PDA

View Full Version : How to Blog?

Nychta
2008-07-24, 09:17 PM
I was thinking of starting a joint blog with my friend, mostly to keep a record of our high school years, partly for my friends to read when they're not in New Zealand, and I'd also quite like the Playground to be able to read it, too.

My problem is, I haven't a clue about blogging. What's the best way to go about this?

alexeduardo
2008-07-24, 09:32 PM
I was thinking of starting a joint blog with my friend, mostly to keep a record of our high school years, partly for my friends to read when they're not in New Zealand, and I'd also quite like the Playground to be able to read it, too.

My problem is, I haven't a clue about blogging. What's the best way to go about this?

[{Scrubbed - Political Discussion is an off limits topic here}

Admiral_Kelly
2008-07-24, 09:32 PM
Use correct grammar and spelling. Be informative about what you are talking about. Make sure you know the facts.

...Then again, I've never written a blog, so maybe I shouldn't be giving advise :smalltongue:.

Silence
2008-07-24, 09:47 PM
https://www.blogger.com/start

The stuff is really simple. If you're technically savvy enough to join this forum and post in it, you'll be fine.

You can learn more fancy stuff as you go along.

It's easy.

RabbitHoleLost
2008-07-25, 08:08 AM
Pick a blog site you find appealing to yourself (and your friend).
I chose Livejournal, for example.
From there, its rather simple. Depending on the site you choose, you may or may not be able to tweak its appearance to your likings, and then, my dear, you write.
:smallwink:

Trog
2008-07-25, 08:42 AM
Also, for those interested here is a brief tutorial for finding photos for your blog. From... my blog. :smallsmile:

Linky (http://trogshead.blogspot.com/2008/07/photo-by-ssh-okay-this-one-is-for.html)

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-25, 08:49 AM
Take advice from Bor, his blog is massive-y... And he makes long posts too and that he started around some months ago, it's quite big.....

valadil
2008-07-25, 09:08 AM
What it comes down to, and what keeps me from doing a good blog, is content. Update regularly. It doesn't have to be every day, but if you update less than weekly you'll lose interest.

Just sign up for a blog somewhere. I saw a suggestion for blogger and livejournal. Those are both fine. Make sure it's something established and not honestbobsdiscountblogs or some other service that disappears and takes your writing with it after a month or two.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2008-07-25, 10:37 AM
Blog from the heart! Don't force it. If it becomes a chore, you'll lose interest and it probably won't be interesting, either.

Also, don't panic.

Dragonrider
2008-07-25, 05:51 PM
I use Blogger (blogspot) largely because...umm...I don't remember why, actually. But I like it because it's easy to set it up so that more than one person can be in charge of a blog - you don't have to share an account, but two accounts can post.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-07-25, 06:39 PM
Ooh. Linky DRider? And I just got one today. And if I can do it without mucking anything up so can you. LiveJournal seems pretty good, if a tad intimidating at first.

Moff Chumley
2008-07-26, 12:33 PM
Just set up a music blog, I'm sharing it with some folks from another website. Behold, the Guinea Pig Page! (http://www.gppage.blogspot.com/)

Nychta
2008-07-26, 11:12 PM
Great, thanks guys! Once I get back to school and work through my backlog of homework and assignments I'll have a chat with CultDoctor. I think we'll end up using blogspot.com, because a lot of you have endorsed its ease of use (:smalltongue:) and also the ability to have seperate accounts and post to the same blog would be very useful. We're hoping to be able to update fairly often, and there are two of us, so there are no excuses. :smallbiggrin:

Once again, thanks for your help!

Renegade Paladin
2008-07-26, 11:50 PM
I use Blogspot myself; it's served me well for a couple of years now. If you decide to use it and want help altering the look of your blog beyond the templates provided, let me know and I'll see what I can do. (I didn't do much with my own; just switched the contents column from left to right.)

My own blog is linked in my profile, though if you melt on exposure to political content, I suggest avoiding it. :smalltongue: