PDA

View Full Version : Call of Cthulhu

DeathBD
2008-07-26, 12:23 AM
Anyone know where to get it? Me and my friends are huge fans of H.P. Lovecraft and we'd love to play it.

mikeejimbo
2008-07-26, 12:23 AM
Anyone know where to get it? Me and my friends are huge fans of H.P. Lovecraft and we'd love to play it.

The d20 version or the Chaosium version?

Waspinator
2008-07-26, 12:38 AM
I like Pokethulhu more. Like they said in Episode 60: Saturday Night's All Right for Frightening, what's the point of summoning evil entities from beyond the reaches of time and space unless they're marketable? :smallbiggrin:

RTGoodman
2008-07-26, 01:04 AM
You can probably find the d20 version pretty easily online (on Amazon or similar sites). I've heard from most people that the non-d20 version is much better and much more horror-ready, though, and it might be harder to find, but you could probably find it on eBay or at your local used bookstore. (I know the ones around me always have AD&D books, d6 and d20 Star Wars stuff, old White Wolf games, and a ton of GURPS and other stuff, so you may have good luck there.)

Ascension
2008-07-26, 01:14 AM
Note that you can order any of the above versions, and more, from Chaosium's own website. (http://www.chaosium.com/) There's even a sale on this weekend!

Winterwind
2008-07-26, 12:04 PM
I found a Chaosium version core rulebook sitting on a shelf in my local roleplaying stuff store. Not a second-hand book, either, a brand new one. So, it's quite possible to just go and buy them; it's not like we're dealing with the Necronomicon here. :smallcool:

Project_Mayhem
2008-07-26, 02:44 PM
I wouldn't bother with the d20 version,firstly because it's out of print and therefore costs too much and has no support, and secondly because the BRP version is at the very least as good, and probably better suited to the genre.

Marstead
2008-07-26, 08:10 PM
CoC's percentage-based skill system is a lot more suited to the genre. You aren't heroic, you're a guy, and you're trying to avoid dying horribly rather than trying to destroy everything. I'd avoid the d20 version, even though it's more familiar.

CoC's basic rule premise is you have d%s, and your skills are a certain % (up to 99%). If you roll up to your percentage in the skill, you succeed, otherwise, you fail. (So if you have a 64% in Pistols, you succeed so long as you roll %01-64, but not %65 or over.) "Leveling up" is improving your skills, which you can do as a consequence of using those skills in the adventure. I doubt d20 could handle it as well for survival horror.

Sinfire Titan
2008-07-26, 10:05 PM
CoC's percentage-based skill system is a lot more suited to the genre. You aren't heroic, you're a guy, and you're trying to avoid dying horribly rather than trying to destroy everything. I'd avoid the d20 version, even though it's more familiar.

CoC's basic rule premise is you have d%s, and your skills are a certain % (up to 99%). If you roll up to your percentage in the skill, you succeed, otherwise, you fail. (So if you have a 64% in Pistols, you succeed so long as you roll %01-64, but not %65 or over.) "Leveling up" is improving your skills, which you can do as a consequence of using those skills in the adventure. I doubt d20 could handle it as well for survival horror.

CoC% is based on WFRP and 40KRP, I'm willing to bet they are made by Games Workshop.

grinner666
2008-07-26, 10:08 PM
I don't want to post a link to copyrighted material, but: search The Pirate Bay.

Sinfire Titan
2008-07-26, 10:12 PM
I don't want to post a link to copyrighted material, but: search The Pirate Bay.

:smallbiggrin:

DeathBD
2008-07-27, 01:37 AM
Actually, I did search Pirate Bay. Hah. None of the torrents had enough seeders. I'll talk to my DM and see what he wants. But I'll take the advice you guys gave me. Thanks a lot. :smallbiggrin: