PDA

View Full Version : Flight of the Iron Star

TheCountAlucard
2008-07-26, 10:30 AM
It was a hot, humid day in the city of Endena. The city air was warm and sticky, and despite the heavy gray clouds overhead, it utterly refused to rain that day. Commoners and laborers wished in vain for a cool breeze as they walked the city streets, sweat staining their clothes.

Stycotl
2008-07-26, 07:00 PM
Eroxon leaves the fletcher with a quiver full of new arrows and pauses in the street, eyes wandering lazily over the small crowds of vendors, shoppers, and cutthroats.

A slow, raspy sigh escapes his throat and he begins walking, searching for his group.

Tar Palantir
2008-07-26, 09:23 PM
Calamar Ordrien

Calamar concludes a rather vehement argument with a dwarven swith on the quality of his family armor just as Eroxon wanders past. Bowing respectfully to the aged dwarf, despite their dispute, he hurries to catch up to the lizardfolk. He calls out, "Eroxon! Find anything? I picked up a new lute to replace the one we lost at the gnoll camp. What's say we break her in?" Without waiting for a response, he whips out a finely crafted lute and begins to play:

Oh, we face foes with swords and bows,
Who'll make us dead or sicker.
But never fear, 'cause Roxy here
Can shoot them dead much quicker!

He finishes with a bow and flourish to the small crowd gathered, refusing any offered coin.

[roll0]

Storm Bringer
2008-07-27, 08:53 AM
"Not so much breaking in the lute as breaking my eardrums. Did you bother to check the tuning of that thing?"

Calamar turned to see Fae approaching form behind

"anyway, I'd finished my bisness here, so where are we off to?"

Stycotl
2008-07-27, 09:25 AM
Exoron grins devilishly as his companion breaks out in song, still wondering at this human penchant for... music. About the closest that lizardfolk came to that was their hissing, screaming challenges of dominance, and their bellowing mating calls.

TheCountAlucard
2008-07-27, 11:08 AM
Although few were impressed by his little performance, a handful of peasants had slowed or stopped to listen. Now that the free show was over, the commoners began to lose interest in the group.

Stycotl
2008-07-28, 03:30 PM
Eroxon looks about, "Why, Calamar, no one even bothered to stay and heckle you."

GimliFett
2008-07-28, 04:01 PM
Tryxtyxlyn

"Ah'd be askin' fer mah moaney back, mon!" the group hears as a stout goblin approaches the assembling group. "Ah leave yoo alohn fer an o-wah an' yoo go an' assault da people, mon! Pshaw!" The dreadlocked goblin grins as he stops within arm's reach of the others. Tryx smacks his darkwood shield against his new copper-tinged breastplate as greeting.

Storm Bringer
2008-07-28, 04:08 PM
"Ah, Trix...tyrx...tryz..." Fae began, failing to get Tryxtyxlyn's name right (agian. While Fae posscessed many talents, correct pronouncitation of Goblin was not among them.).
"You've arrived. good. are we all set, then?"

I am reminded of red dwarf, where Lister complains that is going to have to marry a alien with a name that sounds like a footballer clearing his nose.:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

nothing personal, fett. I just genuinely havn't got a clue how one would actually pronouce that name. And, I'm sorry to say, the jamaican accent leaves me thinking of Wakka form FF10.

GimliFett
2008-07-28, 04:16 PM
Tryxtyxlyn

With an exaggerated sigh, the goblin looks up at Fae and winks. "'Ow manee times Ah got ta tell yoo it's T'riks!" He flips his tongue as the 'T' and 'R' blend together, a little quicker and more distinctly than when one says 'tree'. "Ah be reddy, mon. But wot we doin'?"

No worries. It's all good. :smallbiggrin:
I played FF10 for about 30 minutes before getting sick of it. :smallsmile:
Pronunciation: tricks TICKS lyn; emphasis on second syllable.

Storm Bringer
2008-07-28, 04:18 PM
"one more time, my goblinoid friend. As Always, one more time"

Tar Palantir
2008-07-28, 11:09 PM
Calamar

Calamar makes an attempt to save face after his pitiful performance. "It's a new lute," he posters. "Wasn't properly tuned. Nothing I can do about it now but fix it, and hope for better luck next time." He makes a few adjustments, then stores the instrument in his pack.

GimliFett
2008-07-29, 09:55 AM
Tryxtyxlyn

"'Course it was da lute, mon! We know betta dan dat!" Tryx winks at the bard. "So deed anywan get a leed on owah next bit ov bizness, mon?"

Storm Bringer
2008-07-29, 10:15 AM
"While I am aware that it can be a challenge to differenitate between genders of races different than your own, I feel i must point out that thier is only one 'man' in this party, that being the Right Honerable Calamar Ordrien. the rest of us are, repectivly, A WOman, a Liziard-folk, and a goblin. Once again, I implore you to choose a more acommodating word than 'mon' " Dispite the words, Fae's tone was light, and her face was smirk as she re-hashed a long standing compliant that had long lost it's bite.

: I'm not digging you for the choice of accent, I'n just having fun, gimli. Do tell if it goes to far.

Stycotl
2008-07-29, 07:42 PM
ad-libbing here, if that's all right.

"Calamar and I spent some time asking around for new contracts. There are some interesting rumors, but nothing firm yet. We might have to stay over another night if nothing sparks our interest before then."

Eroxon's voice is raspy and dry, easily mistaken as menacing or hostile to those not accustomed to his mannerisms. But his words are well-formed and clear, the product of many years of on-location study in different lands.

Tar Palantir
2008-07-30, 06:26 AM
Calamar

Calamar nods, and begins to elaborate, "Yeah, we...wait, look at that." He points down the street, about 150 feet away, at a covered wagon pushing through the crowd. "Let's try and get a closer look," he says, before moving along the edge of the street towards the wagon.

You guys can retry your Spot checks with a +4 bonus now. Hopefully then you'll notice the large object I pointed out to you :smalltongue:.

Storm Bringer
2008-07-30, 06:29 AM
[roll0]
Fae looked down the street at the cart. her brow furrowed slightly as it was pointed out.

edit: i missed the +4 out of my roll. the result is actaully 31

GimliFett
2008-07-30, 08:54 AM
Tryx

The goblin looks in the direction Calamar had indicated.

[roll0]
((OOC: Remember that TheCountAlucard has issues with spoiler tags, y'all! Just flared up in my mighty brain!))

Stycotl
2008-07-30, 09:28 AM
(ooc-for count: i had said in my last post, in the spoiler, that i was ad-libbing a bit. sap my hand if you want me to stop at any time.

new spot check: [roll0])

Eroxon's eyes turn in the direction of Calamar's pointing, slightly irritated at first that they were going to gawk at a wagon, but then curious, feeling that something was strange about the situation.

TheCountAlucard
2008-07-30, 12:41 PM
The wagon was closer now, perhaps 120 feet away. It proceeded slowly down the cobblestones on its large wooden wheels, peasants moving to make way. A pair of chestnut-brown horses pulled the oaken wagon along, a canvas canopy protecting the precious cargo from the sun's rays.

GimliFett
2008-07-30, 03:42 PM
Tryx

Tryx notices the wagon to which Cal was trying to draw attention. "Waa-gun!" he responds slowly, as if speaking to a child, with an exaggerated wink at the others before following along.

Storm Bringer
2008-07-30, 04:49 PM
"Yes, Trix. you've seen them before. you know, those things your wilder breathren keep attacking for loot?" Fae asked loudly in scarcastic tones.

ooc: Judging by it's route into town, where would i guess this wagon has come form? I assume it;s on an inbound road (i.e. it's heading into the town center). if it's outbound, what would be it's likey destination if it followed the road it's on?

GimliFett
2008-07-30, 04:55 PM
Tryx

The goblin looks at Fae aghast. "Hey, mon!" he says with a hurt tone in his voice, though the smile shows it to be one of his many jests. "Dat no be mah clan. Clan Ganjah has been friends ta Endena fer sum time noo."

He nods back at the wagon. "Dey comin' or goin'? Might need sum help if da latter, eh, mon?"

Storm Bringer
2008-07-30, 05:18 PM
"Nah, he's heading into town. this road leads off to the southeast.... I dunno, maybe thier out of Veria? seems a long way to form them to come, but who knows?"

Stycotl
2008-07-31, 02:47 PM
"Good point. We've checked every other possible job in this town. Maybe we ought to at least see what these ones are up to. Maybe they have information, if not an actual job."

Eroxon's transparent eyelids slide up over his eyes for a moment as he blinks, and then he heads slowly after the wagon.

Storm Bringer
2008-07-31, 02:57 PM
Eroxon felt a hand on his shoulder
"let me talk too them. No offense, but you're .....lizardly nature tends to put a downer on attempts at diplomacy."

with that Fae strode ahead of the others, making a beeline for the wagon.

ooc: I head for the wagon. while I'm not making any serious attempt to hide this, though I'm not exactly jumping up and down shouting "hey! Wagon Driver! Got any jobs?" either (yet). I am, however, keeping a close eye on the wagon

spot roll (if needed):[roll0] + any modifers you deem nesscary.

Tar Palantir
2008-07-31, 04:09 PM
Calamar

Calamar shifts his armor and follows, saying, "I'll go along as well. They might be nobles, after all, and my presence could be beneficial, or at the very least, I may recognize them or their family." He adjusts his clothing, which is quite impressive, clearly marking him as nobility, even without his family crest on armor, shield, and signet ring.

TheCountAlucard
2008-07-31, 06:45 PM
Walking alongside the wagon are two men. The first is bare-chested, revealing his muscular, battle-scarred abdomen. The second man might also be muscular, but the thick fat that covers his body makes it uncertain. A chain shirt barely stretches over his gut. Both are huge, easily six feet tall.

Stycotl
2008-08-01, 11:09 AM
Eroxon follows behind Fae, watching the guard-types with curious interest, and his usual dose of suspicious scrutiny.

Stycotl
2008-08-04, 12:32 PM
(ooc-bump)

Eroxon sniffs the air as he follows Fae toward the covered wagon. The smells of refuse, food, the local tavern, and more assail his nostrils as he walks. With a wrinkle of his brow, the lizardfolk dreams of the raw meat delicacies of his tribe.

Storm Bringer
2008-08-05, 03:21 PM
Fae walks up to the pair of guards and smiles her sweetest smile.

"Pray, tell, good travellers, what is the lastest news from the south?"

ooc:
diplomacy: [roll0]
spot (just in case) [roll1]

edit: ouch. right that's IT. I've bloody well had it with this bleeding forum roller. I'm using Invisable castle form here on out.:smallmad::smallmad:

Tar Palantir
2008-08-05, 08:40 PM
Calamar

Calamar walks up beside his druidic ally and bows respectfully, saying, "We are interested in whatever news you bear. We are currently looking to hire out the services of our band of adventurers, but we are in want of potential employers. Tough times."

[roll0]

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-05, 10:12 PM
The fat man notices the group first. He points them out to the other guard as he walks. "Well met!" he exclaims. "You can call me Boar. I'd love to talk, but my brother and I are guarding the wagon now, and Boss is kinda strict." He gestures to the wagon.

"We're almost there, though," he says. "Maybe we could talk later."

GimliFett
2008-08-06, 09:45 AM
Tryx

The goblin follows along beside Eroxon.

Tar Palantir
2008-08-06, 07:27 PM
Calamar

Calamar lifts his head and bows his head, saying, "We wouldn't want to interfere with your duty. If your boss had need of more sellswords, though, where might we find him?"

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-06, 10:04 PM
Boar continues to walk as he speaks. "He owns a shop; we're headed there now. I suppose you can just follow us along, if you wish."

Stycotl
2008-08-09, 12:35 PM
Eroxon nods his reptilian head in approval of the guard's idea. "Thank you for the suggestion."

Stycotl
2008-08-10, 11:49 PM
Erox, bored and restless, decides to make conversation on the chance that it might actually lead to some useful information, or perhaps later, allies. "Are you both from this town, or somewhere else?"

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-11, 12:19 AM
The other man spoke. "Nah, Boar and I aren't from here," he said. "My name's Wolf, by the way. And what do you call yourself?"

Tar Palantir
2008-08-11, 09:54 AM
Calamar

Calamar points to himself, then each of his companions in turn, saying, "My name is Calamar of the house of Ordrien. My companions are Eroxon, Fae, and Tryx, respectively. It is a pleasure to meet you." He continues to walk beside the two guards.

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-11, 11:08 AM
"Ordrien?" Boar says curiously as he walks. "We were hired by an Ordrien a few months back. He wanted us to stop a band of ogres. That's where I got this."

Boar produces a large morningstar. The steel spikes on the weapon's head gleam in the sunlight.

Storm Bringer
2008-08-11, 11:35 AM
"truly a fearsome weapon" fae notes.

OOC: nothing much to say, just making it clear I've nothing much to say.

Stycotl
2008-08-11, 03:38 PM
Eroxon's eyes widen at the sight of the weapon. "Impressive. It probably weighs as much as I."

Tar Palantir
2008-08-11, 06:58 PM
Calamar glanced over the weapon with interest, then said, "Karn's work, if I'm not mistaken. The blacksmith with the dragontooth necklace? He crafted most of my equipment as well. Best blacksmith within a hundred miles of Castle Ordrien, and a fine warrior as well. Any news of interest from my kinsfolk? I have not been home in a few years."

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-11, 11:16 PM
"I don't know who made it," admits Boar. "I just grabbed it off one of the ogres we defeated, but it's proven to be a very potent weapon."

Boar shrugs and puts away the morningstar. "I apologize for not bearing news from your family."

Wolf points ahead, to a squat one-story stone building. "Here's the shop," he says. The wagon slows as it approaches, until it comes to a complete stop.

GimliFett
2008-08-12, 02:46 PM
Tryx

Tryx scowls at the mention of the blacksmith's necklace. "Damned disr'specful's wot it iz, mon!" the goblin mutters as he continues to follow along.

Storm Bringer
2008-08-12, 03:50 PM
"A great number of people do a great number of disrepectful things, trix....sorry,Tryx. If I took every offense to druidic values seriously, I'd long since have got myself killed" Fae muttered to the goblin.

As the wagon pulled up, fae moved to lean agianst the shop wall.

occ: to clarify, I'm moving so that i can see anybody exiting the wagon while not actaully being in thier way.

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-12, 04:45 PM
A dwarf and a gnome emerge from the wagon, carrying a single large crate. They carefully walk the wooden box inside.

Tar Palantir
2008-08-12, 06:33 PM
Calamar

Calamar whispers to Fae and Tryx, with a little venom, "That old green killed half a village in one night. He got off easy. He should have been made into an outhouse."

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-13, 07:44 AM
The dwarf and gnome return and begin to unload more boxes from the wagon. The red-bearded dwarf hefts a crate and takes it inside. The gnome wipes the sweat from his brow before bringing another box in.

Storm Bringer
2008-08-13, 07:47 AM
"think we should offer to help? might get us in thier good books......" Fae mused looking at the others.

Tar Palantir
2008-08-13, 09:10 AM
Calamar

Calamar adds, "And it's the polite thing to do," before walking over to the back of the wagon and asking the workers, "Need a hand?"

GimliFett
2008-08-13, 09:28 AM
Tryx

The goblin nods to his friend. "Fair 'nuff. I didn' know dat part, Cal," the goblin whispers in apology as he moves to help if the workers accept.

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-13, 09:32 AM
"Sure, you can help," says the dark-haired gnome. "Just be careful."

The dwarf hands a wooden crate to Calamar, and a smaller one to Fae. A third box goes to Tryx before the dwarf and gnome pick up the last two boxes and carry them.

Tar Palantir
2008-08-13, 10:11 AM
Calamar

Calamar hefts the box with relative ease and follows the dwarf and gnome inside.

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-13, 10:37 AM
(OOC: Assuming everyone goes inside...)

The only illumination in the small shop comes from an oil lamp that rests on a stand. Near the back of the room is a staircase leading down. Crates are stacked in one corner of the room. By the stairs is a wooden chest. Lying on another stand near the crates is a longsword. A small humanoid figure sits on the floor by the chest.

Storm Bringer
2008-08-13, 10:43 AM
"so, where do you want this, mr.....?" Fae asked, hooking for a name. suddenly, she frowns.

"who said that?" she asked, puting the crate down by the rest of them.

Tar Palantir
2008-08-13, 12:10 PM
Calamar

Calamar shakes his head and blinks as he walks in. He stares at the small figure guardedly. He asks it, "Was that you?"

GimliFett
2008-08-13, 12:16 PM
Tryx

Tryx looks at his friends, arched eyebrow asking the question. "Was whot who? Whotcha talkin' bout, mon?" he asks looking from one to the other.

Storm Bringer
2008-08-13, 12:23 PM
"hush" Fae says distractedly, waving the goblin down. "He's talking" Fae nodded towards the creature.

OOC: I assume that Tal has also been reciving PM's form the GM. I'll explian properly in a moment.

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-13, 12:27 PM
The small figure stands. It is a hunchbacked humanoid with long arms. Just an inch or so over four feet in height, it is dressed in a dirty overcoat several sizes too large for it. A hood almost conceals its heavily-bandaged face. It nods at Calamar, making a raspy coughing sound from somewhere behind the bandages.

Stycotl
2008-08-13, 12:33 PM
Eroxon is the last one in the building, taking a quick peek outside as he goes in. The poison dusk lizardfolk pauses when he sees Fae and Calamar's reactions, and the strange figure rising at their entrance. Quietly, calmly, his right hand finds the fletching on an arrow, and his left grasps his longbow, alert and ready.

Storm Bringer
2008-08-13, 12:40 PM
"Oh, put that down, Eroxon." Fae says irritably. "It's bad manners to walk into someones home and then threaten them. Anyway, this" Fae guestures at the creature. "Is Jirin, the shopkeeper" Fae looks apologetically at Jirin."See what i mean about us tending to be jumpy?"

GimliFett
2008-08-13, 12:56 PM
Tryx

The goblin smiles at his friends as well as Jirin. "Sorry, mon! It's just a bit odd's all!" Tryx bows apologetically to Jirin.

Stycotl
2008-08-13, 01:01 PM
Erox stutter-steps as he hears a voice in his head, and looks about, eyes going to the bandaged figure. Then he scowls as Fae admonishes him. "I was threatening no one! I was merely being cautious." That said, his features soften, his eyes returning to the figure, "You are Jirin?"

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-13, 01:19 PM
Jirin nods again, then steps closer. He bows low, and then gestures to the crates.

GimliFett
2008-08-13, 01:30 PM
Tryx

Tryx grins at Jirin and then nods for Cal or Fae to speak.

Stycotl
2008-08-13, 01:50 PM
Eroxon's glassy lids slide over his reptilian eyes quickly, and his head ***** to the side. He observes Jirin for a moment as the other's words sound in his thoughts, and then speaks, his voice a gravelly purr. "Our pleasure. We seek either word, or employ--preferrably both. We undertake mercenary work of a sort, and are always out looking for another job."

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-13, 02:11 PM
Boar and Wolf enter the shop and approach Jirin. "Uhh, hey, Boss," says Wolf, "Boar and I are gonna go now, okay?"

Jirin turns toward the brothers and burrows into the deep pockets of his coat.

"Umm, yes," says Wolf. "Of course."

Jirin hands Wolf a small pouch, which clinks as he takes it.

"If you want to meet us later," whispers Boar to the others, "we're staying at Six's Inn. I'll buy you all a round."

GimliFett
2008-08-13, 02:15 PM
Tryx

Tryx's grin broadens. "See ya den, den!" he chirps at Boar.

Storm Bringer
2008-08-13, 04:54 PM
"As the lizardman says, we are adventures looking for employ, or tale of where employ may be found. Or just a tale, if you are so inclined. stories are always welcome."
Fae paused for a moment, then continued.
"by the way, what wares do you sell?"

Tar Palantir
2008-08-13, 07:06 PM
Calamar

Calamar is more than a bit perturbed by the voice in his head, but shakes himself out of his stupor after a few moments. He sets down his crate near the indicated stack, then says, "I apologize for my rudeness. I am simply a little uncomfortable with your chosen form of communication. My name is Calamar Ordrien, and as my companions have said, we are in search of work. Might you have a suitable task for us?"

Stycotl
2008-08-13, 10:45 PM
Eroxon nods to the bandaged figure as he continues to hear the voice in his head. Naturally superstitious, it is obvious that Erox is somewhat uncomfortable with the interchange, but he composes himself and steps forward, small compared to some of his companions, but confident and square-shouldered. "We would be very interested in hearing your proposition."

Stycotl
2008-08-14, 12:03 AM
Erox relaxes a bit, looking to his companions to see if they too have heard the last bit of information. Then he looks back to Jirin, "It does bring me a little bit of peace to know that you communicate as you do because you lack the ability to speak. Thank you for telling me."

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-14, 07:54 AM
Jirin coughs again. *I hope you were not frightened.* After a pause, he shuffles over to the stairs. *Anyway, on to business. I have something you can do, but I must get something first.* As he slowly descends out of sight, he gestures toward the crates, chest, and sword. *I'll be back in a moment. Please don't touch anything.*

Stycotl
2008-08-15, 12:02 PM
Erox nods, "We will wait here then."

GimliFett
2008-08-15, 12:44 PM
Tryx

Tryx's normally dark skin seems to redden a bit more. "Sorry 'bout dat, mon! I didn' realize," he says to Jirin as he departs.

He looks at his friends. "'Parently, he canno' read our t'oughts, only speak inta our minds."

Storm Bringer
2008-08-15, 01:16 PM
"Yhea, he told me as well."
fae said finding a box to sit on. "Well, i wonder what work he might have for us?" she mused, then grinned wickedly. "considering the employer, this may well be intresting"

GimliFett
2008-08-15, 01:18 PM
Tryx

"I hope so. I'm bored," the goblin mutters as he shuffles his feet and looks around the warehouse.

As his friends knew, a bored Tryx was trouble.

Storm Bringer
2008-08-15, 01:25 PM
"how about a riddle?" fae asked, an eyebrow raised in questioning.

"what is greater than the gods,
Worse than the devils
the rich want it
the poor have it
and if you eat it, you die."

fae smiled slightly"nice easy one for ya, to start with."

GimliFett
2008-08-15, 01:39 PM
Tryx

"Ya realize I be a coppa' dragon shaman, right?" Tryx asks with an arched eyebrow and a grin of his sharp teeth. "De answer be nut'in', mon."

Storm Bringer
2008-08-15, 01:53 PM
"yhea, but I gotta start somewhere, havn't I?" fae says defensivly. I mean, i could start telling them in duridic, or maybe in sylvan, but i thought you might object

"anyway, here's another:

two men are both in persuit of the same woman, who is unsure of which to marry. She askes her father to decide a contest to help her choose. Her father, who is not that taken on either of them, decides to think up a contest that neither would want to a actaully win.

so he comes up with this: the two men are to hold a race, between the market square of the nearest town to the church of their hometown, where their bride will be waiting. However, whoever's horse crosses the line last shall get the bride, not the frist one there.

Now, both men realise this could lead to a rather long race, and aggree to visit a local wise man for his help. the wise ponders this for a moment, then says four words. the two men then leave, both determined to race as hard as they can and to try and get to the finish line frist.

What four words did the wise man say?

ooc: In case you haven't guessed, the speech in different formatting is supposed to be in duridic and sylvan, respectivly.

GimliFett
2008-08-15, 02:10 PM
Tryx

"Whotev'a ya said, I dunno, mon," the goblin says with a smile at his friend. When Fae delivers the riddle, Tryx nods as he listens. "Dat wun's a bit tricky-ah." He pauses a moment. "De wise-man say: 'Ride de oddah's horse, or somesuch."

Storm Bringer
2008-08-15, 02:15 PM
"not bad" fae admits.

Okay, heres a real classic one
It can run but it never walks,
It has a mouth yet it never talks,
Owns a head, but never weeps,
May lie in a bed but never sleeps? "

ooc: are you actaully working this out, or just googling them, out of intrest:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:?

GimliFett
2008-08-15, 02:19 PM
Tryx

Tryx hardly contains himself while waiting for Fae to finish. "A riva'," he crows as heartbeat after she finishes. His toothy grin broadens as he is clearly enjoying himself.

ooc: I'm google-free! :smalltongue: The first I knew, straight off. The second I just had to think about for a moment. This one popped into my head immediately. I like riddles. Ever since The Hobbit in second grade (SOOOOOO LONG AGO!). :smallbiggrin:

Storm Bringer
2008-08-15, 02:24 PM
ooc: that's refreshing to here.

"damm. that copper dragon must have been bored. er.....

At night they come without being fetched,
And by day they are lost without being stolen." fae reeled off.

GimliFett
2008-08-15, 02:28 PM
Tryx

"Stars!" the goblin hisses before erupting into a cackling giggle.

ooc: Why thank you! :smallbiggrin:

Storm Bringer
2008-08-15, 03:00 PM
"why he have to be a Copper dragon shaman..... fae muttered in druidic.
What can you... fae stopped, blushed slightly, and started agian, this time in common.sorry. you catch but not throw?"

GimliFett
2008-08-15, 03:17 PM
Tryx

The goblin looks puzzled for a moment, but his eyes light up after only another moment's thought. "Ya left part off, in d'at odda langwidge, but it's a cold!"

Storm Bringer
2008-08-15, 03:39 PM
"Okay, I'm out. I know a few riddles, and you just sloved them." fae throws her hands up in the air in surrender. "you beat me, tyrx"

ooc: I'm off to bed. Gotta get up early in the morn and go straight to work. don't expect anything for about.....oh, 15 or so hours. maybe more, it the familiy decide to go for a walk.

GimliFett
2008-08-15, 04:07 PM
Tryx

Tryx briefly hops around and does a jig. "I'm da winnah!"

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-15, 05:59 PM
Jirin makes his way back up the stairs, carrying a sword in his bandaged hands. What might've been a mangled attempt at a chuckle escaped from inside Jirin's hood.

*Riddles, eh? I've got one for you... an adventurer such as yourselves decides to infiltrate a temple of cultists. He hides by the entrance and watches.
*A man comes to the door, and from inside comes a shout, 'Twelve!' He says 'Six!' and is let in.
*A second man comes. 'Six!' 'Three!' and he enters.
*The adventurer approaches the door. 'Ten!' 'Five!' he says, and is killed on the spot.
*What should he have said?*

He sets the fine blade down on a crate and turns to the goblin.

Stycotl
2008-08-17, 12:53 AM
Eroxon chuckles as Tryx solves the last one. Then he sees Jirin return and looks curiously to the blade.

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-18, 06:35 PM
The elegant rapier glows with a soft light as it rests upon the crate. Its blade is of a silvery color, and the guard is of gleaming gold. The grip is made of sharkskin, and a fine obsidian orb is clutched in the pommel of the sword.

Tar Palantir
2008-08-18, 07:14 PM
Calamar

Calamar listens with interest at the riddle game. Cordrir, his younger brother and modestly capable sorcerer, had always been fascinated by riddles, but Calamar never could puzzle his way around them. He was si,ply too grounded in the here and now to work them out. He carefully examined the fine blade that Jirin presented, quite a piece of work, if not to his taste. He always favored heavier blades over the lighter rapiers and short swords. He said, "That's a marvelous blade. Might I ask the name of the craftsmen behind such a beauty?"

Stycotl
2008-08-18, 10:43 PM
"Cursed?" Erox looks up from the blade to Jirin's face, unease settling on his features, colored by the natural superstition of his people.

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-19, 09:23 AM
The deformed shopkeeper makes a wheezing sound as he nods softly. Jirin points to the rapier with a long, bandaged finger.

Stycotl
2008-08-19, 12:48 PM
"How could one know for sure?" Eroxon asks, still eyeing the blade suspiciously.

GimliFett
2008-08-19, 01:51 PM
Tryx

The goblin had been chewing mightily on Jirin's riddle. In a sudden burst of inspiration, he shouts: "T'REE, MON!" as he holds up three fingers triumphantly.

OOC: Just occurred to me! Der. I knew I knew the answer!

Storm Bringer
2008-08-19, 01:55 PM
"Oh really? Elaborate, please." Fae said, guestureing to the goblin to continue.

GimliFett
2008-08-19, 01:59 PM
Tryx

Grinning, Tryx nods and holds up both hands, wiggling the fingers. "De first wahn be 'twelve'. Reply be 'six'. Letters in de word, mon. Next be 'six' and 't'ree'. So, 'ten' is also 't'ree'!"

Storm Bringer
2008-08-19, 02:02 PM
"ah......" Fae said in the tones of the enlightened. "brilliant, my shamanic companion. Now, to busieness. I belive you mentioned you might have a job for us, Jirin?" the Druid turned to the shopkeeper.

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-19, 02:03 PM
Jirin laughs his strange laugh again and nods. He bows to the goblin, and then picks up the sword carefully.

*As I've already informed some of you, this blade is cursed. Several of those who have sought to use it have died. Its curse only seems to activate when it strikes a particularly effective blow.*

GimliFett
2008-08-19, 02:25 PM
Tryx

The goblin beams at Jirin's praise, but his grin shifts into a puzzled look. "T'anks, mon! Now, ya say de curse activates when it succeeds best? D'at be strange, mon."

Storm Bringer
2008-08-19, 03:29 PM
Fae spoke a short rhyme in Sylvan, then switched to common to translate "To understand an thing, you must know the Maker." Fae shrugged. "To make a blade whoose curse only undermines you at your point of greatest sucess is equally as logical as to make a blade that is cursed At all. If it's trigger in irregular, then compensating for it is difficult, thus making it more likey that someone will be caught by the curse, which is the whole point of a Cursed weapon"

Fa looked at the blade Am I to assume that our quest is to remove the curse on this sword?"

GimliFett
2008-08-19, 03:32 PM
Tryx

Tryx stares at Fae as she rambles through her circular logic, his previously puzzled expression worsening to one of complete befuddlement.

Storm Bringer
2008-08-19, 03:35 PM
"So, you're copper dragon taught you lots of riddles, but did nothing on philosophy?" fae asked.

GimliFett
2008-08-19, 03:38 PM
Tryx

"D'at's mo' Brass or Bronze, mon. Philosophy be booorin'!"

Stycotl
2008-08-19, 03:45 PM
Erox shies away from the group at Fae's mention of uncursing a cursed sword. "I don't think that I shall go anywhere near it."

Storm Bringer
2008-08-19, 03:46 PM
"Indeed. The Elder druids, however, are fond of it."Fae said with feeling. "One cannot get very far in my profession without being exposed to a lot of pondering on the nature of things." the druid waved her hand in a dismissive gesture.

"Anyway, the point i was trying to make is that Form of a Curse doesn't need to make sense to an outside observer. All a curse needs to do is activate when given critera are met. Now, maybe the person who placed the curse on the blade found that it was easier to make it the way it is now than any other way, or maybe he had a more complex reason.

Whatever that was, it made sense to him. It i doesn't follow that it makes sense to us. follow?"

Stycotl
2008-08-19, 03:51 PM
The poison dusk lizardfolk listens to Fae's druidic knowledge with dubious discomfort (can i get extra points for alliteration?), and then looks back to Jirin, "Where did you acquire that cursed blade from?"

ooc-erox is as subtley, but thoroughly studying both jirin and the sword, trying to make his perusal appear to be merely fearful fascination. in fact though, he is looking for distinguishing marks on the weapon, its alloy or composition if at all possible, and trying to find anything visible among jirin's bandages that might speak of his race (since i don't think that has been established yet), or anything else that i might recognize.

GimliFett
2008-08-19, 03:53 PM
OOC: Stycotl, I'd have given you bonus points if you'd used dissertation instead of knowledge. :smalltongue:

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-19, 04:31 PM
Jirin looked from one adventurer to another. *I found the sword in one of my crates the other day.* He held the sword in one hand, gesturing with the other to the stairs leading down. *The crate was supposed to have a few bottles of wine in it, but when I opened it, all I found was this sword. I was a bit suspicious, of course, so I asked some questions around town, and that's how I found out its previous owners have died.*

GimliFett
2008-08-20, 01:51 PM
Tryx

The goblin looks a little perplexed. "Dead? Well, d'at's...no good!"

Stycotl
2008-08-20, 07:58 PM
(OOC: Okay, Stycotl, can I get a few skill checks on the OOC thread to represent that?)

Jirin looked from one adventurer to another as he held the sword in one hand, gesturing with the other to the stairs leading down.

ooc-my bad. didn't even think of that. i've been running around like a head with my chicken cut--wait... forthcoming.
Erox looks to the stairs that Jirin is gesturing at, half expecting to see something else cursed.

Stycotl
2008-08-21, 10:41 PM
"So did you find out how the other owners died?"

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-22, 04:09 AM
Jirin nods. *From what I heard, their life was drained out of them.* He shudders and wrings his hands.

GimliFett
2008-08-22, 08:47 AM
Tryx

Tryx arches an eyebrow beneath his dreadlocks. "Drained?!" he exclaims. "D'is gets worse 'n worse, mon!" he mutters. "So, wotcha wannus ta do, mon?"

Stycotl
2008-08-22, 01:23 PM
Erox nods in agreement with Tryx's assessment of the situation and lets a tiny hiss escape his reptilian maw.

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-23, 11:04 AM
Jirin looks at the group. *I was hoping a group of seasoned adventurers such as yourselves might be able to lift the curse from the blade without damaging it. I'd be willing to pay you for your efforts.*

Stycotl
2008-08-23, 11:59 AM
Eroxon listens to Jirin and then looks immediately to Fae when he is done, "I suppose that this would be where you come in."

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-25, 06:54 AM
A young dwarf woman enters Jirin's shop. Her long brown hair hangs braided behind her, and she wears a black glove on her right hand. She is dressed in the casual clothing of the merchant class, with a dark green knee-length skirt and blouse.

"Excuse me, I'm looking for a goblin by the name of Jirin," she says softly.

The shopkeeper looks in her direction, and the woman's eyes widen in shock. She is silent as she stares at Jirin.

Storm Bringer
2008-08-25, 07:28 AM
"Me? arcane knowledge is not my area, Eroxon. If it don't grow, I don't care about it."

ooc:
I have no ranks in any knowledge skill save Nature. We'll have to find an NPC to help us in that respect.

GimliFett
2008-08-25, 11:10 AM
Tryx

The dragon shaman grins. "Flattery will get ya far, mon!" he says before a more serious look overtakes his face. "Shooldn't be too much trouble ta figg'r out, d'o! Not d'at ah cood use it, m'self, mon."

As the dwarven woman comes in with her question, Tryx turns his gaze from the dwarf to Jirin and back. "Goblin?"

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-25, 11:23 AM
Not seeming to hear Tryx's inquiry, Jirin continues staring intently at the dwarven woman, who returns his gaze with shocked surprise. She takes a nervous step toward the crates, and then rushes forward and seizes the sword from Jirin's hands.

Jirin makes a spluttering surprised sound as the weapon is taken from him.

Stycotl
2008-08-25, 04:17 PM
Erox shrugs at Fae's answer, "Hmm, well I know very little about such things. Perhaps Tryx would be better suited?"

Then, he turns as the dwarf enters, and when he sees her nervous demeanor, tenses. Then, as she rushes the goblin, Erox steps into the doorway, arrow nocked, ready for her return rush (readied action: fire upon her attempted exit)

His voice is a sharp, reptilian hiss, "Stop, dwarf-thief, and you shall have a chance to explain yourself. Else..." His arrow is pointed at the nape of her neck, with nothing but crates beyond her at this angle.

GimliFett
2008-08-25, 04:23 PM
Tryx

The goblin hisses as the blade is taken from Jirin. "Anudda move an' it will be amongst ya las', t'eef!" he growls menacingly as he readies his morningstar.

[roll0]

Storm Bringer
2008-08-25, 04:55 PM
In a blur of movment, three feet of sharpened steel appear in fae's hand, slashing at the dwarven thief.

"WHat in the Name of the gods do you think you are DOING, woman!" fae shouts.

ooc:
frist, due to me forrgetting to put a + sign in front of the 4 in my initiative box on my sheet before (:smallfurious::smallfurious:), I'm actaullly on 24.

second, I'm going to wack this B**** for givning dwarfs a bad reputation!

attack roll: 1d20+4=14
(http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1707548/)
damage: 2d6+1=3 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1707550/)

Tar Palantir
2008-08-25, 05:31 PM
Calamar

Calamar has no desire to fight the woman, but moves to cut off her escape. He draws his sword and says, "Stand down and let's talk about this. You don't want that sword, trust me."

OOC: 5-foot step into the doorframe, draw sword, and ready shield.

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-25, 08:28 PM
The she-dwarf dodges Fae's attack. Her eyes briefly flash from Eroxon to Calamar to Tryx. She spits on the ground and begins to shimmer.

(OOC: If you wish to make attacks of opportunity, you may do so now...)

Tar Palantir
2008-08-25, 08:40 PM
Calamar

Calamar swings at the vanishing dwarf, still trying to avoid causing undo harm.

OOC: Attacking at -4 for nonlethal damage.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Stycotl
2008-08-25, 10:44 PM
Erox looses an arrow at the dwarf as she begins to disappear, and quick as lightning, he nocks and looses another, hoping that he catches her before she goes invisible, ethereal, or sjust goes omewhere else. "I warned you."

two attacks w/ rapid shot, both at -2 to hit:

1st shot:
[roll0]
[roll1]

2nd shot:
[roll2]
[roll3]

Stycotl
2008-08-25, 10:47 PM
hrrrmmmm. *angry black clouds forming over my head.*

ooc- oh yeah, my bad. first shot i rolled a 9, and second shot i rolled a 10.

and no, you can't make AoO with a ranged weapon (or at least, erox can't), but you said it was my turn, and so i shot, using rapid shot.

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-25, 11:08 PM
(OoC: It's still the dwarf woman's turn, though. We're just resolving the attacks of opportunity...)

Storm Bringer
2008-08-26, 03:11 AM
AOO: 1d20+4= 24! (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1708116/)
crit confirm: 1d20+4=19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1708117/)

damage (if not a crit):1d6+1=4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1708118/)

damage (if crit): 2d6+2=13 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1708119/)

I hope that is a yay.......

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-26, 06:29 AM
Despite the dwarf woman's attempt to dodge, Fae's blade catches the she-dwarf on the forearm this time; however, no wound is left behind.

GimliFett
2008-08-27, 02:01 PM
Tryx

"Yer choice!" Tryx bellows as he brings his morningstar to bear on the dwarf.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-27, 02:25 PM
The goblin's weapon misses the thief, who chuckles to herself as she disappears.

For a moment, it looks like Jirin is going to punch something. Finally he sighs in a resigned manner and sits down.

GimliFett
2008-08-27, 02:31 PM
Tryx

Tryx turns to Jirin. "Friend'a yers, mon?" he asks with an arched eyebrow. "Wot be her stoory?"

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-27, 02:35 PM
*I don't know her; she's no friend of mine.* Jirin's fists clench and unclench as he sits on the ground.

*However, it seems that she is telepathic, like me.*

Stycotl
2008-08-28, 02:57 PM
Erox

"Telepathic? That is too rare to be a coincidence, I would believe."

Storm Bringer
2008-08-28, 04:00 PM
"Mind saving the debate until after we're sure she has left the building?" fae asked, eyes and ears still preening for teh dwarven woman.

ooc: I take it trying to use detect magic to pick up the sword would be cheating, wouldn't it?

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-28, 04:16 PM
(OOC: Well, considering that you never marked down which 0-level spells you've prepared, I could rule that you never prepared any of them... but I wouldn't do that. Go ahead and Detect Magic.)

Storm Bringer
2008-08-28, 04:36 PM
Fae looks around for a moment, then mutters something, her eyes half closed as her hands shift though a rapid series of arcane guestures. when she opens her eyes again, their seems to be a.....energy about them that wasn't present before.

ooc: I cast detect magic. Do i see any scorces of magic not directly linked me or any other player character?

Stycotl
2008-08-29, 06:20 PM
Erox grumbles and walks for the door as he replaces his bow and arrow, and draws instead his kukri. As he moves past Calamar, he examines the ground immediately outside of the door, looking for tracks that cover up their own.

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-29, 06:38 PM
The clouds overhead have increased, lowering the temperature significantly as the lizardman steps out. However, his keen eyes can find no tracks that might have been left behind by the dwarf woman.

GimliFett
2008-08-30, 12:28 AM
Tryx

Tryx coughs loudly. "'Ey, mon?" he says with a subtle nod towards the stairs.

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-30, 02:38 AM
The shopkeeper looks toward the stairs. *Good idea, she might be hiding down there.*

Stycotl
2008-08-30, 11:04 PM
"Nothing outside. I will stand guard in the doorway if you want to head downstairs to check. It is either that, or she is in the room still--hence the need for one of us to stand in this doorway--or she really disappeared, what do you call that, teleport, or something similar?"

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-01, 11:43 AM
(OOC: GimliFett has PMed me, saying that he'll finish his turn by moving toward the stairs.)

*Not a bad idea.*

Jirin moves to the stand with the sword. He rubs along the side of it, and a click can be heard. It opens, revealing a small cubbyhole inside. Jirin withdraws a small shortsword and a buckler.

GimliFett
2008-09-02, 11:37 AM
Tryx

The goblin grins at Jirin. "More to ya then looks, eh mon?" He heads waits for the others before moving down the stairs ahead of them.

Storm Bringer
2008-09-02, 11:56 AM
fae heads downstairs, her eyes seemingly a little out of focus.

ooc: I head dowstairs. and i give up on the detect magic.

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-02, 01:25 PM
The stairs lead down to an utterly dark basement. Not even a candle illuminates the room.

GimliFett
2008-09-02, 01:28 PM
Tryx

Tryx tries to get a look around before someone gets a normal light source.

OOC: Goblins have darkvision to 60'. :smallbiggrin:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
EDIT: Not that it'll matter much. :smallannoyed:

Storm Bringer
2008-09-02, 01:29 PM
"trvix, My little companion, you can see in the dark, you lead on." Fae said, reaching the bottom of the stairs and fumbling for her lantern.

GimliFett
2008-09-02, 01:40 PM
Tryx

"Jirin? Wot does it take ta open d'at door?" Tryx inquires with a nod to the far doorway.

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-02, 01:44 PM
*It pushes open, but it's very, very heavy. It takes a lot of effort to open.*

GimliFett
2008-09-03, 11:09 AM
Tryx

"Fair 'nuff," he mutters as he looks around, all senses alert for any sound or movement that would reveal the thief.

"Wot 'bout d'e rest a ya? Anythin'?" Tryx inquires.

Storm Bringer
2008-09-03, 11:13 AM
"Look, I'm a human. we don't do unlit rooms.....Ah, their we go." Fae finally managed to get her Lantern to catch, and the room was slowly lit with the flickering light.

GimliFett
2008-09-03, 11:15 AM
Tryx

The goblin turns back to Fae, a broad grin splitting his face. He winks and starts to look around once more.

Storm Bringer
2008-09-03, 11:21 AM
"I swear, one of these days, I'm going to kill you out of sheer frustration." Fae mutters, keeping her eyes pealed for any signs of movment.

spot check: 1d20+7=19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1718627/)

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-03, 02:12 PM
Light floods the room, which is slightly larger than the shop above. A small wooden table and chair sit in the middle of the room, and the walls are lined with wooden crates, many of which are open. Across the room is a crude stone door.

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-03, 06:32 PM
Jirin straps the buckler to his arm and heads down the stairs, gripping the shortsword in his bandaged hands. *I'm terribly sorry about all this. That blasted thief...* The merchant looks about. *I don't see her.*

Stycotl
2008-09-03, 06:38 PM
Erox settles into an easy stance by the door, rapier and kukri in his hands. As his companions head downstairs, he waits, listening, watching.

"Yell to me if you find her, and I will do the same for you."

GimliFett
2008-09-04, 10:31 AM
Tryx

Tryx chuckles as he moves to the door and turns back around, facing the stairs. "I t'ink d'at's d'e point, Jirin. I don' see how she cood'a gotten out, d'ough!" he says as he shakes his head.

Storm Bringer
2008-09-04, 10:39 AM
Fae lent by the stairs, lantern in hand., still serverying the room.

She considers the door in the fall wall.

"what's beyound that door?" she asks, eye eyes regarding it thoughtfully.

occ: I'll stay by the stairs, until somthing makes me want to move in.

Stycotl
2008-09-04, 01:45 PM
Erox calls to his companions, "There is something moving up on the roof."

Erox then takes a look outside again, this time looking to see if Jirin's emplyees were still around, something he should have done earlier, he scolded himself.

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-04, 01:59 PM
*Beyond this door? Well, for one, there's rather a lot of rats. I think it leads to the sewers or something...*

Jirin shuffles over to the table and scans the room again. He looks up startledly at the lizardman's words. *The roof?!?*

GimliFett
2008-09-04, 02:02 PM
Tryx

"D'e roof?" Tryx inquires with a puzzled look. "How'n d'e hells'd she get up d'ere so quick?" He says as he moves back towards the stairs. "Shall we investigate, mon?"

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-04, 03:48 PM
Jirin nods. *We might as well; I doubt she's down here.*

Storm Bringer
2008-09-04, 03:50 PM
Fae didn't relpy. she was already bounding up the stairs, and across the shop to where Erox stood.

"where? What?" She asked, keeping her eyes on the roofline

Spot:1d20+7=14 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1720099/)

Tar Palantir
2008-09-04, 04:09 PM
Calamar

Calamar likewise moves to get a clear look at where Erox is indicating. He shouts, "Is there a way up on the rooftops? I'm no good from here."

[roll0]

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-04, 06:19 PM
Jirin shuffles over to a crate. *I have a ladder. Give me a second.* He pulls a large wooden ladder out of the crate and comes up the stairs with it.

Atop the roof is a fair elf woman with brunette hair, holding the cursed sword in one hand, a black glove covering the other. She is dressed in a merchant's outfit that is quite similar to that of the dwarven woman.

Stycotl
2008-09-04, 07:32 PM
Eroxon, still guarding the doorway, calls up to his friends as they reach the top of the roof, "Anything?"

GimliFett
2008-09-11, 01:31 PM
Tryx

"C'mon!" The goblin shouts before ignoring the ladder and scrambling up the wall as quick as a spider. "Wot're ya aboot, mon?" he asks the woman when he reaches the top.

Stycotl
2008-09-11, 05:37 PM
Eroxon continues to listen, both to the goings-on up on the roof, and the immediate area within and without the doorway in which he stands, blades drawn and awaiting any sign of danger.

Tar Palantir
2008-09-11, 06:40 PM
Calamar

Calamar hurries up the ladder after Tryx, adjusting his shield and drawing his sword at the top. He calls out to the elf, "I don't suppose you'd stop if I said please, shapeshifter?" He moves to try and cut her off.

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-11, 08:37 PM
The elf woman sneers at the pair atop the roof. She mutters to herself darkly in another language, one not immediately recognizable. Her eyes dart from the human to the goblin, attempting to assess which might be the greater threat.

Stycotl
2008-09-11, 11:55 PM
"Do you need my help?" Erox yells in concern as he hears the commotion up there. The dwarf is still a priority for him, but if something is happening to his allies that requires his aid, they know that he'll be there for them.

GimliFett
2008-09-12, 09:01 AM
Tryx

"Yer funeral, mon!" Tryx grins as he decides not to give the woman a chance to make the first move. He breathes out a line of acid directly at her.

Breath Weapon (Acid, Ref DC16): [roll0]; can't use for [roll1] rounds.

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-12, 10:55 AM
The elven woman attempts to dodge out of the way of the deadly stream, catching only part of the acidic blast. Though there is now a sizzling hole in her clothing, the flesh beneath appears unharmed.

GimliFett
2008-09-12, 10:58 AM
Tryx

"Wot d'e 'ell?!?" Tryx's grin disappears at the sight of the woman's lack of a wound.

Breath Weapon (Acid, Ref DC16): ; can't use for 1 round.

Storm Bringer
2008-09-14, 01:00 PM
Fawe scambles up the ladder, and draws her sword at the top, her eyes dark with fury,

ooc:
If i can make it up the ladder and reach her in one turn, I'll attack her.

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-15, 01:13 AM
"You think you can hurt me?" she asks the adventurers with a sneer. She focuses her attention on Fae, a sadistic grin on her face.

GimliFett
2008-09-15, 12:16 PM
Tryx

"Ya t'ink not, mon? Yer 'bout ta find out!" the goblin says as he moves forward, readying his morningstar and shield.

Breath Weapon (Acid, Ref DC16):; can't use for 1 round.

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-15, 01:58 PM
The shopkeeper shakes his head as he attempts to climb the ladder, coughing as he ascends.

[roll0]

Jirin makes it up the ladder, and brandishes his longsword in the elf's direction.

Storm Bringer
2008-09-15, 03:17 PM
fae struggled up the ladder, but upon reaching the top looked around in a almost dazed manner for a second or so, before focusing on the woman, the fire in her eyes gone, replaced with a look of curosity.

"... What is you seek, woman? Why go to the effort of stealing the sword in front of a well armed group of witnesses?
fae advanced slowly, slowly sheathing her sword, as she continued speaking.
"What is that sword worth to you? clearly a lot, but why? It is just a cursed sword." Faes eyes clouded slightly with thought and she looked off into the distance for a moment."but you would not bother to steal justa cursed sword." fae's eyes moved back to the woman "who are you, anyway?"

Stycotl
2008-09-16, 10:19 PM
"Who is up there? The dwarf?" Erox asks, hearing the commotion, especially the distinctive sound of Tryx's breath weapon. He curses his willingness to play door guard, and considers the chances of the dwarf still being in here...

Storm Bringer
2008-09-17, 08:20 AM
Fae's eyes defocused for a seconf, and she seemed to be listening to a voice no one else could hear. she was very close to the woman, almost in arms reach but made no move to attack her.

"... and you needed this sword so bad, you stole it? surely a few moments of bargining would have got you the sword, and without all this hassle?" faes turned to face Jirin her eyes narrowing.

"or do you have some reason to not want this woman to have the sword?" she asked.

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-17, 12:01 PM
*It is cursed. And if word got out that I was selling cursed weaponry to people, do you think people would buy from me?*

The shopkeeper glares at the elven woman, not lowering his guard for a second.

Storm Bringer
2008-09-17, 12:10 PM
"But you're not selling it without letting people know, are you? You've made no secret that the weapon is cursed, and one could hardly buy it without knowing it was cursed." fae turned back to the woman

"Which leads be back to my question to you. Why are you so keen to steal a cursed weapon? You said you need it, but why? what possible use is a cursed weapon?"

ooc: you guys are free to act, by the way. I'm rather hampered in what i can do, but don't feel restrained to inaction on my account.

Tar Palantir
2008-09-18, 05:11 AM
Calamar

Calamar walks, slowly and confidently, behind the elven woman, giving her some space, but cutting off her retreat. He says, "Come now. We can work this out without violence."

Stycotl
2008-09-18, 11:59 PM
Eroxon growls low and then darts for the ladder with a curse, and then calls out loud to his friends, "I'm coming up. I don't think anyone is down there, and if there is, I'll have to track them later."

With that, the small reptile alights on the ladder and begins to climb, taking his time, so as to listen, and so as not to fall (since i have no ranks in climb...).

GimliFett
2008-09-19, 09:46 AM
Tryx

"Bah! She's no' wort' it, mon! Le's jus' get it back from her corpse!" Tryx says as he inhales and breathes out another blast of acid at the woman, setting his dredlocks to swaying.

Breath Weapon (Acid, Ref DC16): [roll0]; can't use for [roll1] round.

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-19, 10:13 AM
The elven woman manages again to dodge the brunt of Tryx's attack. The stream of caustic fluid leaves another sizzling hole in her clothing, but she appears to be unharmed. She glares at the goblin malevolently. Her expression slowly changes to one of intense focus.

(OOC: Okay, guys, make your attacks of opportunity. EDIT: Except for Fae.)

Storm Bringer
2008-09-19, 10:15 AM
ooc: am i allowed to? I mean, all things considered......

Tar Palantir
2008-09-19, 02:32 PM
Taking a -4 to deal nonlethal damage

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Stycotl
2008-09-19, 02:51 PM
Erox reaches the top of the ladder and nocks an arrow, still standing on the topmost rungs of the ladder, using the wall for partial cover.

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-19, 04:13 PM
(OOC: I believe Calamar was the only one within range to hit her with an AoO, so I guess that's it.)

The sword bounces off of the woman's skin, eliciting a chuckle of amusement from the elf before she disappears a second time.

Jirin looks in the spot where the thief disappeared, searching for the elven woman. Finally he slumps his shoulders in exasperation. *HOW does she keep disappearing like that?*

Storm Bringer
2008-09-19, 04:55 PM
"Demension Door? a ring of Blink? serveral methods would do the job. the real question is: what do we do now?"

GimliFett
2008-09-19, 04:58 PM
Tryx

"Find a scroll o' locate object?" the goblin says as he looks back to his friends with a look of anger darkening his face.

Breath Weapon (Acid, Ref DC16): can't use for 1 round.

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-20, 12:43 PM
Jirin looks down from the stone roof of his shop to the street below. The bandaged shopkeeper clenches and unclenches his fist for long moments before turning back to the adventurers.

*That thief... can I trust you to try and catch her?*

Stycotl
2008-09-22, 11:09 PM
Eroxon had barely reached the top of the ladder when the *elf* disappeared. He was still and silent for a moment, hoping to catch a ripple of light or a scuffed footstep. But after the span of a few heartbeats, he scowls, and lowers his bow.

"Maybe she was an illusion, and the dwarf really disappeared back when we were all bumbling around..."

Storm Bringer
2008-09-23, 02:56 AM
"maybe. that is something to ponder. at any rate, yes, we will seek her, Jirin."

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-23, 07:16 PM
*Thank you.*

The hunchbacked shopkeeper coughs as he shuffles slowly over to the ladder.

Stycotl
2008-09-23, 10:41 PM
Erox climbs down and circles the building, looking for abnormal tracks or anything else that might catch his eye.

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-25, 10:37 PM
The merchant makes his way down the ladder after the lizardman. Jirin begins to unstrap his buckler as he heads inside.

*Hopefully you can get the sword back before someone gets hurt.*

Stycotl
2008-09-27, 05:02 PM
Eroxon crouches as he spots a piece of folded paper on the ground by the door. He examines it where it lays for a moment, trying to determine whether there are any tracks immediately nearby, or anything else. Then he picks up the paper and unfolds it.

(ooc-common language, i am assuming?)

"Well, take a look at this," The lizardfolk says loud enough for anyone outside still to hear him, "It appears to be a receipt of some sort, written in somewhat-shaky lettering,

"To the Order of: Gyvora
Method of Payment - Service Rendered"
The signature at the bottom says, "Alan."

Make any sense to you, Jirin?"

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-27, 06:31 PM
(Yes, in Common.)

Jirin returns his weapon and shield to their hidden compartment, and then shuffles back to Eroxon.

*Gyvora's not a name I recognize, but there's a fellow by name of Alan in town. He owns a shop in the Bazaar. I'm pretty sure this is one of his receipts.*

Storm Bringer
2008-09-28, 02:33 AM
"Well, since this the closest thing to a lead we have, i suggest we go visit this Alan."

Tar Palantir
2008-09-28, 09:36 AM
Calamar

Calamar moves down the ladder, sword sheathed and shield on his back. After the receipt is read, he says, "Indeed. We should move quickly, lest the curse have time to strike."

Storm Bringer
2008-09-28, 12:33 PM
"I really don't think she is worried about the curse. In fact, i think she knows far more about it than we do: not a diffcult feat, but an important one" Fae said as she scuttled down the ladder.

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-28, 01:36 PM
Jirin looks out at the street as the adventurers climb down. *Alan's is a few streets over and a good walk uptown.* He looks up at the sky, which is grey with clouds. *He'll probably be open for a few more hours.*

Storm Bringer
2008-09-28, 01:44 PM
"well, let us go and find him, then" fae says, looking around at the others.
ooc:
this is just me saying 'iam ready to move on now', or more to the point 'i have no more actions to take at this time'.

Stycotl
2008-09-30, 10:57 PM
Eroxon nods at Fae's pronouncement and starts down the road, "I am curious to see where this takes us--and admittedly, to find the dwarf-elf woman at Alan's, as it sounds to me like she may have been hired by him."

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-04, 02:53 PM
Jirin nods. *Hopefully our questions will be answered.* He turns around. *I have to mind my shop, though. I trust that you don't need me to take you there...*

Stycotl
2008-10-09, 02:59 PM

Erox shakes his head, "No, we should be able to find it."

Then he disappears from view of the shop and starts off in the direction of their quarry.

(next spot, search, and listen checks you might need from me:
spot: [roll0]
search: [roll1]
listen: [roll2])

Eroxon waits until he feels confident that the goblin is too far away to be capable of reading his thoughts, and then turns to his companions, "We need to be careful of how we enter into this coming encounter. For all we know, Jirin could be the true thief. I say that we pause to conduct a little bit of reconnaisance when we find our targets, before making our move."

Tar Palantir
2008-10-09, 03:02 PM
Calamar

Calamar frowns slightly, and says, "Jirin seems honorable to me." He then shrugs. "But for the sake of thoroughness we should investigate nonetheless."

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-15, 04:02 PM
Tryx grumbles to himself as he climbs down the wall after his friends. The goblin seems perplexed by the thief's resistence to his acidic attack.

After listening to his friends speak, Tryx says, "Luhnnin' a few more facts about Jirin prob'ly ain't a bad idea, mon."

Stycotl
2008-10-16, 08:10 PM
Erox nods at Tryx's wisdom, "Precisely. And learning from his supposed enemies could be an even more bluntly honest source of information than otherwise."

Storm Bringer
2008-10-17, 04:41 AM
"indeed. I think this is the road we wish to take" fae said, turning up the new street."now, anybody know what this Alan's shop looks like?"

Stycotl
2008-10-21, 11:16 AM
Erox looks back at the group, "The name sounds familiar. I am sure that we have been in that neighborhood looking for work just a few months ago. But I cannot be sure until we get there. It would be profitable for us to ask around as we go, though I should not be the one doing the asking--preferably one of you that is not so easily recognized."

TheCountAlucard
2008-11-06, 02:04 PM
(...bump...)

Stycotl
2008-11-13, 12:57 AM
(i'm gonna make the assumption that we got to within the neighborhood that we're looking for--for game's sake)

Eroxon takes a few moments to study the buildings and the scenery around them here, looking for potential dangers, and potential sources of information.

(how many people out? what kind of shops are there in this neighborhood? oh, and what time o' day is it? yeah, my brain is leaking...)

GimliFett
2008-11-15, 10:24 PM
Tryx

"We ready fo' d'is?" the goblin asks his friends.

Stycotl
2008-11-19, 12:54 AM
Erox only smiles in answer to his goblin companion, and continues his lookout for anything useful in their search.

Stycotl
2008-11-28, 11:00 PM
Then he twiddles his thumbs for a few minutes as he waits for his friends to catch up with him.

Stycotl
2008-12-27, 02:42 PM
bump, and merry christmas/happy hanukkah/happy kwanza/etc, etc!

Stycotl
2009-02-26, 10:42 PM
well, it was fun while it lasted. see you guys around.