often (but not always) flanked by longer, fang-like incisors. Half-dragons have thin, greenish-yellow reptilian eyes, which grant them superior eyesight in little or no light. Half-dragons are generally fond of metallic jewelry, but have few distincive clothing styles, choosing instead to fit in with their society.

Relations: Half-dragons are usually the least discriminated of the various races considered "monstrous" (including half-orcs, orcs, and goblinoids); this is due to the influence that half-dragons have, both due to their personal powers and to their connections to mighty dragons. However, orcs harbor a distrust of dragons and half-dragons, since their demon forefathers rival dragons for the control of arcane magic.

Alignment: Generally the same as the parent dragon, or within one step.

Half-Dragon Lands: As a mixed race, half-dragons are not likely to be in any particular goegraphical proximity to each other. There are however many influential clubs, societies and organizations among half-dragons which transcend territorial borders.

Religion: Good half-dragons almost universally worship Vonak, but most also respect other gods, particularly Ben Sun, Baal or Rabel, and Sholana. Evil half-dragons sometimes worship Kifan or Nalat, but more often are unaffiliated with religion.

Language: All half-dragons speak Common and Draconic. Most also speak several other languages, with the most popular being Elven, Sylvan and Giant.

Names: A half-dragon will be given a name at birth by his human (or elven) parent according to their customs. However, all half-dragons are also assigned a draconic name by their other parent. These names are used only in confidential conversations with other dragons and half-dragons, and can be a closely guarded secret.

Adventurers: Half-dragons have superior physical and mental capabilities compared to other races, and make very strong adventurers. They tend to feel an urge to use their great abilities to change the world, for the better or for the worse, and adventuring is a perfect pathway. Half-dragons are naturally gifted sorcerers, but many also train in hand-to-hand combat as Fighters or Barbarians, or even channel divine magic as Clerics or Mystics. Some particularly Good and religiously devoted half-dragons become paladins; the Order of the Star and Moon is a group of mostly draconic paladins who are the only sizeable paladin group not devoted to Leyanar.

A Half-Dragon has the following abilities and qualities, in addition to the base Human or Elf qualities but not including a bonus feat or bonus skillpoints if human.

Type: A Half-Dragon has the types Dragon and Humanoid (Human) or Humanoid (Elf), whichever the other parent was. It is considered both dragon and it's other half for any race-based abilities or feats.
Abilities: +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma
Size: Half-Dragons are Large sized; they have -4 to Hide, -1 to attacks and AC, 5 ft reach and movement speed of 40 ft. Half-Dragons do not normally have wings.
Racial Bonuses: +2 natural armor, darkvision 60 ft, low-light vision, immunity to sleep, immunity to one type of elemental damage (depending on dragon type; see table in Sorcerer entry).
Spellcasting: Due to the natural magic of dragons, a Half-Dragon casts spells as a 2nd level sorceror, with the same number of spells known and spellpoints. This racial spellcasting stacks with a character's spellcasting from sorceror levels. This ability does not grant any class abilities except for spellcasting.
Languages: Same as base race, but add Draconic to automatic.
Level Adjustment: +3

brian c
2008-07-06, 12:13 AM
Half-Fiends

Demons and Devils sometimes crossbreed with orcs, somewhat less commonly with humans, and much less commonly with elves. The most common crosses are Demon-Orc, Demon-Human(Baalite) and Devil-Human(Rabelian).

Personality: Half-fiends are powerful and they know it. They inherit most of their personality traits from their demon or devil parent; devils are manipulative and dangerous, while demons are unpredictable and dangerous. Half-fiends rarely care for the feelings of anyone they feel is inferior, and are usually very ambitious and power-hungry.

Physical Description: Half-fiends usually stand about 6 to 9 feet tall and weigh 250-600 pounds; human mixes are smaller than orc mixes. Skin color ranges from human tones to blood red and pitch black. Physical traits can vary; some half-fiends have small horns, cloven feet, forked tongues, or thin (non-prehensile) tails. Others can appear to be human except for a slight reddish tinge to the skin and red eyes. Half-devils prefer to be immaculately dressed in whatever the popular fashion happens to be, while half-demons are less particular about their appearance.

Relations: Half-demons are universally detested and feared, except by orcs whom they often lead. Even the generally tolerant Baalite humans prefer not to deal with half-demons. Half-devils are usually more respectable and blend in better, carefully avoiding attention. A very small number of half-fiends are goodhearted and work to gain acceptance for themselves, if not for their brethren. Some half-devils also earn places of respect within Goblin lands.

Alignment: For half-devils, generally lawful evil; for half-demons generally chaotic evil. Many half fiends of either type are Neutral Evil; very few are non-evil, but there are some.

Half-Fiend Lands: As a mixed race, half-fiends are not likely to be in any particular goegraphical proximity to each other. Most half-demons end up living among orcs and often earn leadership positions within the tribe. Half-fiends are also sometimes shunned by other societies, but a small number blend in well (or become rich enough) enough to live in large cities.

Religion: Half-devils nearly always worship Nalat, with others worshipping Brask. Half-demons nearly always worship Kifan, but Srohlak is also popular. The minority of non-evil half-fiends worship Baal or Rabel primarily.

Language: All half-fiends speak Common and Infernal. Nearly all also speak Orc, and many speak Goblin or Draconic.

Names: A half-fiend will be given a name at birth by his human (or orc) parent according to their customs. Some prefer a different name connected to their heritage, but this is not widespread.

Adventurers: Half-fiends almost always do some adventuring, because they inherit the ambitions of their fiendish parents. They are well-suited to become warlocks because of their natural magic, but also make superior melee combatants.

A Half-Fiend has the following abilities and qualities, in addition to the base Human or Orc qualities but not including a bonus feat or bonus skillpoints if human.

Type: A Half-Fiend has the type Humanoid (Human or Orc)
Abilities: +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma
Size: Half-Fiends are Large sized; they have -4 to Hide, -1 to attacks and AC, 5 ft reach and movement speed of 40 ft. Half-Fiends do not normally have wings.
Racial Bonuses: +3 natural armor, darkvision 60 ft, low-light vision, immunity to sleep, resistance 10 to two elements (see chart in Warlock class entry)
Spellcasting: Due to the natural magic of demons and devils, a Half-Fiend casts spells as a 2nd level warlock, with the same number of spells known and spellpoints. This racial spellcasting stacks with a character's spellcasting from sorceror levels. This ability does not grant any class abilities except for spellcasting.
Languages: Same as base race, but add Infernal to automatic.
Level Adjustment: +3

boomwolf
2008-07-06, 01:40 AM
Way overpowered for anyone that is about to be one of these classes. giving up 1 casting level for massive ability boost? damn yea.

Change the half-dragons to dragonblood subtype.

any why don't you simply use the REAL half-dragon template?

brian c
2008-07-06, 01:51 AM
Way overpowered for anyone that is about to be one of these classes. giving up 1 casting level for massive ability boost? damn yea.

This is designed for my homebrew setting, so there are a few points I can make here:

1) The overall power level for my setting is a bit higher

2) The sorcerer/warlock classes (linked in my sig), unlike standard casting classes in 3.5 D&D, have significant class features other than spellcasting. So you're giving up one casting level and some nifty class features.

3) As is (or should be) the norm with regards to homebrewing and houserules, my setting makes magic a big less of a win-button than it currently is, by a combination of throwing out broken spells and restricting usage.

That having been said, I agree that not a whole lot is being given up for what is gained, so perhaps the LA should be changed. Hopefully I'll be running a game this summer to playtest and figure out how balanced the races are in practice.

Change the half-dragons to dragonblood subtype.

Knew there was a type for that; thanks.

any why don't you simply use the REAL half-dragon template?

As I said, this is for my setting. My concept of a half-dragon doesn't fit perfectly with the published template, so I made my own.

I do appreciate your comments; if you're interested, read my other posts (all linked in my sig) to get an idea of the other races, the classes, and the gods.