PDA

View Full Version : Horus Heresy Series [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Lorn
2008-07-27, 02:17 PM
So, I decided to read the Horus Heresy series again before the release of Battle for the Abyss (August 8th.)

Just finished reading Fulgrim again, and was wondering - any more fans of the series in the playground?

(For those that aren't in the Know, it's based on the Warhammer 40K background, detailing what happens before and during the Horus Heresy that shapes the Imperium of Man and the Chaos Marines. So far the series is comprised of:
Horus Rising
False Gods
Galaxy in Flames
Flight of the Eisenstein
Fulgrim
Descent of Angels
Legion)

comicshorse
2008-07-27, 03:16 PM
I've read up to Descent of Angels, which was so bad it put me off reading further. But all the others were really good so I may give Legion a try. Is it worth it ?

Lorn
2008-07-27, 03:34 PM
It's.. confusing.

I went into it hoping for more Marine action. There isn't much that I remember till the end. Having said that, I've read it once, and that was when it came out and had exams fairly soon after, so I don't really remember it that well.

Depends if you like Abnett, really.

Read the preview for Battle for the Abyss by the way? It's up on the Black Library :)

Somebloke
2008-07-27, 03:41 PM
I've read up to Descent of Angels, which was so bad it put me off reading further. But all the others were really good so I may give Legion a try. Is it worth it ?Ironically, I haven't read Descent of Angels, as I have heard it is the very worst in the series.

I think Legion is Dan Abnet, which tends to be a safe bet.

comicshorse
2008-07-27, 03:50 PM
Believe me you heard right !
Luckily it adds absolutely nothing to the overall plot so it can be skipped without losing the thread of the overall plot

Lorn
2008-07-27, 03:59 PM
I think it's (DoA) building up to smoething, not sure though.

It shows the whole thing with Luther getting increasingly jealous, because obviously he doesn't get to be a Marine because of his age while the man who he's been a rival of his entire life becomes the overall commander. From him then getting sent back to Caliban, I'd say there's a good chance that this is revisited slightly in later books when
he turns against the Lion with a large part of the Legion.

Still, it's nothing like as well written as most of the other books - Horus Rising being an amazing example of this.

SmartAlec
2008-07-27, 06:29 PM
There's been a long-standing rumour that the real secret of the Dark Angels is that it wasn't Luther that turned to Chaos, it was the Lion. I'm hoping that the sequel to Descent of Angels puts this to rest one way or another.

WNxHasoroth
2008-07-28, 03:59 AM
My personal feelings on the Horus Heresy series is that: Galaxy in Flames, Fulgrim, and Descent of Angels, as well as Legion should be avoided, for the new comer.

The first three should be avoided because, well, they aren't too well written.

Legion on the other hand should be avoided until you have a lot of time to figure out all the puzzles, its a very engaging book, but not exactly light reading.

Lorn
2008-07-28, 08:06 AM
Galaxy in Flames is pretty integral to the entire plot of the entire series, though. Best just to read them in order, really.

There's one thing that's confusing me by the way. From Fulgrim.

In Fulgrim, when Fulgrim gets the daemon-sword, ok. That's fine, I can live with a primarch-sized sword being there. But at the end, Lucius recieves it. So, uh, did it magically change size so that Lucius would be able to wield it to the same effect as his old sword, or..? All the miniatures of Lucius - or conversions - have him with a normal sized, possibly a bit shorter than normal sized sword. With the references to the size of a primarch, I can't see it being any larger than a large hunting knife or something in the hands of Fulgrim.

Wizzardman
2008-07-28, 08:19 AM
Galaxy in Flames is pretty integral to the entire plot of the entire series, though. Best just to read them in order, really.

There's one thing that's confusing me by the way. From Fulgrim.

In Fulgrim, when Fulgrim gets the daemon-sword, ok. That's fine, I can live with a primarch-sized sword being there. But at the end, Lucius recieves it. So, uh, did it magically change size so that Lucius would be able to wield it to the same effect as his old sword, or..? All the miniatures of Lucius - or conversions - have him with a normal sized, possibly a bit shorter than normal sized sword. With the references to the size of a primarch, I can't see it being any larger than a large hunting knife or something in the hands of Fulgrim.

Surprisingly enough, the fluff indicates that Primarchs aren't that much bigger than your run-of-the-mill Space Marine.

---

Gotta love the Horus Heresy. Legion was good, and made sense (given some of the fluff for Alpha Legion), but I honestly suspect that the whole thing was actually a gigantic Tzeentchian superplot.

Personally, I'm waiting for Mechanicum.

hamishspence
2008-07-28, 09:30 AM
Aforesaid longstanding rumour begins with Gave Thorpe's Angels of darkness. Although, it wasn't so much "turn to chaos" as

"He was waiting to see who won, of course."

Lorn
2008-07-28, 10:16 AM
Surprisingly enough, the fluff indicates that Primarchs aren't that much bigger than your run-of-the-mill Space Marine.
There's a lot of quotes in the HH series about "Primarchs being even more gigantic than Space Marines," which is what gets me confused :/

Personally, I'm waiting for Mechanicum.
Same, definitely. Thought it came out next, then I realised it's Battle for the Abyss. Still should be good though, from the preview thing... hehe.