PDA

View Full Version : If you could give a TV show 5 more years...

Ivius
2008-07-25, 08:59 PM
If you had a chance to lengthen the amount of time before any show was canceled by five years, which show would you choose? For me, it'd be between Firefly (which I think will match most choices) or Mystery Science Theatre 3000. Maybe with a bit more likelihood of the former; MST3K had a good long run (I just hate that I was too young when it ran to have known about it or enjoyed it).

Tragic_Comedian
2008-07-25, 09:00 PM
Invader Zim. It didn't even get a chance, and it was bloody FANTASTIC.

Ivius
2008-07-25, 09:03 PM

Oh yeah! Invader Zim was awesome! Okay, now my choice is a three way tie.

Executor
2008-07-25, 09:05 PM
Firefly... Damn you FOX network! This is why we can't have nice things!

Tragic_Comedian
2008-07-25, 09:07 PM
Oh, another one. Brimstone. Really, all the shows that are listed as too good to last on TV Tropes.

Blackadder
2008-07-25, 09:12 PM
Firefly
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/WaWAdder/key_art_firefly.jpg
Fox, No one else can crush your hopes and Dreams like we can
Guaranteed!

Cristo Meyers
2008-07-25, 09:25 PM
Why don't we just get it out of the way now and just list just about every halfway decent show that Fox has cancelled in the past...oh...say 10 years? That should cover everything from Firefly to Brimstone and even The Lone Gunmen.

Zarrexaij
2008-07-25, 09:49 PM
Invader Zim. I liked that cartoon before it was cool. :smallamused: *points to the Invader Zim Hot Topic fad that has swept her town*

And OMG MT3K! I miss that show too, even though all I saw of it was when I was a kid. I thought it was funny.

Tebryn
2008-07-25, 09:51 PM
Pirates of Blackwater

Walrus
2008-07-25, 09:53 PM
It sort of falls into the "everything FOX has cancelled in the last ten years" that was mentioned earlier, but I think Drive would have been a fantastic show if they'd given it more than three episodes.

Muz
2008-07-25, 10:09 PM
Firefly, Twin Peaks (provided they got the ABC execs to stop mucking it up), and Farscape. (Even though Farscape got to tell the end of its story with the miniseries after it got cancelled, I'm still greedy.) :smallbiggrin:

I'm also curious to see if anything interesting would've developed from Crusade, but it's a distant fourth, since what DID get aired didn't catch my interest much.

Oh, and it's not a TV show, but I wouldn't mind if Bill Watterson had put off giving up Calvin & Hobbes for another five years. :smallwink:

thubby
2008-07-25, 10:23 PM
air gear, i want to see him reach the top!

Joran
2008-07-25, 10:37 PM
I will echo Firefly. I'll toss in Wonderfalls as well, since that was another show that got killed by Fox before its time. However, thankfully, they at least saw it coming and managed to get an ending done =P

Jayngfet
2008-07-25, 11:17 PM
Megas XLR. IGPX.

I've never seen Firefly, if I saw any DVD's I'd buy them since I've heard the concept and seen a few examples on Tv Tropes and liked both.

kpenguin
2008-07-25, 11:45 PM
Not really any specific show, but I wish the DCAU didn't end with season three of JLU.

Ivius
2008-07-25, 11:50 PM
Megas XLR. IGPX.

I've never seen Firefly, if I saw any DVD's I'd buy them since I've heard the concept and seen a few examples on Tv Tropes and liked both.

Buy them. As soon as you can.

It's the best show I've ever seen.

TigerHunter
2008-07-25, 11:51 PM
Firefly. I stayed up all night watching the DvD for the first time about a month ago, and when I reached the end, I went "...that's it?" and was depressed about it all day.

Then I watched it all again and was happy.

Then I posted in this thread and was depressed again.

Jayngfet
2008-07-26, 12:01 AM
Firefly. I stayed up all night watching the DvD for the first time about a month ago, and when I reached the end, I went "...that's it?" and was depressed about it all day.

Then I watched it all again and was happy.

Then I posted in this thread and was depressed again.

Did you watch the movie?

On a side note, has anyone gotten an explanation for FOX's cancellation spree? I mean Jeff Harris is looking for an unbiased interview with 4KIDS and Jason DeMarco gave a few words so it's not to far fetched.

Rare Pink Leech
2008-07-26, 12:09 AM
If the additional five years come with a quality guarantee, I'm going with Arrested Development. If, however, the show isn't able to maintain a high quality, I'd rather stick with what AD I have.

Tirian
2008-07-26, 01:19 AM
Thank you all for playing, but the correct answer is the greatest comedic television show of all time, and which by cruel fate only lasted six episodes: Police Squad!

factotum
2008-07-26, 01:32 AM
I wouldn't have minded seeing that UFO invasion drama Dark Skies make it to the end of its run...it was pretty good. I would have liked to see how the Odyssey 5 crew averted worldwide destruction, too.

Haruki-kun
2008-07-26, 01:36 AM
Dead like me.

Two seasons and canceled.... not NEARLY enough.

tyckspoon
2008-07-26, 01:52 AM
I have to go with MST3k. It's the most sustainable concept. If the question were what show to give just another two or three years, I'd agree with the 'all the stuff Fox threw away' crowd.. but 5 years? 5 years of quality drama or comedy with a continuing story and continuing characters is *hard*. Very few series have managed it, and although I've no doubt that the other series named so far would produce several more seasons of high-quality stuff, I don't think any of them could hold out the full 5 year extension. MST3k could. It just needs a steady supply of really bad movies and some sufficiently funny personalities to comment them. Fairly common materials used to produce excellent entertainment. I can believe that another 5 years of MST3k would not produce a year where it felt like extending the show's life was wasted.. unlike what may happen if Firefly or Arrested Development got extended just to end up producing a Buffy season six or Babylon season five.

Swordguy
2008-07-26, 03:15 AM
Peter: Everybody, I got bad news - we've been cancelled.
Lois: Oh, no. Peter, how can they do that?
Peter: Well, unfortunately, Lois, there's just no more room on the schedule. We just gotta accept the fact that Fox has to make room for terrific shows like:
Dark Angel
Titus
Undeclared
Action
That 80's Show
Wonderfalls
Fastlane
Andy Richter Controls The Universe
Skin
Girls Club
Cracking Up
The Pits
Firefly
Get Real
Freaky Links
Wanda At Large
Costello
The Lone Gunmen
A Minute With Stan Hooper
Normal, Ohio
Pasadena
Harsh Realm
Keen Eddie
The Street
American Embassy
Cedric The Entertainer
The Tick
Louie
and Greg The Bunny.
Lois: Is there no hope?
Peter: Well, I suppose if ALL those shows go down the tubes we might have a shot.

Just thought it might be relevant.

My choices, by the way, would be 2 years of Firefly, 2 more years of Space: Above and Beyond, and use a year of credit to let JMS know by season 3 of Babylon 5 that there WOULD be 5 seasons and Claudia Christian wouldn't be back for the 5th season, and to revise his scripts accordingly.

BizzaroStormy
2008-07-26, 03:46 AM
Yeah, I miss Greg the Bunny and The Tick

Rogue 7
2008-07-26, 06:09 AM
Dear God, Firefly. Best TV I've seen in a good long while. And Jaygfet- IGPX at least got 2 seasons and an ending.

Verruckt
2008-07-26, 06:33 AM
I'll throw in with the "FOX is run by drunken lemurs" crowd and would like to add that the mostly good people over at Cartoon Network and Williams Street seem to have a drunken lemur exchange program. They bring a few FOX execs in every month and let them throw darts at the time slots to determine what they should cancel with little or no warning. I weep.

EvilElitest
2008-07-26, 09:57 AM
Legend of Zelda the show..............i'll go kill myself now
from
EE

ARMOURERERIC
2008-07-26, 10:22 AM
Because /i am an old guy, I got one from the late 1980's:

Wiseguy (with a healthy Ken Wahl)

The show was an instant smash hit with good casting choices, by the 2nd season, celebrities were begging to have supporting roles, but in the late 2nd season, Ken Wahl was injured on the set, hit with a forklift by a stupid PA, got seriously injured, and addicted to the painkillers, his replacement killed the show.

Eric

Estrecca
2008-07-26, 10:42 AM
Primary choice, Gargoyles. But only if I get the power to retcon the "Goliath Chronicles" out of existence.

Secondary choice, Stargate SG1 in the hopes of the writers being able to solve the mess that was the Ori storyline in less dramatic fashion than the crappy direct-to-DVD movie.

Cristo Meyers
2008-07-26, 10:43 AM
I'll throw in with the "FOX is run by drunken lemurs" crowd and would like to add that the mostly good people over at Cartoon Network and Williams Street seem to have a drunken lemur exchange program. They bring a few FOX execs in every month and let them throw darts at the time slots to determine what they should cancel with little or no warning. I weep.

and this is why I haven't watched Adult Swim since I graduated college over 3 years ago.

Selrahc
2008-07-26, 11:11 AM
Maybe not 5 years worth.. but another few seasons of Arrested Development would not go amiss. Aside from that Firefly would be kick ass to get some more episodes.

On the British side of things I would like some more Father Ted and Black Books. Both of those were absolutely fantastic, and both could have easily sustained another few series.

To go very retro, Fawlty Towers could have done with more than just twelve episodes, and the Young Ones as well.

loopy
2008-07-26, 11:16 AM
Firefly. And bring back Alan Tudyk!

Or, in movies, resurrect Heath Ledger and do two more Batman movies.

Winterwind
2008-07-26, 11:43 AM
Invader Zim would be my second choice, but before that, I'd go with Crusade, the spin-off show of my most favourite series of all times, Babylon 5. Admittedly, it didn't get all that far, and the network messed around with the airing order (an obviously horrible idea when dealing with a series with an ongoing story), but Babylon 5's first season was mostly preparation for the story yet to come as well, and judging from the comments on the DVDs they had as much of a complex story planned out as they had with B5. A shame to see so much potential wasted.

Also, the episode parodying The X-Files was comedy gold with genius on top. :smallbiggrin:

darkblade
2008-07-26, 11:46 AM
Several shows I want to see continued.

1) Samurai Jack
2) Megas XLR
3) Firefly
4) Justice Leauge Unlimited
5) Dead Like Me
6) Pushing Daisies
7) What Its Like Being Alone

Destro_Yersul
2008-07-26, 11:46 AM
Surface. Danged cliffhanger first season ending... *grumble* no closure.. *mumble*

DraPrime
2008-07-26, 11:47 AM
That Star Wars cartoon series about the clone wars. That thing was pretty sick.

Pandaren
2008-07-26, 11:49 AM
Freaks & Geeks, series in 2001, great, stupendous. Only lasted one season though. I am utterly amazed it got canceled, really suggest seeing it all, netflix has it.

Secondly, Invader Zim.

Geddoe
2008-07-26, 11:51 AM
While I love Firefly, 5 more years would just give Whedon a chance to muck things up, as seen in later Buffy and the last season of Spike... er, I mean Angel.

Maybe 2 years of Firefly, 2 years of Tru Calling and a year of that one series where Nathan Fillion is in a race across the country.

Tom_Violence
2008-07-26, 12:12 PM
Thank you all for playing, but the correct answer is the greatest comedic television show of all time, and which by cruel fate only lasted six episodes: Police Squad!

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!

"Who are you? How did you get in here?!"
"I'm a locksmith and ... I'm a locksmith."

How I love Police Squad. Gotta find that old DVD somewhere...

Anyway, apart from that I wouldn't add years to any shows really. There's more than a few I'd like to rob of years though (I'm looking at you, Lost).

Ivius
2008-07-26, 12:51 PM
I'm actually starting to agree that five years of firefly might wreck the delicate balance of awesome; maybe 2 years of Firefly and 3 of MST3K.

PhallicWarrior
2008-07-26, 01:32 PM
Oh, don't even get me started...

Jake 2.0
Megas XLR
Firefly
Clone Wars (Although they seem to be bringing it back for a CG movie, so that's good.)
Samurai Jack (I started watching just as it was canceled. :smallfrown:)
And more I can't think of right now.

Cristo Meyers
2008-07-26, 01:34 PM
Clone Wars (Although they seem to be bringing it back for a CG movie, so that's good.)

Am I the only one that saw the previews for this and shuddered in revulsion? Hell, they basically put Mission Vao in it!

lifegospel
2008-07-26, 01:36 PM
hmmm...

1. X-FILES, (It's so awesome)

2. digimon

3. megaman.EXE (It's still going, but only in japan, where I'm not)

DraPrime
2008-07-26, 01:39 PM
2. digimon

NO NO NO NO NO

lifegospel
2008-07-26, 01:41 PM
NO NO NO NO NO

YES YES YES!!

I mean c'mon, aren't I entitled to an opinion?

Ivius
2008-07-26, 02:10 PM
3. megaman.EXE

NO NO NO NO NO.

thorgrim29
2008-07-26, 02:16 PM
Firefly, and Rome.... if they could find something to talk about, I mean, the story was pretty much over but the show was so freaking good.
Talking about HBO, is there any news on the song of ice and fire show they're supposed to make?

thubby
2008-07-26, 02:56 PM
3. megaman.EXE (It's still going, but only in japan, where I'm not)

fan subs

and no, no opinion for you!

sikyon
2008-07-26, 03:06 PM
Battlestar Galactica, but it's OK since it's supposed to end.

So star trek.

turkishproverb
2008-07-26, 03:13 PM

Seconded as a choice

Yeah, I miss Greg the Bunny and The Tick

Invader Zim. I liked that cartoon before it was cool. :smallamused: *points to the Invader Zim Hot Topic fad that has swept her town*

And OMG MT3K! I miss that show too, even though all I saw of it was when I was a kid. I thought it was funny.

agreed on both

Primary choice, Gargoyles. But only if I get the power to retcon the "Goliath Chronicles" out of existence.

Secondary choice, Stargate SG1 in the hopes of the writers being able to solve the mess that was the Ori storyline in less dramatic fashion than the crappy direct-to-DVD movie.

only about half of Goliath chronicles sucked.

and the Direct to DVD movie was pretty much what they had planned for an ending anyway, they already said so.

Besids, continuum looks good.

For me it would be

1 year of invader zim: just enough to finish the only sound recorded episodes and add a few more.

2 months of GUNDAM X to restore the origonal run length to over forty post apocalyptic yet non-grimdark episodes.

2 years of MST3K, because its funny beyond belief.

2 months police squad, just to make a movie trilogy along wit the origional few epsiodes :)

6 months of Gargoyles.

6 months CLASSIC Megaman. Complete with the betraying brother storyline.

1 months arrested development. just to annoy people. (Kidding. It actually goes to the Tick to make 2 months)

1 month of the Tick

6 months Batman Beyond.

Because it was Genious. And it had Ace the Bathound.

NOTE ON GREG THE BUNNY: THe origional version is still running on IFC.

SkanMan
2008-07-26, 04:01 PM
yo

MARRIED WITH CHILDREN, arrested development, firefly, rome, and probably a lil old for a lot of you but i grew up in an era where bumpy and eek the cat ran saturday mornings

Phae Nymna
2008-07-26, 04:48 PM
Hmm... I Love Lucy and Get Smart are tied.

So, Flying Circus wins my vote.
Chastise me all you want, but I wanted more. :smallannoyed:

Green Bean
2008-07-26, 05:28 PM
For me, it's a toss up between Justice League Unlimited and 30 Rock, both for completely different reasons.

Jayngfet
2008-07-26, 09:06 PM
Ironically Since it's back on the air right next to adult swim(who's age group it's popular with) Samurai Jack might get some new episodes.

Fri
2008-07-27, 08:16 AM
Lone Gunmen. Sigh.

I was really, really upset when the bridge were dropped unto them.

Jorkens
2008-07-27, 08:32 AM
This is indeed the correct answer.

Tallis
2008-07-27, 10:20 AM
Firefly, obviously.
Also Space: Above and Beyond
MI:5
The Tick

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-07-27, 10:23 AM
Heroes and Supernatural I could watch til I was old and grey. 5 more seasons is the least they could do!

darkblade
2008-07-27, 10:52 AM
Ironically Since it's back on the air right next to adult swim(who's age group it's popular with) Samurai Jack might get some new episodes.

Its been running on reruns for years. The creator was forced to stop it to start the Clone Wars Cartoon shorts and to the best of my knowledge hasn't done anything sense. As much as it pains me to admit there probably won't be anymore Samurai Jack.

Sneak
2008-07-27, 11:34 AM
Firefly, for obvious reasons.

Arrested Development would be nice.

And Freaks and Geeks.

Also, the UK version of The Office (aka the original) was over way too quickly.

Enlong
2008-07-27, 09:39 PM
Teen Titans.
Static Shock.
Samurai Jack. (or for the movie to happen)

horngeek
2008-07-28, 06:25 AM

YES!, I am so sad it's over.
What I would really like to see is stories set in the same universe.
Wouldn't even have to feature the Gaang, maybe other Avatars, maybe even without any Avatar as a main character.
But the Avatarverse could definitely do with exploring.

Khanderas
2008-07-28, 07:04 AM
I don't follow much on the telly, but I did thoughly enjoy Hellsing. That Anime about vampires, inquisition and naturally the adorable Seras Victoria.
13 episodes. End ? WTF. Bring me more episodes !

More Avatar would be nice even if the 3 season arc Gaang vs the Firelord ends. Then again a 4th season "Air" regarding rebuilding the Air nomads would be... hard to keep the same quality (less action, less plot focus). Still 3 seasons are not enough.

Gargoyles would be VERY nice. Perhaps more Gummi bears (perhaps alittle dated now but that was Quality back then).

That is... only cartoons. I may need professional help.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-07-28, 07:07 AM
2 choices:

- the last season of Enterprise (and ONLY that season. If we could have made it 6-seasons long, it would have been perfect in my mind)
- DS9

kamikasei
2008-07-28, 07:09 AM
I don't follow much on the telly, but I did thoughly enjoy Hellsing. That Anime about vampires, inquisition and naturally the adorable Seras Victoria.
13 episodes. End ? WTF. Bring me more episodes !

Well, see...

Hellsing was based on a manga, one which is still ongoing. They departed entirely from the manga's plot about halfway through the series, which is why it was so damn weird (well... part of why). But there's a more faithful adaptation currently in progress, being released in the form of OVAs (months apart, unfortunately), so that might help you slake your thirst. Unfortunately a lot of the style of the show is gone - the awesome soundtrack especially.

Selrahc
2008-07-28, 07:28 AM
2 choices:

- the last season of Enterprise (and ONLY that season. If we could have made it 6-seasons long, it would have been perfect in my mind)
- DS9

Wasn't DS9 over? As in all the storylines finished, all the antagonists defeated and half the crew moved on from DS9.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-07-28, 07:45 AM

All right then, Enterprise

Athaniar
2008-07-28, 07:47 AM
Let's see... Stargate SG-1, Dark Skies, Special Unit 2, Red Dwarf... There are so many of them. I wouldn't really want them to resurrect Babylon 5, because they've already concluded it so nicely, but they could at least give Legend of the Rangers a chance. Come on, they made a pilot episode!

Smight
2008-07-28, 08:37 AM
That Star Wars cartoon series about the clone wars. That thing was pretty sick.

that was not canceled, it ended right before 3rd movie, in the end of the show Palpatine was captured, and the movie starts with his rescue.

1 Firefly
2 Space above and beyond
3 Dead like me

Hawriel
2008-07-28, 01:56 PM
Damn I was getting worried that one of my favorite Fox exicutions would not be liked by any one but me. Thanks Swordguy, and That other guy.

Space Above and Beyond was a nice hard military sci fi show. I loved how it kept all the "extras" from the pilot through out the show to fill out the 58th. Man I want pancakes now.

Profit. This shows the real evil side of Nathan Patreli

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115323/

Aidan305
2008-07-28, 06:02 PM
Knightmare, one of the best fantasy TV shows to grace British television.

If you haven't seen it, go watch it.

darkblade
2008-07-28, 06:11 PM
While not technically a TV show I would have to say Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog deserves at least another year of episodes.

JabberwockySupafly
2008-07-28, 06:21 PM
http://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/cmeacg/img/millennium_logo.jpg
Welcome Frank, there are 0 days remaining...

Millennium was such a great show, and it didn't need 5 years, it needed 1. Just 1 more season to reach the actual millennium, which is when they were going to end the show anyways, but (shock!) Fox decided to cancel the show and what kind of closure did it get? A single, horribly done, episode on The X-Files.

I'm going to probably get some nerd-rage from someone over this, but how can a muddled, plot-hole ridden, craptastic show like X-Files go for 9 seasons, and yet Millennium, with such a solid story and great cast, get canned after season 3? ARGH! Fox! You must pay for your sins!

Wizzardman
2008-07-28, 08:03 PM

All right then, Enterprise

As long as we can skip the last episode, and drop a little bit of the cheesy soap opera style that edged into part of the season (and the seasons before it), that'd be good.

ARMOURERERIC
2008-07-28, 10:15 PM
Green Acres (I'm watching my season 1 dvd right now)

Jinura
2008-07-29, 05:50 AM
Friends or Desperate Housewives

Lord of the Helms
2008-07-29, 08:32 AM
While I love Firefly, 5 more years would just give Whedon a chance to muck things up, as seen in later Buffy and the last season of Spike... er, I mean Angel.

I seem to be the only one out there, but honestly - I enjoyed season 5 of Angel more than any other. It alternated well between outrageously funny (Smile Time and The Girl in Question) and dramatic and serious, with relatively few of the utter turdball episodes that plagued much of the series (only that Mexican Wrestler episodes stroke me as overly terrible if I remember correctly), the interaction between Angel and Spike actually worked really well and certainly didn't overstate Spike, and the whole cast worked perfectly together. It wasn't nearly as consistently "OMGWTFAWESOME!" as Firefly, but then again no season of either Angel or Buffy were anywhere close to the condensed awesome-episode-after-awesome-episode brilliance of Firefly.

Philistine
2008-07-29, 10:09 AM
Not the only one, LotH. Personally, I was delighted by the return of comic relief in Angel in S5 - S3 and S4 got to be so dark that the show wasn't fun anymore. Also, it's hard to properly appreciate someone's misery if you never get to see them happy for the contrast.

Mc. Lovin'
2008-07-29, 03:27 PM
Futurama! I dunno what happened to that, I think they're just making movies now.

Also the Office (UK), I love that thing :D

Mephibosheth
2008-07-29, 03:55 PM
I've got a few that I'd like to see continued, most of which have already been mentioned:

1. Firefly - who am I to go against the trend.
2. Samurai Jack - I always enjoyed the episodes I was able to catch, and would like to watch it in its entirety.
3. Avatar: the Last Airbender - only if they don't focus on the Gaang and tell stories in different time periods. I'd like to see the world fleshed out more (and more material available to develop the d20 system!)
4. Clone High - awesome show, ends on a cliffhanger. I would absolutely love new episodes of Clone High

darkblade
2008-07-29, 04:04 PM
4. Clone High - awesome show, ends on a cliffhanger. I would absolutely love new episodes of Clone High

You mean I'm not the only person on the Internet who watched Clone High?

Gygaxphobia
2008-07-29, 04:06 PM
Firefly, for obvious reasons.

Arrested Development would be nice.

Good call (both).
British comedy called Outlaws could have done with many more seasons.

spamoo
2008-07-29, 11:06 PM
I would Definitely have loved to see another few seasons of Firefly and Enterprise, though the latter would have needed some new writers. It would have been nice to see a season or so more of Voyager just to tie up the loose ends, but not five more years of it.

Mr. Mud
2008-07-29, 11:27 PM
I would Definitely have loved to see another few seasons of Firefly [...]

Amen to that!!

I watched firefly almost everytime it was on (and that wasn't just because it was always scheduled after the big football game...) It quite easily filled my star trek hunger for its short life...

Also loved the movie...

----

On another note, what if they gave Thundercats another 5 years?! Who didn't love Thundercats?!?!

mikeloop86
2008-07-30, 08:13 AM
I can't believe I'm gonna be the first to say this:

5 MORE YEARS OF FREAKAZOID AND REBOOT!

The Demented One
2008-07-30, 08:32 AM
Two years more of Firefly, two years more of Scrubs, whose existence seems to be somewhat uncertain. And take all the time out of Death Note following a certain event, and put it into Middlemen, which seems destined to get canceled soon.

Mr. Mud
2008-07-30, 08:37 AM
Two years more of Firefly, two years more of Scrubs, whose existence seems to be somewhat uncertain. And take all the time out of Death Note following a certain event, and put it into Middlemen, which seems destined to get canceled soon.

I somehow forgot to mention the one of the best best comedies I've seen in my life... Scrubs...

I feel dirty inside. :smallfrown:

Vaire
2008-07-30, 09:05 AM
There was another sci-fi show that Fox ran as an intro to x-files but was (surprise) canceled. I think it was called Pure Luck (D.B. Sweeney). Anyway, I very much enjoyed that show. Of course, I'd also love to have five more years of The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. I love Bruce Campbell.

Dervag
2008-07-30, 09:08 AM
Firefly, for all the same reasons as every other human being on this forum.

Freakazoid- thanks for reminding me, mikeloop.

Geddoe
2008-07-30, 11:44 AM
I seem to be the only one out there, but honestly - I enjoyed season 5 of Angel more than any other.

I didn't hate all of season 5 of Angel, I just hate spike. Yes, hate is a strong word, that is why I used it. Thus much of season 5 was annoying to me, because any humor of Angel's interaction with spike is marred by the fact that I can't stand the character(spike). Compounding the problem was the fact that some of the season focused exclusively on spike.

Maelstrom
2008-07-30, 07:59 PM
Deadwood, Clock Stuffers! ;)

Prophaniti
2008-07-30, 08:21 PM
Firefly. Probably the single most mentioned show on this thread, which tells you how great it was.

Futurama. Yes, they're doing the movies now, but I find that, while still funny, they've lost a part of the feel they had as a half-hour show. So far both movies have been only as funny as an average episode, which is still really good. I was just hoping for Roswell That Ends Well level of funny, considering the longer production time involved. Oh, well, they were still pretty funny.

MST3K would be good too.

Chronicled
2008-07-30, 09:50 PM
Torn between Firefly and Clone High. I'd end up giving the 5 years to Firefly, but I'd hate myself for not keeping Clone High on.

Firefly needs no explanation (and well, it's been given).

Clone High was one of the wittiest cartoons I've ever seen. It did a marvelous job of pulling humor from both history and current events, subverting dozens of tropes to good effect, and had absolutely perfected the use of the Overly Long Gag (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OverlyLongGag). It's still one of the funniest things I've ever seen... all 11 episodes of it. At least, unlike Firefly, they knew when they were getting cut and went out with a bang. It's hard to find a copy, but if you do see one, you won't regret buying it.

Edit: And only now do I spot the 2 mentions of it already in the thread. *facepalm*

Edit2: And how could I forget Talespin? A quick Googling says it got a nice 65 episodes, but that was such a great show, back in the day. Would that it'd gone on longer.

Occasional Sage
2008-07-31, 10:19 AM
Three to mention:
Firefly (duh)
West Wing (with the understanding that I really only want the Sorkin back to rewrite the last few seasons)
Carnivale (a very good Depression-era show that is very Tim Powers in flavor)

Irenaeus
2008-08-17, 12:42 PM
Carnivale is on top of my list, because they seemed to actually have the material needed for four more seasons, something I can't really say for most other shows I liked. I think both Arrested Development and Firefly could do another season as well. I'd add The Wire to that list, if I didn't know that David Simon has said that five seasons was all he felt he had the material for.

Otempora
2008-08-17, 03:56 PM
Clone High. I was basically in tears by the last episode because there won't be anymore. And it seems like a show that would grow the beard in the next season, depending on where they took it (I personally think having the clones wake up on Cloney Island would be an AWESOME second season, but whatever).

I'd probably also give a year to Rome. Although, considering all the people they cut out, I wouldn't want it to go past Augustus.

Athaniar
2008-08-17, 04:20 PM
I second/third/fourth Futurama to continue. Not that I've seen that may episodes yet (about 1˝ season), but I wouldn't want it to end.

Is it really no other person who would have liked Legend of the Rangers to go on?

Winterwind
2008-08-17, 06:25 PM
Is it really no other person who would have liked Legend of the Rangers to go on?I would have, most definitely... the whole Babylon 5 universe was treated poorly by the networks. Legend of the Rangers, Crusade, The Lost Tales... :smallfrown:

Glawackus
2008-08-17, 06:54 PM
The Amazing Screw-On Head.

</thread>

Vaire
2008-08-20, 09:08 AM
I just thought of another one:

FARSCAPE

I loved that show. I want more.

Kez
2008-08-21, 01:26 PM
I'll get the obvious Firefly mention out of the way. The other shows I would have liked to have seen extended are Deadwood and Enterprise. At the time it was out, I would have loved to have seen a couple more seasons of Twin Peaks as well.

chiasaur11
2008-08-21, 02:45 PM
Other than, of course, Firefly, I'd pick Police Squad! Great, show, the Airplane crew at its best, and what happens? Cancelled after six episodes.

Walrus
2008-08-21, 03:04 PM
I whole-heartedly second The Amazing Screw-On Head. That was a fantastic, hilarious show, and it didn't even go past the pilot.

LordVader
2008-08-21, 08:55 PM
This.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8b/Roughnecks.jpg

While the dialogue could be a bit cheesy, the action was great and it was far closer to the original Starship Troopers than the actual, far worse movies were. The series didn't even get completed, we ended with the Bugs still on Earth...dammit. :smallmad:

I also have a second one: http://www.ukgameshows.com/page/images/8/8c/Time_commanders_logo.jpg
This was another really obscure one, but as a history buff and R:TW fan watch groups of rather clueless people battle an AI and more often than not get their entire army slaughtered horribly was actually pretty entertaining, even if the only episodes I can watch are ones I get off of a website, seeing as I'm not British.

Hooray for weird shows that only I like! :smallbiggrin:

Turcano
2008-08-21, 09:23 PM
On the British side of things I would like some more Father Ted and Black Books. Both of those were absolutely fantastic, and both could have easily sustained another few series.

While Father Ted was amazing, it wasn't canceled, and Dermot Morgan died like 24 hours after the final episode was shot.

Besides those already mentioned (except to add that Firefly, as a Joss Whedon franchise, should have been given only five years), I would have to add Stark Raving Mad to the list. It starred Tony Shalhoub as a horror writer who constantly pulled pranks on his agent (Neil Patrick Harris); what's not to like?

Trizap
2008-08-21, 10:25 PM
more Scrubs.

thats all for me

Dryken
2008-08-21, 10:33 PM
Mission Hill. By far one of the best animated shows out there.

Semidi
2008-08-21, 10:45 PM
One I haven't seen mentioned (Didn't read page 3):

The animated Spawn series on HBO. It ended after two seasons... On a cliffhanger. I was really enjoying it too...

Pie Guy
2008-08-21, 11:45 PM
Futurama, FTW!

mangosta71
2008-08-22, 01:23 AM
On the topic of MST3K, you guys may want to check out rifftrax.com. For those that are unfamiliar with it, it's Mike Nelson and the crew making a little soundtrack that you play simultaneously with a movie, mocking it MST3K style. The one they did of The Fellowship of the Ring is bloody brilliant.

NerfTW
2008-08-24, 05:00 PM
I don't know about five more years. That's pushing it. Most shows run dry after five years.

I'd say Family Guy, but that was renewed, and they're going on four new seasons.

Futurama has the movies, of which the first four make a season, I think.

But I just really wanted to make the Family Guy comment. :smallbiggrin:

Vonriel
2008-08-25, 02:08 AM
I wish they hadn't given Family Guy more airtime. Seems to me it's really gone downhill since the second/third season. :smallfrown:

Both Stargate series, half going to each. They've yet to even come close to exhausting the potential for Atlantis, yet they cancelled it! The bastards. :smallannoyed:

I spiritually second Firefly, since by this time it'd be somewhere in the neighborhood of one hundredthed. As well as add Futurama, Samurai Jack, Reboot... What else, what else, what else... I would love more episodes of classic cartoons, such as Bugs Bunny, Wile E. Coyote, and Tom & Jerry, but made by the people who first came up with them. New people making the cartoons just.. wouldn't work so well.

Drive, I would've liked to have seen to the beginnings of the second season at least, because I'm not sure how a show like that could be run as a multi-season thing. But, if they did a good job at the beginning of the second season, then yeah, continue with it.

I'm sure there's more, but memory escapes me...

NerfTW
2008-08-25, 11:56 AM
I would love more episodes of classic cartoons, such as Bugs Bunny, Wile E. Coyote, and Tom & Jerry, but made by the people who first came up with them. New people making the cartoons just.. wouldn't work so well.

You would need to raise the dead then. Almost all of the original writers/producers are long dead or senile by now.

chiasaur11
2008-08-25, 01:08 PM
You would need to raise the dead then. Almost all of the original writers/producers are long dead or senile by now.

Sorry. I'm focusing those resources on zombie Jack Kirby.

Selrahc
2008-08-25, 01:21 PM
While Father Ted was amazing, it wasn't canceled, and Dermot Morgan died like 24 hours after the final episode was shot.

Yeah I know. More episodes of it having been made before he died was kind of what I was thinking of.

Jade Falcon
2008-08-26, 09:10 PM
Star Trek Voyager

ok ok, just kidding .. lay down the guns :smallwink:

I would´ve loved to see more from Space - above and beyond. Unfortunately it lasted only one season.

Shosuro Ishii
2008-08-26, 09:25 PM
I don't think there is anything left to be said about Firefly other than it would be nice to be able to watch Summer Glau and enjoy a show for once. I'm sick of having to stomach TSCC just to see her acting.

On an unrelated note, I would have to give at least 2 years to The Mole, because it was easily the best reality TV series to grace America and because ABC sucks at things like casting and scheduling, it probably won't be coming back. I can't possibly be the only person who thinks this show deserves a....what are they on now.....fourth chance.

Off-Topic: I've actually been really disappointed in the Futurama movies. Bender's Big Score was kinda funny, although it felt like continutiy porn at points, but The Beast with A Billion backs was really really unfunny. Not "A Bicyclops Built for Two" bad but really disappointing.

Turcano
2008-08-26, 09:27 PM
Yeah I know. More episodes of it having been made before he died was kind of what I was thinking of.

I figured that, but the OP implies shows that weren't allowed to run their natural course. Also, it might be just me, but it seems that British shows are much more likely to see an actual ending without executive interference, Fawlty Towers notwithstanding. I mean, Last of the Summer Wine has been going for, what, thirty years now?

Kimusabe
2008-08-29, 02:51 AM
For me, Theres three shows that should go on forever!

First and Foremost:
House: This is one of my Favourite shows EVER! My Family bought the first three seasons (are there any more?) and we LOVED it SO much! (mostly just because House is the Man!)

Secondly:
MacGyver: This was one of the best shows ever, I have the first three seasons, (and need more) MacGyver is AWESOMENESS tot the MAXTREME! Hence my MSN adress of "MacGyveroligist"

And Thirdly:
(I know a lot of people probably dissagree but...) Friends. This was DEFINATELY my Favourite show for at least three years, and I really want more, but It's never screening anymore.

Destro_Yersul
2008-08-29, 11:59 AM
First and Foremost:
House: This is one of my Favourite shows EVER! My Family bought the first three seasons (are there any more?) and we LOVED it SO much! (mostly just because House is the Man!)

The Fourth Season of House released on DvD recently.

SDF
2008-08-29, 01:26 PM
Veronica Mars

It is hard for me to convey how much face that show rocked.

Unique
2008-08-29, 02:00 PM
Pinky and the Brain.
I'm sure it's been said, but yes.

I've memorized the Brainstem Song.

Kimusabe
2008-08-29, 07:00 PM
The Fourth Season of House released on DvD recently.

Oh, Cool!
Hopefully I'll remember to get it sometime, although it probably won't be out here yet, we get everything late in New Zealand.
Oh well! Thanks for telling me! :smallbiggrin:

Piedmon_Sama
2008-08-31, 05:49 PM
Justice League Unlimited, or Reboot. Although in fairness, the latter parts where both those shows just go insane and become incredibly awesome was entirely due to knowledge that they were on the verge of cancellation. Batman Beyond and Samurai Jack were also totally cut off before their time--I'm still not sure if Samurai Jack ever had an actual conclusion, or if it just ended without Jack ever reaching the past/destroying Haku.

As much as I loved them in my teenage years, I wouldn't advocate Powerpuff Girls or Dexter's Lab. They were hilairious in their prime, but.... the concept had clearly worn thin by the last seasons of each. I still consider Dexter's actual ending to be the episode where the whole family bands together to defeat a giant monster in Tokyo.

Yes, I am a big overgrown manchild and all I care about are cartoons.

Vaire
2008-09-01, 09:05 AM
As much as I loved them in my teenage years, I wouldn't advocate Powerpuff Girls or Dexter's Lab. They were hilairious in their prime, but.... the concept had clearly worn thin by the last seasons of each. I still consider Dexter's actual ending to be the episode where the whole family bands together to defeat a giant monster in Tokyo.

Yes, I am a big overgrown manchild and all I care about are cartoons.

Cartoons are precious, without them, we never would have learned that dynamite exploding in the face of a coyote won't actually kill, but maim temporarily.

One cartoon I would dearly have loved to see more of, though, was Samurai Jack.

Hopeless
2008-09-01, 03:20 PM
If you had a chance to lengthen the amount of time before any show was canceled by five years, which show would you choose? For me, it'd be between Firefly (which I think will match most choices) or Mystery Science Theatre 3000. Maybe with a bit more likelihood of the former; MST3K had a good long run (I just hate that I was too young when it ran to have known about it or enjoyed it).

Add the Dresden Files to that list