PDA

View Full Version : (4E) Waterdeep Interest

SoulCatcher78
2008-07-09, 09:09 PM
I'm sure that the city itself won't get to much detailing with the FRCS (maybe a half page at best) but I don't think that's a reason to hold off on getting a campaign started in that area.

There've been plenty of supplements detailing the city but with a 100 year time jump, there'll be a lot of renaming to do (guess I'd better start a list). Since the city has escaped relatively unscathed (the statues moved around a bit but nothing major) I doubt that there will be any map updates.

Only time will tell whether or not Waterdeep gets released as a DDI product but I have my doubts as to that.

Some of the things that are apparently not changed are:
Governement (still have the secret Lords of the City, now it's just a matter of who are the new Lords)
Guilds (not mentioned but hard to see such an integral part of the city changing)
Blackstaff(now an office? rather than Khelben)
Nobles(Most likely the same families still sniping back and forth at each other over trade advantages).

So what has changed?
Weather(can't remember where I remember it from but I'm sure there's a problem with the Shades trying to reclaim Anauroch and stealing all the rain, etc)
Portal Breakdown(Undermountains portals might have become unstable after the Spellplague disgorging gods know what in and about the city and countryside)
Banditry(with all the other problems in the world, bandits are going to be running rampant in the countryside so the merchants are going to be offering bounties or at least heavily arming their caravans)

So with all the possibilities of the reset Waterdeep, how many people would be interested in building the setting (either through cooperation or through PBP games)?

RTGoodman
2008-07-09, 09:29 PM
I'm not a big FR person, but I did flip through the Grand History of the Realms book (which kinda covers the time-line between 3.x and 4E) and I thought I remembered reading that at some point during the crossover there was a big plague that wiped out something like 70% of Waterdeep's population. If I've remembered that correctly, that might have a pretty big impact on the city.

SoulCatcher78
2008-07-10, 07:20 AM
I'm not a big FR person, but I did flip through the Grand History of the Realms book (which kinda covers the time-line between 3.x and 4E) and I thought I remembered reading that at some point during the crossover there was a big plague that wiped out something like 70% of Waterdeep's population. If I've remembered that correctly, that might have a pretty big impact on the city.

Sounds familiar but I'll have to dig around for confirmation. That'd solve any overpopulation issues they might have been having due to refugees though (Baldur's Gate seems to have gotten more than their fair share though).