Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: One white-hot grain of sand
Target: One creature
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

In the palm of your hand a grain of sand begins to glow, but before it can burn you it flickers out of sight...

You heat a grain of sand and send it speeding to your target. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to hit your target. The grain deals 1d6 points of fire damage and burrows into the target's flesh unless they succeed on a fortitude save. From this moment on the target is destined for a lifetime of misery. The victim takes 1d4 point of damage per day as the grain slowly burns its way through them for the rest of their lives. They become permanently sickened, and the condition cannot be removed by any spell unless it removes pain.
There is a 1d20 chance every day that the grain moves through or near a vital organ, taking 2d6 days to completely move through. Each day of this the damage dealt is increased to 4d6 points of damage and they are nauseated for this time period. Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to this extra damage.
Healing spells cannot heal this damage until 24 hours later as it is immediately inflicted again by the ever present grain.
Spellcasting or concentrating on spells requires a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level). Using skills that involve patience and concentration requires a DC 15 Concentration check. If the grain is moving through a vital organ the DC increases to 25.
Damage from multiple castings stack and are rolled separately.

Material Component: A grain of sand from a lower plane.

DracoDei
2008-07-23, 06:35 PM
So... Dispel Magic won't touch this???

Also, why do I suspect the inspiration for this may very well have been seeing name of the "Heartburns" feat in the Gridolls entry in this month's contest?

arguskos
2008-07-23, 06:43 PM
I'm away from my books atm, so I'm curious, how does one go about curing this spell? Is it even possible (I don't know what cures pain effects)?

Other than that, interesting, though I don't see the use for it, other than to annoy player characters (a great use for anything ever, so I don't mind one bit).

-argus

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-07-23, 07:45 PM
So... Dispel Magic won't touch this???
Nope. There is no spell that is effecting the subject once the grain is implanted. I should perhaps make the spell instantaneous.

I'm away from my books atm, so I'm curious, how does one go about curing this spell? Is it even possible (I don't know what cures pain effects)?
Ease Pain and anything that gives immunity or even resistance to fire will at least give them relief for a brief time.

Other than that, interesting, though I don't see the use for it, other than to annoy player characters (a great use for anything ever, so I don't mind one bit).

-argus
Permanent sickness and a stiff concentration check each time they try to cast a spell? I'd call that reasonably useful even without the damage.

DracoDei
2008-07-23, 07:48 PM
There is no spell that is effecting the subject once the grain is implanted.
I understood that basically... I meant disenchanting the grain of sand, since I THINK it should be within range even inside the body...

Ra-Tiel
2008-07-23, 08:39 PM
A level 5 spell permanently sickening (potentially permanently nauseating) the target in addition to dealing hard-to-heal damage and being impossible to remove by any means?

Uhm, no. I'd suggest specifiying at least 3 spells from different spell lists that remove the condition. Not to mention the horrible abuse this spell would bring into the game if given to a spellcaster with the Violate Spell feat.

Also, making the spell "instantaneous" creates the same logical problem as Orb of Force has. You'd have a non-magical magically animated magically heated grain of sand moving around inside the target. How the heck does that work?

Devin
2008-07-24, 06:45 AM
This spell sounds [Evil].

olelia
2008-07-24, 07:14 AM
Gotta agree...there HAS to be something that cures this spell...I mean is there any spell in any other book with NO CURE?

Demented
2008-07-24, 04:27 PM
Nope. There is no spell that is effecting the subject once the grain is implanted. I should perhaps make the spell instantaneous.
There is, however, magic affecting the grain of sand.

And if all else fails, you can always apply a "heal" check involving a sharp knife and a metal spoon. :smallbiggrin:

Silence
2008-07-24, 05:26 PM
I regognize that....

It's from Eragon (Book; didn't make it into the movie.).

Where Brom is threatening the guard!

First one to notice! w00t!

Ra-Tiel
2008-07-24, 05:35 PM
There is, however, magic affecting the grain of sand.
Problem: the grain has full cover from anyone outside the target's body, and thus will not be affected by any dispelling or disjoining one may throw at it.

Also, how does this spell work regarding to regeneration and fast healing? Note that as written only the initial 1d6 damage is fire, the rest is untyped.

And finally, this spell is The DM's Nightmare (TM) regarding bookkeeping. Why not just make it "1d6 damage per day on successful save, 3d6 damage per day on failed save" and be done with it? Especially with that "cannot be healed until 24 hours later thing. :smallconfused:

And if all else fails, you can always apply a "heal" check involving a sharp knife and a metal spoon. :smallbiggrin:
Without cutting the target open there is currently nothing the target's allies can do. However, perhaps the same mechanic as removing an implanted xill (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/xill.htm) egg would be applicable.

Demented
2008-07-24, 06:17 PM
The knife is for cutting the target open.
The spoon, of course, is for holding the sand grain. Wouldn't want it to drop back in, now would we? :smallbiggrin:

The Fort save says "Partial", but depending on how you read it, it can appear to have no effect if you make the save; you negate both the fire damage and the burrowing.

Stycotl
2008-07-25, 12:39 PM
i'd agree that the spell needs to have more ways to stop it. and a highly skilled surgeon should be able to the trick with a successful (extended) healing check of high enough DC.

but the immediate effects are pretty cool. very devilish.

Ra-Tiel
2008-07-26, 07:31 AM
i'd agree that the spell needs to have more ways to stop it.
Definitively.

Additionally, the mechanics should be reworked. As it stands now, it's a bookkeeping nightmare for DM and players. Also, the "healing spells cannot cure the damage until 24h later" section is quite dubious - a required casterlevel check would be the better and more elegant solution (compare the bearded devil's Infernal Wound ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/devil.htm)).

and a highly skilled surgeon should be able to the trick with a successful (extended) healing check of high enough DC.
As said, the removal of a xill egg would be a good starting place. It requires a DC 25 heal check and can be tried multiple times with each failed attempt dealing 1d4 points of damage to the target.

but the immediate effects are pretty cool. very devilish.
And thus probably highly deserving of the [Evil] descriptor, like Devin said. This spell's only purpose is to bring pain and suffering to the target. Even with the most creative ideas, you couldn't use it for anything else.

Demented
2008-07-26, 03:02 PM
The act of using it on someone would probably be an evil act, but in order for a spell to be [Evil] there needs to be a component of evil in the casting of the spell, not just in the use of it.

Now, it does use a grain of sand from the lower planes...

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-07-26, 03:32 PM
*chuckles*

I spend hours making various angels and get maybe a few responses.
Spend 3 minutes on a spell just for fun for another poster to use with their critter and get more than a dozen posts.

Will work on it a bit :smallwink:

Siosilvar
2008-07-26, 04:52 PM
Definetly not 5th level.

Also, can you clarify what "1d20 chance" means?

boomwolf
2008-07-26, 05:03 PM
As said before, bookkeeping nightmare.

Not to mention being a bit harsh for a 5th level spell. I mean, it can screw repeating BBEGs real bad considering its nigh-unsolvable, (how DO you get rid of it?) jest cast one at each encounter with them, and the next encounter will be easier. after 3-4 encounters like this he will be completely at the mercy of the sand. I mean. if he got hit 3 times, it means there is a fairly good chance that at some point that damage alone will do 12d6. making him unable to face anyone.