PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Alternate Racial Power - Spring Punch

LoneGamer
2008-07-10, 12:48 AM
So I'm thinking about DMing a 4e game. One of my prospective players wants to play a Warforged, but with a "rocket punch" instead of the usual Warforged Resolve power. This is what I've come up with. Comments? I'm pondering making Quick-coil a Heroic feat and Spring Strike Paragon, but otherwise I'm pleased with it.

Spring Punch * Warforged Racial Power
You throw a punch at a distant enemy, catching them off-guard as your fist springs forth on a chain, catching him unprepared.
Encounter
Minor action, Ranged 4
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength +2 vs. AC or Dexterity +2 vs. AC
Hit: 1d6 +Strength modifier or 1d6 +Dexterity modifier damage. Increase to +4 bonus and 2d6 +ability modifier damage at 11th level, and to +6 bonus and 3d6 +ability modifier damage at 21st level.
Special: When you create your character, choose Strength or Dexterity as the ability you use when making attack and damage rolls with this power.
Special: After using this power, you cannot make any attacks until the beginning of your next turn.
Special: To take this power, you must give up the Warforged Resolve racial power.

Heroic Tier Feats
These feats are available to any warforged character who meets the prerequisites.
Compressed Spring [Warforged]
Prerequisite: Warforged, spring punch racial power
Benefit: The range of your spring punch power increases to 7 squares.

Spring Strike [Warforged]
Benefit: When using your spring punch power, you may choose to deal 1[W]+ability modifier damage instead of your regular damage. Increase to 2[W]+ability modifier damage at 11th level and 3[W]+ability modifier damage at 21st level. Choose before making the attack roll. When taking advantage of this feat, the power gains the Weapon keyword.

Paragon Tier Feat
This feat is available to any warforged character of 11th level or higher who meets the prerequisites.
Quick-coil [Warforged]
Benefit: You may now make attacks in the same turn after you use your spring punch power.

Eighth_Seraph
2008-07-10, 09:15 PM
Hrm. This is pretty interesting, I like it. Of course, modifications to the warforged's arms could lead to all sorts of interesting homebrew variations of the power. Melikes.

I don't see anything to fix or rebalance. Well done.

LoneGamer
2008-07-11, 01:07 AM
Thanks. TBH, I was kind of expecting more comments than 1. :/

LoneStarNorth
2008-07-11, 01:33 AM
"Ker-BOI-oi-oi-oi-oingg!!"

I like it, but you need to also make a specialty weapon to go with it, for use with the Spring Strike feat. Either a comically oversized boxing glove or a banana cream pie.

DracoDei
2008-07-11, 02:35 AM
Someone did a whole slew of minor mods for warforged for 3.5 a while back... might want ot look those up and translate them...

Included crystals studded throughout the body that gave an advantage to Psions...

Daracaex
2008-07-11, 03:34 AM
You throw a punch at a distant enemy, catching them off-guard as your fist springs forth on a chain, catching him unprepared.

You've got a bit of redundant redundancy in your flavor text there...

I like it! I'd like to see more of these kind of things for the warforged, especially because of their unique nature of being able to modify their body like this.

Foxtale
2008-07-11, 05:21 AM
Haha, for a second there that made me wanting to roll up a warforged character. :D