PDA

View Full Version : 'Cause I Have Wings, And I Can Fly! [4E, Feats]

Grey Watcher
2008-07-25, 04:56 PM
So, a big part of the appeal of the Dragonborn for me, at least, was that the preview art sometimes showed them with wings. I imagined that, via appropriate feats or some such, one could eventually get your Dragonborn character to fly under his own power. While I've only had a chance to begin perusing my books (they arrived while I was away), I can't find anything to help me support this idea. So, here are my rough attempts at a solution. It's only an outline at this stage, since I haven't had a chance to get a sense of the numbers, but here it goes:

Draconic Wings [Dragonborn, Heroic]
Prerequisites: Dragonborn, feat must be taken at 1st level
Benefit: You have a pair of wings that provide you with a +X bonus to Athletics checks involving jumping or climbing.

Draconic Flight [Dragonborn, Paragon]
Prerequisites: Dragonborn, Draconic Wings feat
Benefit: Your wings now grant you a fly speed of X. You are consider a clumsy flier, and have an altitude limit of X.

Improved Maneuverability
Prerequisites: Fly speed (clumsy)
Benefit: Your flight is no longer considered clumsy.

Hover
Prerequisites: Fly speed (non-clumsy)
Benefit: You may now hover.

Improved Altitude
Prerequisites: Fly speed
Benefit: Your altitude limit increases by X.
You may take this feat multiple times. Its effects stack.

Gralamin
2008-07-25, 05:10 PM
Looks fine to me, though it should be noted flight can be gotten by classes around level 16 (See wizard utility 16 Fly, Page 165 PHB). I'd start with a +2 bonus to athletics, And fly speed equal to the ground speed or some such. Don't know about the altitude limit.

AstralFire
2008-07-25, 05:18 PM
Yeah, flight is really powerful in that edition, you'd probably have to have some sort of in-combat restriction on flight based on how hard it is to move in air and battle at the same time. Or something.