PDA

View Full Version : Creating a new RP system [Part 1:Theme Suggestion]

drawingfreak
2008-07-22, 01:14 AM
While it is fun to create things based on the d20 system...sometimes you just can't make the system have the right feel to it. So why not we just create our own?

I shall be our host and lead director. What we need now is a theme for this new system. I shall offer a few now. After some time, we will halt all suggestions and put it to a vote. I think a day or two shall be good enough. Ready? GO!

Theme ideas

Steampunk genre
Mass Effect

mikeejimbo
2008-07-22, 03:55 PM
Steampunk!

Vespe Ratavo
2008-07-23, 04:43 PM
There can never be enough Steampunk.

Or better yet, Steampunk...IN SPAAAACE! :smalltongue:

Edit: This probably isn't notable enough to deserve a whole new post, but I feel it is relevant...Steampunk Star Wars. (http://ericpoulton.blogspot.com/search/label/steampunk%20star%20wars) :smallbiggrin:

Silence
2008-07-23, 05:19 PM
Steampunk FTW!

Ryacko
2008-07-23, 05:49 PM
Since steampunk is the best of the three options,

Steampunk Apocalypse or Steampunk Waterworld

drawingfreak
2008-07-23, 11:48 PM
While Steampunk is awesome and all, let's thrown in some OTHER ideas. Maybe in the chaos of randomly thrown out genres and themes, we may find something even better.

mikeejimbo
2008-07-23, 11:59 PM
Steamcyberpunk.

Jacking in to difference engines!

Zeta Kai
2008-07-24, 05:49 AM
Steampunk.

Steampunk!

STEAMPUNK!

STEAMPUNK!
STEAMPUNK!
STEAMPUNK!
STEAMPUNK!
STEAMPUNK!
STEAMPUNK!

Sorry, I got caught up in the hype.
Seriously, though: do steampunk.

boomwolf
2008-07-24, 07:26 AM
how about SPARTAAAAAAAAAA?

I mean, there are lots of steampunk out there. you don't need another.

You get all them cool Greece monsters, fun times. think God of War, but as a tabletop game. where mortals relay mainly of sheer power, and combat skills-instead of freaky magic. magic is for monsters and gods.

Another option is to make a game world that defiles all logic, where time and space don't function as normal, a 4D world, where 3D characters (aka humans and friends) have a hard time to find their way around. and staying alive-as some monsters seem to be completely aware, and even part of the 4th dimension, one that PCs cannot even realize that exist. (IC at least, OOC its recommended to realize it.)

An example of such world is that the PC's find a small cabin in the forest, about 60 ft. wide, but going inside there is a huge valley, and you cant see the walls-only a door standing in the middle of nowhere, with mountains surrounding he valley in a way it looks to be open grounds, but in reality its all inside the cabin, and if anyone brakes the walls-a mountain falls, revealing the outside.

Another such event is when the PC's swim into a lake, in the bottom of the lake they find a hole that water does not spill from for some reason, while exiting from the hole they discover that gravity inside the hole (that is apparently in a castle) is reversed from the outside, so inside the castle the hole is actually a pond in a garden.

Can really drive new players insane how the rules of physics makes no sense.
But making maps will be a nightmare.

Maroon
2008-07-24, 09:54 AM
I agree that, while steampunk is awesome, it's been done (awesomely). We need to put a new twist on it. Classical clockpunk. Dieselpunk in space. Something like that. Instead of shoveling coal on the fire of your war machine, you need to plug in your powered bakelite armor. Instead of inventing the difference engine in the 18th century, they invented the clockwork abacus a millennium earlier.

Silence
2008-07-24, 10:09 AM
Steampunk.... with Dragons!

mikeejimbo
2008-07-24, 11:43 AM
Steampunk Rome:

Rome invents the steam engine around 500 AD. Hilarity ensues.

Zeta Kai
2008-07-24, 11:56 AM
Steampunk Rome:

That are made of WIN.

I would do that campaign tomorrow if I weren't DMing another already.

Maroon
2008-07-24, 02:14 PM
Steampunk Rome:

Seems good in principle, but what's stopping that from becoming yet another Inquisition World? 5th century Romans would jump at the chance to reestablish themselves as a holy all-powerful empire. I'd be okay with a pre-christian Rome going through an industrial revolution, but when the Inquisition has been sent into spaaace! already (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endymion_%28Hyperion_Cantos%29), the trope is getting a bit tired.

What about steampunk Greece? They're already the mad scientists of the classical world, having invented just about everything (including steam power, clockwork, and lasers), so we'd just have to amp it up a little. Steamships have conquered the Mediterranean. The Colossus is actually a humongous mecha. The Oracle is a massive computer. Chimeras are Frankenstein monsters, brought to life by the thunder of Zeus. Hephaestus has an army of automatons. Prometheus stole the secret of gunpowder from the gods while he was at it. Greek heroes are cunning McGyvers as often as they are musclebound warriors.

mikeejimbo
2008-07-24, 02:58 PM
It wouldn't have to degrade into an Inquisition world, if we present an alternate history. (Or just shift it to pre-Christian Rome.)

But Steampunk Greece sounds pretty cool too.

boomwolf
2008-07-24, 03:05 PM
{scrubbed}

Maroon
2008-07-24, 03:54 PM
{scrubbed}
Blasphemy!

What's your gripe with steampunk, anyway? There are billions of generic fantasy worlds out there, are you crusading against all of them too? Steampunk has plenty of opportunities for originality once you look beyond the standard Victorian setting.

Haven't seen you suggesting anything else, though. Please do, I'm looking forward to your ideas.

Dairun Cates
2008-07-24, 04:09 PM
Alright. A chance to throw in some ideas. I guess I'll just throw in one for now.

There's a LOT of serious RP systems out there. So, seeing as we're going to be working together, let's make one we can laugh about and explain away horrible inconsistencies with silly logic.

I suggest a d6 system based around the battle between Pirates and Ninjas. Robots and Monkeys, of course, belong on the Ninja side while Pirate would get Zombies and Dinosaurs. We could add an alignment system that goes from Pirate to Ninja, allowing for a neutral middle ground class somewhere in. The whole system is based on cinematic basassery instead of basic combat (Much in the same vein as Exalted or 7th Sea). There would, of course, be over the top skill and abilities. Also, we could make it a steampunk world setting for nits and shiggles. Oh, and we could throw vikings and other cool things in somewhere. It'd be so random that'd we'd be able to incorporate a lot of genuinely creative ideas that might not normal fit in a system and manage to get them to work together.

Sound incredibly silly and stupid? That's the point. I doubt we'll have heated flame wars when talking about whether the Ninja's "Omega Death Circle Cheese Shuriken" is underpowered compared to the Pirate's "Rum Glazed Flame Attack". At the very least, it'll make for an interesting read.

Believe me. That was just the warm-up.

FireSpark
2008-07-24, 04:12 PM
Steampunk Rome:

I would play this.

But only if I got to be a Viking who stole some of Rome's precious technology.

Viking-punk! FTW!!!

mikeejimbo
2008-07-24, 04:50 PM
Ooh yeah, Vikings. I second the Vikings. No matter what, there should be Vikings.

I like Dairun's suggestion as long as the Vikings are on the Pirates' side.

Dairun Cates
2008-07-24, 05:15 PM
Ooh yeah, Vikings. I second the Vikings. No matter what, there should be Vikings.

I like Dairun's suggestion as long as the Vikings are on the Pirates' side.

Well, of course the Vikings go on the Pirate side. They just work so well together. Drinking + the Ocean = Buddies.

Only thing I can't really place is Cogney Thieves. They have the pirate's lack of morals, stealing, and drinking habits, but they have the stealth and killer instinct of a ninja.

As for Steampunk Rome...

FUN FACT: The Greeks actually invented Hydraulics as a way to dispense wine automatically shortly before the rise of Rome. Hydraulics are a major part of steampunk robots. Therefore, it's not entirely historically implausible.

mikeejimbo
2008-07-24, 05:22 PM
Only thing I can't really place is Cogney Thieves. They have the pirate's lack of morals, stealing, and drinking habits, but they have the stealth and killer instinct of a ninja.

Hmm, they could be the Neutral, between Pirates and Ninjas, obviously!

Dairun Cates
2008-07-24, 05:25 PM
Hmm, they could be the Neutral, between Pirates and Ninjas, obviously!

I considered that, but they seem to lack the high attention that a pirate or ninja brings. They could be on the neutral side, but you'd need something iconic on the level of Robin Hood to be the actually sign for the neutral side.

And no... I don't think Robin Hood should be a class.

Zeta Kai
2008-07-24, 07:03 PM
For god sakes, If I was a moderator I would have locked any steampunk RP system creation thread jest for the overwhelming lack of originality.

It is a good thing that this forum does not have moderators who so capriciously lock threads.

As for Dairun's Wacky RPG, I'm all for it. Here's an alignment system for it:

{table]Pirate-Viking|Pirate-Robot|Pirate-Zombie
Robot-Viking|True Robot|Robot-Zombie
Ninja-Viking|Ninja-Robot|Ninja-Zombie[/table]

Silence
2008-07-24, 07:15 PM
It is a good thing that this forum does not have moderators who so capriciously lock threads.

I like that table. +1 to Zeta's awesomeness score.

drawingfreak
2008-07-24, 10:37 PM
We will be taking no more suggestions.

Voting thread can be found here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85764)

Dairun Cates
2008-07-24, 10:45 PM

Brilliant table. It captures the Ninja/Pirate war perfectly. The use of Robots as the neutral ground in a nice touch. I'm not sure I want to mess with anyone who's Viking-Ninja alignment though. Sounds scary when you can be stealthily killed with a great axe and a flagan of ale.

Also, I'm glad a lot of people like the vikings idea.

FireSpark
2008-07-25, 06:03 AM

Oh, I will be SO much Ninja-Viking, it will be hilarious.

How does a Ninja-Viking infiltrate a manor?

By knocking the whole damn thing down!! :smallbiggrin:

Silence
2008-07-25, 10:39 AM
Yes! The good system (#12) is tied with the idiotic stupid system that people will play for a week then screw!

I'm gonna have to sig pimp this.

Dairun Cates
2008-07-25, 11:32 AM
Oh, I will be SO much Ninja-Viking, it will be hilarious.

How does a Ninja-Viking infiltrate a manor?

By knocking the whole damn thing down!! :smallbiggrin:

Knocking the whole damn thing down... STEALTHILY!!

Yes! The good system (#12) is tied with the idiotic stupid system that people will play for a week then screw!

I'm gonna have to sig pimp this.

...And for the record, there's actually a lot of humorous and weird systems that have managed to do well in the past: Paranoia, Toon, Teenagers from Outer Space, BESM (to some extent), etc. I have every intention of making it an interesting AND fun system to play if we decide to do that one.

I see no reason to start being uncivil about this.

mikeejimbo
2008-07-25, 12:56 PM
There is nothing idiotic or stupid about Paranoia.

I know because my Friend the Computer told me so. Are you distrusting the Computer, Citizen?

Dairun Cates
2008-07-25, 02:36 PM
There is nothing idiotic or stupid about Paranoia.

I know because my Friend the Computer told me so. Are you distrusting the Computer, Citizen?

Of course not. Friend Computer made Alpha Complex to be a weird and silly place for the enjoyment of ALL the citizens of Alpha Complex. Friend Computer is perfect.

mikeejimbo
2008-07-25, 02:39 PM
Exactly Citizen. You are not a Traitor.

llamamushroom
2008-07-26, 11:22 PM
Quick question - with the Pirate/Ninja-world, where would pseudo-pirates or pseudo-ninjas fit in? I.e. Privateers (always seemed more piratical than pirates to me) or Shinobi (the spy-y, as opposed to the stab-y, kind of ninja).

mikeejimbo
2008-07-27, 01:05 AM
The only real difference between a privateer and a pirate is that a privateer has one country that won't hang him.

So I imagine they'd side with pirates against ninjas. And Shinobi would side with ninjas against pirates.

Silence
2008-07-27, 12:10 PM
Well, some of us have ran off with a completely different idea. My sig links to the thread.